• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FullMetal and Smash Studios proudly present: Tipped Off 9 - December 14th, 2013 - Atlanta, GA

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion

Hey fellow smashers it's been a while since smashboards was up, and even longer since the last installment of my tournament series. But I'm very pleased to finally confirm this one, and hope to see many of you attend. Since smashboards is being lame and won't let me put up the stream url: http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Shoutouts to SS | Flow for fronting the money for the venue!

Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/239702919518918/

Pre-registration is up!
https://fs6.formsite.com/theflow21/tippedoff9/secure_index.html

Door fee: 15$ before the end of October, 20$ before the end of November, 25$ at the door

Singles entry fee: 15$

Doubles entry fee: 10$ per person (20$ total)

Payouts will be 60/30/10 for 1st/2nd/3rd

Finalized Schedule:
Saturday, December 14th-
10am- Doors open/late registration
12pm- Late registration ENDS, no exceptions
1pm- Melee Doubles bracket begins
2pm- Project M bracket begins
3pm- Melee Singles pools begin
5pm to 6pm- OFFICIAL break time. No matches will be called, no DQs will be handed out during this hour
10pm- Venue closes, everyone must GTFO!

Sunday, December 15th-
10am- Doors open/Warmups
11am- Tournament play resumes (Top 4 Project Melee, Melee singles bracket, top 4 of Melee Doubles)
*Top 4 of Melee Doubles and Project Melee will begin immediately at 11am, Singles Bracket will begin immediately after
5pm-6pm- OFFICIAL break time. No matches will be called, no DQs will be handed out during this hour
9pm- Cleanup begins
10pm- They take the keys away from me! EVERYONE must be out and the place must be CLEAN!

Yes, we are an Apex 2014 Qualifier!

Placing well in qualifier events will earn you points, which seeds you better at Apex 2014. The top 8 players in the singles tournament at each event will earn points. The following is how the distribution of points will work:
1st – 128 points
2nd – 64 points
3rd – 16 points
4th – 8 points
5th – 2 points
7th – 1 point

Here's a few photos of the venue to help you find your way in!

This is what you'll see as you drive down the street and you're super close. You're gonna make a right-hand turn into this Hampton Inn. UNLESS you're coming from the Marta Station, in which case it'll be on your left.

This is the parking lot you should see after you've turned into the venue. Park somewhere!

This is the entrance you'll want to use. You could possibly find other ways in, but we can't ALL be ninjas!

Then, once you're inside- you'll walk straight forward and pass 2 computers on your left. The next door on your left, will lead to this room:

Except it'll be all tournament-ed out and stuff. Anyhow, on to the rules!

General Tournament Rules

4 Stock, 8 minute time limit for both singles and doubles

Games are best of 3, Winners and Loser's Semifinals and Finals will be best of 5.

Pools will be done first if neccessary, followed by brackets. Both singles and doubles will be DOUBLE ELIMINATION.

Doubles Team Attack is ON, LIFE stealing is allowed. Pause should be OFF during any teams match, so as to avoid any drama. IF for some reason the game is paused as a player tries to take a stock, it is up to their opponent as to whether or not they will be forced to forfeit that stock.

BYOC: I dont think this should be a problem anyways.

In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.

All decisions made by tournament officials are final.

Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at MY discretion.

Any sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.

Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.

Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

The stage for Game 1 will be selected through STAGE STRIKING.

Double Blind Rule: For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64

Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium

Singles counterpick selectable stages: Pokemon Stadium

Doubles counterpick selectable stages: Rainbow Cruise, DK64

Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams

Selectable counterpick stage for singles AND doubles: Mushroom Kingdom 2 Yes I am serious, its a Tipped Off favorite AND tradition. =)

WOBBLING IS LEGAL

After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose one stage from the available tournament list that won’t be used during the series.

Original DSR is in effect: You cannot counterpick to any stage you have won on, ever.

After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.

Project M Rules:
PM ruleset
Starters: Battlefield, Dreamland, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, Yoshi's Story
Counterpicks: Dracula’s Castle, Green Hill Zone, Lylat Cruise, WarioWare, Yoshi’s Island: Brawl

4 stock 8 mins

Items Off

Stage striking 122121

2 stage bans

otherwise regular Melee rules

Tipped Off 9's discounted room rate at the Hampton Inn is now live! This discount rate is available for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (Dec 13-15) at the hotel. Visit http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/A/ATLHMHX-TIP-20131213/index.jhtml to reserve a room. This will decrease the cost of a 2 Double Bed Non Smoking room from 89/night to 69/night! In addition, you can also call the hotel at 1-404-303-0014 and ask for the Tipped Off 9 group discount.

For anyone flying in, or even locals who don't want to drive: the venue is conveniently located near the Dunwoody Marta station!
http://www.itsmarta.com/ns-dun-overview.aspx
As google maps so kindly shows us here, its not that far at all! So no johns about transportation!

Well, that's pretty much all I've got so far. Further updates will occur as needed.
Oh, BRING SETUPS! This means TVs, Gamecubes/Wiis, and copies of SSBM.
Hope to see many of you there! =D

Pengie

Smash Lord
Everyone should come to this if possible. This past year or so has been really good for Georgia's Melee scene what with all the new players coming out and having a consistent smashfest every Friday, so I'm really hoping that all the new players get to come out for a their first big tournament experience.

Having said that I'm about 99.999% sure that I'll be there bodying ****** for GA =D

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Looks like you did a much better job on directions to the venue than last time LOL. Idk if I can be there, we'll see.

The Flow

Smash Cadet
How dafuq is is the Atlanta, GA airport 30 miles from the venue? Is atlanta really that big or am I doing something wrong
The airport and venue are literally on complete opposite sides and both are right where Atlanta city lines end. Despite that, transportation to the venue will be simple. There is a MARTA station in the airport and you can take that all the way to the Dunwoody station, where the venue is about a mile away. From there, they have a MARTA bus that stops at the Dunwoody MARTA station and can take you to right outside the venue. http://www.itsmarta.com/rail-schedules-or-route.aspx has more information regarding MARTA schedule and cost.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Hotels also frequently provide shuttle services to public transportation locations if you're staying at the hotel. It would be worth asking if this particular one provides such a service.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Also just to throw this out there; there will most likely be a smashfest/tournament happening on the 13th at Georgia Tech and I encourage any out of staters to try and make it out if possible. It'd be a good warm-up for the actual tournament the next day and people can get more games in against players they've never played before. These smashfests at Tech are usually pretty big and I can't imagine that one right before a big tournament would be any smaller, so if anyone is driving to Atlanta I highly recommend dropping by.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'll see about coming on Sunday. The 14th is my one year anniversary, so I might see about spending the day in Atlanta with my wife and dropping by Sunday.

With that, do I still pay the full door fee or can I pay half or something?

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I'll see about coming on Sunday. The 14th is my one year anniversary, so I might see about spending the day in Atlanta with my wife and dropping by Sunday.

With that, do I still pay the full door fee or can I pay half or something?

I'd advise pre-registering early, so you can get in on the 15$ fee rather than a more expensive fee later on, even if you're not entering any events. Other than that, I could be persuaded to offer a 10$ sunday only spectator sort of deal.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
I see PM rules in the OP, but no PM times in the schedule. Is the rules being in there a copy/paste error or is there actually going to be PM here?

NTA

Smash Lord
I'd love to come to this if I'm able to have everything together. Only 30 minutes away T_T

Glad to see GA getting some more love, especially atlanta in recent times

j00t

Smash Champion
Can you please change the end date in the title? the post says the tournament ends on Sunday but the title says it ends on Saturday.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Any additional info on P:M? Like a schedule? Which version will be used? 3.0 comes out the Monday before on 12/09.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Bump for finalized schedule. Project Melee 3.0 will be the version used. Also this may just be because I'm a scrub- but I can't figure out how to make the tournament listed for the 14th and 15th, joot.
I guess a homie just can't get a sticky or anything... =(

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Will there be any housing available, by any chance? I'd love to come to this tourney, seeing that it's RIGHT after I'm done with exams.

Edit: Hotel is most likely an option as well, but I just wanted to make sure

Top Bottom