• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Matchup Export: Olimar

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Olimar

Matchup: 40:60 (-1)

Basic Info:
Olimar is capable of doing a lot of damage in a very short time frame. His pikmin toss, one of the best projectiles in the game, can easily add on 50% to an unprepared opponent. Olimar has one of the best grabs in the game, including pivot and dash grabs. Almost all of his attacks are disjointed as well. Olimar also has very fast and powerful smash attacks which can kill early with proper pikmin ordering. The terrain that Olimar is standing on will affect what color pikmin he will pull. Olimar's biggest downfall is his horrible recovery. Just by holding the ledge, Olimar will be able to do nothing but pray he has a purple pikmin to throw, or try and take you with him. Even without invincibility, Olimar's UpB will not grab the ledge, it will only hit the other person off of it, often stage spiking. Olimar is also floaty and can be juggled with ease. He has 2 jumps and a very small boost from his UpB, but it is rarely enough to help prevent getting gimped. His DownB has super armor frames in the air and on the ground, so that will be used as well as airdodge to try and get back to the stage safely.

Videos:
Pwii vs Denti Set 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRC8UeUNy80
Pwii vs Denti Set 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSOHNCDK2E

Strategy:
  • We can easily attack Olimar in the air. We juggle him well and we can also get early gimps.
  • Our only problem against him is approaching, once we get close to him, we can begin to work on getting him into the air.
  • Jab>Grab>Dthrow tech chase can net early gimps and/or kill him, so if you are ever up close, try to get some of those tossed into the mixture.
  • The Golden Rule of fighting Olimar is approach carefully and stay in mid range, poke until you've found an opening. Then you've got him on the ropes and in the air: PRESSURE. You CAN'T be passive and win against an Oli who knows what they're doing. Even tech chasing helps you a lot. Just stay in his grill once you've got past the "bubble". Keep the momentum and make him sweat. Pick stages that facilitate this ideology. Ban and strike stages that make this more difficult.
  • Grabbing Olimar is very powerful in this matchup. He has bad techs, so we can really **** him after one of those. We can grab, dthrow, dmash, and then gimp him off the stage. A well placed fair will ruin an Olimar recovery, but be careful when edgehogging, seeing as how his recovery can stage spike, and quite powerfully depending on which pikmin is on the end of the chain.
  • Olimar can kill very early with his usmash, so we need to be cautious when we are up close to him. It comes out very quickly and it also hits on Olimar's sides, be careful when you are close, and don't leave yourself open to this move.
  • Olimar juggles us with uair quite easily, his pivot grab is very effective in getting us into the air. His pivot grab is extremely good at getting us in the air, right where he wants us. His uair beats our dair, but we can juggle him just as well if not better with nair and uair.

Stages:
Assuming the stagelist from Unity 2.1
Strikes
1. Final Destination
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Castle Siege
Runner-Up - Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter Pick
1. Brinstar / Rainbow Cruise
Runner Up - Frigate Orpheon

Ban
1. Final Destination
2. Halberd
Runner-Up - Delfino Plaza

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Avoid FD like the plague. As an approach, bair to spotdodge should not work but for whatever reason it usually does at least once.
Stages to take him to: BRINSTAR!!!!!, RC, Frigate

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Would you say Brinstar is better than RC? I feel like Olimar would be better on Brinstar due to still being able to be on a static platform

:phone:

D

Deleted member 189823

Take him to Battlefield.
Use N-Air and F-Tilt to get rid of the Pikmin swarm.
Short-Hopped Fast Falled N-Airs should be used to approach.
Take advantage of Chef because of it's long range.

That's all I know. :x

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Brinstar is a terrible stage for Olimar. Olimar can do decent on RC, but G&W can do better. He's not good at frigate either, like Chozo said. Lylat and battlefield are decent stages against him. Olimars I know like to go to Delfino because they can get more purple pikmin. It's not a bad stage for G&W so you can let them take you there. I would try to avoid FD or Yoshi's Island.

To recap, Go: Brinstar, RC, Frigate, BF or Lylat. Avoid: FD and YI

Pretty much what you have to do in this matchup is get them in the air/offstage, and destroy them with Nairs, Uairs, Fairs, Bairs, or whatever. Once you get them in the air you should be able to get a good amount of damage, and maybe even a gimp if you get them off the edge. The hard part in this matchup is getting them in the air, or off the edge.

Approaching can be difficult as well. You'll have to approach since he has his pikmin he can throw. Nair and dtilt are good against pikmin, so I suggest using those in your approach.

If I ever end up next to him I generally jab>grab since it's the quickest thing. Dthrow is great in this matchup because you can dsmash him for either a KO or to at least get him off the edge.

And other small tips for the matchup: Watch out for his pivot grabbing, Dair goes through his Usmash, but not his Uair, dtilt is a good ledge guard, Nair will last longer than his downB's super armor ...and...yeah, that's all I got.

The matchup is a -1 for us because we have a hard time approaching him...and that's pretty much the only hard part of this matchup.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I still have not played a good Olimar, so all I know is that our dair beats his usmash, and they tend to try and hit us while we dair with it at least once, however, Oli's uair can beat our dair. That's about all I know, so I can't really help much until I play an oli main.

Oh and you can shield pikmin toss and they won't land on you.

Stage strikes 3 and 4: Pokemon Stadium, Castle Seige, Smashville.

I would say in order of strike desire: Smashville, Pokemon Stadium, Castle Seige, just because SV generally favors ground, and PS1 favors camping. IDK what CS favors though.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Olimar is incredibly good on the second transformation of CS, and the third transformation is pretty much FD.
If I had to pick a neutral to play him on, it would be SV. BF can be fine if you're ahead, but if you're not good luck getting him out from underneath a platform.
A well-timed upsmash with a yellow pikmin beats our dair.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Well, doing a dair on olimar often is a bit dangerous to me, they can just run out of the way and pivot grab.

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, you know...they're not the only ones able to move. :/

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dunno why people still think frigate is bad for Olimar.

I think they try to make people think that so that people will unknowingly take them there

it's metal so they pull more pikmin and then the transformation where both ledges are there is pretty good for him, too.

It's not that bad for him at all people just think it is because 50% of the time it can be. but the other 50% he's boosted by the stage.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I figured it out LzR, why everyone hates you. You avatar made me think you were serious at first. Haha it all makes sense now.

But I think the absense if ledge on the first transformation can help us a lot.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
My first tournament I lost to an Oli, but next time I faced him I destroyed him.

All I did was dair and dtilt. If he got close I spotdodged the predictable grab and grabbed him.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
The terrain affects the pikmin color ratio

And metal terrain (which the bottom of dephino is (grate) and the bottom of frigate is (metal)) increase his purple pull

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
There's a chart for the pikmin pull ratio on the Olimar boards.

Meow, who was the Oli that you played? Derp or Jane? Or some other Olimar I don't know about?

And Jane has expressed his distaste for Frigate before, so he either is getting us to think that it is, like you said, or he just doesn't like the stage personally.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Jane doesn't like the stage... but **** jane lol

He's wrong and doesn't know it.

olimar's never go there because they assume it's bad for them so they don't get enough practice on it. I saw lots of Olimars get taken there at Apex (stream) for example it didn't have much of an effect at all, a lot of them actually were saved by the random platforms that come out the side on stuff that should have been gauaranteed gimps =/

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I never played Jane and I don't think it was Derp (don't know him) he just goes to the playntrade tournaments by my house.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to add is that Olimar can rack damage on us pretty well, which is another reason why this matchup is -1.

G&W can still rack damage better and kill earlier than Olimar, assuming you can get passed his pikmin.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure that if they dodge or block a d-air they can punish us with u-smash. I feel like it has happened to me before.

Also, folks. Our jab and d-tilt can cancel his pikmin.

I had no idea that terrain affected pikmin generation... my mind is blown...

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Does anybody know any good GnW v Olimar videos?

Also, what are the best moves to kill pikmin in each area (such as nair for the head)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Yea, but in a best of 3/5, we are gonna go to one of their picks too, so 40:60 is probably a bit more likely.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I think we have a larger amount of stages we could destroy him on, so in a 3/5 set, we still have the advantage stage-wise.

I think you should use the new matchup junk...so -1.

Edit: In the second video of Pwii vs Denti at 3:26-ish Pwii upBs while Denti Usmashes, and looks like it makes the pikmin fly up higher. That'd be a cool doubles move...maybe a situational move, but if you teamed with an Olimar that'd kinda be cool to pull off. At least if the hitbox goes up too.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I prefer the numerical, so I am just doing both. The XX:YY numbers are more specific, while the +/- X are more standardized.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Underestimating Olimar on Frigate just because it has one ledge is dumb.

As it was mentioned before, yes Purples are more likely to be pulled on this stage. Which is never a good thing since they make this camping game that much more annoying since Purples have a buttload of priority. And of course, they kill GW obscenely early. The other reason why you shouldn't underestimate Olimar here because of the second phase of the stage. Extricating a Olimar who is camping his *** off from the that dip in the middle of the stage under the main platform is really irritating and gets him in a really good position. The first phase of the stage is obviously stronger but how Frigate flips is pretty random, so you need to be considerate of that. It's still good when you can't take him to RC or Brinstar.

For the love of God, do not take him to Delfino.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Would you say Delfino is a ban? And what about Halberd?

Maybe... It depends on the ruleset.

But yeah Delfino is hella good for Olimar. Also the stage has a wide variety of terrain for him to customize his pikmin. That's more minor though, but still kinda makes the stage "his"

Even battlefield can work against you because he can camp under the platforms pretty well =/

Top Bottom