• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Matchup Export: Fox

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Fox

Matchup: 50:50 (0)

Basic Info:
Fox is a grounded version of the GnW glass cannon. His usmash kills at very low percents and is very reliable. His lasers force approach and his high walk and run speed allow him to remain very mobile. His recovery and lack of options against juggling hold Fox back. Fox has reliable kill setups without SDI, but when factoring in good SDI, his usmash is not as easy to land for him and must remain as a punish.

Videos:

Strategy:
  • Bucketing and ducking below the lasers will make approaching less necessary in this matchup.
  • Play this matchup with baiting out moves, and try to avoid hitting his shield. His usmash OoS will add on a large amount of unwanted damage.
  • We can juggle fox very easily, uair beats shinestall, and nair beats all of his other aerials. But watch out for fast falled air dodges and his high aerial mobility.
  • Fox can juggle us well with his uair as well, and it beats out our dair.
  • Our grab destroys fox, but his grab resets and makes us approach again.
  • The bucket, though weak, is very useful. Frame 2, awesome hitbox, still decently strong. Fill it whenever he is far away.

Stages:
Assuming the stagelist from Unity 2.1
Strikes
1. Final Destination
2. Pokemon Stadium 1
3. Castle Siege
Runner-Up - Smashville

Counter Pick
1. Brinstar/RC
2. Frigate Orpheon
Runner-Up - Lylat Cruise

Ban
1. Halberd
Runner-Up - Final Destination

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This MU I have played a lot. Though it has been against a player who is a bit worse than me. For the most part I consider it even or very slight advantage for Fox. His shinestall is totally useless thanks to out uair and our aerials beat his. Watch out for uair as it can beat dair and kills very early. At 95%+ play really safe and bait Fox into usmashing you. If you don't you will automatically die.
SDI dair and fair to make the MU a lot easier as well. Edgeguarding Fox is much much harder than Falco as he can DJ fair, shinestall to catch you offguard and as a last resort his upB is quite good too if you expect a sideB.
He cannot do much at all against us from a grab while we can absolutely destroy Fox from our grab, but Foxs grabs give him a positional advantage, forcing you to approach again.
Oh and simple things to keep in mind, if you have a lead, just a crouch and make him come close to you. Unlike Falco, Fox cannot use his lasers at short range so by crouching until he gets close you can effectively limit his lasering. If he lasers you while you are offstage, feel free to bucket it, it will be weak, but it's still a frame 2 moderately powerful move with a crazy hitbox.
You must space everything really well to not get usmashes. He can JC usmash OoS which will obviously destroy any dumb bair attempts really hard. Don't do that stuff. Once you get him in the air, you can combo him pretty well as he is a fastfaller. Just remember his shinestall. If he does it, simply uair. Fox will be sent pretty high after it, resetting the juggle and refreshing your moves. Consider it win/win situation. If Fox shines, you reset it, if he doesn't, you'll hit him instead.
In this MU Fox will have a clear advantage when it comes to killing. Don't die to early usmashes if you want to win.

As for stages, avoid FD and Halberd. We like platforms a lot in this MU so it's good to have them and in Halberd Fox can run around the stage, recover from below the stage and kill us at like 80% with a simple usmash.
Other stages to be aware of would be PS1. If he can catch you against a wall, it's a stock gone with a shine infinite unless your SDI is godlike.
Oh and keep in mind his bair is really safe so don't commit to any stupid punishes. If you can, shieldgrab it or something, otherwise just wait for him to commit to something else afterwards or just upB away.

Aka evenish or their slight advantage.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I agree except I like FD in this matchup. I find it limits his landing and recovery options. Also his camping isn't really annoying and without platforms sideb is easier to predict and punish. But that's just my opinion

:phone:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I don't see what makes this matchup a disadvantage. Fox's usmash kills really early, but we kill him early as well. And we can juggle fox really easily as well. Uair messes up his shinestall, and nair beats all his aerials from below.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
The way you described it made it seem like it was in our favor, LzR.

I really don't know much about this MU except for what has already been mentioned. All I know is that you should never ever commit to another attack if your first attack got blocked and you're at high %

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Maybe it sounds like that because I can only explain it from our perspective so I mostly explained to things we have on him.
Yeah I'd say overall it's very even between us, but the fact that he will almost automatically kill you at 100% each stock puts it into his slight favor. You can't touch him at all or you get usmashed OoS.

D

Deleted member 189823

As for stages, avoid FD and Halberd. We like platforms a lot in this MU so it's good to have them and in Halberd Fox can run around the stage, recover from below the stage and kill us at like 80% with a simple usmash.
He can also kill us at that percantage in just about any stage, though.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
No need to be able to die at even lower percents.

How is Lylat Cruise in this? I would assume good because spacies and the juggling is easier.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I dunno why Lylat would basically ever make a difference in any MU. The slopes are kinda small so they don't matter that much and the platforms are average. Being able to platform cancel is nice, but it's like a lame Battlefield to me.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The platforms are small, so nair can push them off. We can also plank really well there. The angle makes campin more difficult, and landing becomes a bit more difficult due to the lower amount of places to safely land.

It also makes recovery difficult.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sure, if you are bad. This stage can also remove the ability to crouch to avoid his lasers thanks to it's tilting. It's a stage I wouldn't avoid, but it's nothing special either.

Dueler X

Smash Cadet
The few but good Foxs I've played loved to use a Dair approach, clasically following up with Utilt juggling and so on... What I loved to against it is casting Wind Jammer Lv1, that is short-hopping, then fast-falling and right before landing, Uair so only the first windbox will be triggered ; with the timing right, Fox's Dair animation is long and short-ranged enough to allow us a Usmash punish. Overall, UpB just breaks his every Dair attempts or SDI-ing sideways for aerial or even SideB punish :awesome: Same with Wario's Dair, Peach's and Lucario's one surprisingly results more often in trading hits.

Resetting Aerial Inferno as lzr said is the most fun part of the matchup, his aerial mobilty is good enough to expect counterattacks, his fastfalling airdodge can really surprise you, allowing him a Uair.

Best choices for me are Battlefield and Brinstar, Lylat is cool with its mid-elevated platforms, and free Dthrow-Dsmashes on them :awesome:

As far as his combo & counter potential, mobility and killing power are concerned, this MU is pretty even for me or maybe just a +1, although we do have early kills too and offstage superiority thanks to an outprioritizing Fair (Sour & Sweetspot 2-hit combo) against a UpB recovery and Dtilt or our own UpB against a SideB recovery (timing's tougher than Ike's gimp but the result is great, just edgehog him afterwards or go for a free sideB if he's close enough to recover onstage).

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Fox's recovery isn't the best as is, and the tilting of Lylat can really screw it up. And if the stage tilts to where crouching doesn't work, you can just jump up. (Or go to the ledge, which isn't the best idea unless you have a good lead)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
We should probably get back to this O.O

How if fox at juggling us? Does his uair beat our dair?

Obviously don't touch is shield from the front after 90% or so.

And what are your thoughts on bucketing the lasers? I mean yeah it gives a frame 1 20 damage move, but we also lose the bucket braking ability while its charged, so we can die even easier than normal.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Lol my phone autocorrected filling to killing.

Would the damage we take due to the lag make it worth it?

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Considering Fox will shoot at least about 3 shots, and G&W is invincible during the absorb, I don't think you'll take much damage.(Full bucket also has way less lag than a single or double absorb, so it's pretty safe at a distance)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't think it's worth the trouble absorbing the lasers most of the time, but in this MU it doesn't really hurt that much. But if the Fox reads it he can shoot a single laser -> sideB -> you are now in the air above Fox which is kinda bad

Top Bottom