• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameTyrant Expo 2018 Announced

GTX_2K18_announcement.jpg

GameTyrant has announced the return of GameTyrant Expo for 2018, featuring Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Melee as headliners. The event is set to run from November 2nd-4th at the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City, Utah. Alongside the main titles, there will also be brackets for League of Legends, Dragonball FighterZ, Fortnite: Battle Royale, and Overwatch. There will be a $5,000 pot bonus for each Singles bracket of Smash titles, and a $1,000 bonus for every other bracket.

While GTX 2017 had some initial doubt to overcome, many who attended came away with a highly optimistic outlook on the tournament’s future. As a result, GTX 2018 is likely to be among the most highly anticipated tournaments for the year.

The most interesting addition to the lineup is Super Smash Bros. Switch, as its logo is displayed on the banner of games included. When asked about this, Zeb Jackson, one of the organizers, explained that this was only a possibility for the tournament. However, this is only if the game is released prior to November. If it comes out before GTX 2018, then it may be among the first major tournaments to run the title. For now, its inclusion in the lineup is tentative until new information arises.

Registration is already open for those who wish to attend, with an early bird special for $55 for venue and $10 per event. For anybody who wishes to attend, there is a cap of 1000 entrants for Smash titles and 500 for other games.

The GTX website can be found here, and the Smashgg page can be found here.

Last edited:
Austin "Verity" Karn

Comments

This is cool!

Unfortunately, part of me feels like this is going to be a repeat of Frostbite 2018: everyone anticipating a large underdog run throughout the tournament using a underutilized character (Frostbite with Lucario and GTX with Luigi), but ends up not meeting expectations on that regard and everyone blames on Bayo for it (plus the fact that the tournament was not as stacked as other majors). I really hope it is not the case for GTX 2018 and everyone learned their lesson from Frostbite 2018.

There are also a chance (although much smaller) that Smash Switch may be released before the event starts.

Still, this event leaves me anticipated!

Unfortunately, part of me feels like this is going to be a repeat of Frostbite 2018: everyone anticipating a large underdog run throughout the tournament using a underutilized character (Frostbite with Lucario and GTX with Luigi), but ends up not meeting expectations on that regard and everyone blames on Bayo for it (plus the fact that the tournament was not as stacked as other majors). I really hope it is not the case for GTX 2018 and everyone learned their lesson from Frostbite 2018.

There are also a chance (although much smaller) that Smash Switch may be released before the event starts.

Still, this event leaves me anticipated!
people will blame anything that they don't like about a tournament on Bayonetta without taking in to account the number of other possibilities like more entrants

but I honestly don't care if a Bayonetta or 2 or 3 do well in the tournament as long as the tournament is exciting

Last edited:
A question to the author of the article... Is your tag, Verity, as in Lake Verity from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum? Also, I like your personal description. "A poor sap who..." etc.

A question to the author of the article... Is your tag, Verity, as in Lake Verity from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum? Also, I like your personal description. "A poor sap who..." etc.
While its the same word, I did not take the inspiration from Pokemon. Rather, it was part of the title of a blog I used to run called Synthetic Verity, which means Man-Made Truth.

Top Bottom