• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Approach Options

BEEP B00P

Smash Rookie
I've been playing with good ol' Mr. Game and Watch Me Destroy Everything You Hold Dear for some years now, and I was wondering what do y'all recommend for approach options against, say, a Marth on a 2 week camping trip.

D

Deleted member

Wavedashing, son. G&W has a rather decent wavedash, and he can act out of it by using either dtilt or jab. Considering his jab is one of the best in the game, it's worth using just for the keks to see your opponent writhing in it for so long. Bair and nair are rather useful for approaching in general, but it's always important to l-cancel them so there's less chance of your opponent punishing you.

If your opponent is camping, foxtrot or wavedash near their vicinity, and fire a few shots from Chef. It'll force them to approach, and then they're in your playzone. I'm not a super duper good G&W main, but I just really like playing the character as well and I hope it helps somewhat. If not... there's more experienced peeps here, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Baiting and punishing always works, as well as Chef pressure. At low levels of play you can get away with throwing out forward airs and get punishes out of that, but don't rely it on it whatsoever because it's easily countered at all other levels.

Oscarguydude

Smash Rookie
I like to approach with a Dtilt at low percents. At about 45%+, I usually approach with a Fair. If you want to get risky and approach with something fast and unpredictable, you could use the forward momentum of a dash and short hop double bacon on their shield. A reason why I think this is a decent approach is because you can act almost instantly out of chief once you hit the ground, thus you could maybe input a dtilt or wavedash back. Also, if your opponent gets hit with the actual pan it does some pretty good knockback. Other than that you could space out a shield-spammy opponent with bair on shield. It goes a long range and it's a multihit move, so it's somewhat safe. Usually a good G&W must have a decent neutral game, as G&W has some of the most terrible horizontal mobility except for his DACUS and wavedash. Dash dancing and chiefing below a platform is some good ways to apply some pressure in neutral.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Been a while but I wanted to add to this.

Nothing GnW has is safe on shield aside from perfect nair and near perfect to perfect panslam. You need to respect shield and always try to go for a shield crossup when the opportunity presents itself. Fair is a terible move in neutral unless you are trying to hit an opponent out of movement or beat them out. I don't think GnW should really be approaching with anything besides spaced back air and instead should be forcing the opponent to come to him with distanced bacon pressure.

CtrlC

Smash Rookie
Personally, I try to mix up my neutral game between dashdancing, dashing in and immediately wavedashing back, and jumping in and waveladning back. The last two options are really good baits and jump in > wavedash back can condition people to chase after you, which is easily punished with either jab or dtilt.

Top Bottom