• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch match-up

totesmagotes

Smash Cadet
Has anyone ever ran into this match-up? Whenever I run into game & Watch on netplay, I get wrecked. I know he's a low-tier character, but I have no idea how to approach him, and it really messes me up that I can't see the moves come out. Everything looks like a 1-frame animation. At least with Fox, I know what to expect. Luckily, not a lot of people play him. I think I just keep running into the same player actually. Still, I'd like to know how to beat this low-tier. any advice?

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Has anyone ever ran into this match-up? Whenever I run into game & Watch on netplay, I get wrecked. I know he's a low-tier character, but I have no idea how to approach him, and it really messes me up that I can't see the moves come out. Everything looks like a 1-frame animation. At least with Fox, I know what to expect. Luckily, not a lot of people play him. I think I just keep running into the same player actually. Still, I'd like to know how to beat this low-tier. any advice?
qerb comes to my locals. my general tips are bair a lot, turnip a lot, dont be above him, dont shielddrop into his utilt (like i always seem to do). oh and dont get grabbed, always ends badly for her

he says g/w will try to space everything against grounded peach to not get cced, and will jab/pan/fair turnips to avoid being cornered. g/w's retreating fairs or wd back fairs are good in the matchup. also he likes to force her to recover low or bait an airdodge by jumping out with nair/fair

here is a set of him vs mafia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aav_rsqqXI

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Spam shield against G&W. Dthrow nair is scary but it doesn't matter that much if it's not going to kill you. G&W isn't going to run up an grab you unexpectedly like Fox, Falcon, Marth, Sheik, or Pikachu, and he's not going to SH laser pressure you like Falco. He runs/dashes exactly as fast as Mario/Doc so you can use that for intuitive comparison of where it's safe to shield. When you shield, G&W has no approach options. Spaced fair isn't bad, but dashes and wavedashes into reactive shields can mess up his spacings a lot. His fair is maximally -3 on shield but that's only if he hella delays hit. It will likely be shield-grabbable every time. Once he doesn't want to approach, pull turnips. Threaten that you can pull turnips, but then don't. See how he reacts to you pulling turnips and how he reacts to the spacing at which you pull turnips. He is faster than you so it is hard to catch him or corner him. You can't just run at him. Take it slow and make incremental neutral advantages. This is not to say play slow and campy, but don't try to over extend yourself. At the end of the day, low tiers' tools suck and they can't compete with "lame" play. Respect his fair, dtilt, and dair.

If we knew what exactly was giving you trouble, it would be easier to give advice.

Top Bottom