• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Modes You’d Like to See

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For those who want a break from roster discussion, which game modes or game mode changes would you have liked in Ultimate and hope make it into the next game?

The things that I’d probably want the most are being able to change your character between online battles and online 8 player battles (probably won’t happen since it‘d probably cause a lot of connection/lag issues).

Other fun ideas but less important to me but possibly more important for other players:

Soccer/Basketball/KoTH/CtF: New, fun casual multiplayer modes.

Deathmatch: people can play with a KO limit if they want to.

Revival of Coin Smash/Target Test/Board the Platforms/Smash Run: Game modes that some fans missed.

Fixed Smash Tour: I feel if this was more like Mario Party, it could be pretty fun.

New Adventure Mode: While I enjoyed each adventure mode, something that‘s a cross of all three of them could be interesting (a story taking place across many gaming universes with platforming/fighting maps). Also, I feel that it should be about as long as pre-Great Maze SSE since WoL and SSE with the Great Maze took a very long time. I’d be fine with WoL 2 if that’s the direction for the next game, but I could see something closer to this proposed mode if the next game is a reboot.

Ideal but will never happen due to how many resoucres it would need:

All-Star Battle Royale: The enitre roster fights on a giant map until only 1 character is left

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Smash Run totally deserves to come back and its kind of a bummer it didn't return. It was one of the most notable additions to Smash 3DS and its inclusion would have added another layer of replayability to Ultimate's already abundant content. As for Smash Tour, I never got to play it as I only played the Wii U version at school tournaments. From what I seen, I actually think it looks fun and, like what Pupp said, it would be a very good game mode if it got improvements.

A new game mode I just thought of is a combination of All Star and Squad Strike modes. Up to 8 players choose one character and during a match when a character gets KOed, they get swapped out with another random character. Whenever a character gets KOed, they can't get randomly chosen again and the match continues until every character (except the last one remaining) gets knocked out. This also means that when the number of characters matches the number of players, the players who lose their stock first will be kicked from the match. To me, this is the best way to have a mode where it feels like every character in the game is fighting each other while taking into consideration the limits of the Switch.

I agree with Pupp. One of my most wanted features it to be able to change my character in quick play without losing connection to another player. Why can't we switch characters in between rounds? I get there is arenas for that, but that is no excuse to not have a basic feature.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
A new game mode I just thought of is a combination of All Star and Squad Strike modes. Up to 8 players choose one character and during a match when a character gets KOed, they get swapped out with another random character. Whenever a character gets KOed, they can't get randomly chosen again and the match continues until every character (except the last one remaining) gets knocked out. This also means that when the number of characters matches the number of players, the players who lose their stock first will be kicked from the match. To me, this is the best way to have a mode where it feels like every character in the game is fighting each other while taking into consideration the limits of the Switch.
This mode sounds really fun, it’s like Smash Down that is 1 big match instead of multiple smaller ones.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s a slightly altered take of mine on Smash Run; firstly, the most noticeable change would be that the whole thing takes place in Dracula’s Castle (the Castlevania one; more specifically, Castlevania 1), so naturally, it’s big in size.

The idea is the same as in Smash for 3DS. Except instead of special items to equip before each Smash Run session, you equip Spirits before. And instead of collecting stat boosts from City Trial, you earn normal gameplay items by either defeating enemies or hitting candles.

Whenever you see a red door (taken straight from Subspace Emissary), you’ll enter a random challenge. When you succeed in that challenge, you’ll earn a Spirit that’s rarer than others. When you fail, you get booted right back onto the main map.

When you see a red door covered in dark mist, a mini-boss (some of them Assist Trophy characters) awaits beyond it for a chance to earn more Spirits and other goodies. When you see a purple door (taken from the Subspace levels) in that same mist, a normal boss awaits for a chance to earn an extremely rare Spirit.

Before any door, you get a preview above said door of what the challenges are going to be or which boss or mini-boss you’re going to face. There are also stars next to the title of each challenge, determining the difficulty.

:starman:=Easy

:starman::starman:=Medium

:starman::starman::starman:=Hard

When the timer runs out (5:00 again, just like the 3DS game), the fighters are presented with one final challenge that either has all of them at once or in separate screens. Unlike the 3DS version, up to 8 players (human or CPU) can participate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Didn't we have this thread already?

Board the Platforms
Boss Rush
Break the Targets
SSE style mode

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Here was the additional stuff for if a reworked Smash Run was the bigger part of Spirits instead of WoL:

Subspace Emissary
-Mite

-Roturret

-Bucculus

-Glire/Glice/Glunder

-Poppant

-Trowlon

-Puppit

Super Mario
-Goomba/Paragoomba/Giant Goomba

-Koopa Troopa/Paratroopa

-Bullet Bill

-Hammer Bro

-Lakitu

-Magikoopa

-Bill Blaster

-Shy Guy/Fly Guy

-Flame Chomp

-Burrbo

-Pokio

-Viruses

Donkey Kong
-Kritter

-Klaptrap

-Klump

-Zinger

-Tiki Buzz

-Tuck

The Legend of Zelda
-Stalfos

-Octorok

-Like Like

-Cucco

-Bokoblin

-Redead

-Darknut

-Bubble

Metroid
-Metroid

-Zebesian

-Geemer

-Reo

-FG II-Graham

-Joulion

-Zero

Yoshi
-Tap-Tap

-Grim Leecher

Kirby
-Waddle/Parasol Dee

-Tac

-Shotzo

-Bronto Burt

-Knuckle Joe

-Waddle Doo

Pokémon
-Koffing

-Gastly

-Zubat

-Skarmory

-Spinda

-Shedinja

-Kricketune

-Stunfisk

-Cryogonal

-Joltik

-Honedge

-Mimikyu

-Alolan Rattata

MOTHER/Earthbound
-Starman

-Ramblin’ Evil Mushroom

-Pigmask

Fire Emblem
-Risen

-Gargoyle

-Bael

-Faceless

-Revenant (Awakening)

Game & Watch
-Vermin

Kid Icarus
-Monoeye

-Mimicutie

-Reaper/Reapette

-Bumpety Bomb

-Souflee

-Orne

Metal Gear
-Dwarf Gecko

Sonic
-Egg Pawn

-Buzz Bomber

-Egg Robo

-Klagen

-Egg Flapper

Pikmin
-Red Bulborb

-IGB

-Swooping Snitchbug

-Burrowing Snarget

Mega Man
-Mettaur

-Sniper Joe

-Pipi

-Big Eye

PAC-MAN/NAMCO
-Ghost (PAC-MAN World 2)

-Pac-Bear

-Pooka

-Bacura

Xenoblade Chronicles
-Mechon M64

NES Retro
-Polar Bear (Ice Climber)

-Gunman (Wild Gunman)

Final Fantasy
-Tonberry

-Cactaur

-Bomb

Bayonetta
-Affinity

Splatoon
-Octotrooper

-Cohock

Castlevania
-Bone Towers

-Eagles and Flea Men

-Fishmen

-Ghouls

-Medusa Heads

Persona/SMT
-Jack Frost

Dragon Quest
-Slime

-Liquid Metal Slime

-King Slime

Banjo-Kazooie
-Buzzbombs

Other
-Ghost (Find Mii)

-Armored Demon (Find Mii)

-Sneaky Spirit (Rhythm Heaven)

-Grock (Dillon’s Rolling Western)

-Licker (Resident Evil)

-Gold Beat (Kingdom Hearts)

-Enemy Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)

-Rabbids

-Matta Ray (Ring Fit Adventure)

-Eggplant Man (Wrecking Crew)

-Mars People (Metal Slug)
Subspace Army
-Armank (Boss Battle)

-Greap (Boss Battle)

-Gamyga (Boss Battle)

-Shaydas (Boss Battle)

Super Mario
-Thwomp (Fortress Boss - Super Mario Bros. 3)

-Chargin’ Chuck (Fortress Boss - Super Mario World)

-Boom Boom (Castle Theme/Fortress Boss)

Donkey Kong
-Master Necky (Boss 2 - DK: Jungle Climber)

-Dumb Drum (Gear Getaway)

Zelda
-Guardian (Molgera)

-Yiga Assassin (Yuga Battle (Hyrule Castle))

Metroid
-Crocomire (Boss Battle 4 - Samus Returns)

Yoshi
-Roger the Potted Ghost (Yoshi’s Story (Melee))

Kirby
-Bonkers (Boss Theme Medley)

-Chef Kawasaki (Gourmet Race (64))

-Sphere Doomers (A Battle of Friends and Bonds 2)

-Mr. Frosty (Boss Theme Medley)

Star Fox
-Aparoid (Break: Through the Ice)

Pokémon
-Scizor (Gold/Silver Medley)

-Garchomp (Battle! Team Galactic)

-Chandelure (Battle! Team Flare)

-Nihilego (Battle! Gladion)

MOTHER/Eathbound
-Devil Car (Unfounded Revenge/Smashing Song of Praise)

-Ultimate Chimera (Porky’s Theme)

Fire Emblem
-Wyvern Rider (Lords-Showdown)

-Stoneborn (Crimean Army Sortie)

Kid Icarus
-Clubberskull (Overworld- Kid Icarus)

-Boom Stomper (Boss Fight 1 - Kid Icarus: Uprising)

Metal Gear Solid
-Gekko (Yell “Dead Cell”)

Sonic
-Flame Craft (Angel Island Zone)

-Egg Hammer (Sunset Heights)

Pikmin
-Burrowing Snagret (Environmental Noises)

-Peckish Aristocrab (Fragment of Hope)

Mega Man
-Guts Man (Guts Man Stage)

-Yellow Devil (X vs. Zero)

Xenoblade
-Mechon M71 (An Obstacle in Our Path)

Final Fantasy
-Malboro (Fight On!)

Bayonetta
-Inspired (Riders of the Light)

Splatoon
-Octostomp (Octoweaponry)

Castlevania
-Medusa (Starker/Wicked Child)

-Mummy (Starker/Wicked Child)

-The Creature & Flea Man (Cross Your Heart)

-Death (Dwelling of Doom)

-Werewolf (Slash)

Dragon Quest
-Golem (War Cry)

Others
-Large Body (Kingdom Hearts; Boss Battle)

-T-Rex (Fossil Fighters; Battle Start - Fossil Fighters: Frontier)

-Rabbid Kong (Boss 2 - DK: Jungle Climber)

-Boss Galaga (Boss Battle)

-Fish (Balloon Fighter; Boss Battle)

-Nemesis (Resident Evil; Nemesis Ridley)
Target Smash
Break as many targets as you can within the time limit

-Easy: 40 sec.

-Medium: 30 sec.

-Hard: 25 sec.

Crystal Smash
Destroy the crystal within 30 sec.

Defeat Them All!
Defeat every single enemy

-Easy: 10 weak enemies

-Medium: 8 okay enemies

-Hard: 3 strong enemies

Survival
Survive a swarm of endless enemies for a certain time

-Easy: Weak enemies for 30 sec.

-Medium: Okay enemies for 20 sec.

-Hard: Strong enemies (possibly even a miniboss) for 15 sec.

Doppelgänger Smash
Fight off an endless swarm off enemies against a dark copy of yourself; the challenge ends when one of you gets K.O.’d

Metal Climb
Climb upwards underwater from a giant vacuum for a certain amount of time

-Easy: 10 sec.

-Medium: 20 sec.

-Hard: 30 sec.

Board the Platforms
Jump across a series of platforms that vanish in a second

Home-Run Contest
Home-run the Sandbag a random distance

Last Challenges

Battle Dracula (2-player only)
Both players fight Dracula against each other; whoever beats him first wins the Smash Run session

Super Sudden Death (2-player only)
Both players fight on Final Destination with the camera zooming in

Assisted Mob Smash (2-player only)
Fight an endless amount of Mii Fighters with random Asisst Trophies helping either player

Miniboss Smash (2-player only)
Fight a miniboss and count your hits; the player with the most hits wins

Stock Stamina (2-player only)
Fight against your opponent on Suzaku Castle Ω with 2 lives and 120HP in 99 sec.

Big Century Smash (4-player only)
Fight 100 Mii’s on Big Battlefield; last man standing wins if not every Mii is defeated when everyone gets K.O.’d

Vs. Enemy Team (4-player only)
Fight a swarm of endless enemies for a minute on Big Battlefield

Race to the Finish (8-player only)
Race on a bigger version of Classic Mode’s Bonus Round and try to get 1st place
-Giga Bowser

-Galleom

-Queen Sectonia

-Rathalos

-Ganon

-Marx

-Grima

-Dracula (Final battle only)

Last edited:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
I remember hearing someone suggest a trivia minigame: answer questions relating to the franchises repped in Smash, by standing on the platform corresponding to the correct answer. More importantly, try to push your opponents off the answer platform that you're on!

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Smash Run: In my honest opinion I have more fun in this mode then with WoL. This mode would have been so perfect for Ultimate with all the characters and series.
Just give us more maps and enemies and you got a great mode.
Break the Targets: This mode really got treated dirty with what Sm4sh did to it. And especially don't dirty that's it not even in Ultimate. The most classic staple in the series.
Boss Rush: Kinds suprised this isnt a mode, considering how many bosses there are with the game. They could seriously make the mode and expand upon on it with updates, adding more bosses.

Khao

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, I the more I feel like the absolute healthiest thing that could happen to Smash to keep the game alive pretty much forever (from a casual point of view, that is) is something like a stage builder, but for small single player challenges. You know there's an audience for this when you see people already trying to awkwardly do it with the regular stage builder.

Reuse the technology from the standard stage builder, add a way to select victory conditions (such as break all targets, or reach an objective) and you already have an extremely solid system that allows you to create fun challenges that wouldn't ever get old. Add a few more complex features (like the ability to add CPU opponets with specific behavior, along with victory conditions relating to those opponets) and you basically end up with a fully featured event mode creator, and basically replace the need to include any of the beloved classic minigames (since the playerbase could recreate them and more.)

Pupp135

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, I the more I feel like the absolute healthiest thing that could happen to Smash to keep the game alive pretty much forever (from a casual point of view, that is) is something like a stage builder, but for small single player challenges. You know there's an audience for this when you see people already trying to awkwardly do it with the regular stage builder.

Reuse the technology from the standard stage builder, add a way to select victory conditions (such as break all targets, or reach an objective) and you already have an extremely solid system that allows you to create fun challenges that wouldn't ever get old. Add a few more complex features (like the ability to add CPU opponets with specific behavior, along with victory conditions relating to those opponets) and you basically end up with a fully featured event mode creator, and basically replace the need to include any of the beloved classic minigames (since the playerbase could recreate them and more.)
A personal Target Test/Board the Platform creator would sound like a fun idea, especially when players can share their maps.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As a few have said:

-King of the Hill, where you must occupy the target space for a certain amount of time.
-Any goal oriented sports game, where you use smash attacks to try to score (Volley Ball, Soccer, Basketball, many ideas can be used)
-Capture the Flag (for 8 players only)
-Shine King (similar to Mario Kart- hold an item for the majority of time)
-Gotta Catchem All (a game all about evading- either PvP or similar to All Stars and getting through the entire roster) throw a Pokeball and capture the opponent.

All of this available online

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I just had an idea: Boss Raids for the Spirit Board, where players can defeat bosses on the Spirit Board and earn their Spirits if they didn’t in WoL (online not needed). Boss Raids would cycle between the Light Realm bosses and the Dark Realm bosses every now and then (sometimes for Spirit Events).

Last edited:

conr1201

Smash Rookie
The game mode I want to see return the most is the Target Test, and not the Brawl version, but the Melee version where all characters have their own level. I know that is probably a bit of an ask given how many characters there are in Ultimate, but it would definitely be cool.

I would love to see Target Blast AKA the Angry Birds ripoff come back, I actually liked that mode a lot on the Wii U.

Most of all I want to see the game modes made playable online. Being able to do Smashdown online would be so sick, I have no idea why Nintendo didn't do that in the first place.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’m going to bump this thread and mention a couple more fun ideas.

Volleyball: A Melee mod by Team Akaneia added this game mode (Wolf too).
Slipspace: It was planned in Brawl, and it was supposed to be an online mode where players switch out when they are KO’ed during the middle of a match.
More customization to squad strike (including things similar to Smash Remix’s 12 character Battle and Project M’s All-Star multiplayer setting)

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
  • Online Squad Strike. Either you vs another person online or you and your friends each choose a character against your opponent and their possible squad.
  • Smash Tour re-worked to be more like the classic era of Mario Party. Also make this mode online.
  • Boss Rush mode. It already exists when you play Sephiroth in Classic mode, just make it a separate mode with online co-op.
  • Some kind of sports mode like others have mentioned. Rivals has tether ball and Melee now has volley ball so why not? Maybe something like a real Basketball mode (inspired by Smashketball stages) or a Dodgeball mode and the ball kills like Hero's Wack. If you catch the ball from your opponent they die like a Stamina mode death.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aside from what most have suggested here, add 2P and/or Very Hard Mode to WoL. Heck, maybe kill two birds with one stone and have Very Hard be 2P exclusive. Plus it would be so fitting that since Very Easy mode has a pink dot like Kirby, Very Hard would be an ominous black dot

And while not a new “mode” per se, please allow us to access debug mode for screenshots and replays or even just let us use the WoL possession/phantom clone effects for both light and dark, outside of WoL. Literally wanted that ever since Hero’s trailer... I can’t be the only one right??

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
I want to see EVERYTHING from the old games come back in either an updated version of Ultimate or another Smash Bros game-

Break The Targets

Smash Run

Board The Platforms

A Boss Rush

Event Matches

Race To The Finish As A Seperate Mode

Master/Crazy Orders

All Star Mode

Multi Man Smash

Trophy Rush From 4

All that good stuff.

Plus An Arcade Mode with neat character endings that show us what happens to a character after beating Master/Crazy Hand Or Those God Like Monsters From Ultimate

A Mario Kart Style Mode

A Bowling Style Mode Like The One in Tekken 7

A Volley Ball Mode Like That One Melee Mod

A Chess And Tetris Mode Similar To those mods in Mortal Kombat Deception

And above all else.

We need a proper story mode that's more like Injustice and Subspace Emissary

And less like whatever the heck World Of Light was.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
These things are all that Ultimate is missing imo.

Break the Targets (can even go the extra mile and make a Break the Targets maker)

Melee style Adventure Mode with branching paths. (pretty straight forward; similar in style as melee's but depending on how you complete each level you can go to completely different levels next and even face completely different final bosses at the end, keeping the standard 7 stages no matter which route you go)

Smash Run ( online capable)

Boss Rush mode

Top Bottom