• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

Icedmana

Smash Rookie
I swear there was a cancel option...
Do you know that too?
I haven't found anything. Were they talking about just waiting on the pin to end? She drops after a couple of seconds but beyond that not sure.

Partial_Credit

Smash Rookie
Found an interesting trap in which you can follow up a fair --> footstool with a fastfall neutral B. It doesn't cover everything, but depending on where you land, you can cover many getup options at once with the combination of the shot and the chomp.

Landing an Fsmash length away from them can cover roll back, roll towards, do nothing (and getup attack I think?), but they can escape with the invincibility of neutral getup. Landing close to them will cover roll away, neutral getup, getup attack (make sure to land just outside their getup attack range), and do nothing.

None of these followups are 100% guaranteed, so I suggest using more reliable footstool setups such as FS --> dair --> DL at lower percents where they are guaranteed, but FS --> neutral B functions over a wider percent range (~ 0-40%) and gives you a chance to land the fully charged fang if they make a mistake.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
corrin is almost able to short hop double fair....the second fair barely doesnt come out...
but you can short hop fair into DL, either in front of you or behind you when you read a roll behind you after your fair...thats pretty cool.

Hyjacked

Smash Rookie
It seems like UThrow is a kill throw too, maybe even sooner than DThrow. On FD in training I killed Mario off the top at 160% each with no DI.

Icedmana

Smash Rookie
Maybe another small thing with the lunge/pin:

Inputting left/right after the lance is in the ground gets the kick out faster. Spamming attack buttons seems slower by a few frames. I was testing on Mario at 30% damage. lunge starts -> spam A wasn't a true combo. wait for pin -> direction input was true comboing.

D

Deleted member

With Dair's low landing lag, we can get some really nice combos!

Fair > footstool Dair > DL is true at low percentages.
I never thought I'd see the day when a stall-then-fall Dair could be used as a combo starter outside of the occasional missed-tech-groundbounce setups, lol.

Also can we talk about how Dair does like 19% damage or more, that's ridiculous.

------------------------------
So, after playing with it for a little bit, it turns out Corrin can Dair offstage (right next to the ledge) and make it back to the ledge, the only thing is that she can only do it out of a Full Hop (and for all intents and purposes you need to be at the very top of the FH to give yourself enough height so that you can come back), and then to come back she has to double jump as early as possible out of the U-B and angle Dragon Ascent backwards so that she can fly straight up, at which point she'll grab the ledge just as she stops rising and begins to fall.

Are we :4sonic: yet? :teeth:

Last edited by a moderator:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I never thought I'd see the day when a stall-then-fall Dair could be used as a combo starter outside of the occasional missed-tech-groundbounce setups, lol.

Also can we talk about how Dair does like 19% damage or more, that's ridiculous.

------------------------------
So, after playing with it for a little bit, it turns out Corrin can Dair offstage (right next to the ledge) and make it back to the ledge, the only thing is that she can only do it out of a Full Hop (and for all intents and purposes you need to be at the very top of the FH to give yourself enough height so that you can come back), and then to come back she has to double jump as early as possible out of the U-B and angle Dragon Ascent backwards so that she can fly straight up, at which point she'll grab the ledge just as stops rising and begins to fall.

Are we :4sonic: yet? :teeth:
Don't forget pinning the stage wall and jumping before upB.
Awwwwww yissssssssss

Zubatman27

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zubatcontrol
While doing the same inputs to initiate Dragon Lunge ever so slightly after press attack or c stick for instant Dragon Lunge. It is also possible with special but is very unreliable. You will instantly stick to the ground, instead of waiting.

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Thanks a lot for this! I was having trouble instantly sticking into the ground

Cooly23

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-5547-7609
i can confirm that fully charged side smash (with the hitbox during charge up hitting the opponent) will kill at 100% and over that.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget pinning the stage wall and jumping before upB.
Awwwwww yissssssssss
Oh right Corrinn can do that.

Which makes this safer to do on walled Omegas.

Also snapping to the ledge is a lot easier afterwards (increasing the effective horizontal range of how far out Corrin can go) if you U-B to the ledge while facing the stage instead of the blastzone.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
You can also run off and b reverse the up b into the stage, similar to the other swordies.

Benoas

Smash Cadet
This is really fun when you are retreating and can instantly throw one out behind you to catch them off guard

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Yeah discovered this last night. I found the best way to consistently execute it is to slide your thumb over the b and a buttons as soon as you can.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I know Upthrow kills the same with all fire emblem characters, and yet it's a combo throw at low percentages. Down through has that nice screen shake and just looks painful, and of course has higher base knockback, but by 150, the up throw seems to kill first. am I missing something with the Down throw here? Do you think they'll up the scaling on it in a few days? is it just there to get some breathing room?

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I know Upthrow kills the same with all fire emblem characters, and yet it's a combo throw at low percentages. Down through has that nice screen shake and just looks painful, and of course has higher base knockback, but by 150, the up throw seems to kill first. am I missing something with the Down throw here? Do you think they'll up the scaling on it in a few days? is it just there to get some breathing room?
Somehow, i think down throw scale more with rage than up, but i'm problably wrong

D

Deleted member

Who knows?
It can be a kill throw in some situations, but I would just stick with Up Throw...
Down Throw as well as Back and Forward Throw are more so stage positioning Throws, resetting the Neutral.

Deemo

Smash Rookie
Do you know about when upsmash kills? I know it depends per character, but can you give me a rough percentage?

So dsmash, fsmash, and sideb all have tippers? Not usmash?
Sorry for the late reply. I was tired for staying up so late. Anyways, I tested out the percantages and here's what I got:

Up Smash kill percentages (Non-tipper)

Lightweights - 100% - 110%

Midweights - 120% - 130%

Heavyweights - 145% - 150%

I haven't really looked into the tipper part of Up smash, but I suspect that it could possibly kill each weightclass 15% - 20% earlier depending on DI.

Just like Marth however, the tipper for the Up smash is somewhat difficult to land, so I don't find it too reliable. But as I stated before, I mostly use it to punish Oos due to its fast start-up.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Upthrow is your goto when your opponent is at 150 and higher, but if you have a ton of rage and your opponent is at a lower % (like say 138?) Downthrow is better since it scales better with rage.

Last edited:

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Yo.

How do you cancel once you've pinned someone from side b? Front kick, back kick, and jump are obvious, but cancel? It's not just waiting it out, is it? Everything I've tried leads to the front kick.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure the cancel is just waiting it out unfortunately...until we maybe figure out how.

Kadc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kadc_network
yeah and most just mash out so you can't get the cancel

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Down-throw scales better with rage.

Merging to Q&A thread.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
While doing the same inputs to initiate Dragon Lunge ever so slightly after press attack or c stick for instant Dragon Lunge. It is also possible with special but is very unreliable. You will instantly stick to the ground, instead of waiting.
Merging to Gameplay discussion thread.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So I wanted to know how you guys would approach characters with Corrin

Was fighting my friend for a while and would go for a variation of dtilt, ftilt, and grabs

dtilt is really good, links into utilt / uair and ftilt would get them in the air but besides these I really didn't know how to pressure shield
Merging into Q&A thread.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
You can land cancel side-b if you do it close enough to the ground, you can also ledge cancel grounded side-b's jump(prob should confirm this one. I might just test it several times later) if you land on the ledge and then slide off.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
One thing I found out about Corrin's kick out of DL is the sooner you hit your opponent the more damage you do.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Upthrow is your goto when your opponent is at 150 and higher, but if you have a ton of rage and your opponent is at a lower % (like say 138?) Downthrow is better since it scales better with rage.
This is really good to know. I've been using Dthrow as my go-to throw so far in order to keep Uthrow from staling; it does more damage than Fthrow/Bthrow, and I feel like it's more dangerous for the opponent to be above Corrin than to be in a tech-chase situation since we're not usually fast enough to cover those on-stage options. F/Bthrow are obviously best for setting up into offstage situations though.

Top Bottom