• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fun Bayonetta Match-ups

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta seems like a fun character to play as, but it seems weird to have her opponents be relatively equal in size to her, and not huge, horrible, disfigured monstrosities. Nobody on the roster seems like a fair match for her— she’d beat all of them up easily. The opponents in her game who were about her size (and not just throwaway baddies) were also ridiculously more powerful than anyone else on the roster. And I can’t bring onslaughts of like Zero Suit Samuses or something like that because the max number of opponents in Smash is 7 (and you can’t have folks come out in waves.)

Again, she seems fun to play as, but I don’t know any fun matchups for who she should fight against. :( Any ideas? Kid Icarus angels are just not the same as Bayonetta angels. :/

(I might try an onslaught of Zero Suit Samuses, though, and see how that goes.)

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
You're acting like Palutena and Shulk wouldn't stand a chance against Bayonetta.
They could both kick her *** really.
Literally punches the soul of a world creator all the way across the solar system into the sun
Being scared of a minor goddess who's biggest feat is creating a black hole, or a boy with a magic sword

Pick one and only one
------------------------------------------------------
The only characters that are may be threats would be Cloud, Castlevania boys, or Ganondorf. And even then I think at best you're looking at 70/30 in Bayo's favor.

Last edited:

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
I assume you're mostly talking lore, in which case there may be a few that haven't already been mentioned:
  • Rosalina, as she's the goddess of the Mario universe on at least the same level as Palutena. (it's basically stated that she recreated the entire universe at the end of Mario Galaxy)
  • Kirby, as he's similarly defeated powerful and semi-grotesque gods without much trouble, if not to quite the same degree (half joking with this one; I doubt a pink marshmallow sounds like a worthy opponent).
  • Any version of Link (or any Zelda series character, really), since Hyrule Warriors exists (again, probably doesn't sound too impressive by comparison to what Bayonetta can do).
Of course, you've got memes like Captain Falcon and Pichu, but they're just memes and probably wouldn't stand a chance in a serious battle.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I assume you're mostly talking lore, in which case there may be a few that haven't already been mentioned:
  • Rosalina, as she's the goddess of the Mario universe on at least the same level as Palutena.
    (it's basically stated that she recreated the entire universe at the end of Mario Galaxy)
  • Kirby, as he's similarly defeated powerful and semi-grotesque gods without much trouble, if not to quite the same degree (half joking with this one; I doubt a pink marshmallow sounds like a worthy opponent).
  • Any version of Link (or any Zelda series character, really), since Hyrule Warriors exists (again, probably doesn't sound too impressive by comparison to what Bayonetta can do).
Of course, you've got memes like Captain Falcon and Pichu, but they're just memes and probably wouldn't stand a chance in a serious battle.
Man, the Rosalina universe thing is such a trump card for such a (canonically) weak character. I do still think Bayo could make short work of Rosa though. Link could maaaaybe do something, but it'd probably be all plot armor. I guess I never realized how OP Bayo is.

At this point I'm not even sure if this is what OP is asking, but I'm having fun.

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
Man, the Rosalina universe thing is such a trump card for such a (canonically) weak character. I do still think Bayo could make short work of Rosa though. Link could maaaaybe do something, but it'd probably be all plot armor. I guess I never realized how OP Bayo is.

At this point I'm not even sure if this is what OP is asking, but I'm having fun.
I'll definitely give you that much, yeah. Though to be fair, we don't really see Rosa demonstrate her true power much beyond that; she did build an entire spaceship with what little resources she had, but she also had the Lumas do most of the heavy lifting, and she doesn't get much of a chance in 3D World or the spinoffs because it simply wouldn't fit the games' playstyle.

As an aside, that's probably why Bayo's transition into Smash 4 was so shaky; how do you take a blatantly, even proudly OP character and make them even remotely fair without compromising that intoxicating power fantasy? Smash 4 Bayo is too strong, while Ultimate Bayo is too weak, but they're fundamentally so similar that I couldn't think of a good balance if I tried. (That's also why I would be concerned about other stylish action characters like Dante, Kratos, or even MG:R Raiden getting into Smash, seeing as they bank just as much on that feeling of overwhelming power).

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely give you that much, yeah. Though to be fair, we don't really see Rosa demonstrate her true power much beyond that; she did build an entire spaceship with what little resources she had, but she also had the Lumas do most of the heavy lifting, and she doesn't get much of a chance in 3D World or the spinoffs because it simply wouldn't fit the games' playstyle.

As an aside, that's probably why Bayo's transition into Smash 4 was so shaky; how do you take a blatantly, even proudly OP character and make them even remotely fair without compromising that intoxicating power fantasy? Smash 4 Bayo is too strong, while Ultimate Bayo is too weak, but they're fundamentally so similar that I couldn't think of a good balance if I tried. (That's also why I would be concerned about other stylish action characters like Dante, Kratos, or even MG:R Raiden getting into Smash, seeing as they bank just as much on that feeling of overwhelming power).
I can think of a few ways to make her a little more balanced, but ultimately (no pun) I would have loved if they reworked her moveset all together. I'm really dissapointed they didn't introduce any of her other weapons or Wicked Weave combos, and tbh in the Bayo games you will almost never use ABK, HS, or WT. I wish they would have chose a different approach all together. I would love if she was just as combo heavy and technical but with combos that led into kills, or at least sets up for them. I'm thinking like Metaknight, but after you hit the 4th move in the combo it activates her Wicked Weave. I feel like Bayo is represented well, but there's still so much untapped potential.

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
I could just set the stamina of whoever she’s facing against at a higher level, to try to approximate a big boss battle. Kid Icarus Uprising’s stage seems like a good battlefield for her, too.

I wound up trying her with Father Balder and Loki against a team of 5 ZSSs with Light Suit and Gunship, a Zelda with Impa, Din, Naryu, and Risky Boots, and a Richter with Soma Cruz and some supports that I forgot (he wore a back shield at the beginning, though.) All primary spirits maxed out on level, all cpus level 1, bayonetta at 999 hp, the others at 50 or 80 or 100 hp (some mix, I think,) but gotta defeat them all in 2 minutes (or at least 6 of them and then win in sudden death.) That turned out pretty cool. Also did a no spirit battle against a team of 6 ZSSs and a Zelda, all level 9 or 8 or around there. That also turned out pretty cool, but they massacred me in that scenario :pPPP

Top Bottom