• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Prototype for the Wii U Confirmed

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Rejoice, smashers!

PDP, the leading third-party manufacturer of video game accessories, has announced that with their new partnership with Nintendo that they will be creating Gamecube prototype controllers for the Wii U.

Users will be able to connect this wired controller to the Wii Remote External Extension Connector. It appears the going price for the controller is looking to retail for $24.99.

This is great news for competitive smash scene.
More news about the new Gamecube prototype controller for the Wii U will be provided as information is released. For now, you can pack up your Wiimotes and Nunchucks and save it for a rainy day.

Omni is an MD/VA smash player, entertainer, and content producer for Smashboards. Follow him for future Smashboards updates on his twitter: @InfernoOmni.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
WE LOVE YOU NINTENDO!!!!

...But why you no make it wireless?
(Lol. Totes first one to post)

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
This is fantastic. It changes the game for Smash WiiU, that's for sure.

Also, this could make for some funny sponsorships. PDP | PPMD?

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
I prefer WIimote and Nunchuk, BUT I really like GCN controllers too. This is great! Plus, they're cheaper than most Wii U peripherals, so I can play with my sisters and brother. :D

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I wish there would be some kind of adapter that plugs into the bottom of the gamepad that has 4 gc slots.

D

Deleted member

I prefer the Wii U's Pro Controller, but at least, people can stop complaining

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
How else would you connect it, unless they made it wireless
Could just make it USB, I suppose? The Wii U Pro controller has a USB cord. Though I'm not sure if the USB port only serves to keep it powered while it still uses wireless.

All this apparent need for wireless with Nintendo is just annoying though. I personally hate Wireless, and not specifically because of input lag.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
How else would you connect it, unless they made it wireless
Making it wireless would have been so much better for OBVIOUS reasons.
The only benefit to having it plug into a Wiimote is the presumption that it works with Wii's as well... but we already have GCN ports for the Wii.

Though clearly, the ideal situation is a wired controller but it's questionable if the Wii U can even do this, as the pro controllers have a USB chord that doesn't even do anything aside from charging the controller; even when plugged into the Wii U it is still wireless.
A wireless controller cannot be the standard for tournament play. It's just not going to work to have a tournament the size of Apex have a few hundred wireless controllers. There's a reason why tournaments like EVO and MLG ban wireless controllers.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Making it wireless would have been so much better for OBVIOUS reasons.
The only benefit to having it plug into a Wiimote is the presumption that it works with Wii's as well... but we already have GCN ports for the Wii.
you could also use it for the wii channel on the wii u.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I was about to buy a Pro controller just for playing the upcoming Smash Bros. I' ll check if I can try a Pro controller somewhere before deciding now.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
This is AWESOME news. I can't imagine playing Smash bros with anything else. I was gonna get an adapter on eBay, but I think ill just pick this up when its released.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You might be tired of people complaining, but some are right. How are people going to play at tournaments with wireless controllers?
Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice, since the USB cable that comes included with the Pro Controller only recharges the controller's battery.

It may be inconvenient, but the only solution to the problem is to have only one Wii U system be present for tourneys.

I think I might've just jinxed the E3 2014 event with that statement.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Please note that while these controllers are wired, they will still connect to the WiiU via a wiimote, rendering them wireless and negating the real advantage of the controller. Also, why would you buy 3rd party game cube styled controllers that plug into an adapter that connects to the wiimote rather than just using an actual game cube controller that will have to plug into an adapter that connects to the wiimote?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
So, they finally did listen, huh? It's too bad I've pretty much adapted to using the CCPro already, XD

Unfortunately, the Mayflash adapter I ordered ended up being defected, so hopefully I have better luck with this.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
With this and the recent announcements, it really does seem like Nintendo is catering to the Smash community.

HYPE

freesubs

Smash Rookie
NNID
FreeSubs
why no system update for the wii u to make it use USB controllers?

Hype about the news but confused

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I just hope Sakurai plans on implementing some kind of custom controls option that will support this controller.

Cause I don't see anywhere on the article that it says that Nintendo will support this controller in their later games.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
Guys Guys, you haven't seen this monstrosity yet...

Edit: Nvm they made that for the Wii.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Damn and I just bought a Pro controller yesterday....

Well money is no object i guess, will probably shell some out for this if i just can't use the Pro controller

Its still wireless-ish though, still will be a problem for tourneys i think, but at least ninty is trying

Last edited:

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Guys Guys, you haven't seen this monstrosity yet...
The layout in itself isn't a monstrosity, as it's just an arcade pad. However, it's usefulness in Smash comes to question. Smash isn't exactly the most complicated fighting game as far as inputs are concerned, so using anything arcade stick inspired is a bit overkill - lest you're migrating as a pad player from SF4/UMVC3 etc to Smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Disappointed it's not proper wireless without a need for a Wii Remote, since I think the rechargeable batteries on my Wii Remotes are banjaxed. They seem to have their battery life drained even when I don't use them at all, after charging them and having them ready to go.

Because of that, I'll probably pass. I don't see why they couldn't just take the Wii U Pro Controller's wireless function and input options, and just put them on a controller shaped like a GameCube Controller, and change the "Z" button to "ZR", and add a "ZL" button to the other side. That wouldn't take a lot of work.

And if that picture above is how it's supposed to be, then I'm DEFINITELY out.

The Pro Controller is fine anyway. I would have bought at least one GameCube style controller if it was done properly, but the way they are doing it is unnecessary.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Hmm..... prototype controller? seems like nintendo is starting to care about the competitive smash community.

:pow:

Top Bottom