• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games Inspired by Super Smash Brothers ?

mario15

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylemshipley
3DS FC
3351-4555-2812
A couple of years ago, I purchased a game that I really shouldn't have. The game was Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL (I'm not kidding), it was basically a fighting game in which you played as your favorite characters from the various shows throughout Cartoon Network's history like Johnny Bravo, The Power Puff Girls, Dexter from Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, and so on. The game featured mechanics very similar to Smash Brothers, in fact it's practically identical; build up your opponent's damage and launch them off the stage, you can use smash attacks, tilts, special moves, you can shield, spot dodge, roll dodge, and air dodge, it's pretty much all there from Smash. This sounds great as a concept, but the execution is where the game falls apart. While the developers of Smash took time and care to fine tune everyone's moveset to make sure every character was balanced with there own set of advantages and disadvantages, Cartoon Network PTE XL saw fit to make every character indistinguishable from one another by giving them all nearly identical movesets. The skill element in Smash was also crucial, you would have to study the moves of the characters to know what play style would be efficient for each character, is your character powerful but slow like Bowser? Play defensively by guarding often and look for openings to smash your opponents, is your character fast and agile, but lacks the power of heavier characters? Use your speed and agility to your advantage and go on the offensive. None of these complexities can be found in Cartoon Network PTE, the main "strategy" for this game is to find one move that works and use it again and again. The game feels unstable as a whole, as I've had many instances where stages would fail to load properly or the game would freeze up altogether. You can tell from the moment you launch the game on the wii menu that it isn't put together very well, as you'll be treated with this lovely noise from your wii when it starts loading up the disc, I was actually afraid at times that the game would break my wii. By far the worst aspect of Cartoon Network PTE XL, is that this game was a second attempt, the first version of the game was released on the 3ds a few months earlier, the fancy XL version for wii added new characters and stages, but didn't fix any of the bugs and gameplay flaws that were present in the 3ds version. I skipped over some details of the game like the lackluster story mode, but I honestly don't care to talk about it, all you need to know is that this isn't a very good game. With all this being said, I still don't know what made me buy it, maybe it was the little kid in me that wanted to play as Samurai Jack, that's really the only reason I can think of. Now some of you may be asking, "If you hate this game so much, why talk about it?" Well, my point is that after I played this game, I appreciated how polished and well made the Smash Brothers games are, I rwalized that these games are a labor of love from Mr Sakurai and his team. Now on that note, what games have you guys played that you would consider knock offs of Super Smash Brothers, and did they make you appreciate the source material more? Maybe you've played games that were inspired by Smash brothers that you really enjoy, let me know in the comments.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
It depends on what you mean by knock off. I believe the term that would suit the title better is, "Inspired." Anyway, I'd say that SSF2 and Rivals of Aether's are pretty good smash inspirations.

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016
I got this game out of the Loot Crate a while ago called Brawlhalla. It's got the same basics as all other party brawlers; rack up damage, hit strong attack, knock enemy off stage. It's major difference is each character has the same basic moves, and a set of two different obtainable weapons from pickups on the map. Each character has a different combination of two weapons, with some having unique ones like the Minotaurs BattleAxe. The character you pick depends less on their stats and more on what weapons you like most. Still, the different weapon combos does give the game a meta, do you pick the close range powerhouse hammer(my favorite), or the long range, acrobatic pistols. I wouldn't say it's as good as RoA or SSF2, but it's a pretty good party brawler.

mario15

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylemshipley
3DS FC
3351-4555-2812
It depends on what you mean by knock off. I believe the term that would suit the title better is, "Inspired." Anyway, I'd say that SSF2 and Rivals of Aether's are pretty good smash inspirations.
Yeah, Super Smash Flash 2 is great, I've never played Rivals of Aether's. I've edited the title of the thread, thanks for the feedback.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Jump Super/Ultimate Stars was one. It was actually pretty fun. Besides the fan service for people that like Jump manga, the bottom screen mechanics was actually really cool. It'd be like customizing a deck, but instead you're creating a page with panels for what you have. Panels that were the size of 1 were items, 2 were assists, and 3 or greater were characters that you could switch from. The issues it had besides balance were boring stages and nothing like DI to make it more interesting. It was a good time killer, though. Much better than I thought it'd be since I don't usually expect much from titles like these.

NNID
GateThief
3DS FC
1719-4174-7629
If you haven't played Rivals of Aether's try Super Smash Land. It's a free Smash fan game that was made it look it was for the Gameboy and made by the same guy that is making RoA.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I know I've played a pretty mediocre SSB inspired game I got for the PS2 called Digimon Rumble Arena 2 years ago. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel all that fun due to the crappy level design and some of the characters being broken. There's also Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale and it wasn't a bad game at all despite the weird game design.

Top Bottom