• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game and Watch Q&A Thread

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Got A Question? Get It Answered!

Welcome to the new and improved Game and Watch Q&A Thread!

The focus of this thread is to answer any questions you have about our 2D hero. Anything you ask here will be answered by a G&W main who will do their best to help you.

Before you ask a question however, first check the OP here to see if it has already been answered.If it has not, the following threads may also help you:

Matchup Discussion Thread: Any matchup related questions should now be asked there as well.
Flatten The Opposition: A Game and Watch Guide: Lot's of general information there.
Hitbox and Frame Data Thread: A lot of good stuff is in here if you like specifics on moves.
Video Thread: If you are just here to ask for videos against certain characters, check here first.

Still can't find the answer? Post it here and we'll help you out!

Here are some questions we've already answered:

[collapse=How is Game and Watch in teams?]
On a professional level G&W wouldn't do well on teams, he gets knocked around if he's by himself. If you do play him on team you wanna stick with your team mate at all times..
[/collapse]
[collapse=Why is Game and Watch low tier?]
he has a terrible shield
lightweight
gets comboed easily
Capps: He also has a bad approach, cannot L-cancel all of hit aerials, has bad OOS options, and has some almost unwinnable matchups.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Is Judge effected by the timer?]
Capps: No, this is just an old rumor. You can see the mechanics for Judge in: Flatten The Opposition: A Game and Watch Guide.
[/collapse]
[collapse=At what % with a crouch cancelled Dtilt make the opponent trip?]
Double post for awesomeness

Following %'s are when the opponent is crouch canceling, after the dtilt connects

Tested in NTSC v1.0

CC'd Dtilt > pratfall (ending %'s) {to see what % to start at, a fresh dtilt does 12 %, so bowser would be 29 - 70 if you hadn't used dtilt in a long while}

Bowser 41- 82

CF 38 - 77

Doc 38 - 74

DK 40 - 76

Falco 34 - 69

Fox 33 - 68

G&W 30 - 59

Ganon 39 - 79

IC 35 - 67

Jiggs 30 - 57

Kirby 32 - 63

Link 38 - 76

Luigi 38 - 72

Mario 38 - 70

Master Hand Cannot Pratfall

Martha 35 - 68

M2 35 - 67

Ness 37 - 67

Peach 36 - 69

Pichu 29 - 57

Pika 34 - 67

Roy 35 - 69

Samus 40 - 76

Sheik 36 - 71

Yoshi 39 - 76

YL 35 - 67

Zelp 36 - 69

Hope ya enjoy this =D

Thanks also to rocket33r for CC'ing >.>
[/collapse]
[collapse=Why can't Game and Watch L-cancel some of his aerials? ]
Capps: For some reason the game treats them as Specials, this makes it so they can't be L-canceled.
[/collapse]
[collapse=I play Game and Watch in Brawl, any tips for transitioning to Melee?]
  1. Do not spam bair like you would in Brawl.
  2. Do not spam nair like you would in Brawl.
  3. Do not shield as often as you would in Brawl.
  4. Do not attempt to recover as you would in Brawl. That recovery simply does not exist.
  5. Do not attempt to "bucket break" as you would in Brawl. Bucket breaking still exists, but it will only get you killed.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
i would like to see an Q&A thread, cant hurt to know too much

You think GaW does well in teams?
on a professional level G&W wouldn't do well on teams. he gets knocked around if hes by himself.if you do play him on team you wanna stick with your team mate at all times.i did couples on teams with a roommate here a rough sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpTbGxsOTs

ill make some more recordings for teams if you like.

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
Is it possible to beat mew2king's shiek with Game and Watch?

this may come off at random, but it may be a distinct possibility for me in the future as i will be attending Florida's GENESIS (winterfest lol) in december

a lot of the big names will be there (Shiz, M2K, Mango, Scar, Chu, etc....), and im debating whether or not i should even go Mr. Game and Watch :p

Pi

Smash Hero
Is it possible to beat mew2king's shiek with Game and Watch?

this may come off at random, but it may be a distinct possibility for me in the future as i will be attending Florida's GENESIS (winterfest lol) in december

a lot of the big names will be there (Shiz, M2K, Mango, Scar, Chu, etc....), and im debating whether or not i should even go Mr. Game and Watch :p
Study his playstyle
See if you can find any predictable patterns
Look at when he grabs

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
im only slightly certain that i can beat his marth, i have a lot of marth practice

but if he goes shiek, then im pretty much done

ive seen what M2K can do to GaW : chaingrab to 70% then Fair for the kill, and the only hope i have against him is down throw chain grab, but still im scared O_o

after all, he is MEW2KING

btw Kniht are you going to the winterfest too?

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
in only slightly certain that i can beat his marth, i have a lot of marth practice

but if he goes shiek, then im pretty much done

ive seen what M2K can do to GaW : chaingrab to 70% then Fair for the kill, and the only hope i have against him is down throw chain grab, but still im scared O_o

after all, he is MEW2KING

btw Kniht are you going to the winterfest too?
shiek's chain grab on G&W works 100%,plus G&W is to low to run away.i found something interesting with G&W's neutral b.if you space yourself perfectly at the edge and neutral b while shiek teleports to the edge she touches frying pan,so you keep spiking here away from the edge.its pretty neat

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I feel like it's probably better to ledgehop a dair into a nair for the edgeguard against Sheik.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
I feel like it's probably better to ledgehop a dair into a nair for the edgeguard against Sheik.
thats true but you will most likely get fair-ed by shiek if shes recovering or if the she saves her second jump.the problem with G&W if you notice when you use a aerial with him the,the hitbox comes out after the animation.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well, obviously, you wouldn't be on the edge if they could hit you off, I mean if they could only make it with the Vanish.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Most of my stuff comes from just what's most annoying about GaW when I fight them. Having said that, make no mistake; the matchup is heavily stacked in Sheik's favour. Immensely so.

If she does anything on the ground, remember that CC D-tilt and D-tilt in general is ridiculous. GaW has an amazing D-tilt with some amazing IASA, priority, and range on it. D-tilt and dash away, D-tilt and D-tilt again... it's all good. Avoid being predictable, and avoid her calling your D-tilt with air stuff.

If she does aerial stuff, use disjointed hitboxes to space her out. Your moves are slow whereas hers are fast so you may have to predict or react very quickly to her doing so. She will try to combo needle --> grab a lot, so you may have to get inside her space VERY quickly and even predict her jumps with SH Nairs or Fairs and try to get those combos. If you cannot do these in time, get the hell away from her and get back into neutral position ASAP and begin working the spacing game. You cannot afford to be in disadvantageous position for long at all against her because she can death grab you and combo grab from a bunch of moves and do ******** combos even WITHOUT grab.

For me, it always seemed like GaW was most annoying when he was on the ground using his reasonable ground movement and ridiculous D-tilt. When he played air game, although his Fair is very good, it always seemed easy to just DD boost grab him for his aerials or shield and move away. I think his Fair is really important because of the range, but Sheik's speed and punishment seem to remove a lot of its spamming power; it's very hard to keep Fairs max-ranged while spamming them.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think recovering super super low is good for you too. Game and Watch's vertical recovery is huge, but his horizontal is lacking, so you really can't afford breaks in your momentum, or really, recover at all without your double jump.

That being said, watch out for aerial needle gimpxxors.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Most of my stuff comes from just what's most annoying about GaW when I fight them. Having said that, make no mistake; the matchup is heavily stacked in Sheik's favour. Immensely so.

If she does anything on the ground, remember that CC D-tilt and D-tilt in general is ridiculous. GaW has an amazing D-tilt with some amazing IASA, priority, and range on it. D-tilt and dash away, D-tilt and D-tilt again... it's all good. Avoid being predictable, and avoid her calling your D-tilt with air stuff.

If she does aerial stuff, use disjointed hitboxes to space her out. Your moves are slow whereas hers are fast so you may have to predict or react very quickly to her doing so. She will try to combo needle --> grab a lot, so you may have to get inside her space VERY quickly and even predict her jumps with SH Nairs or Fairs and try to get those combos. If you cannot do these in time, get the hell away from her and get back into neutral position ASAP and begin working the spacing game. You cannot afford to be in disadvantageous position for long at all against her because she can death grab you and combo grab from a bunch of moves and do ******** combos even WITHOUT grab.
thats the problem with G&W vs Shiek,spacing inside of her quickly since hes very slow.but G&W D-Tilt works very well against her on ground i do that alot.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
i plan on posting more G&W macthes later on i havnt seen any recent player playing him so ima do a lil recording session later on

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
here's a question:
Did you guys know that you can use the "kirby stock" glitch to give GaW Cpt. Falcon AND Donkey Kong stocks? O_o

Oh and ill put some videos up too if my friend is willing to record

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I don't know if you guys WANTED a Q&A thread, but f*** it, you're gunna take it and like it.

Merry christmas.

__

I have a question that I only know half of the answer to, because I only need to know half. I'm wondering if any G&W did the rest of the homework.

So Doc vs G&W. I found that the whole d.throw -> bounce or stick is due to port priority. My question is does anybody happen to know why this is not true for other characters.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I was under the impression that that kinda thing came from weight multipliers skipping over key frames. I'm not sure what your question is though =P

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I was under the impression that that kinda thing came from weight multipliers skipping over key frames. I'm not sure what your question is though =P
In Doc vs G&W.

If Doc is higher port priority, when he D.throw's G&W, G&W will bounce like always.

If G&W is higher port priority, he sticks to the ground.

This is the ONLY MATCHUP where this happens.

So in Mario vs G&W

If Mario is higher port, G&W sticks.
If G&W is higher port, G&W sticks.

Does anybody happen to know WHY it works like that?

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting...port priority for Doc causes a change to how game and watch is affected by Doc's down throw.

Well I really don't know why; I guess my friend DannyX( Doc. Main who needs to see Dogysamich for Doc tips) and I will have to experiment with this and try to think of anything that can explain this matter.

DondonSF

Smash Journeyman
me and Nocturnalist were tryin out the port priority with Doc and G&W,found out that Doc can make G&W bounce with his d-throw but its only at around 190% which makes that kinda pointless.my guess is that since he can make G&W bounce eventually,having a higher controller port allows him to do so without having to add damage.at least thats what I think

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
I don't know if you guys WANTED a Q&A thread, but f*** it, you're gunna take it and like it.

Merry christmas.

__

I have a question that I only know half of the answer to, because I only need to know half. I'm wondering if any G&W did the rest of the homework.

So Doc vs G&W. I found that the whole d.throw -> bounce or stick is due to port priority. My question is does anybody happen to know why this is not true for other characters.
thats pretty random but ight ^^ negros ftw good look out.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
i do question since G&W's Dair hits Twice but it can be shield grabed easily V_V, is that because you can grab it before the second hit?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's probably because you're not following up on it, or you're doing it too high. Dair (L-canceled) has ten frames of lag, and the shield stun from the ground hit probably just isn't enough. Plus, because of the way the move is, it puts you too close to your opponent to avoid the shield grab via spacing.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Jiggs... how do you approach her? SHFFL'd fairs she kinda just jumps out and ***** you, bair she's just annoying, I have trouble with this matchup. Tips in general for this matchup would be nice, like how to edge guard her and whatnot

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Jiggs... how do you approach her? SHFFL'd fairs she kinda just jumps out and ***** you, bair she's just annoying, I have trouble with this matchup. Tips in general for this matchup would be nice, like how to edge guard her and whatnot
you can edge guard against her with D tilt or F tilt.if shes above F smash.since shes floaty Fsmash will send her places.

Top Bottom