• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Future SSB Ultimate Competitive Scene

Bleudreams

Smash Rookie
Greetings Smasher Peeps!

Tomorrow night I plan on picking up my copy of Ultimate and I could not be more excited.

Moving forward, I plan on spending a healthy amount of my free time developing myself as a smash player. Specifically in SSB Ultimate. I hope to someday be a tournament player.

I recently watched the documentary titled "The Smash Brothers Documentary" on youtube.

It is very good if you haven't seen it.

I was very enchanted by the competitive scene of the early 00s melee community.

Do you envision SSB Ultimate having a rich competitive scene?

Why or why not?

Will SSB Ultimate make for as good of a tournament game as Melee?

Bleudreams

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It'll be as good as we make it.

We could make a competitive scene out of UNO if we tried.

-Ran

Smash Master
Basically, the Smash 4 infrastructure and scene is going to be moving directly into Smash Ultimate. The game will be more popular than Smash 4 due to the huge install base of the Switch. The Wii U sold ~13.56 million consoles, with ~5.35 million copies being sold of Smash 4 on the console. I discount the 3ds version, since looking at a competitive scene most players that would be planning on being competitive would have gone the console route. In not even year two of the Switch's life, we are currently sitting over 22 million during the end of September. I have very little doubt that the number will finish at 30 million before the end of the holiday season.

With all of that said, Ultimate is going to have the casual player base to be relevant for a long time. The question is, can tournaments coax these players out to events, or to support top players?

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Basically, the Smash 4 infrastructure and scene is going to be moving directly into Smash Ultimate. The game will be more popular than Smash 4 due to the huge install base of the Switch. The Wii U sold ~13.56 million consoles, with ~5.35 million copies being sold of Smash 4 on the console. I discount the 3ds version, since looking at a competitive scene most players that would be planning on being competitive would have gone the console route. In not even year two of the Switch's life, we are currently sitting over 22 million during the end of September. I have very little doubt that the number will finish at 30 million before the end of the holiday season.

With all of that said, Ultimate is going to have the casual player base to be relevant for a long time. The question is, can tournaments coax these players out to events, or to support top players?
The thing to remember as well is that unlike Melee, Smash 4's meta was entirely dependent on how long Sakurai and Nintendo supported it post-launch. Many changes made to later versions of the game did actually try to shift the meta for the better such as the removal of vectoring and the changes made to shields, as well as nerfing combos that were starting to become too repetitive such as Diddy's Hoo-Hah. But Nintendo dropped all support for the game in 2016, at a time when it felt like Smash 4 was just getting started. Which led to the meta stagnating and causing many pro players, including ZeRo and Anti to gradually grow dissatisfied. This is why Ultimate is arriving at such a perfect time. Not only is it on a much more popular and well received platform as you mentioned, but in a lot of ways, Ultimate picks up where Smash 4 left off, addressing nearly every mechanical complaint pro players had with Smash 4 for the past 2 years, while also retaining all of its good aspects as well. It didn't matter if Ultimate was a port or not, just the thought of Smash coming to Switch was enough for the community to egerly await the announcement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom