• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Well, if you want to reach the potential you feel is possible with Ryu, do that! It sounds like your aspirations are larger with him, as well as your potential. Cloud is relatively simple to pick up and have moderate success with, but I feel this will eventually hurt him in the meta when everyone knows the MU. He'll still be great, but good Ryus are more rare and in my opinion way more interesting.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
This is kind of an odd question, and I'm not sure if it's right for the competitive discussion forum, but it's something that's been kind of bothering me for a long time.

I feel like Mario's fireballs are much more difficult to avoid on wi-fi and I have no idea why, besides the general answer of "lag."

Lag affects all projectiles, and the FG Link in bad lag is the classic example of hard to avoid projectiles, but there's something in particular that's very odd about Mario's fireballs that I can't quite put my finger on. It's like, when trying to avoid them, or believing I can avoid them (such as running underneath), they somehow are able to hit. Even Sheik's needles (pre-patch) don't give me this impression.

This isn't so much a "how do I beat this?" because in an offline or even decent wi-fi setting it's not that tough. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly it is about Mario's fireballs online that make them feel almost like a different move.

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
So I have dilemma.

I am a :4sonic: main through and through! I'm never switching mains and I'm never dropping him. Now however I can never keep a solid secondary. It used to be :4falcon:. And even though I wouldn't do that well with him, I loved the character with a passion! He's the embodiment of hype! But he's been getting juggled through my main list for a while now. I've gone from :4falcon:, to :4ganondorf: (another character I'm never dropping because #GanonIsLoveGanonIsLife), and I even picked up :4mewtwo: for a while! But recently, I picked up 20XX representative :4fox:! I like him a lot! He has a very high learning curve, but I'm determined to learn him!

However I'm facing the issue of secondaries again and I honestly want to pick up Falcon! Though I know Fox is probably the better choice (frame data and potential wise) but Falcon is really calling to me! What do you guys think? Should I stick with Fox and learn the character that would do great in bracket? Or do I give Falcon another shot and try to get better with him?

Let me know what you guys think! My decision will be heavily influenced by your thoughts! Use tournament results and other technical aspects for your reasonings!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This is kind of an odd question, and I'm not sure if it's right for the competitive discussion forum, but it's something that's been kind of bothering me for a long time.

I feel like Mario's fireballs are much more difficult to avoid on wi-fi and I have no idea why, besides the general answer of "lag."

Lag affects all projectiles, and the FG Link in bad lag is the classic example of hard to avoid projectiles, but there's something in particular that's very odd about Mario's fireballs that I can't quite put my finger on. It's like, when trying to avoid them, or believing I can avoid them (such as running underneath), they somehow are able to hit. Even Sheik's needles (pre-patch) don't give me this impression.

This isn't so much a "how do I beat this?" because in an offline or even decent wi-fi setting it's not that tough. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly it is about Mario's fireballs online that make them feel almost like a different move.
It's difficult most of the time to control both horizontal and vertical movements on wifi separately, let alone together.
Projectiles which move both horizontally/vertically [such as Dedede's gordos: the reason he's never been buffed due to how much more difficult they are to deal with for every frame of delay] are amplifying the difficulties of avoiding them by a lot.

Megamang

Smash Lord
It also sounds like a personal block. I have been able to powershield fireballs consistently since like week one, but I still get hit by pills when I think I have the timing down. Every projectile is different, so we are bound to have different results trying to deal with each.

RudyTutti RudyTutti It seems like all your characters are the speedsters! Falcon and fox both pack a punch where sonic lacks it though. Falcon with better smashes, Fox with better kill confirms. I will say, with limited time you'll probably have a better Falcon than Fox. Fox needs dedication to optimize all his combo setups, movement techniques (mostly PP, his is actually essential, though foxtrot and stuff is also worth learning with his particular timings in mind). While im not saying he doesn't require practice, Falcon can 'just get by' on basics more. Especially since it takes some ingenuity to beat an opponent just holding shield in kill percentages against Fox, while CF can punish with his huge dashgrab and work from there more easily.

I'd say play who you really want to most as your secondary. Sonic can realistically beat everyone in the cast with enough player skill and MU knowledge, along with a good run, he is totally tournament viable.

If you want pure tournament efficacy, you need to look at what causes you problems for your main and then choose a secondary based on that. Sonic has trouble with ZSS (though she was recently nerfed, i'd imagine a worse nair range is actually a biggish deal against Sonic since disjoints are really what he struggles with), Ike, and Megaman, that I know of. Both CF and fox beat megaman, though CF is a much worse MU in both my experience and majority opinion on the megaman boards. What is important from all this, is your local scene and who you struggle with. Use this knowledge, as well as what you want to do and what is giving you trouble, to make an informed decision. And remember, nothing is wrong, play whoever you like!

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
It also sounds like a personal block. I have been able to powershield fireballs consistently since like week one, but I still get hit by pills when I think I have the timing down. Every projectile is different, so we are bound to have different results trying to deal with each.

RudyTutti RudyTutti It seems like all your characters are the speedsters! Falcon and fox both pack a punch where sonic lacks it though. Falcon with better smashes, Fox with better kill confirms. I will say, with limited time you'll probably have a better Falcon than Fox. Fox needs dedication to optimize all his combo setups, movement techniques (mostly PP, his is actually essential, though foxtrot and stuff is also worth learning with his particular timings in mind). While im not saying he doesn't require practice, Falcon can 'just get by' on basics more. Especially since it takes some ingenuity to beat an opponent just holding shield in kill percentages against Fox, while CF can punish with his huge dashgrab and work from there more easily.

I'd say play who you really want to most as your secondary. Sonic can realistically beat everyone in the cast with enough player skill and MU knowledge, along with a good run, he is totally tournament viable.

If you want pure tournament efficacy, you need to look at what causes you problems for your main and then choose a secondary based on that. Sonic has trouble with ZSS (though she was recently nerfed, i'd imagine a worse nair range is actually a biggish deal against Sonic since disjoints are really what he struggles with), Ike, and Megaman, that I know of. Both CF and fox beat megaman, though CF is a much worse MU in both my experience and majority opinion on the megaman boards. What is important from all this, is your local scene and who you struggle with. Use this knowledge, as well as what you want to do and what is giving you trouble, to make an informed decision. And remember, nothing is wrong, play whoever you like!
Your input is actually super helpful! Definetly gonna pick up Falcon and start practicing him again! But I'm also gonna look into Pikachu. Even though Sonic is completely tournament viable as you mentioned, he does have problems with the 3 top teirs and Fox (And so do I :mad:). Pikachu, from what I've read (and have been told by the mains themselves) gives all four of them problems! Either way, thanks a ton!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Wait until your character has left the ground and then do the up-air.

Alternatively, set the c-stick to attack and never worry about this again.

Link Storm

Smash Apprentice
So a few months after getting Smash 4 for Wii U in 2014, I decided to start playing competitively. I played a lot of FG (still do in hopes of good matches i.e. no input lag) to see how others played. I played my 3DS copy on the bus to and from school every day, playing against level 9 CPUs and using Practice Mode to test new combos and tricks. I even played a few max-level Amiibos to practice reading the opponent.

The problem is, I've only been to one tournament so far, and that was to see how I stood against other competitive players (lost instantly). I live in the Folsom area in California, and apparently that's a near-dead area for Smash 4 tournaments. I can't drive to tournaments in say San Francisco since I haven't gotten a permit or license to drive, so I need to work with my parent's schedule (which means either it's within 45 minutes drive or we're in the area anyways). I can't really practice against others locally since I go to a high school of less than 100 students. There are three people who are good players, but we all live in opposite directions from each other making it hard to meet up. We hold a gaming club on Mondays after school so we can use a Wii U to play, but other than that we have to use our 3DS's before and after school (and 3DS's are difficult to use after playing on Wii U for so long).

So the point is, I'm starting to run out of luck. My ability to read and pull of combos is getting worse somehow, and 95% of matches online have at least a quarter second of input lag. Is there someway I can practice with these conditions? I do have great internet (more than 100 mb/s down and at most 30 mb/s up) so I've been trying to find online players to friend via Miiverse that also have good internet. Other than that, I feel like I'm screwed.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Megamang

Smash Lord
Be aware that pikachu used to lose to shiek (its probably closer now, both struggle to confirm a kill so its down to pure player skill probably, but they each have setups that can get the job done with some frequency), ZSS has gotten better at hitting ground level and Rosalina is actually a pretty hard MU. Pikachu can definitely win the games, and he is in need of some more rep, but don't think he wins those matchups decisively. If you got that idea from ESAM, he is more optimistic about pikachu than most. Which is a good thing, and he is an amazing player, but he makes it look easy!

Sonic probably does better vs Shiek, in my opinion, and possibly rosalina. ZSS does struggle to hit the shorties.

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Should I remove all of my shield buttons to help get rid of my overeliance on using rolls shieldgrabs and oos moves?

Last edited:

TheGogiCarter

Smash Rookie
NNID
GogiCarter
I got the same problem, I'm from México and the tourneys are like 2 hrs for my home so, try playing on the anther's ladder. There's good people in there and don't worrying for the net connection in the anthers connects you with people close to you.
My internet connection is 12 mb dw and 2 up and i can play with guys from california and texas. Don't worry about that.

Another tip. if you want to play tourneys make them, you host the tourneys once a month for example.
with your friends, and post it on fb pages and so on. Or make them online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anther's helps a lot just for the diversity. If possible, join a Facebook group to get contacts. You might find people that drive through your area and you can carpool - though I can't guarantee your parents will approve.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Should I remove all of my shield buttons to help get rid of my overeliance on using rolls shieldgrabs and oos moves?
Yeah, that worked for me. Just doing it for a few battles can help.

I've recently hit a sort of wall where I'm not really sure what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. Here's two recent videos of me playing:
https://youtu.be/Qd0nJbDT6bk
https://youtu.be/AUA6-GBiM6w

I'm not actually a Mario main (although I did try to main him at some point), but either way I mostly want my general flaws as a player rather than my character.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hello, everyone! I hope you're all doing good :) I opened this thread because I need some help from you, the experts.

You see, I only have three friends (one of them is also my cousin) who play Smash. However, my cousin lives out of state and my other two friends can't come to my house very often to play, so I have no one to practice with. All three of them are great players and every time I play against them I feel my level increases a lot.

Venezuela, the country where I live, has the third worst internet service in the planet, so I can't play online either, because the lag is really something out of this world (besides, I've read that For Glory is a horrible place to practice). Anything related to online play is out of the question for me.

Now, about the computers. I always practice against level 8 computers because level 9 just sucks. They perfect shield everything and air dodge way too much. It's like I press their dodge button every time I try to attack. 8 is very similar, but not so bad like 9. 7 is more akin to actual human reactions, but their AI isn't very high, so it doesn't work for me either.

amiibos are not sold in Venezuela, and if they are, their prices are insanely high. They cost around $1560 each approximately (yes, that's how bad the country's economy is).

So, can anyone offer any ideas on how I could improve my game by myself? Thanks a lot!

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Hello, everyone! I hope you're all doing good :) I opened this thread because I need some help from you, the experts.

You see, I only have three friends (one of them is also my cousin) who play Smash. However, my cousin lives out of state and my other two friends can't come to my house very often to play, so I have no one to practice with. All three of them are great players and every time I play against them I feel my level increases a lot.

Venezuela, the country where I live, has the third worst internet service in the planet, so I can't play online either, because the lag is really something out of this world (besides, I've read that For Glory is a horrible place to practice). Anything related to online play is out of the question for me.

Now, about the computers. I always practice against level 8 computers because level 9 just sucks. They perfect shield everything and air dodge way too much. It's like I press their dodge button every time I try to attack. 8 is very similar, but not so bad like 9. 7 is more akin to actual human reactions, but their AI isn't very high, so it doesn't work for me either.

amiibos are not sold in Venezuela, and if they are, their prices are insanely high. They cost around $1560 each approximately (yes, that's how bad the country's economy is).

So, can anyone offer any ideas on how I could improve my game by myself? Thanks a lot!
The only thing I can really offer is to practice movement and what tech you can, see one-smash's tech of the week videos.
Or you can study the game from a design level and become a lab monster. See this guide by Fox is Openly Deceptive for how to do that.
When you can practice with real people then you bring out what you learn and develop the mind games (reading and the like).

Mr. Luma

Smash Rookie
NNID
BoyTheStar
Hey guys im pretty new to smash 4 community and I was wondering do you guys have any tips on improving??

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
I can't get out of autopilot at all in this game. When I start out a round sometimes I do fine, but then I lose the game because an opponent has figured me out but I can't figure them out. Rolling, airdodging throwing out attacks and especially mindgames all destroy me. As an example the classic mario roll behind and down smash move. I know they're going to do it, i just have no idea when, so it catches me every time. Even if i do see it coming all my punishes miss every time no matter which character i play as.

I've been playing for over a year now and still can't beat these things because I don't see them coming no matter how many times i've actually seen them before, if that makes sense? I more play by reaction; if they do it I'll try and stop them - is that the wrong way to play? If it is I've been playing wrong this entire time, and I don't know how in the world I can start over!!

Example 1: It isn't the same game, but it has a similar situation to the one I am in. I picked up Pokken the other day and battled a Blaziken online. They only used the same double kick move again and again but they defeated me. I knew it was coming, but I didn't know when they'd use it or how to get around it at all, despite knowing my character inside out.

Example 2: Little Macs who roll everywhere and only use smashes. I know it's coming, i really do, but for the life of me I can't read WHEN it'll happen, just that it will happen. And thats at the best of times.

Example 3: Marios who throw everything out, and go full-aggro. Since I have no idea what they'll do next and I can't work out when they'll roll/dodge or which way they'll do so, they always crush me. Even Zeldas who employ the same tactics defeat me just as badly.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Sounds like you need to get better at spacing and option coverage. Hard reading your opponent is fun, but really, you want to avoid doing if at all possible, saving going for reads as a last resort or when you pick up on a habit of your opponent.

There are ways to try and counter attack an option without leaving yourself vulnerable. For example, if you suspect your opponent will roll behind you, you might be inclined to turn around and smash them. But if your hunch is wrong, your opponent gets to punish you for free.

Instead, you could have dashed back and did a pivot f-tilt or jumped backwards and used an aerial. If they rolled behind you, they get punished. If not, you're not going to be punished much at all. More than likely, you just lose some stage control.

You also might not be putting enough pressure on your opponent. Trying to simply stand your ground and anticipate everything your opponent will do is a losing battle. You need to be proactive in limiting what your opponeny is allowed to do. In example, throwing out an aerial in front of your opponent without actually hitting them is really hard for your opponent to punish, but it also makes advancing on you or moving forward hard as well.

Instead of landing attacks that lead to a short combo or are just like one-and-done, use moves that reset the situation in your advantage. That is, link can often get an u-tilt or u-smash after down throw, but if the attack starts to launch them too far away, it could be better to use a sour spot n-air or z-air to lightly hit them and threaten with a regrab.

A very easy example is vs little mac. It's tempting to want to land your longest bread and butter combo on mac, but it's far more advantageous to change your combo so that it leaves little mac off stage, even if said combo does less damage.

You want to try and be in control of the match at all times, or as often as possible.

XCounter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CrossCounter
3DS FC
2981-7233-0181
Along with being more patient, I've been told that improving my ability to read opponents, understanding why they use options in certain situations and how to limit those options will be the most beneficial thing for my play. However, I'm really not sure where to start.

I feel like even though my eyes are locked on the opponent during a match, I'm not understanding what their best option in a situation is, I'm not picking up on many habits I could exploit (unless they're extremely obvious) and I'm even less aware of whether or not they've been conditioning me into some sort of habit that they themselves can punish. It's almost as if I can't process all that information during a match. Even when I watch sets on YouTube I don't really pick up on any habits a player is showing or why an option they chose was good or bad.

Is this skill just something that comes with experience, or is there a way to work on it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
What I hear all the time are these 2 tips:

- Get yourself a friend you can train with
- Save tons of replays and learn from them... find the mistakes you do and improve

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like you need to get better at spacing and option coverage. Hard reading your opponent is fun, but really, you want to avoid doing if at all possible, saving going for reads as a last resort or when you pick up on a habit of your opponent.

There are ways to try and counter attack an option without leaving yourself vulnerable. For example, if you suspect your opponent will roll behind you, you might be inclined to turn around and smash them. But if your hunch is wrong, your opponent gets to punish you for free.

Instead, you could have dashed back and did a pivot f-tilt or jumped backwards and used an aerial. If they rolled behind you, they get punished. If not, you're not going to be punished much at all. More than likely, you just lose some stage control.

You also might not be putting enough pressure on your opponent. Trying to simply stand your ground and anticipate everything your opponent will do is a losing battle. You need to be proactive in limiting what your opponeny is allowed to do. In example, throwing out an aerial in front of your opponent without actually hitting them is really hard for your opponent to punish, but it also makes advancing on you or moving forward hard as well.

Instead of landing attacks that lead to a short combo or are just like one-and-done, use moves that reset the situation in your advantage. That is, link can often get an u-tilt or u-smash after down throw, but if the attack starts to launch them too far away, it could be better to use a sour spot n-air or z-air to lightly hit them and threaten with a regrab.

A very easy example is vs little mac. It's tempting to want to land your longest bread and butter combo on mac, but it's far more advantageous to change your combo so that it leaves little mac off stage, even if said combo does less damage.

You want to try and be in control of the match at all times, or as often as possible.
Habits. Those seem all but impossible for me to pick up on. 2-stocks doesn't seem like enough time for me, yet some people know my habits before I even start moving. I faced a Metaknight who I only realised by the end of the match would always roll behind me when I tried to hit them. I was on autopilot for the most part trying to remember this advice about making a wall with my aerials as Robin (he'd always slip past them each time) and thinking to myself "I need this attack to hit him" not much more.

Tuwiki

Smash Rookie
Also see what people are saying on the forums about your chosen mains! You can pick up lots of ideas about how to change your game.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
The most important thing is to simply play the game.

You can look up guides, videos, and get tips all day long; however at the end of the day you still need to practice by actually playing. Reading about combos, advanced techs, and more is one thing but its another to actually learn how to do them yourself. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort just like anything else such as learning how to draw, get better at a certain sport, etc.

Next, it's always better to go against actual players. You can still use CPUs to practice certain things, but they can only get you so far as well. CPUs can fall for the silliest things and although it may become easy to preform certain combos on them eventually human players can be totally different. Essentially, CPUs can be great for practicing certain things but don't try to rely on just CPUs alone. Don't play against the same people all the time either. You can if you wish, but it's better to find a variety of opponents to go against.

Everyone has different skill levels after all, and of course mains different characters.

There's actually a thread in the Online Discussion where you can share your NNID (for Wii U) or Friend Code (3DS) and find a lot of people to Smash against that are perfectly willing. They will even offer advice if you ask most likely, and a lot of them are extremely nice.

The NNID Sharing Thread
The 3DS Code Sharing Thread

Again, the most important thing you can do to improve is to just keep playing and putting forth effort. You will get better through time.

MrRiyku

Smash Rookie
Hello.
Currently me and my brother are thinking about entering doubles in a local tournament, but we feel there's not a lot we can do to prepare. We don't normally have other people to practice with and our internet connection is awful, so For Glory is out of the question. Is there any way we can practice?

We're also trying to figure out good character combinations. I play as :4falcon: :4zss: :4ness: :4myfriends: And he plays as :4mario: :4cloud: :4dk:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Thanks but that video still has me confused . Shouldn't ledge trumping be a simple input?
Ledge trumping is just grabbing the ledge at the same time as your opponent; the opponent gets kicked off if they were grabbing it first.
There isn't any button to trump them or anything, it's more of a mechanic.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Habits. Those seem all but impossible for me to pick up on. 2-stocks doesn't seem like enough time for me, yet some people know my habits before I even start moving. I faced a Metaknight who I only realised by the end of the match would always roll behind me when I tried to hit them. I was on autopilot for the most part trying to remember this advice about making a wall with my aerials as Robin (he'd always slip past them each time) and thinking to myself "I need this attack to hit him" not much more.
As far as I know, there are 2 kinds of habits, Character and Player-specific habits.

Character habits is basically Match-up experience. If you know the characters' preferred methods of fighting, then you have already established an awareness for their habits. For example, Captain Falcon's infamous dash grab is amongst his best tools. It would be reasonable to expect this alongside some of his other strong tools like movement mix-ups, falling aerials. Knowing this, it's (generally) weak to shield against Falcon while frequently attacking against Falcon is (generally) good because, at worst, you'll trade with his approaches or, at best, stuff out his approaches.

I generalized an awful lot, but I hope you get the point of character habits.

Next are player habits, a.k.a. player skill habits. The best way for me to illustrate this is by example. A classic example is jumping out of hitstun. Lower level players are usually guilty of this, but it can happen to anyone.

Doing this once typically doesn't mean too much (however some people base their reads on one situation), but if this is done a second time, then the likelihood of this action being a habit increases, and that's where reads can reasonably be made. The next time you toss them off-stage, it would be reasonable to follow them and catch their double jump with an appropriate punish. (I do this to a Cloud friend of mine eheh, hurts to watch)

This kind of player-based read is the mark of a stronger player. This is why you will see good tournament players use a lot of low-risk moves (in neutral) at the beginning of a game; it's to see how they react to certain situations. If you play any sports, then replace the word "read" with "anticipate," that should ring a few bells. (sports and esports carry many of the same competitive principles)

As for 2-stocks not being long enough to get used to habits... Be thankful you're not playing 2D fighters lol

Cymbo

Smash Rookie
NNID
MiiPun
This weekend on sunday, I'll be going to my first ever smash tournament. I have to really good characters I have been practicing. Mewtwo, and Fox. I'm not sure who I should play as. Please help

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
This weekend on sunday, I'll be going to my first ever smash tournament. I have to really good characters I have been practicing. Mewtwo, and Fox. I'm not sure who I should play as. Please help
Play friendlies with both. Then use whichever one you feel more comfortable with at that time. Or, you can decide by match up. Fox will do better against certain characters than Mewtwo will and vice versa.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Oh man, I should've opened this thread a long time ago. Problem2 Problem2 that advice was so good I had to reread it a few times.

Megaman player here. I jump on FG now and then, with about a 20% win rate. I'd like to get better though, haha. What are some tips for dealing with rushdown characters? I tend to panic and autopilot (roll/smash >~<) when someone's up in my face. Also, my followup options seem pretty limited after (standing) triple lemon. Is that considered neutral or am I at a disadvantage?

Also, I noticed mention of MM having bad matchups with CF and Fox. (Villager sucks too if they know what to do). I've been thinking Dark Pit as a 2nd. Honestly I'll just get better at MM, but how is he against them?

This weekend on sunday, I'll be going to my first ever smash tournament.
I will say this: play LOTS of friendlies at tournaments. Most smashers are fun to hang with and you'll learn a ton and make lots of friends. There's nothing like being with a bunch of people who also don't want to stop playing your favorite game to go home. This one time we pulled an all-nighter playing, then the venue let us nap in the chairs before driving home.

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I should've opened this thread a long time ago. Problem2 Problem2 that advice was so good I had to reread it a few times.

Megaman player here. I jump on FG now and then, with about a 20% win rate. I'd like to get better though, haha. What are some tips for dealing with rushdown characters? I tend to panic and autopilot (roll/smash >~<) when someone's up in my face. Also, my followup options seem pretty limited after (standing) triple lemon. Is that considered neutral or am I at a disadvantage?

Also, I noticed mention of MM having bad matchups with CF and Fox. (Villager sucks too if they know what to do). I've been thinking Dark Pit as a 2nd. Honestly I'll just get better at MM, but how is he against them?

I will say this: play LOTS of friendlies at tournaments. Most smashers are fun to hang with and you'll learn a ton and make lots of friends. There's nothing like being with a bunch of people who also don't want to stop playing your favorite game to go home. This one time we pulled an all-nighter playing, then the venue let us nap in the chairs before driving home.
This should really go to the MM boards. Check here for your answers.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
So I was fighting a CPU Cloud on 3DS (don't have access to my Wii U at the moment) when I got hit by Limit Blade Beam, but instead of getting knocked away it just caused me to trip in place:

https://gfycat.com/DelayedAmazingHamster

Is that something that just happens with Cloud's Limit BB sometimes? If it helps, I had just turned around in an attempt to reflect it, and while I was getting hit by the Blade Beam I was DI-ing (not Smash DI-ing) either down and in or down and away.

Last edited:

Tomoya Okazaki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Damanye
3DS FC
1736-1475-6209
What do you guys do to practice in the lab? I'm curious to see what you guys do and how you layout how long you practice a specific thing. I ask this because I could use some help making one for myself.

Nick Moore

Smash Rookie
hey I'm a captain falcon main in smash 4 and i have recently run into a wall at tournaments of fighting robins and villagers i was wondering if anybody had advice for me as captain falcon to deal with projectiles i have tried being overly aggro and patiently shielding waiting for an opening but nothing has worked any help or ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom