• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch vs Donkey Kong

RileyReads

Smash Rookie
For whatever reason I have a hard time in this match up. What should I be doing in this MU, and where should I be taking him? I end up getting grab which almost always leads to death. I feel like I should be pick larger stages but I find small stages with GnW the best. The only time I can get in is with bacon but there must be something else I should be doing.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
I feel GnW can zone out DK pretty well. Bacon, Dtilt, and spaced out aerials stop most of DK's approaches. Bacon is just one move, but look how well Lucas' PKF and Falco/Wolf's lasers do in neutral.
RAR Bair is one of my favorite approaches I don't see being used often (even at top level).it's pretty safe on whiff / shield and leads to combos easily on hit confirms.

Work on your DI if you do happen to get grabbed. Try using UpB to escape combos if you start to get juggled

Both characters have great kill power with semi-limited recoveries. DK can't recovery vertically and GnW horizontally. This makes stage choice interesting. I'd say GHZ & FoD as well as platform stages to camp under will work very well in the MU. You'll more often did off the top / corner whereas DK will generally die off the side.

Basically stop his approaches and combo the crap outta the oversized monkey.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I feel GnW can zone out DK pretty well. Bacon, Dtilt, and spaced out aerials stop most of DK's approaches. Bacon is just one move, but look how well Lucas' PKF and Falco/Wolf's lasers do in neutral.
RAR Bair is one of my favorite approaches I don't see being used often (even at top level).it's pretty safe on whiff / shield and leads to combos easily on hit confirms.

Work on your DI if you do happen to get grabbed. Try using UpB to escape combos if you start to get juggled

Both characters have great kill power with semi-limited recoveries. DK can't recovery vertically and GnW horizontally. This makes stage choice interesting. I'd say GHZ & FoD as well as platform stages to camp under will work very well in the MU. You'll more often did off the top / corner whereas DK will generally die off the side.

Basically stop his approaches and combo the crap outta the oversized monkey.
RAR Bair is absolutely not safe unless you cross up DK (Which is pretty hard becaue it's size). 90% of the time you will get grabbed and punished really hard. Also, Dk grab is deceptively big, you need to have a very good spacing to not get grabbed (A Fair on shield IS punishable on shield with a grab if you with anything but the tip)

In the other hand, Dk is combo food, you can usualy go for 5-6 Uairs into upb-> something

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I would think DK could even Up-B out of shield to punish crossups, obviously only starting at mid%s or else its unsafe.

As far as the match-ups concerned, I'm pretty sure you can just play defensively, poke with tilts and fading Fairs and stuff, and you'll usually win if they keep trying to get aggressive. Any grab turns into a huge combo since DK gets combo'd to hell by Up Air. Just gotta space things out and you'll usually be fine.

jtm94

Smash Lord
My hardest difficulty in the MU is that his dash attack is hard for me to react to, clanks with dtilt?, and goes through bacon.

As long as you play safe from a distance he should have a very hard time coming in though.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
DKs dash attack is Ganon's warlock kick to me. Yes it's powerful, has great priority, and is relatively quick, but if you space out and stay aware of it at all times they're grounded the MU becomes easier

Last edited:
Top Bottom