• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Theory Tackles the Super Smash Bros Series Hidden Lore

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

Popular YouTuber, MatPat, is well known for his YouTube series "Game Theory", where he looks into some of the hidden and subliminal themes and theories in popular video games. In his newest episode, he takes a look at the Super Smash Bros series and how it may have a darker and more serious backstory than people think. He theorizes that all 4 entries in the main Super Smash Bros series are connected and are "growing up" over time. To find out what all that means, check out his video right here.

It's always interesting to see how different people perceive different things in games like this. Minor things to some people turn out to be these really important and interesting things to others. While it is interesting to see how the Smash Bros series is changing, who knows if this "hidden backstory" was actually intentional.

So what do you think? Plausible theory or lots of over thinking?

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and thinks this theory is pretty neat. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
This made me feel okay with no more smash bros games. God bless ya Mashpotato Samurai!

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Homie could find a way to tell Sakurai's life story through Kellogg's cereal brands if he wanted to lol.

Still an interesting watch though.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Am I the only one who thinks most of this is purely coincidental?
It's only a theory.

.....a game theory.

(You can pay me now MatPat)

But seriously if you've never watched these videos before it's pretty similar. Just getting all the proper ducks in a row and digging up anything to support it. It's all for fun though.

But man it's kind of dark isn't it? It's almost like saying Smashers are killing him. He ought to find a successor before it's too late, a less insane, prideful and outspoken one at that.

Last edited:

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who thinks most of this is purely coincidental?
Maybe, but I think Sakurai is greatly under appreciated for all of the passion and fan service he puts into these games. Most consumers assume that the directors do just enough to get by, however Sakurai loves making games and probably pours a lot of himself into it.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
thank you smashboards for reminding me this video was lost in the ether of my watch later playlist, awesome theory and i couldnt agree more.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I like the theory that Master Hand represents Sakurai himself, but I still like the Smash Bros. autism theory a bit more.

But hey, It's just an opinion...

a PENGUIN OPINION!
Thanks for reading!

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I honestly believe Sakurai doesnt like making Smash Brothers, even before this video came out. Reading so many interviews with Sakurai in Nintendo power, online, and now the newsest issue of game informer...

Its always seemed like he has a disinterest in the games and always mentions how it really contadicts his true goals and what not.

Either way, I hope he finds something he truly loves, and works on^^

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The theory doesn't fully work - mainly, Brawl's storyline was not even written by Sakurai. He obviously laid the foundation, but the overall story was written by Kazushige Nojima - famous for his work on the stories of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy.

And the Smash 4 part was pretty much reaching altogether, with no real basis to anything ("OOOOH THE MASTER HAND WRITHES IN PAIN, JUST LIKE HOW SAKURAI FEELS PAIN WHEN MAKING THE GAMES" - or, you know, it's in pain because of the swarm bursting out of it).

I'm not a fan of Game Theory in general, but this one is pretty inoffensive honestly. At the least, I can commend it for at least spreading awareness of the struggles Sakurai faces - which are 100% real. I just don't think Sakurai intentionally has been manifesting it heavily into the game all of this time.

Especially since Master Hand is kind of in a Kirby game too, so like, the Theory kinda misses something that really should have been at least explored a little.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Can't wait to hear Sakurai busting the theory out by just saying " I only wanted to make a game, not philosophy".
But that's none of his business.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
So...this pretty much reflects the themes in

Smash Bros. x Toy Story confirmed guys. Now we can do the Zurg vs. Palutena battle we always wanted.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well this is a horrible theory in my opinion though not as much as the Rosalina Game Theory one, which was not only inaccurate but also completely bull**** it's not even funny.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I honestly believe Sakurai doesnt like making Smash Brothers, even before this video came out. Reading so many interviews with Sakurai in Nintendo power, online, and now the newsest issue of game informer...

Its always seemed like he has a disinterest in the games and always mentions how it really contadicts his true goals and what not.

Either way, I hope he finds something he truly loves, and works on^^
As long as Sakurai gives me the DLC I want. (I think its pretty obvious who I want) Then I will be a little more hospitable to his new project.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
It's so stupid whenever people refer to Smash as "Sakurai's baby." As if he created Mario or Smashboards or even the platform fighter genre. Much of what makes Smash great comes from elsewhere, and Sakurai hasn't added a good, original idea to the series since Melee. It's like saying TLotR is Peter Jackson's brainchild.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
-watches thoery-

Wait! If we killed Daddy Sakurai multiple times already, how can he actually make more games? :troll:
Well obviously someone else made them, and technically he only kind of died in brawl, so if someone else is making them, why the **** are we still treating this guy like he's the game director and DLC decider, lets go pester the real director who's using Sakurai as a cover.:troll:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
What if Sakurai has autism. I could honestly see that with the way he approaches things.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
This theory was probably one of the best ones I've listened to. Then its probably the Majora's mask one. Even with speculation he uses a lot of stuff support his claim. I like it, found it interesting, and could agree with it. Especially considering Sakurai himself has mentioned how much a physical toll making these games takes on him. He almost never takes a day off or holiday, works his birthday, all just to deliver a great experience and pack as much stuff as he can in. Hes getting older and getting worn out while smash fans continue to demand more and newer smash from him, and Nintendo is obviously saying "Make them or someone else will." So what do you do? Fork over your creation, one that you made back in the day that was supposed to "King Dragon Fighter" or whatever, and then turned it into smash. Or power through the suckage of the fan base and corporate push and keep control of your creation.

My hearts always gone out to Sakurai because of how much of himself he pours into these games. Its honestly most likely killing him.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Well,at least he didn't use physics on video game logic this time,bonus points for that.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Here's another thing he didn't mention about Master Core. If you don't knock off the Core in time, it will self destruct, but not before sending off five red waves that instantly KO's the player. In connection with his theory, it would seem that Sakurai would try to take down his creations with him and not allow the series to continue anymore. However, if the player has an extra life or dodges all of the waves, the Core will self destruct anyways, meaning that Sakurai himself would give it all up himself, acknowledging that it's over and that the series will continue without him.

I guess that's the best way I could put it.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Here's another thing he didn't mention about Master Core. If you don't knock off the Core in time, it will self destruct, but not before sending off five red waves that instantly KO's the player. In connection with his theory, it would seem that Sakurai would try to take down his creations with him and not allow the series to continue anymore. However, if the player has an extra life or dodges all of the waves, the Core will self destruct anyways, meaning that Sakurai himself would give it all up himself, acknowledging that it's over and that the series will continue without him.

I guess that's the best way I could put it.
I had thought about that while watching, but spaced it during the writing of my post. Very true!!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I personally wish he'll do what Brawl In The Family did one day.

End the series in a good note.

Heck, try to get Nintendo agree on it - as much as they might see it as part of losing a potential cash cow blockbuster franchise.

I personally think the reason is that Nintendo can't produce anything as good as Smash Bros aside from (arguably) Mario Kart. So I kinda wish they'd try exploring different scapes now and then, to try out new things. That's where most these masterpieces are born from today.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

Heck, try to get Nintendo agree on it - as much as they might see it as part of losing a potential cash cow blockbuster franchise.

I personally think the reason is that Nintendo can't produce anything as good as Smash Bros aside from (arguably) Mario Kart. So I kinda wish they'd try exploring different scapes now and then, to try out new things. That's where most these masterpieces are born from today.
A legit F-Zero/Fire Emblem fighting game.

Look at their designs, it could work...

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice

I politely and loudly want to remind you of
ZELDA

I love zelda games

Top Bottom