• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamer's Edge Cafe Presents: Judgement! 01/31 Melee / Brawl Tournament. Fort Mill, SC

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Gamer’s Edge Café Presents – Judgement 1

It’s time for SC / NC to get their representation as a tournament spot. I expect someone from every state on the East Coast to make their way to this tournament. No Johns. FL and NJ, this means you. Come on, step it up.

Hopefully the first of many potentially bi / tri-monthly Saturday tournaments here at Gamer’s Edge. Housing is available for out of state smashers. I have a house which can comfortably house just about as many people as are needed. I am charging NO housing fee, but you are responsible for feeding yourself. My house is approximately 2 minutes from the venue.

Date
January 31st, 2009. Tentative date, but likely to be finalized soon.

http://www.gamersedgecafe.com/1.html
849 Stockbridge Drive
Fort Mill, SC, 29708
Store Phone Number: (803)802-9350
My phone number(cell): (803)431-1618

Located a mere 15 minutes from Charlotte, NC; Gamer’s Edge café is a perfect gathering point for players coming from GA, NC, and MD/VA. It’s about 5 hours from GA, and 6-7 from VA. I’ve driven to and from both for tournaments, and the drive is not bad at all.
The Venue is an Internet Café. One side of the café is generally devoted to PC gaming, I will be converting this into additional space for setups. The Café itself has 4 HD televisions, and 2 copies of brawl. The Venue is in the same shopping center as a Lowe’s Foods grocery store, a Red Bowl Asian Bistro, and Sonny’s Dutch Mill. Within 5 minutes driving distance, there are a dozen restaurants to choose from. The Venue itself sells energy drinks, sodas, and food from a snack machine. We have cans of energy drinks sold separately at the register.

Deodorant rule is in effect; no johns. This applies to both the venue, and my house if I am housing you.

Tentative Schedule
11:00 A.M: Doors Open. Registration begins.
1:00 P.M: Melee Doubles Begins
3:00 P.M. Melee Singles Begins
5:00 P.M. Brawl Doubles Begins
7:00 P.M. Brawl Singles Begins

If there is time, I want to do an NC vs. SC Crew Battle. Chea.

Pricing
Venue Fee: $3 per event you are going to be entering. This money goes direct to the venue, so that we may continue to utilize the space. Total of $12 dollars if you enter all 4 events. $6 if you enter 2 of the 4 events, which I think is very reasonable. The NC vs. SC Crew battle will be done on the side, and will be free.

***Anyone who brings either a copy of Melee, Brawl, a TV, a Wii, or a Gamecube will only be charged $2 per event they are entering. Anyone who brings more than one of these items will only be charged $1 per event they are entering. ***

Singles Entry Fee(Melee and Brawl): $15
Doubles Entry Fee(Melee and Brawl): $10 (Per person, a total of $20 a team)

Prize Payout
Singles:
60% - First Place
20% - Second Place
10% - Third Place
5% - Fourth Place
2.5% - Fifth Place (x2)

Doubles:
70% - First Place
20% - Second Place
10% - Third Place

Rules
Melee Rule Set

General Rules
Double Elimination
All matches are best of 3
Winner’s Finals, Loser’s Finals, and Grand Final’s are Best of 5
4 stock
8 minute limit
Ties broken by lives/percentage
Items OFF
Life stealing is allowed in doubles
Team Attack is set to “On”
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
Wallbomb stalling is banned
Controller Modifications are banned
BYOC
Double Blind Character Selection may be called for any first match in the set

Set Format
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches

Stages limited to the 6 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story,
Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium

Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, Onett, Green Greens, Jungle Japes, Corneria

--------------------------------

Brawl Rule Set

General Rules

3 stock

8 minute timer

Items are set to 'off' and 'none'

All sets are best of three, except winners finals, losers finals, and grand
finals sets, which are best of 5

Controller ports are decided by coin flip, both parties should inspect the
coin before the flip takes place.

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless
agreed upon.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins
the coin flip will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports,
and then the teammate of the coin flip winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by
percentage.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned. That means this can't even be
used to avoid invincibility at the beginning of the stock (to avoid
confusion).

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or
errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if
possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings
BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller
functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing,
disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that
match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for
knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering
one of these effects.

Stalling is banned, which is defined by: The act of deliberately avoiding any
and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from
an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an
infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end
quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. NO PLAYER MAY PLANK THE EDGE (stall on the edge with a lead for longer than 10 seconds). If there is a question of this happening, the match is allowed to be paused so a judge can be called over to watch the remainder of the match.

Standing Infinites are banned. This includes(but is not limited to) Dedede’s small-step chain grab*

Clarification: Dedede must dash in between each grab.

Set Format (In order of Procedure)
1) Opponents choose their characters for the first match. (Double blind character selection may be called for this match)
2) Each player may announce one stage to ban for the set
3) The first game is played on a random stage chosen from the list of neutral stages
4) The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5) The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6) The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7) Repeat steps 4-6 for all proceeding matches in the set

Stage List

Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Island
Smashville
Final Destination

Counterpick stages
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise

Suicide Rules:

If Kirby, Ganon, Wario, Dedede, or Bowser are able to end a match in a tie due to their
suicide moves, the sudden death is ignored, and the match is awarded to the one who used the suicide move.

Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she
may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is
so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that
there is not unnecessary confusion.

Setups List
TV’s
Gamer’s Edge Café(4)
Criosphinx(1)
Decoy(1)

Wii’s
Gamer’s Edge Café(1)
Criosphinx(1)
Devin(1)
ARS(1)

Melee
Criosphinx(1)
Devin(1)

Brawl
Gamer’s Edge Café(1)
Criosphinx(1)
ARS(1)
Devin(1)

Gamecube

People Interested / Attendees
Criosphinx
Devin (Zcasanova)
Decoy
ARS
TGB (Thegreatbo)
Wind
Jman
XAT
Kackamee
JoeC(TheDirector)
Sushi-Man
Lord Karn
Dr.Peepee
Duo55
Zoop
Kuja
Mitsu
Snap
Mega_Smash
Yoshido
Neb
Omni
Karn
Rag(+4-5)
Biglou
Kismet
Reflex
DPM
Flamingo
KillerSOS
Dogy
Umby
Silver
Philmaster
DarkLava
D_Shep
Jaqen
Ptown
Ali
Rohan
Zero-Tolerance
Yoshi-Kirby
Stingers
TRC
Flamin' Roy
Kidd

dmbrandon

Smash Master
D3, Wario, and Kirby should not be awarded wins due to their suicides. They should have a 1stock match, if sudden death is forced.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Located a mere 15 minutes from Charlotte, NC; Gamer’s Edge café is a perfect gathering point for players coming from GA, NC, and MD/VA.
Unless you're speeding excessively, it's actually 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

If there is time, I want to do an NC vs. SC Crew Battle. Chea.
**** YEAH! Hopefully, this'll be a good reason for my group to come down to this.

Prize Payout
Singles:
60% - First Place
20% - Second Place
10% - Third Place
5% - Fourth
*2.5% - Fifth*
Just thought I'd fix that up. After all, there are usually two people who make fifth place in double elimination brackets.

Other than that, I don't see anything else to correct. Good shiz, Crio! I'll try my best to get to this. It sounds like a lot of fun.

D3, Wario, and Kirby should not be awarded wins due to their suicides. They should have a 1stock match, if sudden death is forced.
And not Bowser? That's saying Bowsercides are ok but Kirby/Wario/DDDcides are not. Besides, if you're caught by a bitecide or a swallowcide, then you're the one who was standing too close to the edge. Sure suicide wins are cheap but then again, so are many other things that go on in competitive tournaments.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Just thought I'd fix that up. After all, there are usually two people who make fifth place in double elimination brackets.
Good point Phil... I had forgotten all about that.

And I agree. If you are foolish enough to get caught in a swallow/bite-icide, then you kinda deserve the loss. They are VERY telegraphed attacks.

Ugh....maybe.
Do it Behr! I'll go to HERB if I'm not in jail!

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Make Green Greens, Jungle Japes, & Corneria legal for Singles and Teams and I'll go.
I don't know the melee rules as well as the Barlw rules. If those stages are generally accepted, I have no problem unbanning them.

M2k and Mango did play like... 4 matches of the set on Corneria at Pound 3, come to think of it.

The Director

Smash Lord
Yes. I'm coming to this. Please ignore my recent debacle of a tournament turnout lately. this is on a Saturday, so I'll most def. be able to show up.

BEHR

Smash Hero
You know there's Melee here too right?

Speaking of which, maybe I can talk some other SC Melee bros into comin to this.
Yuh I saw dont know ig G-Boro is up for it.

Crios- I'll try.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lmao dark hart

Crio, I'll see if I can come, but there's a tournament in Boone, NC a week prior I know I'm going to. I'll see what I can do to make this one.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
lmao dark hart

Crio, I'll see if I can come, but there's a tournament in Boone, NC a week prior I know I'm going to. I'll see what I can do to make this one.
**** Boone, all they do up there is party at App state and make dolls out of wood.

The name's ghey, tho. Judgement? Really? That's the best you could come up with?
I like it. And it reminds me of that 2-dimensional robot man inside my heart.

Granted, it's not as cool as MoJoe.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
**** Boone, all they do up there is party at App state and make dolls out of wood.

It's also an hour away, as opposed to an hour and 20 minutes. Big difference there.

DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK BOY!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Who are you helping out again?

My preference has nothing to do with it (aside from making me more willing to point out the truth).

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
crio:

ban PS2 and Pirate Ship and Corneria for Brawl. really now.
Corneria is in NO way a ban worthy stage. The one wall is an optional part of the stage. Really, If someone plays Dedede on Corneria, and you get baited to the bottom section, on the wrong side, with a character who's susceptible, without managing to retaliate, you deserve to lose the stock. Meanwhile, a very low ceiling on the wing, and a narrow right side both add an interesting array of options for multiple characters. I see absolutely zero reason to ban Corneria.

I can agree with your sentiment on Pirate Ship, but really, it's not in any way a match-breaking hazard. Banning Pirate Ship has always puzzled me, and I personally think it should stay on.

PS2 I can agree with. **** that stage. I only banned it, though, because most of the time you are competing against the stage as opposed to your opponent. That, in my opinion, is the central factor in whether or not a stage should be banned.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm fine with the decisions on Corneria and PS2, but you're sure you don't wanna scrap Pirate ship? That stage is so silly.

The bombs, while telegraphed, force players to take quite a bit of energy from their fight (over time, as they are fairly frequently) to avoid them. The weightlessness option is silly but manageable I suppose. Even so, combining that with the water and rocks just forces players to deal with the stage half the time.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
Since I love Gamer's Edge so much, I decided to contribute to this tourney in two ways.

First of all, I placed an ad on AllisBrawl. Crio, if you don't approve and want me to take it down, I'll do so. http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4060 If you do approve, it might be a good idea to put the link in the first post.

Second, I told my Californian friend about the tourney. He said he'll think about coming and might tell a few friends. He says he'll give me a definite answer no later than a week before the tourney.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
And not Bowser? That's saying Bowsercides are ok but Kirby/Wario/DDDcides are not. Besides, if you're caught by a bitecide or a swallowcide, then you're the one who was standing too close to the edge. Sure suicide wins are cheap but then again, so are many other things that go on in competitive tournaments.[/QUOTE]

You know not of which you speak. This rule has been set in stone for months.

Make Green Greens, Jungle Japes, & Corneria legal for Singles and Teams and I'll go.

Joke post.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Thanks Phil, appreciate that. I don't mind that at all, I just don't frequent AiB.

DMB: you botched your tags, bro.

And I'm aware of this being a generally accepted rule, but it doesn't make it any less inane. Again, if you fall victim to a swallowcide on the last stock of all things, you deserve the loss. They are so blatantly obvious. A person going for a swallowcide is essentially going to radically alter their style to do that, and it's easily punishable.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
I do know of that which I speak. I stated my opinion on the rule and the TO agreed with me. The SBR's recommended ruleset is a template. The TO is allowed to add, subtract, and change rules as he or she pleases. Otherwise, the notes wouldn't say "This list is not meant to be copied and pasted, but instead copied and adjusted to fit each tournaments situation (time limits, regional philosophies, etc.)."

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
OMGZZEY Put's me down for this Crio. But I'm alittle torn, If there in fact is a crew battle, what side and I'm on NC or SC? I live so close to the border, I may as well live in SC, and plus, I probably spend more time in SC than in NC (save for school) So I unno...I'm more toward SC just because I'm closer to the people there

The Director

Smash Lord
I like it. And it reminds me of that 2-dimensional robot man inside my heart.
Its a good name for a tournament, it just sounds a little...generic.

what side and I'm on NC or SC? I live so close to the border, I may as well live in SC, and plus, I probably spend more time in SC than in NC
I would fall under the same category. I play more with SC people. I would very much like a crew battle.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
JoeC and Kack are both SC to me. Besides, we'll invariably need moar people just because NC has a billion bros.

Lareit

Smash Ace
JoeC and Kack are both SC to me. Besides, we'll invariably need moar people just because NC has a billion bros.
Less of a state crew battle and more of a venue crew battle.

IE: Gamers Edge versus Broloving beastly bros.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
i vote we rename the tournament DOOM. lol.

not really.

10fails
Gamer's Edge Cafe presents DOOM Starring Dwayne Johnson and that protagonist that nobody cares about!!!

10iddqd

Do we have any OOS interest? I hope I've managed to garner some.

Lareit

Smash Ace
Gamer's Edge Cafe presents DOOM Starring Dwayne Johnson and that protagonist that nobody cares about!!!

10iddqd

Do we have any OOS interest? I hope I've managed to garner some.
Doom would of been 10x more interesting if The Rock was the main chr and he went around blowing up demons and spouting one liners.

Instead of that wierd alien,family, sibling, emo solider, ****.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Doom would of been 10x more interesting if The Rock was the main chr and he went around blowing up demons and spouting one liners.

Instead of that wierd alien,family, sibling, emo solider, ****.
But rock was all manly at the end, after he shot the computer nerd / new soldier, whatever.

And then he started transforming into Cher.

Top Bottom