• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Future of F-Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't worry people. If Captain Falcon cannot appear in future F-Zero games, there might still be hope for him as the absolute final boss in the Fire Emblem series.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Here's my gameplay changing idea:

The ability to phase through the track and ride on the other side of the track.

Yeah think about all the possibilities that could open up! Players can switch between two sides of the same course. Or if they are racing on a giant tube they can phase inside it and start racing in the tube. Players will be challenged to memorize two sides of the map, switch between them when things get tough.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Miyamoto doesnt have any ideas for a new F-Zero yet he has no problem pulling Mario Kart games out his butthole and cramming more gimmicky bull**** into them
Hey, here is a thought that some people may not have considered about Miyamoto. Imagine you are responsible for most of Nintendo's heavy hitters; throughout their history you come up with idea after idea in order to avoid your game series to become stagnated, and with soooo many years of work you eventually dry up that you need some time to get yourself together, after all you are only human.
What's that? You thought Miyamoto wasn't human? Well, don't we learn something new every day, do we? So excuse me if you expected the guy to be a robotic fountain of endless ideas. After pouring mechanics and gimmicks into a racing game like Mario Kart he probably was clueless at the moment to what to do with F-Zero. Did I mentioned that he is currently working on three projects at the same time, one of them being a new Star Fox? So yeah, forgive the guy for not being focused on an F-Zero for your Majesty's pleasure.
I hope you learn about that before pulling bull**** out of your butthole and writing it on paper next time.

/rant ended.

As for the topic at hand, we'll see what Miyamoto has to say one he has finished in some of his current projects. Sakurai taking the reins of the series wouldn't be a bad idea though (and then people will cry F-Zero bias on the next Smash).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'd like to see a new F-Zero, I just recently finished F-Zero GX with everything, every character movie, story very hard and every staff ghost unlocked (I haven't beaten them though, they're too hard, worse than the story mode very hard).
No snaking, I hate it.

I think that having many pilots isn't necessary. I'd be fine with 30 pilots. Even a reboot would be great to me, with all new characters, kinda like what they did with Maxium Velocity (using "100 years after" as excuse, maybe).
But it would also be nice having Captain Falcon back, for a potential story mode.

About the story mode, it should be an adventure sub-game, where you can drive in the city and talk to npcs, fight with falconpunches and doing several missions. In the adventure mode, everything should be related to a grand prix like in the Story Mode of GX and GP Legend, and maybe during the gameplay you can also decide to do some races in order to gain moneys.

The classic mode should also be in the game, and the single race mode would be nice. F-Zero test was something entertaining also, but it's a bit too much copied from Gran Turismo I think... but I would like if they put it in again.

The difficulty level should be decent, but not as hard as GX, that game is tedious!

Track environments:
In F-Zero GX most tracks were at the land level and some of them were indoor. That's not very good for F-Zero I think, it makes the game more similar to any other generic futuristic racing game. I think one of the iconic things of F-Zero was how the tracks were all placed in the sky and gigantic buildings/objects were surrounding them; also, tracks like Mute City and Port Town make it looking like the cities are structured in different layers: in the lower layers there are abitations and normal streets, while in the layers above, there are highways, and F-Zero tracks - this concept should be preserved and even expanded to me.

Track design:
F-Zero GX and X's track design was a bit bland to me. Those games featured very high speeds and the tracks were made so that the player were able to run at 1000+Km/h for most of the time. Too much linear. I enjoyed the tracks of F-Zero GP Legend a lot more, and speaking of GX, my favorite track was Aeropolis/Multiplex, because it featured a classic design without sacrifying the speed. I like the tracks were you actually drive, not the ones where all you have to do is just balancing your car in order to not lose control of it, and go straight.

I don't really care for the online gameplay because of the lag, but yeah, online racing is a must.

Sneaking is s**t, nerdy tricks to go faster are always bad, on the same level of glitches and cheats; they put away all the fun and make the game frustrating. (Mario Kart is not different, that's why I stopped buying MK games a while ago).
Controls should be less reactive than GX (cars were way too hard to control) and they should definitely be simpler than the GX ones (GP Legend has the best controls - accelerate, boost, L and R to drift/attack, L+R to brake - in my opinion the rotating attack is not needed, especially in GX, it just makes you lose positions), they should bring back the control of the car when floating (in GX it was there but it was glitchy and not very good) and the boost fire from GP Legend (maybe a bit less effective).
Pipes and track gimmicks are fine, as long as they don't take the whole track.
Tracks shouldn't be too long (like some of the AX tracks).

The cars are overcrafts, they should slide on the tracks like in the old F-Zero games. In X and GX they had too much grip, they were too precise to drive. In the classic styled games the cars are harder to handle and this make the driving more interesting.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Smash Brothers alone, without a single penny spent on promotion would shoot F Zero sales through the roof! I do believe this also was the case with Fire Emblem. Even if they released an Ice Climbers game, I'm sure it would receive disproportionate attention!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I also feel the series needs to be a little more lenient. Yes I know F-Zero is famous for being insanely hard and I like that too. However, in order to boost sales you need a game that more people will be able to play. The difficulty makes F-Zero a niche.

Another idea is to have the characters talk to each other. F-Zero has an incredible cast of cool characters... who we never get to see outside their ship. So I propose the Star Fox solution. Racers on the track will often talk to one another. Hating on their rivals, commenting on the difficulty of the course, bragging about how good they are. These would make the racing experience a more personal one with the characters.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I also feel the series needs to be a little more lenient. Yes I know F-Zero is famous for being insanely hard and I like that too. However, in order to boost sales you need a game that more people will be able to play. The difficulty makes F-Zero a niche.

Another idea is to have the characters talk to each other. F-Zero has an incredible cast of cool characters... who we never get to see outside their ship. So I propose the Star Fox solution. Racers on the track will often talk to one another. Hating on their rivals, commenting on the difficulty of the course, bragging about how good they are. These would make the racing experience a more personal one with the characters.
That's an excelent idea! Imagine if Black Shadow is just in front of you and he is trying to hit you with some attacks, meanwhile he says "I won't let you surpass me! I will win the Grand Prix!!!!" or when you are playing as Black Shadow, other racers say things like "Please don't hurt me, I'll let you pass ok?" with a scared voice.
It would make the game a lot deeper. Some anime about racing already features this kind of concept, in fact people are talking from car to car even if it wouldn't make sense in the real world, unless you have some radio communication system that allows you to contact the cars near you (in F-Zero this is possible, it's a futuristic game).

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Well, I for one, would love a new F-Zero game. Way I see it, Miyamoto doesn't have to be apart of it. The only thing he probably did with Mario Kart 8 was over see, a.k.a, check up on it once in a while. Other wise the Director was Kosuke Yabuki and the Producer was Hideki Konno. Even the Legend of Zelda series changed hands since Ocarina of Time so it's not like Miyamoto doesn't trust others with franchises he started.

I know this might sound
blasphemous be hear me out. What if Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Europe started game production? Obviously NoJ has got its handful with console development and major franchises like Mario and Legend of Zelda. I guess Pikmin and Starfox to a less extent but I never understood why the could let their European or North American branches do more than localization and advertisement. Think about it: Most of us can agree that the Metriod Prime Series is a classic and that was made by Retro in Texas so obviously Nintendo can trust non Japanese developers to make great games. Retro has even helped with Mario Kart 7, DK Returns and DK Tropical Freeze.

So yeah, give the F-Zero franchise to Retro or let Nintendo of America develop it. I guess the safer bet would be with Retro Studios but damn we need a new F-Zero game already.

iamgenderqueer

Smash Cadet
Hey, here is a thought that some people may not have considered about Miyamoto. Imagine you are responsible for most of Nintendo's heavy hitters; throughout their history you come up with idea after idea in order to avoid your game series to become stagnated, and with soooo many years of work you eventually dry up that you need some time to get yourself together, after all you are only human.
What's that? You thought Miyamoto wasn't human? Well, don't we learn something new every day, do we? So excuse me if you expected the guy to be a robotic fountain of endless ideas. After pouring mechanics and gimmicks into a racing game like Mario Kart he probably was clueless at the moment to what to do with F-Zero. Did I mentioned that he is currently working on three projects at the same time, one of them being a new Star Fox? So yeah, forgive the guy for not being focused on an F-Zero for your Majesty's pleasure.
I hope you learn about that before pulling bull**** out of your butthole and writing it on paper next time.

/rant ended.

As for the topic at hand, we'll see what Miyamoto has to say one he has finished in some of his current projects. Sakurai taking the reins of the series wouldn't be a bad idea though (and then people will cry F-Zero bias on the next Smash).
yeah, because it makes total sense to make Mario game after Mario game, with more gimmicky **** thrown in each release, meanwhile F-Zero, a game that not only doesn't need gimmicks thrown into it, but is also of one of the simplest game genres lays in stasis for nearly a decade

yeah, there's totally a 100% legitimate reason for that

please get your head out of your ass before you try to make excuses lol

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace

/rant ended.

No hardcore F Zero fan is expecting miyamoto to be a "robotic fountain of endless ideas", they just want a new F Zero game with online to expand upon what made F Zero fans love the series to begin with. Graphics, speed and control are what fundamentally hold F Zero together as an enjoyable game, they could keep the characters the same and just spit out some new tracks to make a successful new game for its fans.

We didn't want/need/ask for gimmicks to be added in like mario kart and co are getting these days, just an honest follow up to the past games like GX which left their print on players due to how simple yet complicated it was all at the same time due to how the game didn't hold your hand while you played it. It was a rewarding game to play and finally beat, something a nintendo game has not made me feel since GX itself.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No hardcore F Zero fan is expecting miyamoto to be a "robotic fountain of endless ideas", they just want a new F Zero game with online to expand upon what made F Zero fans love the series to begin with. Graphics, speed and control are what fundamentally hold F Zero together as an enjoyable game, they could keep the characters the same and just spit out some new tracks to make a successful new game for its fans.

We didn't want/need/ask for gimmicks to be added in like mario kart and co are getting these days, just an honest follow up to the past games like GX which left their print on players due to how simple yet complicated it was all at the same time due to how the game didn't hold your hand while you played it. It was a rewarding game to play and finally beat, something a nintendo game has not made me feel since GX itself.
True, never said it needs those things, although I was addressing more the issue of adopting a demanding, bratty attitude like the little fella above was doing.
For the game, it may be a simple formula but at the same time you have to keep it interesting. And when a guy like Miyamoto produces dozens of games over the years, you gotta cut him some slack for running dry once in a while; specially now that he is juggling three projects at once. In fact, it would be cool if someone like Sakurai took charge of this later on.

yeah, because it makes total sense to make Mario game after Mario game, with more gimmicky **** thrown in each release, meanwhile F-Zero, a game that not only doesn't need gimmicks thrown into it, but is also of one of the simplest game genres lays in stasis for nearly a decade

yeah, there's totally a 100% legitimate reason for that

please get your head out of your *** before you try to make excuses lol
Is not about making "excuses", it's about using your head once in a while and not acting like an entitled tool demanding a game from someone who is charge of a majority of projects at Nintendo.
Is not difficult to do (or not do) but I'm not expecting you to get any better though.

Last edited:

iamgenderqueer

Smash Cadet
Is not about making "excuses", it's about using your head once in a while and not acting like an entitled tool demanding a game from someone who is charge of a majority of projects at Nintendo.
Not expecting you to get any better though.
Barely anything you're saying makes any sense though and you borderline contradict yourself.
What's this nonsense about "running dry"? That problem never kept a Mario game from being released, so why shouldn't I take the excuses for other games being neglected with a grain of salt?

Demanding? I guess strongly disagreeing with the reasons why anything that isn't Mario or Legend of Zelda lays idle for years and years, while just posting ideas to improve it (not saying they'd HAVE to implement them either, but just making fan-made suggestions) is the equivalent of constantly sending letters to nintendo and TELLING them what to do. Yeah, everyone that wants a new F-Zero game and sees little to no reason why there can't be a new one is an "entitled little brat", I guess and should only be satisfied with the same few titles we've seen being milked for the past decade.

Looks like the only reason you posted was for some half-assed attempt at playing devil's advocate. That or you just want some stupid forum debate because you're bored. Either way, I disagree with you, but I guess leaving someone else's opinion alone is too much for you.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Barely anything you're saying makes any sense though and you borderline contradict yourself.
What's this nonsense about "running dry"? That problem never kept a Mario game from being released, so why shouldn't I take the excuses for other games being neglected with a grain of salt?

Demanding? I guess strongly disagreeing with the reasons why anything that isn't Mario or Legend of Zelda lays idle for years and years, while just posting ideas to improve it (not saying they'd HAVE to implement them either, but just making fan-made suggestions) is the equivalent of constantly sending letters to nintendo and TELLING them what to do. Yeah, everyone that wants a new F-Zero game and sees little to no reason why there can't be a new one is an "entitled little brat", I guess and should only be satisfied with the same few titles we've seen being milked for the past decade.

Looks like the only reason you posted was for some half-***** attempt at playing devil's advocate. That or you just want some stupid forum debate because you're bored. Either way, I disagree with you, but I guess leaving someone else's opinion alone is too much for you.
Devil's advocate? I guess the point evaded you...like half a continent away. I wasn't even talking about the ideas suggested about F-Zero and that saying them is equivalent to being an "entitled brat", but it's pointless for me to continue on this discussion.

iamgenderqueer

Smash Cadet
Devil's advocate? I guess the point evaded you...like half a continent away. I wasn't even talking about the ideas suggested about F-Zero and that saying them is equivalent to being an "entitled brat", but it's pointless for me to continue on this discussion.
Your logic is about as bad as your English so yeah, it would be pointless.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
The reason Mario gets sequels regardless of lack of ideas is because "Mario Watches Paint Dry" would probably sell ~5 million units, whereas F-Zero probably wouldn't (or maybe it would - Captain Falcon's brand power is a lot better than it was when GX launched). It would easily sell enough to be profitable as a HD/3D remake, or even as a new 3DS game, and possibly even a Wii U game, but maybe that's not the issue here.

I struggle to finish SMB with more than a life or 2 to spare, I finished NSMB2 with about 90 to spare.
I've died a few times so far in ALttP (2nd maiden rescued), but only 1-2 times in the entirety of ALBW.
In fact Starfox Command is the only last/current gen Nintendo game I find more challenging than its predecessors (and that has more to do with the controls than anything else.) Obviously there are plenty that I haven't played, but it seems a common enough complaint.

Maybe Nintendo won't make a new F-Zero because they know it would end up casualized, that most casuals wouldn't buy it anyway, and most F-Zero fans wouldn't like it. (See Climax, GP Legend)

iamgenderqueer

Smash Cadet
F-Zero GP Legend and F-Zero Climax not being liked among F-Zero fans was a given due to them being GBA titles, same goes for Maximum Velocity.

it's just not the same experience F-Zero X and F-Zero GX gave.

Re-do those games completely with the same exact cast, but put it on consoles and give it a similar feel to F-Zero X and F-Zero GX (3D environments with racetracks that curve like rollercoaster rides) and i guarantee they'd be liked a lot more.

Last edited:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
The tracks are core to it's success, but I really hope the next F-Zero has an open-world story with character development for all drivers.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
My two cents as a long-time fan of the series: GX was a really unsuccessful game in the eyes of everyone except the purists. It didn't sell that well and it is brutally challenging. While that's more of a bonus than anything to people like myself, it really put a lot of people off, and that's why we haven't seen a new game since. However, with Nintendo looking to jump back into series' like Metroid and Star Fox, and their focus on the core audience, at least on the record, seems to me like good news for a possible new game.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I think one reason GX sold so poorly was lack of advertising. I don't recall ever seeing a single TV or print ad for it.

Last edited:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I think one reason GX sold so poorly was lack of advertising. I don't recall ever seeing a single TV or print ad for it.
This. In fact I remember very little GCN adds in general, which, combined with the low install base, and launching close to MK (one of the few thing that did gets adds) killed F-Zero. The attempted Resurrection by spamming 3 GBA games just put more nails in the coffin. F-Zero should never skip a Nintendo console, but at the same time it should never make multiple appearances on the one.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Maybe Nintendo won't make a new F-Zero because they know it would end up casualized, that most casuals wouldn't buy it anyway, and most F-Zero fans wouldn't like it. (See Climax, GP Legend)
I agree with you on Climax, but not on GP Legend. GP Legend wasn't "casualized", was a mix of the original F-Zero and X (side attack, acceleration/speed balance, characters, etc.). It's not even that easy. If you try to get gold cups in each test of the Zero Test, the level of difficulty is similar to the one of F-Zero GX.
The problem with F-Zero GX is that it doesn't even try to introduce new players into the game, because even at the easiest difficulty it's pretty brutal, while GP Legend has a nice start with hard challenges later - overall a better difficulty curve.

I personally loved all the F-Zero games ever made (except for Maximum Velocity, a failed reboot, and Climax, that's just "the game of the anime"), and I think that GP Legend is the most fun.

My only problem with GP Legend is that they used anime as art style. the F-Zero series is based on occidental comics, drawing it in an anime style is a bit out of place... but I can see why they did it (an F-Zero anime was in production and Rick Wheeler was part of it).
I love animes, but F-Zero's iconic style is not anime.

Last edited:

SLEEPING MAN

Smash Rookie
I would be upset if anyone but the original thirty + Deathborn were in the next one (and by that meaning playing any serious role). The other characters I see are all filler and non-canon (even though they probably are, I just refuse to acknowledge them).

The new guys are unnecessary, I can't be the only one that thinks the new characters are just bland and uninteresting. The thirty original racers have more background, are all cool, and all have potential for background exploration.

Also, the anime != real F-zero, imo.

Last edited:

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
After playing Kirby Air Ride again, I think that Sakurai could make a pretty great F-Zero. Amp up the speed, downplay the gliding, find a way to add Cap's fire powers, and for the love of god, get a better track designer. A few other adjustments here and there and then you're all set for some awesome high-octane racing action that reinvigorates the F-Zero franchise and possibly even satisfies everyone who wants a new Kirby Air Ride. That's my ideal future for F-Zero.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Guys, which do you think has more brand recognition? Captain Falcon's name or F-Zero? Do you think it would be wise to name the next F-Zero game after Captain Falcon himself? This way it would attract people who only know Captain Falcon from the Smash Bros games. The only problem I can think of is if people go into the game expecting it to be a completely different game than a racer.

So my thought is: a single-player game with both on-foot and racer missions where you actually play as a bounty hunter doing bounty hunter stuff. Meanwhile, the multi-player component will still be exactly the same formula as previous F-Zeros (with online and maybe custom track maker as a bonus)

D

Deleted member

There was this commercial but nobody talks about it

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I would be upset if anyone but the original thirty + Deathborn were in the next one (and by that meaning playing any serious role). The new guys are unnecessary, I can't be the only one that thinks the new characters are just bland and uninteresting. The thirty original racers have more background, are all cool, and all have potential for background exploration.

Also, the anime != real F-zero, imo.
Everything I underlined in your quote is where we agree to disagree. Phoenix & his Rainbow Phoenix would like a word with you on that. . .

No seriously, Phoenix is a space detective from the future, who came into the past to stop a criminal where it was currently all the 30 pilots + Deathborn including the other AX pilots. If you find Phoenix & bland, uninteresting & unnecessary, then I disagree with you automatically. Fans liked calling him the "Future Falcon", even if that's arbitrary, he is a futuristic pilot in a already futuristic racing game genre, who has a Time Machine built like an F-Zero Machine, you're insayian.
  • Fun fact Don Genie was on AX in 2003, returning to appear in the anime 2004. So he was a video game character first before being shown in the anime.
Everything else not underlined I was content with reading. I think they should include the F-Zero Falcon Densetsu anime characters in the next F-Zero game, it would add more pilots replacing the AX pilots if that was the move to be done.
There was this commercial but nobody talks about it

That's awesome! I wouldn't of needed to watch this commercial, but the intensity & sweat sums it all up!:laugh:
Guys, which do you think has more brand recognition? Captain Falcon's name or F-Zero? Do you think it would be wise to name the next F-Zero game after Captain Falcon himself? This way it would attract people who only know Captain Falcon from the Smash Bros games. The only problem I can think of is if people go into the game expecting it to be a completely different game than a racer.

So my thought is: a single-player game with both on-foot and racer missions where you actually play as a bounty hunter doing bounty hunter stuff. Meanwhile, the multi-player component will still be exactly the same formula as previous F-Zeros (with online and maybe custom track maker as a bonus)
Sadly Captain Falcon would seem to have more name value. Smash Bros. is fairly known by many & people like me at a very early age didn't know of F-Zero until playing Falcon in Smash 64. I wanna say F-Zero having more brand recognition because, well it's a series name of a video game, but by the majority it would most likely be Captain Falcon. I have a mixed opinion if the next F-Zero's game were to be named solely after the bounty hunter himself, but it would surely attract people more, with the same result you said.

As a bounty hunter that steps it up with F-Zero races for bounty money, I like an open-world game where you run around as Falcon around the numerous worlds especially Mute City & Aeropolis catching criminals & winning Grand Prix's. For once I'd like an all Mute City Grand Prix full of the races from that world only, rather than cross-world races that all tie together in one cup, such as what GX did.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I feel like they have tons of options making the game "new" like online, more customization maybe a more compelling and long story.

Even just a redone GX would be nice if they dont wanna make a full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom