• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Over - Return of Ganon! Support Thread of the classic Demon King! - (OP stepping down, thread open for take over)

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think him turning into Calamity Beast Ganon for a Final Smash should work out alright. I mean, it was basically portrayed as the form that "one ups" Moblin Ganon in Breath of the Wild....

Perhaps have him turn into that and then release a large beam like it does in that game, being shot to the ground and then gradually raised up. Then reverting back into Moblin Ganon.
He doesn't have to turn into Calamity Beast Ganon. Just the vaguely piggy cloud thing would be all right by me. It could work a bit like Bayonetta's Final Smash. That's what I always imagined, anyway.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd rather not have classic Ganon reference the modern Ganon with his final Smash. I'd rather he do something more with the Triforce of Power or truning the stage into the Dark World or something.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support Ganon for Smash Bros Ultimate.

If we can get alternate versions of Link and Zelda then why not Ganon, too? The classic form of Ganon is not only the most drastically different counterpart compared to the other alternate versions of Link and Zelda, but he's also another anthropomorphic character and I can't say no to more of them especially for someone as iconic as him. He has so much material to draw from so having a unique moveset and final Smash to distinguish himself from Ganondorf won't be hard. It may not be the most well-liked pick especially for a series like Zelda but it's definitely a more unique selection to make that I feel would work.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It may not be the most well-liked pick especially for a series like Zelda but it's definitely a more unique selection to make that I feel would work.
He's probably like ARMS was before Min Min: People don't want him because of several reasons but if they actually add him I'm pretty sure he would be well recieved by most.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'd rather not have classic Ganon reference the modern Ganon with his final Smash. I'd rather he do something more with the Triforce of Power or truning the stage into the Dark World or something.
Hmm... what if he summons a big army of Zelda monsters, like Moblins and Stalfos, and makes them rush his opponents? Or he could summon a classic boss that's bigger than him, like Barba/Volvagia or the Helmasaur King. I think I like that more than Calamity Ganon, come to think of it!

I love this one!

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Maybe instead of Calamity Ganon he'll just use the Blood Moon to do it. Taking some inspiration from Calamity Ganon but not transform into it.

Either way, summoning classic enemies sounds like a great idea for a Final Smash. Moblins, Darknuts, Lynels, Stalfos, Wizzrobes, Gibdos,
Gleeok, Aquamentus, Ghoma, Manhandala and that's just off my head. Quite a selection of things which could cause significant damage.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dunno. theres something anti climatic about summoning a bunch of enemies that are less powerful than the character for a FS

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Maybe he could do something paralleling Zelda's final smash where he utilizes his triforce, instead of sucking in a single opponent and dealing a lot of damage to them, he can do a full screen covering blast that takes out every opponent over 100%

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose if you want to involve the Triforce, you could also have Ganon send the opponent to the Pyramid in the Dark World from A Link to the Past and then proceed to destroy them there with the Triforce, especially if their over 100% damage, then it would be an instant KO.

Kind of like the other villain Final Smashes like K.Rool, Ridley and Sephiroth...

Could also be a bit of a contrast with Zelda's Final Smash where her Triforce gets smaller as it explodes, Ganon's would get bigger instead, covering the entire Dark World before it blows up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose if you want to involve the Triforce, you could also have Ganon send the opponent to the Pyramid in the Dark World from A Link to the Past and then proceed to destroy them there with the Triforce, especially if their over 100% damage, then it would be an instant KO.

Kind of like the other villain Final Smashes like K.Rool, Ridley and Sephiroth...

Could also be a bit of a contrast with Zelda's Final Smash where her Triforce gets smaller as it explodes, Ganon's would get bigger instead, covering the entire Dark World before it blows up.
i like it

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
i dunno. theres something anti climatic about summoning a bunch of enemies that are less powerful than the character for a FS
I can understand how one can think summoning a minion to deal a blow would be sort of weak for a big baddy.

But he wouldn't be just summoning a minion, but an army of monsters and titans at his command. It's not just lone brute strength Ganon goes for, he wants to bend the world around him to his will. Bringing forth invasion and corruption like a tyrant that wants to rule it all is pretty much the heart of Ganon's character, and a monster horde is exactly how he does it.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you'd rather be dealing with just Ganon alone. Not him in a room filled to the brim with Darknuts, Lynels, with Gleeok and Ghoma...

Hey Nintendo, get cracking on that "Legend of Zelda Dungeon Maker" already!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can understand how one can think summoning a minion to deal a blow would be sort of weak for a big baddy.

But he wouldn't be just summoning a minion, but an army of monsters and titans at his command. It's not just lone brute strength Ganon goes for, he wants to bend the world around him to his will. Bringing forth invasion and corruption like a tyrant that wants to rule it all is pretty much the heart of Ganon's character, and a monster horde is exactly how he does it.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you'd rather be dealing with just Ganon alone. Not him in a room filled to the brim with Darknuts, Lynels, with Gleeok and Ghoma...

Hey Nintendo, get cracking on that "Legend of Zelda Dungeon Maker" already!
still feels anti climatic

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It doesn't have to be. I imagine it looking something like this...

...but with enemies from the first three Zelda games. To me, that's more exciting than copying Zelda's Final Smash or sending his enemies to the Pyramid of Power (since the Pyramid doesn't make him stronger or anything).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who said anything about the Pyramid making him stronger or w/e? He'd just send them to the Dark World (The Pyramid is just one of the major locations from that game associated with him where it can take place) and then just use his Triforce there to take them out.

Doesn't even have to be the Dark World I suppose, can even just be regular Hyrule where he's essentially shown to take it over I guess.
You can even throw in a number of mooks to attack in there first as well if you want, showcasing how he doesn't even care that his own minions are thrown into the chaos of it as he delivers the final blow with the Triforce and beats his opponents.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who said anything about the Pyramid making him stronger or w/e? He'd just send them to the Dark World (The Pyramid is just one of the major locations from that game associated with him where it can take place) and then just use his Triforce there to take them out.

Doesn't even have to be the Dark World I suppose, can even just be regular Hyrule where he's essentially shown to take it over I guess.
You can even throw in a number of mooks to attack in there first as well if you want, showcasing how he doesn't even care that his own minions are thrown into the chaos of it as he delivers the final blow with the Triforce and beats his opponents.
see that feels more on brand, huge amounts of devastation, his own minions getting destroyed in the process.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I support. I do not have much input here for lack of experience beyond the original installment of Legend of Zelda, but three things that I think are important:

1. VANISH ! HE SHOULD BE HARD TO TRACK DOWN FOR A SUPER HEAVY BECAUSE OF INVISIBILITY AND BEING ABLE TO MOVE WHILE ATTACKING.

2. PROJECTILES! HE NEEDS TOOLS TO KEEP THE OPPONENT ON THEIR FEET.

3. I suggest giving Ganon this mechanic: While he is running, he takes no damage or knock back from any attack to his front, and no knockback, but slight damage when attacked from the rear. This makes him hard to camp against.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
That's way too broken, dude. Zero damage from any attack from the front when he's running? They'd have to give him some tremendous drawback to make up for it, which would make him either unplayable or more shredded than Meta Knight in Brawl.

I agree about the invisibility, though. Being slippery and hard to track has always been part of his shtick, in both the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah a dash that is literally invincible isn't just gonna be good for dealing with camping, that nullifies all direct approach options. Simply running up to an opponent in neutral should not be a 50-50.

A reflector could force zoney characters to come to him or he could have a dash attack/side b with projectile invulnerability, depends on what kind of game plan you're looking for

Oddball

Smash Lord
I agree about the invisibility, though. Being slippery and hard to track has always been part of his shtick, in both the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past.
Invisibility is a hard thing to implement. It can very easily lead to players killing themselves.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Invisibility is a hard thing to implement. It can very easily lead to players killing themselves.
Think of it like Mewtwo, Palutena or Zelda's teleport. They could make it work as long as the Ganon player is paying attention to where they are. A skillful player would be able to trick other players or get some good reads out of it.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
It would both make him powerful and tricky to the player if Ganondorf could freely vanish, as both the player and the opponent would have to estimate where he is. He could also have super armor with a brief animation after being struck, attacking, or voluntarily reappearing.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
If it worked like that, then I think he should turn visible again if he's hit, as punishment for being predictable. That's assuming the "player" marker doesn't give him away, like the Cloaking Device in Melee.

Invisibility could also be worked into his dodges.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Here's an additional moveset for people to consider. Not sure how this whole system works in regards to getting it into the OP.

*Tough Guy Ability

*Special Trait, Ganon’s Wrath, rage cap is boosted from 150% to 200%

*Very heavy. Heavier than Bowser.

*Very Slow walking speed

*Dash is initially slow, but with very high acceleration (by high I mean noticeable rather than acceleration quickly) giving him a top speed similar to Greninja

*Abysmal jumping ability, second only to Little Mac.

* Trident has a tipper

Overall he’s cumbersome to move, but his high weight and the range he has on his lance attacks make him a very defensive fighter. Ganon does not move much, so he has to wait for his opponent to come to him, a good Ganon player will make that very difficult for the opponent. His kill potential is a little wonky, with a mix of moves that are easy to hit with but not very strong, to quite powerful, but difficult to land hits with and a special move that is somewhat gimmicky. Rage will be a big factor in his kill potential as he will probably be spending a lot of time in high %s as enemies struggle to kill him. Most of his attacks deal moderate knockback, so his combo potential is limited. Ultimately he's a character with a lot of weakness, but also a lot of strengths and tools to mitigate his weakness.

Attack
Name
Description
3 hit comboGanon punches with his fist, slashes with his trident and then attempts to shock his opponent with magic. Unlike most jab combo, each hit has launch potential, so it doesn’t combo into itself. The fist and trident have moderate knockback, while the lightning strike has quite high knockback. You are unlikely to hit with it though, as an enemy would need to walk into it (or be a heavy character at a low percent). The potential of the combo however, makes Ganon somewhat hard to approach. It also makes it rather unsafe for enemies to shield against as it can rack up a lot of shield damage.
Trident SlashA large slash of the trident, look at his trident slash in the Oracle games for visual reference
Overhead SlashA wide arcing overhead slash with his trident.
Fire PalmGanon charges up a flame in his hand and blasts nearby enemies. One of Ganon’s best kill moves with very high damage and knockback, but also one of his less reliable moves as its range is quite short and the hit box does not last very long.

Taken from an attack Ganon uses in Hyrule Warriors.
Full Body RushExactly as the name implies, Ganon does a full body rush. The attack’s hitbox is quite large as Ganon himself is quite large.
Trident StabA long stab with his trident like what Yuga Ganon does. Can be angled.
Vertical StabGanon stabs his trident vertically upwards. One of his more powerful attacks, but the hit box is quite narrow.
Warp BombGanon disappears and a blast of energy falls down from above where he was standing. Can be used to avoid attacks. Has surprisingly little ending lag. Also based on an attack he does as Yuga Ganon.
Blazing BatsFiery bats from his A Link to the Past battle fly around Ganon in a circle, damaging enemies they come in contact with.
LungeGanon lunges forward with his trident. High ending lag.
Butt HurtGanon hits his opponent with the butt of his trident
Helicopter TridentGanon spins his trident around hitting multiple times.
PoundGanon stalls and drops using the animation he has for pounding in A Link to the Past.
Grab
Ganon grabs with his free hand. Not a whole lot of range to it,
BiteGanon bites his opponent.
Baseball TridentGanon tosses his opponent upwards and hits them with his trident, knocking them away in front of him.
Lightning StrikeGanon tosses his foe away from him and a bolt of lightning strikes them.
Trident SwipeGanon tosses his foe upwards and swipes with his trident, knocking them further upwards.
Burning BreathGanon throws his foe down and breaths fire on them like Bowser (this is also something he does in Hyrule Warriors)

Attack
Name
Picture
Description
Malice
1620166158937.png
Ganon stabs his trident into the ground creating a pool of Malice from Breath of the Wild. Enemies who are knocked into this pool suffer damage as if it were lava and, most importantly, are instantly killed if they are over 100% damage. The size of the pool is approximately that of a battlefield platform. The pool will slowly dissipate over time and Ganon cannot summon another until a few seconds after his last pool has completely vanished, but if he uses this move again while standing in a pool of Malice, he will suck it back up into him. This will heal 3% damage to him regardless of how much of the Malice was left. When Ganon is able to summon a pool, a cloud of malice will smoke from his mouth and nostrils. Given Ganon’s difficulty landing killing moves, an attack that kills regardless of knockback is very valuable to him, as is controlling the stage to make approaching him more difficult for his enemies.
Demon Cannon
Ganondorf charges up a projectile attack in his hand. Meanwhile the player can move a shadow forward like Greninja’s Shadow Sneak (unlike Greninja, Ganon cannot move while this attack is being performed). When the player releases the button, Ganon warps to the spot where the shadow is and fires the projectile in the opposite direction to where he was previously facing. If it hits an enemy in the back, it deals increased damage.

Based on his fighting style in the original The Legend of Zelda for the NES.
Trident Warp
This attack has two versions. If you tap the button, Ganondorf will twirl the trident above him like a helicopter, giving him some horizontal recovery. If you hold the button, Ganon will throw the trident like a boomerang. Continue to hold it and it will return to him with no recovery potential at all, but release the button before it returns to him and Ganon will warp to that spot and perform a powerful slash with it. While waiting for the trident to return to him, Ganon stays motionless in the air (in one way this leaves him quite open, but in another he is free to warp away at any time).

Based on his fighting style first seen in A Link to the Past and replicated in many other games.
Magical Shield
Ganondorf glows red, giving him knockback and stun immunity to the next attack to hit him. Only Final Smashes and other special attacks like Little Mac’s KO punch can damage him. Useful for keeping him alive, but is fails to do much against multi hit attacks. Projectiles and light attacks that wouldn’t normally stun him because of his tough guy status won’t break the shield. Weaker projectiles won’t deal any damage to him at all (because without something to deal with projectiles he’d be a sitting duck to them). One of the more useful aspects of this is making reckless attacks safer on Ganon when he is at high %s and has a lot of rage built up. After the shield is broken, there is a 20 second cooldown before he can cast another one.

Taken from something he does towards the end of his battle in Four Swords Adventures and Breath of the Wild.
Master of the Triforce
1620168075399.png
Ganon swipes with his trident, bringing his enemies to the Sacred Realm, he then raises the complete Triforce above his head and the surrounding area immediatly becomes corrupted with darkness. Despite the dark surroundings, the Triforce continues to glow. Ganon laughs as the Triforce continues to brighten until it consumes the entire screen. Damage is dealt to the enemies captured in the attack and any with over 100% damage are instantly killed.

So to use Ganon well you really need to make use of his specials. Using the Malice is going to be his most reliable way of killing things, and his side and up specials are going to be some of his more effective ways of moving around the stage. While his down special will be vital for shrugging off projectiles and unleashing riskier attacks. His throws will be some of the best way of forcing enemies into the Malice, but his grab range is weak.

Personally I really like the idea for his side smash. It's a good way to implement the NES incarnations invisible fighting style while also making an attack with a very unconventional (but still effective) method of attack.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I've been one-and-off about remaking the ALBW model in HD, but that's because the 3d model references aren't the best and I'm terrible at modeling.
But I found this while grinding through Hyrule Warriors so I might try again.
1620491556927.png

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, I'm currently in the process of making some Ganon recolors, and I wanted some opinions.

I'm making his default colors his A Link to the Past artwork, and I'm for sure making recolors based off of his Legend of Zelda (NES), Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Seasons/Ages (sprite), Four Swords Adventure, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild.

That leaves me one more recolor that I'm undecided on. I'm considering his LoZ hit sprite, his Adventure of Link/Link's Awakening silhouette with white eyes, a Demise-inspired recolor, and A Link Between Worlds' Yuga Ganon. Which of those would y'all consider most fitting?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, I'm currently in the process of making some Ganon recolors, and I wanted some opinions.

I'm making his default colors his A Link to the Past artwork, and I'm for sure making recolors based off of his Legend of Zelda (NES), Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Seasons/Ages (sprite), Four Swords Adventure, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild.

That leaves me one more recolor that I'm undecided on. I'm considering his LoZ hit sprite, his Adventure of Link/Link's Awakening silhouette with white eyes, a Demise-inspired recolor, and A Link Between Worlds' Yuga Ganon. Which of those would y'all consider most fitting?
A Demise inspired recolor sounds cool.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So has anyone seen this Ocarina of Time Ganon concept art in this video yet?

17:14 looks like Adventure of Link Ganon while 20:07 looks like a hybrid form of his human and demon pig forms which I find super cool. His hybrid form concept looks like a Zoan Devil Fruit user from One Piece which I really dig.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

id say one of the latter two

Top Bottom