• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U gamecube controller adapters expensive as all hell!

midna.

Smash Cadet
so i still havent got a wii u and smashbros4 yet due to money issues but i am planning to soon but besides that i was also looking into buying a gamecube controller adapter for the wii u since i only like using the gamecube controller but as i searched i found out that you can only get it by preodering ssb4? so i looked it up on ebay and they were there but they were going of for lik $200 each? i find this a little ridiculous, is there any onther way i can use a gamecube controller on the wii u without paying that much?!

Neil.

Smash Rookie
The adapters were very limited...I too missed out on one. Nintendo clearly underestimated the demand. I'd recommend you wait a bit to see if Nintendo addresses this issue, do not buy an adapter online right now from those opportunists that are taking advantage of the demand.

If it turns out Nintendo really isn't making anymore, then you can expect some third party adapters to be made in the future :]

Raijinken

Smash Master
Precisely as Neil said. It's quite feasible to play with a Pro Controller or whatever (though I personally still use the Gamecube controller most of the time), and there's a pretty fair chance Nintendo will make more adapters.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Plus, there's always the Fightpad. Which from experience I'd say is a good substitute. Also, Nintendo (Of France?) have addressed the issue and are planning to restock the stores soon.

200$? My god.

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
The Fight pad Is a lot nicer feeling than using the Wii U gamepad/3DS, however it isn't as good as an original Gamecube controller, BUT it is a perfectly fine replacement to a Gamecube controller.

The triggers don't make a click sound, which isnt as satisfying feeling/a little off. I would definitely use a Gamecube controller over the fight pad in a tournament/extended gameplay, but as it is, I can easily use the fight pad and lose no loss to my Smash ability.
the C stick is the same as the control stick so it is different.
It depends on the Wii remote, so batteries are essential. BUT that does mean it is wireless, and functions as a pro controller. This means you can use it in Legacy games/Wii games. I also like to move my gamepad to my bed, away from my tv, and lay down and use that as the screen. Really nice on a sleepy day.
It also has a Yoshi theme, which was my reason for buying it anyway.

Id say its a pretty sufficient substitute for a Gamecube controller, until adapters come out. Even then, I will continue using the Fight pad for casual play.

Last edited:

Markus Arx

Smash Rookie
Hi, I know I'm really new here and everything, but I've saw this on a stream not too long ago and have heard nothing but great things about it. Sure it's not fully wired, but it's better than paying a ludicrous amount for a controller hub for controllers that were made 10-ish years ago.

EDIT: Unfortunately, since this is in my first 10 posts, I'll PM you the link to it, and anyone else who may want the link, PM me, please!

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
God... Juste Wait , Nintendo Already say it was just stock issues and they do their best for restock .

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Hi, I know I'm really new here and everything, but I've saw this on a stream not too long ago and have heard nothing but great things about it. Sure it's not fully wired, but it's better than paying a ludicrous amount for a controller hub for controllers that were made 10-ish years ago.

EDIT: Unfortunately, since this is in my first 10 posts, I'll PM you the link to it, and anyone else who may want the link, PM me, please!
Are you talking about the Hori Battle Pad? I got one of those and I actually like it better than my Gamecube controllers for the game.

The face buttons and grip feel identical to the original Gamecube controller. The shoulder buttons feel a bit different and the analog stick tops are slightly flatter. Not enough to really affect how you play at all.

Markus Arx

Smash Rookie
Are you talking about the Hori Battle Pad? I got one of those and I actually like it better than my Gamecube controllers for the game.

The face buttons and grip feel identical to the original Gamecube controller. The shoulder buttons feel a bit different and the analog stick tops are slightly flatter. Not enough to really affect how you play at all.
The Hori brand ones are actually very good! Hori themselves make arcade sticks for the regular FGC so I can attest to their quality. In these cases, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you do not get the PDP brand ones. A friend of mine literally got one Saturday and within the first two hours, the Right Trigger was permanently stuck.

To the question though, no I do not mean those in my original post. It is literally a single controller GC Adapter that you hook the controller into, then that into the Wiimote. It works just like the Pro Controllers/Hori Fightpads and is only $13.99. You can find it on Playasia, which is where my link is to.

On the subject of the Nintendo Controller Hubs, I'm pretty sure they purposefully "understocked" every store with them on purpose to create a crazy demand for them similar to how the Wii was released years ago and stores literally only got 1 or 2 at a time per every few shipments. As much as I love Nintendo, I do hate some of their business practices.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
The Hori brand ones are actually very good! Hori themselves make arcade sticks for the regular FGC so I can attest to their quality. In these cases, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you do not get the PDP brand ones. A friend of mine literally got one Saturday and within the first two hours, the Right Trigger was permanently stuck.

To the question though, no I do not mean those in my original post. It is literally a single controller GC Adapter that you hook the controller into, then that into the Wiimote. It works just like the Pro Controllers/Hori Fightpads and is only $13.99. You can find it on Playasia, which is where my link is to.

On the subject of the Nintendo Controller Hubs, I'm pretty sure they purposefully "understocked" every store with them on purpose to create a crazy demand for them similar to how the Wii was released years ago and stores literally only got 1 or 2 at a time per every few shipments. As much as I love Nintendo, I do hate some of their business practices.
I own 2 of the PDP brand controllers, been using them for hours a day, and they feel just as good as a Gamecube Controller, AND none of the buttons got stuck or broken or anything. Maybe your friend bought a defective one, or mashes the Right Trigger bizarrely, or pours juice/cola all over his controllers so he can complain about how they suck "bcuz GC da only way pls give Nintendo".

Hori AND PDP are equally good substitutes until more adapters are released, and if you're willing to be more adaptable and learn the Pro Controller/Gamepad layout, those also function just as well.

Last edited:

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
I agree with the PDP is excellent statement. I don't know why people would be breaking their's, they must be playing like little kids and mashing the buttons too **** hard. I kid I kid. But seriously, they work great! As do the Hori ones from what I understand. Just take care of your stuff people.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I got the Hori FightPad. Great controller. But within (less than) 24 hours of usage. The left trigger was stuck.

Other than that it's basically a GC controller without the GC.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
so i still havent got a wii u and smashbros4 yet due to money issues but i am planning to soon but besides that i was also looking into buying a gamecube controller adapter for the wii u since i only like using the gamecube controller but as i searched i found out that you can only get it by preodering ssb4? so i looked it up on ebay and they were there but they were going of for lik $200 each? i find this a little ridiculous, is there any onther way i can use a gamecube controller on the wii u without paying that much?!

There coming out again you just have to preorder them they should be 20$ again soon ... I need another one for 8 player smash just in case :)

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I got the Hori FightPad. Great controller. But within (less than) 24 hours of usage. The left trigger was stuck.

Other than that it's basically a GC controller without the GC.
Both me and Super Davi got Hori controllers and both of ours make a springy sound when L is used. I took my controller apart and it's just the plastic of the button hitting the plastic of the shell. there isn't a spring in there. I'd open it up and find out what it's stuck on. If it's just that the plastic is too tight, you can shave the opening in the shell a bit to fix it. I did notice some mould flash on the bottom of my controller's shell when I got it. I was able to scrape it off with my fingernail, but some in the shoulder button opening might be more difficult to reach.

Last edited:

midna.

Smash Cadet
The adapters were very limited...I too missed out on one. Nintendo clearly underestimated the demand. I'd recommend you wait a bit to see if Nintendo addresses this issue, do not buy an adapter online right now from those opportunists that are taking advantage of the demand.

If it turns out Nintendo really isn't making anymore, then you can expect some third party adapters to be made in the future :]
thanks heaps man, i guess they will probably turn up cheaper sometime later its just a matter of patience now :)

Neil.

Smash Rookie
thanks heaps man, i guess they will probably turn up cheaper sometime later its just a matter of patience now :)
NP :)

And Nintendo just confirmed today that distribution is in North America is still in process and basically promised that more should come to retailers shortly

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
i got one of those pdp ,and my right shoulder button stopped working .Opened it up an it was just some dirt .The one that is supposed to be the z button felt different to the gc one and i just put the button in a way it felt the same and now because i have the adapter i borrowed it to a friend so he can practice

Top Bottom