• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Over - Return of Ganon! Support Thread of the classic Demon King! - (OP stepping down, thread open for take over)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
A thought occurs that Phantom Ganon would be an ideal character to Alfonzo into Ganondorf's Final Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A thought occurs that Phantom Ganon would be an ideal character to Alfonzo into Ganondorf's Final Smash.
I mean, Zero Suit Samus already gets into her Power Suit despite also being playable separately for her Final Smash. I don't really see any reason why we can't just have Ganon normally without effecting Ganondorf's Final Smash, especially since the Ganon most people want is the one from A Link to the Past/Between Worlds with the Trident and all, which already has a vastly different design from the one in Ocarina of Time.

Also the images in the OP where apparently broken so I got those fixed, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I mean, Zero Suit Samus already gets into her Power Suit despite also being playable separately for her Final Smash. I don't really see any reason why we can't just have Ganon normally without effecting Ganondorf's Final Smash, especially since the Ganon most people want is the one from A Link to the Past/Between Worlds with the Trident and all, which already has a vastly different design from the one in Ocarina of Time.

Also the images in the OP where apparently broken so I got those fixed, sorry about that.
I mean it's less about Alfonzoing Pig Ganon and more trying to make the Final Smash appropriate. I don't remember Beast Ganon in Ocarina of Time charging down characters like in Twilight Princess.

Wow I suck at Photoshop.
ganonpic.png

There's a Virgin and Chad meme in here somewhere.
dorf.png

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Drew this earlier. Wow he fits in well.
Now I'm even more sad that Ganon never got anywhere as much support as those guy's for Smash. Would have been great to see him in (and maybe Andross if they can make him work) So the whole SNES villain gang can be here.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I honestly don’t really know why Ganon hasn’t been added yet. He’s one of if not the most prevalent villain in the series and would be very interesting moveset wise. Is it just because of size or the fact that Ganon is canonically op? I think Ridley kind of settled the size issue, and I personally don’t think in-series power really matters much if you’re important to the games you’re in ( though I’m not even sure if this is prominent reasoning against him or not lol). Another argument that’s brought up is that Ganondorf is already in and it would be redundant or unnecessary to have both, despite both being radically different in many aspects. There is also the fact that Samus is in the game as two separate characters (regular Samus and ZSS) so the “same character” argument kind of goes down the drain. Regardless, I support Ganon as a newcomer and would like to be put on the support list.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think part of the reason why Ganon isn't in the game by now is just due to lack of support and most people seeing his Ganondorf form as the main and definitive form of Ganon, despite being less prevailent than his pig form, even to this day. Heck Sakurai apparently didn't even notice K.Rool's support until the ballot came along.

Another reason may also be because people are far more focused on Ganondorf finally getting a fully unique moveset and are pushing for that harder, heck Toon Ganondorf is apparently more supported than Ganon in Japan for Smash if one of those Japanese polls are anything to go by...
It may also be due to the general stigma people have with the current representation of the Zelda series being mainly comprised of the triforce trio and variations of, hopefully if Skull Kid makes it in, people will loosen up a bit more on that.

His size doesn't matter though, as Dalek Kolt showed, he fits in just fine with the other villains in terms of scale. Power also doesn't mean much as we already have a lot of characters who are canonical very powerful in their home games.

Anyway, I have updated the supporters list with all the new supporters that came along as well as all the supporters from the Smash Wii U/3DS speculation day's.

We are now at 95 supports, we've almost reached 100!

Last edited:
I support Ganon, I've wanted this since I saw a support thread for him during Smash 4, it was something I never thought about, probably because we have Ganondorf. Unfortunately I just don't know if he's likely. But my GOD I'd love it! Especially with Ridley and K.Rool getting in. One of Nintendo's oldest and most iconic villains definitely deserves a spot.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
it was something I never thought about.
This seems to be the case whenever I bring it up. Not sure why. The distinction between Ganondorf and Ganon is at least equal to that of Zelda/Sheik, and certainly larger than Link/Other Link(s). I suppose Ganondorf rapidly became the most renowned version of the character owing to OoT's success.

I see Ganon being most associated with the NES/SNES era as a strength, however. Combined with the other Zelda reps, it effectively grants Smash representation for the whole history of Zelda:

Modern - Link
GC/DS/alt. timeline series - Toon Link
N64 "iconic" forms - Young Link/Ganondorf/Sheik
SNES - Zelda (kind of - they've stated it's the LBW design, but it has its origins in LttP)/Ganon
NES - Definitely Ganon

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
This seems to be the case whenever I bring it up. Not sure why. The distinction between Ganondorf and Ganon is at least equal to that of Zelda/Sheik, and certainly larger than Link/Other Link(s). I suppose Ganondorf rapidly became the most renowned version of the character owing to OoT's success.

I see Ganon being most associated with the NES/SNES era as a strength, however. Combined with the other Zelda reps, it effectively grants Smash representation for the whole history of Zelda:

Modern - Link
GC/DS/alt. timeline series - Toon Link
N64 "iconic" forms - Young Link/Ganondorf/Sheik
SNES - Zelda (kind of - they've stated it's the LBW design, but it has its origins in LttP)/Ganon
NES - Definitely Ganon
Bring vaati in for the game boy games. List would then look complete to me

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Bring vaati in for the game boy games. List would then look complete to me
I suppose Toon Link also acts as a GB rep through Minish Cap.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Vaati would be interesting, but don't see him being the first Zelda character to break the pattern of triforce users. I personally think Skull Kid has the biggest chance there, as much as I'd prefer Ganon.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You know what? As much as I want to see ganondorf with his OOT moveset (which I still really want to see regardless), adding classic ganon would make a lot of sense. He could have a reflectable orb, he could throw his trident, he could use electricity, and fire. He could turn into a bat for his up b. He could even have a duplicate "false" ganon as maybe down b. I'm taking attacks from aghnim here as well as ganon himself since aghnim is ganon in desguise.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There are a lot of villains they could add to the roster and a few of them truly deserve it like Ganon does. I would say Ganon along with Porky are the next villains that should definitely get in the roster, so he has my support.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks a ton for all the support everyone, I've updated the supporters list. We are now only one supporter away from reaching 100 supporters now!

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
I would have liked it if they updated Ganondorf with a few classic moves (such as some using the trident or magic projectiles) and less Falcon-clone stuff. But I love LttP and this would be an awesome alternative, even if I dont find it especially likely. Count me in as a supporter!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know for a long time I've been an advocate of Ganondorf getting a new moveset that better represents him. But If I'm to be honest, I don't really consider that a problem anymore. His playstyle is different from Captain Falcon's, he's finally using that sword a bit, and when I take a look at Zelda as a whole I see that he honestly uses a sword and physical strikes more often than he uses magic. I could see the argument for Dead Man's Volley and Phantom Ganon's Portals as new special moves. But part of me wonders if that would mess too much with the kit of his moveset.

So all in all, I'm not clamoring for Ganon as an absolutely vital addition anymore. But I still like the idea and would be A-OK with him becoming playable. Count me in as a supporter.

One thing I'd like to propose for a Final Smash. Dark Beast Ganon. He traps opponents in a burst of Malice from Breath of the Wild and launches a cutscene attack where he assumes the form of Botw's final boss and uses that dark breath attack.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'd like to propose for a Final Smash. Dark Beast Ganon. He traps opponents in a burst of Malice from Breath of the Wild and launches a cutscene attack where he assumes the form of Botw's final boss and uses that dark breath attack.
Oo, I love speculating final smashes, and I like this idea as something to tie him back to the rest of the series. Other ideas:
  • Summons Gohma, Helmasaur King, or another iconic boss for massive damage
  • Opens a portal to the Dark World, causing a cutscene of the caught fighters being transformed into rabbits, then blasted away
  • A mockery of Zelda's new final smash, trapping fighters in the princess-sealing crystal seen in aLttP
  • Zips his trident around the screen in a manner similar to Pac-Man, Sonic, and Pikachu's new final smash
  • Another zippy move or cutscene that sees Ganon playing deadman's volley with Agahim, Dark Link, Phantom Ganon, or himself (dragonball speed style), trapping other fighters in the center

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Giving my support. If we can have three Links, two Ganons is fine. Personally I've always wanted to see Ganondorf the man duke it out with Ganon the monster, be it in a Zelda game or in Smash. Would be nice to have a heavyweight that uses magic, trickery, and lots of projectiles. I imagine he'd have some kind of temporary invisibility mechanic like in Zelda 1 and ALTTP.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I love the idea of having Ganon as a character! I wasn't always, I wonder what warmed me up to the idea.
The trident is cool, having another Zelda villain is cool, and showing what Ganondorf could become is awesome.

Definitely think the moveset potential is there, would be very happy if he made it into smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, after seeing K.Rool's running animation being on all fours, what would you think are the chances that Sakurai would do the same with Ganon's running animation?
I guess it would sort of reference some of his other appearances where he was on all fours like in Twilight Princess, Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors...

Also, we've finally reached more than 100 supporters!

Last edited:

EXE-Acua

Smash Rookie
I simply dont undestand how the main villain from The Legen of Zelda games isnt in Smash and most shockingly how a lot of Zelda fans dont care about it.

I support this, I made my account mostly to support this.

D

Deleted member

Gonondorf is a derivative character both in Zelda and in Smash
I think I'm missing what derivative is supposed to mean in this scenario. In any case, Ganondorf and Ganon are the same being.

EXE-Acua

Smash Rookie
I think I'm missing what derivative is supposed to mean in this scenario. In any case, Ganondorf and Ganon are the same being.
Ganondorf is a derivative character from Ganon in Zelda games and from Captain Falcon in Smash. That was what I mean.

EXE-Acua

Smash Rookie
maybe in terms of develoment but ganondorf is ganon
Yeah Ganondorf is technically the same being as Ganon, but he is a different character for me, like its own distinct entity. Maybe a similar thing to what happens with The Hulk and Bruce Banner or Simon and Ice King from adventure time.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah Ganondorf is technically the same being as Ganon, but he is a different character for me, like its own distinct entity. Maybe a similar thing to what happens with The Hulk and Bruce Banner or Simon and Ice King from adventure time.
well yes i can see that but unlike those two examples they do have the same personalities and goals

based on eveything we know about the timeline and whats said in the games i think the ganon in four swords adventures and botw are not the same one

He's my favorite animal crossing character. I support.

Why is he an amiibo villager.
personally i find that awesome

Oddball

Smash Lord
well yes i can see that but unlike those two examples they do have the same personalities and goals
I'd disagree. While they started out in the same place, Ganon's personality and goals seems to lack any of the more posative and sympathetic emelents Ganondorf has shown. Ganon is Ganondorf fully corrupted into pure monster form.

Top Bottom