• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Theory Tackles the Super Smash Bros Series Hidden Lore

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Is there a text version? The voice is driving me insane. And it doesn't help the video starts with an unfunny joke that keeps going for like 30 seconds. I couldn't do it.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
I think sakauri parallel is a little lacking in evidence but isnt also imposible. I like it! Good work MatPat!

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Well it's pretty much too bad that most of them fans would later be like:

"Aight. When's the next smash Sakurai?"

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I found it incredibly interesting. I don't buy everything I watch of course but this doesn't seem too far fetched for me to believe. Either way it's a really cool theory.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I have my own theory, actually.

So regardless of if it's Sakurai himself or not, Smash Bros.' bosses represent a creator in some way. Master Hand is that creative side in corporeal form, giving life to the characters and then presenting himself as a "final boss" for them to defeat. Crazy Hand is that creator's more impulsive and devious side, using erratic movements and attacks with underhanded (no pun intended) effects because don't we all want to let loose and break stuff once in a while? Tabuu represents anyone who would abuse or take advantage of that creator, whether it's a producer or executive forcing their will on the creator's work or society telling them they're supposed to be someone else, supposed to be more normal.

But deep down, we all have parts of ourselves we become afraid of. We get hints of something below the surface, something primal, maybe a little monstrous, something we want to ensure stays a part of us and does not break free.

That's what I think Master Core is: that fear all of us creators at last sometimes have...of going insane.

Think of how Master Core's fight goes. Its body bursts from Master Hand's writhing form as he cannot control it any longer. It takes multiple forms--a strange and bloodthirsty creature, five living swords (one for each finger?) that butcher anything in their path, a gigantic humanoid who violates the laws of the Smash Bros. world by lifting the stage you stand on, a massive living dungeon, and a shadowy doppelganger of the player themselves. Each of the forms are vastly more powerful than anything we've seen before.

The first time you see them, they're also terrifying.

And yet...there's something tragic about Master Core. Whenever you damage it enough and shadow bugs bleed out of it, you can hear a scream of some kind. Master Giant looks like it's in visible pain during some of its attacks. And the Heart Container that appears at the start of Master Fortress has to come from somewhere. Could it be the Master, in a brief moment of lucidity, is giving you a fighting chance?

Almost as if it's saying "Help...me..."

Sakurai has said multiple times how stressful it gets trying to develop these massive games and satisfy such a huge audience. Could Master Core be his way of showing us how he feels on the inside when that stress is at its worst?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Kept me interested but there's no way that all the little info he showed in the vid leads directly to that resultant theory. Way too overdone.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't see why people get so offended and stuff over it being over-complicated. You don't have to believe the theory but at least I can appreciate the fact that he could create a stream of consciousness that concluded in this interesting video that entertained me for 15 minutes.

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
what if sakurai is all "he figured it out" lol plus i really enjoy game theory, i mean honestly how many times have you thought up the topics of his show, you dont actually put any thought into it until you've seen his show. i know i never thought about who rosalina acturally was or whether or not link is actually dead in majoras mask until i watched his show, he definitely brings some interesting things to the table and he does his research, but remember its just a theory...his game theory. no need to get fussy ppl lol makes me think you'd cry over spilled milk too, if you don't like it dont watch it or even get involved in the thread simple as that, dont take time out of your life to seem like an a-hole, its just a fun little internet show, its not like its canon

Lord_Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fogottenknight
3DS FC
2509-2089-2582
what if sakurai is all "he figured it out" lol plus i really enjoy game theory, i mean honestly how many times have you thought up the topics of his show, you dont actually put any thought into it until you've seen his show. i know i never thought about who rosalina acturally was or whether or not link is actually dead in majoras mask until i watched his show, he definitely brings some interesting things to the table and he does his research, but remember its just a theory...his game theory. no need to get fussy ppl lol makes me think you'd cry over spilled milk too, if you don't like it dont watch it or even get involved in the thread simple as that, dont take time out of your life to seem like an a-hole, its just a fun little internet show, its not like its canon
nah I thought link might've been dead during majoras mask since I played it, but probably only because it's my favorite game. Game theory is awesome though and all those weird theories like the one about links hookshot or is the bullet bill deadly were things I'd never even think to question.

T0RN

I'm Torn
This video is such an amazing thing. If it is true which is a stretch, then it just shows you how some people plan these things out. Great vid.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Close. However, Sakurai isn't tired of the constant sequelization problems.

My theory is that he's sick of the competitive community.

We took a game that was not intended to be competitive and made it competitive. We ignored the original ruleset. We ignored the creator's will.
And to top it off, we constantly get salty when the game fails to bend to our will instead of Sakurai's will.

As the video said, Brawl was that game when Sakurai sent an explicit message to everyone who would notice it. "I do what I want". Cue Brawl removing most things that Melee Players liked. Cue competitive players getting crazy and saying Brawl was a piece of *bleep*.
(I think Brawl is just different, that doesn't mean it's bad.)

Smash 4 had Sakurai trying to gather both crowds and even getting more people to help him balance the game. Notice how Master Hand convulses and bursts when Master Core takes control. Sakurai never wanted to make it a competitive game, Sakurai never wanted to share his leadership with a full team, however, to please both crowds, Sakurai compromised and he's disgusted with himself.

At least that's what I think after seeing the video.
This isn't a fact, it's just a theory. A game th *Shot*.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Close. However, Sakurai isn't tired of the constant sequelization problems.

My theory is that he's sick of the competitive community.

We took a game that was not intended to be competitive and made it competitive. We ignored the original ruleset. We ignored the creator's will.
And to top it off, we constantly get salty when the game fails to bend to our will instead of Sakurai's will.

As the video said, Brawl was that game when Sakurai sent an explicit message to everyone who would notice it. "I do what I want". Cue Brawl removing most things that Melee Players liked. Cue competitive players getting crazy and saying Brawl was a piece of *bleep*.
(I think Brawl is just different, that doesn't mean it's bad.)

Smash 4 had Sakurai trying to gather both crowds and even getting more people to help him balance the game. Notice how Master Hand convulses and bursts when Master Core takes control. Sakurai never wanted to make it a competitive game, Sakurai never wanted to share his leadership with a full team, however, to please both crowds, Sakurai compromised and he's disgusted with himself.

At least that's what I think after seeing the video.
This isn't a fact, it's just a theory. A game th *Shot*.
Actually if you ask me, (I'm not dispelling your theory, just adding to it)
It's also the expanding scale of quality and quantity for each successive game that puts more and more of a strain on Sakurai.

The original game on the N64 was a simple low budget novelty based on something Sakurai threw together in his spare time.
Only 12 characters, 9 stages,and just 4 modes to play, all done with basic N64 models, many of which substituted by sprites, not exactly a breeze but it was manageable.

Then came Melee. Smash 64 was enormous hit and Sakurai aimed to out do it in every single facet. And he Did!
26 characters, 29 stages, Plus Adventure Mode, plus Sandbag, plus 29 trophies, all with the detail and quality the Game Cube provides!

Then came Brawl. The sequel to the phenomenon that was Melee.
39 characters, 41 stages, Plus 27 Assist Trophies, Plus The Subspace Emissary which at the time counted as big enough to be a game in it's very own right! 544 trophies and 700 stickers, Stage Builder, Masterpieces, the Coin Launcher, all with the refined graphics the Wii provided!

And then...

Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.
Two games At The Same Time!

48 characters (plus alternate models of Vilager, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Alph and the 7 Koopalings makes 59, Plus the customizable Mii Fighters that could make it 62+ ) Each with 12 special moves, plus Mewtwo DLC making it 49/63+ characters, 39 Assist Trophies, 34 stages on the 3DS version, 47 on the Wii U, each with a Final Destination from, doubling them, plus 8 Player Smash on the Wii U (though mechanically that was possible since Melee, they just didn't have 8 controller ports), plus Smash Run on the 3DS, plus Smash Tour on the Wii U,685 trophies on the 3DS and 716 trophies on the Wii U
All in the stunning glory of Wii U's high definition rendering graphics, and fighting the 3DS's (only Relative) lack of power (which still out-does Melee) and Winning!

I didn't even count the items and Pokemon, all the enemies in Subspace and Smash Run nor all of the customizable equipment, even though they deserve to be counted too!
Super Smash Brothers is a series full to bursting with content, and somebody had to put it all in and make sure it all worked smoothly!

Of course Sakurai doesn't do all of the work himself. He just makes the decisions and tells his team what to do and has to evaluate every single thing they do. But on a game of the scale of any one of the Smash games this is a massive responsibility and a life-consuming job! And not only does he do it, and do posts on Smash Bros. Dojo and Pics of the Day on Miiverse, but he achieves it with such perfection!

It is not just balancing the game, it's Everything about the games that take their toll on Sakurai.

Think this is a Wall of Text? I had to cut it in half twice to get it this short!

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
this really does fascinate me! Especially that the always have scientific proof for all of their "THEORIES"! also i do get a toy story vibe from this:D

BrokenGlasses

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0516-7457-1258
Very interesting and a little bit dark theory, #Respect for Mr. Sakurai !
d.png

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Master Hand being a playing kid's hand isn't a theory - I think it's obvious.

Top Bottom