• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
whats the best beginners guide to show somebody new to smash bros but plays other fighters competitively?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There are several videos on youtube that introduce people who play fighters to the quirks of Smash. There isn't a staple guide as far as I know and most of these vids are about Melee, but you can start from there.

If he's a real FG aficionado you can simply tell him that it's a fighting game where :
-you can turn your back to your opponent
-you can change your speed and direction in the air

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
whats the best beginners guide to show somebody new to smash bros but plays other fighters competitively?
I don't have a guide, but I do have some tips.

-Learn to control your character. This might sound dumb, but you MUST know all the different ways of getting around the stage, how to recover, which moves to use and when, etc. All in all, just learn to move around. Look up some movement tech videos once you have the general physics down.
-Learn the metagame. This game is much more read heavy than combo heavy, as most combos are not true and you need to read where your opponent will DI and when they might try to airdodge.
-Find a friend that plays this game. It's best played if someone can coach you right off the bat, it'll make playing the game later easier because you won't have as many bad habits.

Sorry for the lack of points, I'll add more later. I'm in a rush right now.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Recently, I began to study more on movement, and how to pressure my opponents with it. Movement, as most of you people already know, adds incredible depth into playstyles. To say it very simply, movement makes people more unpredictable.

I personally like to use the extended dash dance from time to time. I am able to bait some attacks with it so that I can punish them with my moves such as dash attack or grab. I am improving on my use with perfect pivot, and the microspacing behind it is rather useful. I'm still not that great with it, but I hope to be able to utilize it more with my spaced attacks. I sometimes use the U-turn tech to catch my opponents offguard with a sliding jab, as well.

However, I would like to hear from the rest of you guys. What are some movement options you guys take to take advantage of your opponents? I'm curious as to what others do to get into their opponents' heads.

WindMage

Smash Rookie
Okay first off I'm a sonic main. So I thought I'd keep tap jump on because I've used it ever since I started playing smash. I didn't even know X/Y did anything (I use x and y for some things which isn't that hard to switch between the 2). Now I'm conflicted because Idk if it'll make my uair combos hard (haven't noticed really :/) and I have c stick on attack. It's basically like the c stick is the tap jump off for stuff like uairs. I've played with tap jump on for a long time but it would take me a long time to make the switch (because I'd be defying muscle memory). I'm aware when I use up b off stage I'll use my second jump but as long as I get to the ledge I'll get the jump back... idk I would like some experienced thoughts on this.

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
I'm going to my first tournament this Saturday, any advice?
I just really don't want to go 0-2, I'd hate that.
Sometimes you have to get 2-0'd. Don't go in with the mind set of trying to win at this level. Rather, go in to learn and become better.

You gotta remember you're in disadvantage for a reason. Be calm. Think about what option you're taking and reset to neutral first to get a good footing.
Whatever you do, WHATEVER YOU DO, NEVER STOP THINKING.

When you go autopilot, you lost the game. When you or your opponent is killed, sit back for a second and think. What are they most likely going to do if I do X? Try and make a game plan during these quiet moments. There's nothing wrong with sitting on the respawn platform for a few seconds, just thinking.
Thanks guys this helps a lot!

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Okay first off I'm a sonic main. So I thought I'd keep tap jump on because I've used it ever since I started playing smash. I didn't even know X/Y did anything (I use x and y for some things which isn't that hard to switch between the 2). Now I'm conflicted because Idk if it'll make my uair combos hard (haven't noticed really :/) and I have c stick on attack. It's basically like the c stick is the tap jump off for stuff like uairs. I've played with tap jump on for a long time but it would take me a long time to make the switch (because I'd be defying muscle memory). I'm aware when I use up b off stage I'll use my second jump but as long as I get to the ledge I'll get the jump back... idk I would like some experienced thoughts on this.
I'm a Sonic main too and I have tap to jump off because it helps me do up tilts better. I also have C-Stick set to attack and my up air combos are fine! What I say is this, keep tap jump on and practice getting better with it and use X in certain situations. I mainly use X to jump, but I also have L help me do aerials better. You get good with what you get good with man!

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
What is the difference between normal get-up and get-up attack other than one being attacking while the other doing nothing much else?

Also, which option is better? Just from the looks of it, a get-up attack option is better just because it attacks while the normal get up doesn't. Are there invincibility frame differences between the two?

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
What is the difference between normal get-up and get-up attack other than one being attacking while the other doing nothing much else?

Also, which option is better? Just from the looks of it, a get-up attack option is better just because it attacks while the normal get up doesn't. Are there invincibility frame differences between the two?
Yes, normal get up is faster and has more invincibility, as well as being harder to punish. Get up attack... isn't that great of an option usually. It has WAY less iframes, it's easily punishable, and it doesn't kill or do that much damage for most characters. I would stick to normal get up and jab if you want an attack right away.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Yes, normal get up is faster and has more invincibility, as well as being harder to punish. Get up attack... isn't that great of an option usually. It has WAY less iframes, it's easily punishable, and it doesn't kill or do that much damage for most characters. I would stick to normal get up and jab if you want an attack right away.
Alright. Thanks for the quick reply!

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
Hello! I've been told by so many people now that I have a "robotic" play style. I've been told to do lots of mix-ups and more reads, but I have no clue as to how I can go about this, especially in neutral. Does anyone have any advice or know of a guide to reads/mixups? Thanks so much!

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
This is exactly the problem I have and now I'm slowly progressing to a more "fluid" style.
First: for now don't play against the CPU ever, they are the worst thing for this kind of training. They predict your inputs, so there are no real mixups against them and they also don't know how to punish.
Second: try to stick your eyes on your opponent and only respond with a punish accordingly. Don't throw out any move in neutral unless you are 100% sure that will hit and think every move you make, maybe even saying it whispering or out loud if your opponent isn't bothered. If you didn't think about that move but you threw it still (because of muscle memory or simila), very bad, drop the string and let you get punished.
At first you will play bad, really bad, and slow. But as soon you will implement this mechanism in your brain you will find the right middle that suites you. You will make good decisions in neutral without giving up simple strings or combos, but they can be practiced on every kind of opponent, so don't focus on them when you still have to improve your mental game.

I hope this will help you as it is helping me :)

CynthiaXY1800

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyanM246
3DS FC
1994-1678-0964
Hey, everyone! I'm a diehard Super Smash Bros fan and player! I've come here to tell you the worst experience I've ever witnessed in my entire Super Smash Bros career but at the same time, I'm asking for help.

I was playing 1on1 For Glory with some kid named Tornatic from Canada. He whooped my scrawny ass with Ike and said LOLL or some **** like that after our last battle. I was so infuriated and humiliated by this anonymous that I wanted to punch my GamePad. This wasn't the first time I felt that way during my career.

During my recent struggles, there was this other guy named Will that said LOL and described me as "Weak" every time he had killed me with Link. (What does it mean? Does it mean that his character is completely better than mine or do I just plain suck?) With that being said, I struggled against those disrespectful and ungrateful opponents who have taken my career away from me!

Now the point is that I need help finding a way to avoid For Glory/For Fun and play against players that can help me improve my skills, treat me with respect, and help me become consistent in Sm4sh once again.

My main(s) are Lucario, Yoshi, Zelda, and Cloud! However, I can't decide who I'm the most comfortable with, at all! I don't know where to start anymore. I should have never played For Glory! :(

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
Hey, everyone! I'm a diehard Super Smash Bros fan and player! I've come here to tell you the worst experience I've ever witnessed in my entire Super Smash Bros career but at the same time, I'm asking for help.

I was playing 1on1 For Glory with some kid named Tornatic from Canada. He whooped my scrawny *** with Ike and said LOLL or some **** like that after our last battle. I was so infuriated and humiliated by this anonymous that I wanted to punch my GamePad. This wasn't the first time I felt that way during my career.

During my recent struggles, there was this other guy named Will that said LOL and described me as "Weak" every time he had killed me with Link. (What does it mean? Does it mean that his character is completely better than mine or do I just plain suck?) With that being said, I struggled against those disrespectful and ungrateful opponents who have taken my career away from me!

Now the point is that I need help finding a way to avoid For Glory/For Fun and play against players that can help me improve my skills, treat me with respect, and help me become consistent in Sm4sh once again.

My main(s) are Lucario, Yoshi, Zelda, and Cloud! However, I can't decide who I'm the most comfortable with, at all! I don't know where to start anymore. I should have never played For Glory! :(
go to tournaments.

Megamang

Smash Lord

I was playing 1on1 For Glory with some kid named Tornatic from Canada. He whooped my scrawny *** with Ike and said LOLL or some **** like that after our last battle. I was so infuriated and humiliated by this anonymous that I wanted to punch my GamePad. This wasn't the first time I felt that way during my career.

Smashladder.com if you are only able to play online. Please, please buy an ethernet adapter for your wii before you play with people, and try to find local games.

However, local play is really the best way to learn and compete, so if you are able you should find a local smash scene and enjoy it.

For glory is an insight into people in general. People will be rude or mean, you can't let it get to you. However, most people are generally nice (maybe not on FG though) so don't be afraid to attend a tournament and meet smashers near you! Most people will be nice.

CynthiaXY1800

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyanM246
3DS FC
1994-1678-0964
Smashladder.com if you are only able to play online. Please, please buy an ethernet adapter for your wii before you play with people, and try to find local games.

However, local play is really the best way to learn and compete, so if you are able you should find a local smash scene and enjoy it.

For glory is an insight into people in general. People will be rude or mean, you can't let it get to you. However, most people are generally nice (maybe not on FG though) so don't be afraid to attend a tournament and meet smashers near you! Most people will be nice.
Thanks! Actually, it turns out that I was only having a couple of bad days on FG. I started playing FG again but this time, I'm only playing it just to enjoy the game instead of being a competitive player. However, I would ALWAYS TRY to do my best and have fun at the same time. For now on, I should no longer care about winning OR losing!

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I attended my first offline tournament last Friday... I went to Arcade Odyssey and... well played SSB4WiiU. It was a lot of fun meeting people and seeing some amazing players from Florida like Dath and his Robin. Though I wish I could have performed better myself...

I pretty much solo'd Yoshi and as a 3DS only player, I had some difficulty readjusting from 3DS to Wii U. I still did okay considering my competition. I fought a really good ZSS/Sheik Main and a player who mains Cloud. And I got wiped out in Losers Round 3. I'd have used my 3DS as a controller, but there were issues with responsiveness. Good thing I brung a GameCube controller fearing that. At the end of the day, I definitely will return some point later in life. That was a really fun time.

And now I think I can use some advice also. Like... how do I deal with ZSS or Sheik? Or most importantly, Cloud? I'm willing to pick up new characters if it means I can get counterpicks to my opponents. I'm actually really adaptable. But I know that my mains have some shared bad matchups. I also refuse to play dittos since I don't like them. Though I may have to learn those... x_x

Anyone can help? I mean ANY bit will be invaluable so don't hesitate to share it. Even if it seems tacit (like common sense, not everyone knows what that word means.) :/

By the way, I watch ZeRo a lot so most of what he talked about, I know pretty well. I never air dodge in the middle of combos, I just double jump to avoid being combo bait by weaker moves.

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
And now I think I can use some advice also. Like... how do I deal with ZSS or Sheik? Or most importantly, Cloud? I'm willing to pick up new characters if it means I can get counterpicks to my opponents. I'm actually really adaptable. But I know that my mains have some shared bad matchups. I also refuse to play dittos since I don't like them. Though I may have to learn those... x_x
To be quite frank, you probably just need some more matchup experience. Just keep battling those characters, over and over, until you start to learn what their moves do, cognitively recognize which of your moves don't and begin to try other things. This isn't necessarily consciously, mind you; you might suddenly find yourself not landing with a move you used to land with all the time anymore because you subconsciously recognized that doing this action led to a punish.

TL;DR: play the match-ups more. Match-up learning has a curve–you learn what your opponent's character can and can't do first, then you learn what your character can and can't do against them.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
To be quite frank, you probably just need some more matchup experience. Just keep battling those characters, over and over, until you start to learn what their moves do, cognitively recognize which of your moves don't and begin to try other things. This isn't necessarily consciously, mind you; you might suddenly find yourself not landing with a move you used to land with all the time anymore because you subconsciously recognized that doing this action led to a punish.

TL;DR: play the match-ups more. Match-up learning has a curve–you learn what your opponent's character can and can't do first, then you learn what your character can and can't do against them.
I play against a Sheik main pretty frequently... though I think I just got better at fighting the player rather than the character. I've managed to take plenty of games off Sheiks and even a Cloud with Rosaluma despite the disadvantage. I can understand needing matchup knowledge and experience, but as someone who only owns Smash 3DS, it'd be problematic just not being able to always play the same version of the game. :/ I think most importantly, I need to get a Wii U first...

Brendannn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brendannn23
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble with the Pikachu matchup overall, really all across every character. Right now I'm kinda at a character crisis, playing mostly Mario and Ness, with some Cloud and Falco. For whatever reason, to me it just feels like no matter what the state of the game is, I'm always at a disadvantage. Pikachu just seems to have all safe moves in neutral, forcing me into shield a lot. Tbh it might also be wi-fi, during school I don't have time to go to a local 45 minutes away. The biggest weakness I've been able to exploit is predicting his Up-B, even hitting it with a Ness Neutral B once. If anyone has any advice on how to deal with Pikachu, would be great.

Megamang

Smash Lord
You're gonna want to check out the Mario and Pikachu boards, specifically the MU thread, to get some idea. Also watch high level footage. FWIW, Pika has lots of trouble with Mario once you know the MU.

JosephThatOneGamer

Smash Rookie
Hi id like to know how i can improve on my overal structure of playing smash but i dont know much about the smash scene in my area. Im learning to use the gamecube controller as i like how it feels in my hands. I know ill get destroyed but ill use it as s learning experience

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Hey so I'm having trouble recognizing my mistakes and flaws. Between games and even when I watch replays. Usually people point it out to me and I'm not saying that's bad but I want to be able to see what I'm doing wrong myself. People have told me to ask "Why did I get hit or get killed?" and "What can I do to avoid getting hit there?" But it's tough and I feel like it's doing more harm then good. Has anyone been through this? How did you deal with this?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Hi id like to know how i can improve on my overal structure of playing smash but i dont know much about the smash scene in my area. Im learning to use the gamecube controller as i like how it feels in my hands. I know ill get destroyed but ill use it as s learning experience
I've played Smash since the beginning and I can say the GameCube controller is by far the best. Obviously that's my opinion, but I'm sure you'll find that it is a common opinion.

My one suggestion, is to move the shield button to a digital one, rather than the standard analog L button it is on by default. Since you are just now learning this controller, do plenty of research for how you want your controls to be. It's difficult to change once your muscle memory has been used to a certain control scheme.

If you're somewhat new to the smash scene, I suggest learning the basics of smash. Read up on topics like spacing, the neutral game, baits and punish, reading your opponent. These kinds of topics will help you regardless of your choice in character.

Once you've got those down, learn more about your character. Then learn about the characters you are facing. Hopefully that helps.
Hey so I'm having trouble recognizing my mistakes and flaws. Between games and even when I watch replays. Usually people point it out to me and I'm not saying that's bad but I want to be able to see what I'm doing wrong myself. People have told me to ask "Why did I get hit or get killed?" and "What can I do to avoid getting hit there?" But it's tough and I feel like it's doing more harm then good. Has anyone been through this? How did you deal with this?
This is a tough position to be in. In your mind, even when watching replays, you believe the actions you took were the right ones, but you still got hit, or lost your stock.

This is known as reaching a plateau in your development. I wouldn't worry too much about watching your own replays at this point, but I would suggest finding the best players that use your main and watch videos of them. Try to imitate what they do. Watch a lot of videos. See what they do that works and try doing the same thing.

When you play a match, don't play to win, but play to incorporate something specific you saw a great player do. For example, let's say you play Mario. You've never B-Reversed a fireball. When playing your next match, try to incorporate B-Reverse fireballs. Even if it means you lose the game.

What will happen, is that you will see the benefits and the consequences of using it, and you'll learn when to use it and when not too.

Last thing, try playing a different character. You'll learn things about smash that you didn't realize existed, and then you can incorporate that into your main. I have taken a couple of months off from my main, Rosalina, and I've picked up Falcon and Mario. I now love playing both of those and I've learned a lot of new stuff. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
I've played Smash since the beginning and I can say the GameCube controller is by far the best. Obviously that's my opinion, but I'm sure you'll find that it is a common opinion.

My one suggestion, is to move the shield button to a digital one, rather than the standard analog L button it is on by default. Since you are just now learning this controller, do plenty of research for how you want your controls to be. It's difficult to change once your muscle memory has been used to a certain control scheme.

If you're somewhat new to the smash scene, I suggest learning the basics of smash. Read up on topics like spacing, the neutral game, baits and punish, reading your opponent. These kinds of topics will help you regardless of your choice in character.

Once you've got those down, learn more about your character. Then learn about the characters you are facing. Hopefully that helps.

This is a tough position to be in. In your mind, even when watching replays, you believe the actions you took were the right ones, but you still got hit, or lost your stock.

This is known as reaching a plateau in your development. I wouldn't worry too much about watching your own replays at this point, but I would suggest finding the best players that use your main and watch videos of them. Try to imitate what they do. Watch a lot of videos. See what they do that works and try doing the same thing.

When you play a match, don't play to win, but play to incorporate something specific you saw a great player do. For example, let's say you play Mario. You've never B-Reversed a fireball. When playing your next match, try to incorporate B-Reverse fireballs. Even if it means you lose the game.

What will happen, is that you will see the benefits and the consequences of using it, and you'll learn when to use it and when not too.

Last thing, try playing a different character. You'll learn things about smash that you didn't realize existed, and then you can incorporate that into your main. I have taken a couple of months off from my main, Rosalina, and I've picked up Falcon and Mario. I now love playing both of those and I've learned a lot of new stuff. Hope this helps.
Thanks a ton man! This makes a ton of sense and is super helpful! Thanks again! :)

Electrix

Smash Cadet
I'm so freaking bad at this game and I don't know why. My wifi has been pretty bad so I play against CPUs a lot, and I can beat them easily. However, the moment I go online, I lose easily, even to bad For Glory players.

I don't know what's the problem. Is it mindset? Failing simple executions? Lag? Campy players? My controller? I know what to do to beat most moves, but every time I go online my mind goes blank, and I can never see why my opponent's descisions counter everything I seem to do.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I'm so freaking bad at this game and I don't know why. My wifi has been pretty bad so I play against CPUs a lot, and I can beat them easily. However, the moment I go online, I lose easily, even to bad For Glory players.

I don't know what's the problem. Is it mindset? Failing simple executions? Lag? Campy players? My controller? I know what to do to beat most moves, but every time I go online my mind goes blank, and I can never see why my opponent's descisions counter everything I seem to do.
My best piece of advice to you would be to search out players in your area. Fighting CPUs is never ideal for practice unless you want to practice combos. But even then, they never DI. However, For Glory is arguably worse. Not only can you be paired up with anyone from a 7 year old Little Mac main on Christmas Day to Larry Lurr, but there's very little to experiment with because the only stage available is Final Destination and you likely will just be paired up with random players that can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Now if you don't have people in your area or a Smash scene, then I suggest watching high level matches from the likes of VGBootCamp or CLASH Tournaments. There is plenty of Smash videos there. Tutorial channels like My Smash Corner or Beefy Smash Doods help a ton as well. But your BEST option? Play offline. Next to no lag, and you can generally find nicer people, too.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588

If your Wi-fi is bad and you lag in online play, then it is best for you not to play online. This is because your reaction time is hampered and thus you cannot appropriately respond to your opponents’ actions.

The two differences between CPUs and irl players are:

1) CPUs do not adapt, and

2) Players do not react as fast as CPUs, however, they can make predictions.

So, no, your issue is not mindset or any of the things you mentioned. You simply need to become accustomed to playing people instead of CPUs. For example, you’re likely used to the frame-perfect air dodges Level 9 CPUs use. There are no mindgames here; it will air dodge perfectly 100% of the time, so you must frame trap the CPU. However, every opponent is a sentient being aiming for victory, just like you.

Knowing the properties of moves is the first step. I don’t know how exactly to explain the rest of it, but watch this video by SSBM Tutorials, it should help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXvKpe5MP0s

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
So I'm having a lot of trouble with noticing habits in my opponents play and making reads. Although I can sometimes catch get up options, I still find it very hard to make reads on stage or like in neutral or when I have the advantage. I've been told that this comes from playing a lot, which I do. But even when I play new opponents, I'm still very reaction-based rather than read-based. Is there anyway to sharpen this skill?

Spektatr

Smash Rookie
I want to cite the competitive intro post on smash boards. Thanks for so much good advice.
I'm just concerned. I started around the late-March timeframe in my local scene. I am still not seeing the results I want to get. I still make bad decisions during gameplay, and I struggle against a lot of players. I lose to everyone basically. Ranked, or unranked.

I do work, so I can only compete twice a week. Every day I have off, I attend my locals, and sometimes monthlies, which last night actually, was a combined total of 4 hours of driving to and from. That was an exception monthly. Most of my locals are only 45 minutes away (still a long drive though). This last month I've been only getting 2-4 hours of practice per night since I've been working 11.5 hour shifts, and wouldn't get home until 1 am.
I am putting in the work. I am watching high-level competitive play, and I am playing on anther's or always looking for friendlies on my community Facebook page. The night could get late so often times nobody will be on, so I'll still look to polish my skills against people, so I'll go on for glory and test out how many fights I can go without losing. My usual runs in tournament have been 0-2 most of the time, 2-2 on a really good day.
It's just sad and frustrating having to drive back such a long way for almost 2.5 months with no avail.

How long have you guys stayed persistent for in your local scenes? Do you ever give up or quit?
I'd love to have advice to know what keeps your spirits high, because going out like a buster can get old, and I'm very serious about pursuing smash for the long haul. I know I'm going to lose. A lot. But for two and a half months? How long has it taken you guys to actually get results in your scenes?

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I want to cite the competitive intro post on smash boards. Thanks for so much good advice.
I'm just concerned. I started around the late-March timeframe in my local scene. I am still not seeing the results I want to get. I still make bad decisions during gameplay, and I struggle against a lot of players. I lose to everyone basically. Ranked, or unranked.

I do work, so I can only compete twice a week. Every day I have off, I attend my locals, and sometimes monthlies, which last night actually, was a combined total of 4 hours of driving to and from. That was an exception monthly. Most of my locals are only 45 minutes away (still a long drive though). This last month I've been only getting 2-4 hours of practice per night since I've been working 11.5 hour shifts, and wouldn't get home until 1 am.
I am putting in the work. I am watching high-level competitive play, and I am playing on anther's or always looking for friendlies on my community Facebook page. The night could get late so often times nobody will be on, so I'll still look to polish my skills against people, so I'll go on for glory and test out how many fights I can go without losing. My usual runs in tournament have been 0-2 most of the time, 2-2 on a really good day.
It's just sad and frustrating having to drive back such a long way for almost 2.5 months with no avail.

How long have you guys stayed persistent for in your local scenes? Do you ever give up or quit?
I'd love to have advice to know what keeps your spirits high, because going out like a buster can get old, and I'm very serious about pursuing smash for the long haul. I know I'm going to lose. A lot. But for two and a half months? How long has it taken you guys to actually get results in your scenes?
More than that to go 2-2 consistently, just keep doing what you are doing and play better players than yourself. They can find things you do wrong and punish accordingly, it's your job to figure out why and how to avoid it. Doing that will take you a long way.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Find the reason why you play smash, and stick to it and play accordingly. If that reason no longer exists, then re-evaluate yourself and realise why you are playing. If you're playing with no clear reason, take a break or quit. Know a loss is just a step towards greatness and dont focus on losses being losses but being lessons that you can improve from.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

Have you been playing smash for 2.5 months, or just Sm4sh and you've played other smash games longer?

The reason I ask, is that most tournament goers have been playing some kind of smash game for years, like 5+. There are inherent skills that apply to all smash games, so in your 2.5 months, you've been playing against players that have possibly played since smash 64.

Don't focus on the immediate satisfaction, but dedicate yourself to learning skills that will translate into the next smash game.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
So I'm having a lot of trouble with noticing habits in my opponents play and making reads. Although I can sometimes catch get up options, I still find it very hard to make reads on stage or like in neutral or when I have the advantage. I've been told that this comes from playing a lot, which I do. But even when I play new opponents, I'm still very reaction-based rather than read-based. Is there anyway to sharpen this skill?
you want to think of everything in the third person
lets say you are fox and you are playing a cloud
you can bthrow cloud and empty sh in the direction of the cloud and see what the cloud does
chances are that the cloud will do the same if you bthrow him again
take advantage of it

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
you want to think of everything in the third person
lets say you are fox and you are playing a cloud
you can bthrow cloud and empty sh in the direction of the cloud and see what the cloud does
chances are that the cloud will do the same if you bthrow him again
take advantage of it
Gotcha! Thanks a ton!

Electrix

Smash Cadet
I don't understand how to punish rolls online. No matter how good or bad the player is, if they use roll a lot I can hardly do anything. This especially sucks against Little Mac, who has so many invincibility frames on his roll he can just roll again before I can punish him.

Offline, Mac is easy to beat. But it's ridiculous how broken rolls are online, and I can never get a successful read. I know I should be able to easily beat these people, but online rolls beat every option I have, even downsmash.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I don't understand how to punish rolls online. No matter how good or bad the player is, if they use roll a lot I can hardly do anything. This especially sucks against Little Mac, who has so many invincibility frames on his roll he can just roll again before I can punish him.

Offline, Mac is easy to beat. But it's ridiculous how broken rolls are online, and I can never get a successful read. I know I should be able to easily beat these people, but online rolls beat every option I have, even downsmash.
How to punish rolls online in 3 easy steps:

Step 1: Fix a plate of cookies.
Step 2: Don't play online.
Step 3: Eat cookies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
THAT IS TO SAY Netplay is more about prediction than it is about execution. If you know they are going to roll you're halfway there and you'll notice you will be able to punish those better when offline, but in the meanwhile, never take online results without a good spoonful of salt.
:196:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom