• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameCube Controller or Pro Controller?

Rᴀᴍᴇɴ

Smash Rookie
Hey I was wondering which is better: GameCube controller or Pro Controller? Does any controller have benefits over the other? And is it okay to replace the GameCube stick with a Wii Nunchuck stick? I've been thinking about picking up a GameCube controller after using the Pro Controller for a while.

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
Also, is the PowerA GameCube controller any good? It does look intriguing to use.
They all work well. The only controllers I think would really hold someone back are the joycon.

GC controller stick has an octagonal frame, which is really good for smash, but has analog triggers, which isn't as good (shields used to respond to how much you depressed them in melee; not anymore). I, and I assume many others, use GC controllers because I've been playing this game on them since forever and just had a bunch of them lying around. If I were starting now, not used to any controller in particular, I'd use the pro controller. It's easier to find, you don't need an adapter, and it is much better for button remapping. I like having jump on a trigger/shoulder, which allows me to jump and do aerials with the c-stick without clawing, but L/R/Z all suck for that on the GameCube controller. The pro controller also has an extra shoulder button, which is nice.

Top Bottom