• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Matchup Export: Wario

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Wario

Matchup: 50:50 (0)

Basic Info:
Wario is famous for his high mobility and unpredictability. His bike gives him a fantastic recovery, and can be broken to give tires, a fantastic item. Tires give Wario a massive steroid to his ground game. Wario's waft is a very deadly killing move that can destroy stocks if used properly. Wario also is very heavy and has great DI control, allowing him to survive to very high percentages. His air game is one of the best in the game, but the range of his moves can seriously set him back in many matchups.

Videos:

Strategy:
  • Our nair is a very strong move to stop Wario in the air, it outranges his moves, and can wall him out quite easily.
  • Dtilt shuts down his ground game, unless he has tires which can really do some damage to us.
  • His half waft kills at ridiculously low percents, stay conscious of the timer, and try to keep an eye out for when he can half waft (approximately 50-200 seconds from the last waft done)
  • Killing Wario is difficult because of his great mobility, he can survive to pretty high percents as well.
  • Avoid Fsmash, Ftilt, Uair and Waft when at high percents, they are Wario's best kill moves.
  • An aerial grab release can go into a nair, a hammer, or a usmash.

Stages:
Assuming the stagelist from Unity 2.1
Strikes
1. Final Destination
2. Pokemon Stadium 1
3. Yoshi's Island
Runner-Up - Smashville

Counter Pick
*In this matchup, picking to a comfortable stage is the best option, the bans should be avoided.
In all reality, both characters benefit from each stage at equal levels, so pick your best. *

Ban
1. Final Desination
Runner-Up - Pokemon Stadium 1

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Even,

Overall Wario has a difficult time getting in. However, once in can cause havok and kill gw fairly easily.

Most of our typical cp stages Wario is better on. Personally I would take him to FD.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I was reading up on the Wario thread, they were saying that our air game shuts wario down in the air very easily. They have to rely on their ground game to safely get in. I would lean towards a +1 in this one.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Even. We can effectively keep him out for a long time, but once Wario manages to get in, he usually gets a big reward out of it.Wario is probably the hardest character to hit with our smashes as well. He is too mobile and hard to grab too. When you think he is going to fart, try to upB, this will kill Wario.
Use a lot of nair, but don't just spam it or you lose. This MU is actually simple though. Nair will take care of most things and Dtilt should shut down his groundgame. Just try to space well and keep him out. It's a weird MU.
And watch out for his clap, it's devastating.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Couldn't we just zone him out and then escape with an UpB? I feel like we have a slight advantage.

Also, AC Item Throw is **** for survival, definately learn to do that reliably.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He can punish an upB with a clap. It hurts. That's why you can't simply nair forever and upB when he gets too close.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Jump+uair. The wind of upB will take Wario with you so the clap will hit. This also can kill you at like 80%. Wario needs a really hard read though, but it's more than possible especially since upB is not a rare move.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Jump+uair. The wind of upB will take Wario with you so the clap will hit. This also can kill you at like 80%. Wario needs a really hard read though, but it's more than possible especially since upB is not a rare move.
This.

If the Wario knows what hes doing Up B sucks

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No no, it doesn't suck. UpB still destroys pretty much everything else except that.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I'm not seeing how UpB sucks. Yes, Wario can upair you after you do it, but you're still UpBing away from him, so it's not like it's guaranteed or something. He just has to read the upb and react very fast before you can throw out a hitbox to block him out.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
sorry wrote that in a hurry, I didn't mean it that Up B sucks

I worded it bad I meant that its sucks that he can punish up b, sorry. Its still good in this matchup to beat his shield pressure. Its just not as good as against other characters.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I dunno, I think Wario needs a very hard read in order to uair it well. If you can bait it you win. It's risky for both, but you have the advantage there.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I see no reason upb if he's right next to you when he doesn't really have much of an answer to bair or fair. Except that if he SDI's bair he gets a fart or maybe even upair.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Depends on what you define "right next to" as. If you have space and can get a sh nair out before he can hit you go for it. But if he is literally right on top of you up b is probably the best option.

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wario does have options against Fair and Bair. Nair is the thing he struggles with. I'd save Fair for killing, you won't be landing any smashes against a good Wario any time soon.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Well, I guess one gimmick you could do with UpB is if you time it right when he farts, you will either dodge the fart or get lucky with your invincibility frames, and the launch of the UpB + fart can get a star-KO

Of course this is insanely situational and even more unlikely to happen in tournament than an Upair kill with the draft against other characters.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's actually much more likely. It actually makes him much more careful about using his fart as it might lead into his on stock.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I dunno. I guess it's just that Wario is so mobile he can just get around it. It's hard to actually hit with the hurting part of the uair as well I think. Nair covers just so much more. Honestly uair isn't bad or good. It's just ok so I guess people don't mention it for that reason. But if Wario for some reason starts to aircamp really hard you just uair them 10 times to make everything fresh and then you can slowly get in some nairs and upBs.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Upair doesn't do anything more than refresh your moves and give Wario more time to charge the waft. You might get lucky and get him in a bad position, which is unlikely for such an aerial character, or you might get lucky with a star KO if you time your puffs right by catching him when he's jumping off the bike.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Upair doesn't do anything more than refresh your moves and give Wario more time to charge the waft. You might get lucky and get him in a bad position, which is unlikely for such an aerial character, or you might get lucky with a star KO if you time your puffs right by catching him when he's jumping off the bike.
Or the other way around.
Keeping him away long enough for the powerful waft to become the big one.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Tbh it doesn't matter. As long as he is high in the air he is not a threat and you are refreshing your moves. A fresh GW is deadly. Nair does 20% again, dair and fair become killmoves. And we are not even as afraid of the waft as many characters. We can bait it with upB to make Wario kill himself. It's really hard to do, but makes Wario think about a bit.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Out of a grab, where should we throw? He isn't juggled to easily, but the tech chase isn't to great either.

Also, what should we do with tires?

JTsm

Smash Master
Tbh it doesn't matter. As long as he is high in the air he is not a threat and you are refreshing your moves. A fresh GW is deadly. Nair does 20% again, dair and fair become killmoves. And we are not even as afraid of the waft as many characters. We can bait it with upB to make Wario kill himself. It's really hard to do, but makes Wario think about a bit.
Do you mean a fully charged waft, or both half and fully charged would kill Wario?

What would the best stages be for GW (worst?)?

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
You do crazy tire-combos and stuff. Glidetoss into smash/hammer is always worth stylepoints

Throw down, it's your safest bet. His techroll isn't that annoying.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Dthrow is pretty much your only way to land your smashes for an early kill against Wario. He is probably the hardest character to smash.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I had a lot of success on Lylat (but I always do)

I never got to try bf because he banned it.

Avoid fd, he has a much better ground game.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I was not aware of this.

Is that super-aerial-based character much better than us on the ground? (I am seriously curious)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No. Wario can't do **** to us on the ground. I think FD is the best stage for the MU.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
This matchup is even in my honest opinion. And it's super fun!

:gw: does a pretty good job of keeping Wario from getting inside. Seriously, Nair is REALLY good in this MU. Bair is also good WHEN SPACED. If you are foolish enough to throw out this move when Wario is already in your face, you WILL eat a Waft if he has one. And Waft can kill :gw: at stupid low percents. :gw: 's ground game is better than Wario's by default. However Wario's tire tricks can make up for this. Tire combos really hurt and well :gw: is super light. Like in a normal situation, :gw: wins on the ground because of his range and speed. D-Tilt goes a long way in ground vs ground scenarios. However, don't challenge Wario's F-Tilt. Angled Upwards, it's very strong as a kill move.

Wario has a lot going for him as well though. The tires really aid him in this MU and he just punishes Game and Watch really hard. If you overdo the Up-B's there is nothing stopping Wario from just punishing you with Uair. I've done it many times. I think to Tom lol. And it's happened to me. Seriously people, Up-B isn't unstoppable. It's good but if they know the mechanics of the move and have good aerials, you can be followed and punished. And Uair can kill :gw: early too. Fortunately, most of Wario's kill moves will be horizontal ones that you can bucket brake.

Also I think :gw: has a harder time killing. Like Fair and Dair are respectable but Wario lives longer. And Wario isn't exactly the easiest to nail with a smash move when he's airborne.

I think its even. GW walls better and racks up the damage better. Wario punishes and kills better. Wario also lives longer but :gw: can still kill Wario at respectable percents. Which is one of Wario's strong points in any match.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Huh, I had read somewhere that Wario does better vs GnW on the ground, so I was making an assumption. Would FD be a place we SHOULD go to? Or just somewhere we don't need to avoid?

If we beat him on the ground and can keep him out pretty well in the air, FD would seem pretty good.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I played with some of the best Warios in Europe(No, not glut) this weekend, and I had no trouble with them, whatsoever.

I don't know why, but just nair and dtilt abusing, while saying out of uair and ftilt territory just made this pretty simple.

However, these Warios had this habit of using bike on-stage(and surprisingly enough, it worked against a lot of players), which I could simply fsmash.

Uairing Wario might be better than you think. He has semi-blindspots on diagonally lower sides, so even with his superior movement, you will be able to get close enough to fair/bair/nair him(He only has two jumps, and this is considering he has used his double jump)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
If it's been around a minute and a half or so, uair stalling would be smart. If they double jump we can do what Gardex said. If they don't we can continue doing it until they either DJ or we can nair him instead of uairing a few times.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Gardex brings up some good points btw.

Also neither of them have an impressive ground game. They both have kind of similar tools, perform well on the same stages etc. But I think :gw: does a better job abusing platforms because of the range, speed and priority of his aerials. Warios dont shark as well as Game and Watches do. Wario does better in open spaces though. And on FD if you lose the lead vs Wario, you're in for a rough ride. Like seriously Wario is muchhhhh better on FD against certain characters than a lot of people think. I would stick to stages that have more platforms honestly. Platforms can really **** up Wario's vertical spacing for the reason that Gardex mentione with that blindspot. And FD supports the ability to get the bike out easier (due to size of the stage) and to utilize tires (because it's flat) which in turns gives his ground game a buff here. Which leads to my next point:

Wario's ground game does get a boost when he unleash the tire ****. He gains frame advantage whether you shield it or you it hits you directly. And with proper positioning, they are very threatening active hit boxes when they bounce; requiring you to give up space or respond to the tire. Like I said, by default :gw: has a better ground game imo. When Wario get's the tires out, it shifts over to his advantage. Neither character's advantage in this department is staggering though. Their ground games are just too lackluster as a whole to REALLY shift the MU dramatically in anyone's favor. Ground vs ground battles are not going to be that common in this MU anyway.

EDIT: Goddamit. Chi Wong you are such a stalker lmao!

Top Bottom