• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Plan for Spammy Links?

Kazmyer

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I've been running into some issues with my Link matchup. I seem to do fine against other projectile characters and sword characters, but for some reason, I have been auto-losing to Link in Quickplay. I can't handle the spam and the long-range anti-airs that keep me from getting in. If I try to crouch projectiles he bombs me, if I shield them I get shield broken. If I jump and try to use Nair or Bair, I get Utilted or Ftilted. Is there something I'm not doing?

For context, this week I have been hovering around 2-2.5 mil GSP.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Kazmyer Kazmyer
I try delivering my own version of projectile pressure with Headers/Header Cancels and Sun Sals. Stir up chaos for Links to contend with. Don't let them think they're the only ones who have some say in all the mess flying around. Beat Boomerangs and Arrows with sufficiently charged Sun Sals and carefully/safely direct your Balls in the mist of all the chaos. You want them to hit, or at least help promote you into a better position to make something significant happen, not be deflected back at you. More importantly, I try not allowing myself to FEEL overwhelmed or that I am in a losing battle against all of his version of projectile pressure. Stay in the fight and the openings shall come.

Maybe I'll upload some of my matches against the Links, and edit this post with them.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I really have to agree with jwillenn on this one. How do you beat three good projectiles? With two great ones. Keep a charged Sun Salutation ready to eat through boomerangs and arrows and hit Link while he's still in end lag. Use header from a distance that you pop him in the head to avoid having the hylean shield get in the way. Always remember that Link has to charge his bow longer to hit from far away, while Wii Fit Trainer does long distance by firing off headers early. As long as you are outside of bomb range, you should be winning easily. Also don't be afraid to just knock bombs back at Link, forcing him to waste time throwing them back at you or give up space to detonate them safely.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yeah, it somewhat depends on what kind of spammy Link you're dealing with.

I think this still holds up from Smash 4, but Links that just like to run to the corner and throw boomerangs and shoot arrows are pretty easily dealt with, because our projectiles are just better from a long distance and the angle on Header can bonk him in the head, avoiding the Hylian Shield. Straight arrow spam is particularly easy to deal with with Header (and you can charge SS in the air or after you've hit them).

But I think there are better strategies for BoW Link and Young Link than SSB4 Link. I haven't played against Link enough to get enough experience against extra spammy ones (the better matching system* compared to For Glory may be part of that). But a brain-dead Link spammer should lose vs. WFT. What's funny is sometimes people like that will keep doing it even after they've clearly been losing the spam wars...

*I know people like to complain about it, but I've definitely had fewer matches against weak players than in SSB4, although I think there was still some kind of skill-based matchmaking in SSB4 (that just wasn't visible to players). Of course, that doesn't erase the issues, it just means that aspect works better...

the_lennyface

Smash Rookie
I made a crawl guide for Snake players. Although it's for a different character, WFT can crawl under all of these projectiles as well since her crawl is actually shorter than Snake's. You can dodge a lot of the Link projectiles by crouching so maybe this can help you out.

Top Bottom