• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch is bad

D

Deleted member

Mr. Game & Watch has been my main for the past two game because I don't any of the others, and I really enjoyed how he played. He fills the role of a 'Glass Cannon', being a lightweight character that has a versatile moveset including some brilliant kill options. He was a fun character that I spent a lot of time playing. In Ultimate, the Smash team decided that the third lightest character in the game having kill options is too powerful and removed almost all of them, making Game & Watch a character with a bunch of useless tools. Thanks Sakurai.

Standard Moves:
Up-Tilt now hits on either side of Mr. Game & Watch, meaning it's now useful for hitting grounded opponents rather then aerial opponents. This wouldn't be that bad, but Mr. Game & Watch's only other anti-air tool has been made worse, and he now lacks in decent aerial moves. D-Tilt has also been changed, it's not as much of a disjoint, harder to hit with, but it now kills earlier. This change is welcome, as it makes D-Tilt more useful, and gives Mr. Game & Watch a kill move that he's now lacking thanks to other changes.

Smash Attacks:
Up Smash now has less invincibility frames, make it a worse anti-air tool. The burying mechanic that Down Smash now has is a nice change, as more characters need moves that bury opponents. I'd argue Mr. Game & Watch is slightly worse in this area due to having no anti-air options, but burying is neat.

Aerials:
Almost all of Mr. Game & Watch's aerial kill options have been completely removed. Up-Air and F-Air are now gone, with the former being replace with a useless projectile, and the latter being replaced with a slow projectile that is nowhere near as useful as the faster attack he use to have. Both of these are changes are just horrible, one move is useless and the other situational. Mr. Game & Watch's other aerials are a combo tool, and two situational kill moves.

Grab/Throws:
Not much here, Down Throw now has more knockback growth, meaning it kills earlier then Up-Throw, and is now a worse combo starter. Essentially you have less reason to grab opponent now as none of Mr. Game & Watch's throws can kill or set up for kills/combos.

Specials:
This is the one area where I actually feel Mr. Game & Watch was improved. Chef deals more damage and the ability to control where it goes makes it far more for applying pressure, and having a reflector is a very welcome change. Fire is a fast move, but beyond that it doesn't have anything else going for it.

In summary, Mr. Game & Watch lacks kill options, moves to deal with aerial foes, and combo tools.

-SUNNYD-

Smash Rookie
'GW lacks kill options' dragdown nair confirms into dtilt, ftilt and upsmash, all of these moves kill at decent percents. downsmash grounds and leads to forward smash's sweetspot which can kill at around 80-90ish at ledge. his dair also kills at around 110-120ish. also fair at around 130.

but sure, he 'lacks kill options'.

also none of these moves have alot of lag so you can spam them for free without getting punished.

Last edited:
Top Bottom