• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Queue

Do you prefer a game queue or free market system?

• Queue

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Free Market

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
We used to have a game queue, but we removed it because it stalled and we were running low on players. Now with an influx of players, it may be beneficial to have one again. What say the masses: would you prefer a sign-up queue or would you like to keep our free market system where anyone can post a sign-ups thread whenever?

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
free market, imo - an issue with a lot of sites that do queuing is that they hit a stall when the games in signups are bad, not because of lack of playerbase

i'm jaded and cynical but with an influx of new players I worry about hitting that moment because all our setups are ****ty, and I think having the level of filtering required to stop our setups from being ****ty is a step too far

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
One way around that would be for a time limit that a game can be in sign-ups for. If it doesn't fill by the limit, the next game goes up and the host can choose to reenter if they like.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I think we're all polite people and can probably keep doing the free market format for sign ups. Maybe people can say in the social thread if they plan on posting a signup in a few days in advanced to avoid two people wanting to post signups too close together? With our current size I think a queue could cause more problems than it would solve.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I think we could do with a thread to keep track of who is wanting to host and who is ready to host, without it necessarily being a queue

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
for example I am still ready to host completely vanilla mafia (closed setup for 9-12) that didn't fill back in december. I'm not in a burning hurry to run it but it might be nice at some point.

what I dislike is the free market kinda rewarding whoever is the fastest to put their thread up.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
the problem with the queue is exactly as doops says. but the problem with the free market is that it kinda invites conflict between hosts and it can be confusing for players signing up, they might be priced into signing up to multiple games just because they don't know which one is going to start first.

free market with weekly ranked-choice voting for signups? now you're just going overboard, Kary

damn now I'm blabbermouthing on the forums, I blame the discord

Last edited:

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
One way around that would be for a time limit that a game can be in sign-ups for. If it doesn't fill by the limit, the next game goes up and the host can choose to reenter if they like.
That puts artificial pressure for smaller games, or for hosts to shrink games just before deadline to run. Larger, harder to fill games can currently take the time they need.

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
for example I am still ready to host completely vanilla mafia (closed setup for 9-12) that didn't fill back in december. I'm not in a burning hurry to run it but it might be nice at some point.

what I dislike is the free market kinda rewarding whoever is the fastest to put their thread up.
It only does this because we have a weird cultural thing where it's "nice" to let other games go even though I think that's actually detrimental overall.
I actually think an official step towards letting whoever post signups helps get rid of that.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm in favor of a queue. I think having a queue gave us expectations of good things to come, which also bred hype, and activity, and a culture. I think the lack of this may have helped to kill Dgames, even though it was in good intention. I think we should start it up again now that we are building our community back up.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman

I would like a vanilla game to get me back into action, but then I just signed up for something, didn't I.
I like this idea if we don't have a queue.
Me too. I don't really see the benefit of an actual queue, but then I've never been on a site with an overabundance of games...

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Me too. I don't really see the benefit of an actual queue, but then I've never been on a site with an overabundance of games...
somi you need to look beyond the actual to the possible.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Queue used to be like 20-30 deep. If it gets to that point, you definitely need one cause everyone wants to try to make a game at some point. I’ve hosted only a handful of times, but had numerous set ups finished. But then again, everybody was inviting everybody to play mafia. So queue moved decently fast.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
the problem with the queue is exactly as doops says. but the problem with the free market is that it kinda invites conflict between hosts and it can be confusing for players signing up, they might be priced into signing up to multiple games just because they don't know which one is going to start first.

free market with weekly ranked-choice voting for signups? now you're just going overboard, Kary

damn now I'm blabbermouthing on the forums, I blame the discord
Is multi-tabling a bad thing?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
An underrated aspect of our queue was that you had to get your setup approved by one of our mods before your game could be added to it. This meant that you could assume that the games in the queue were held to a solid standard and you didn’t have the problem of bad setups clogging up the queue like on other sites.

Even if you don’t bring back the queue I think having some sort of enforced peer review system would go a long way because you know the game you’re singing up for won’t be too janky

Last edited:

Chaco

Never Logs In
What’s the culture around here support nowadays? Like usually one game running at a time? Standard games like open set ups or closed PR laden themed games? Size of games?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Generally one game at a time. 13 players or fewer. Most recently have been non-theme/theme-light and standard. I don't think there's been an issue with messy setups.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I believe free market maintains its position as the community choice. I'll update this thread or the directory thread to make a sort of "interested in hosting" list.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
To address #HBC | Dark Horse #HBC | Dark Horse 's point, why not just mandate a reviewer from a preset list? Or even say "For your first X games, you have to have at least one reviewer, who has to be from this preset list. After that point, you may be added to that list if you co-review a game successfully."

Last edited:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
To address #HBC | Dark Horse #HBC | Dark Horse 's point, why not just mandate a reviewer from a preset list?
Something like this was what I had in mind lol.

Just because there haven’t been issues with bad setups yet doesn’t mean there won’t be any in the future. Especially because without reviews for closed setups it’s too easy for people to not realize the setup is broken until they’re actually in the game

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Is multi-tabling a bad thing?
언제 제가 그 말 했어요? 한 주 후에 저를 물어보는데 질문이 관련 별로 없는 것 같아요

If someone signs up for multiple games with the intention of not playing some of them it begins to mess with signups.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Who is running a game after UPs is finished? Or ha anyone stepped forward to do so?

not asking for me. I haven’t made a set up in years, but if I start playing regularly again, I might venture out.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
The poll closed on the 30th. Would you folks like me to reopen it? Don't be shy Embarrass

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Nah it's good, but there is something else I could use your help with
Greetings, Xivii

Whatever could it be? I would be happy to make your acquaintance!

Best,

Pokechu

Chaco

Never Logs In
Has anyone thought of starting newbie games back up? 5 new players and two vets in a small open so that they’re introduced in a new environment where they can learn without being fed to the wolves.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Top Bottom