• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Full Starter List?

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
20 characters, 6 more than Melee's starter list, which in turn had 6 characters more than SSB64's starter list.

The list is also evened out on the official site, and I doubt a new row will be formed.

8 newcomers revealed; twice as many as in Melee's starter list.

I think this is it. This is the official starter list of Brawl, and there will be no more new character updates. Snake may not be a secret character afterall, especially since he's gotten such a large update. An besides, who else would be the best character to end the starter list with. Sorry Sonic, Ridley, Geno, Lucario, and Lucas supporters, but I think you have to wait until the game is released to see if your character made the cut.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is based off nothing, Sakurai said that most likely Snake would be secret, and also said that he would reveil everything before the game came out...

...anyway why does it matter?

B01001101ownz

Smash Apprentice
so C. Falcon is a secret again? I doubt it, I believe a new row will be added and we'll have 22 starter characters (ness and falcon

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
C. Falcon will be a starter. And there will be an Earthbound/Mother starter too. For some reason I don't think you thought this thread the whole way through when you made it.

HecNukem

Smash Rookie
what if thers six more starters you kno dbling ech tim
SSB + 6 =SSBM + 12=SSBB

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
This is based off nothing, Sakurai said that most likely Snake would be secret,
"Most likely" does not mean, "he will definatly be unlockable." That would be dumb anyway, since Snake has already been revealed.

and also said that he would reveil everything before the game came out...
Source? And why would he reveal everything? If thats the case whats the point of secrets?

...anyway why does it matter?
Some people wouldn't like secret charaters being revealed (not including me), and few people may be expecting curtain characters to be revealed before the game releases. This may just be untrue.

Oh, and yes, Ness and C. Falcon can become secrets again, as proved by may other fighting games.

Edit: Jigglypuff and Luigi, anybody?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
20 characters, 6 more than Melee's starter list, which in turn had 6 characters more than SSB64's starter list.
your right!!!!!! how the heck could SSBB have MORE characters than melee!? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!1
seriously, thats just blind speculation. just because melee had 6 more starters than SSB64, doesn't mean that he'll do the exact same for brawl.

The list is also evened out on the official site, and I doubt a new row will be formed.
why? new rows were formed all the time, when characters were updated. why stop now?

8 newcomers revealed; twice as many as in Melee's starter list.
and that proves anything....how?

I think this is it. This is the official starter list of Brawl, and there will be no more new character updates.
how? all you did was blindly predict the brawl team as if they were some kind of machine.

Snake may not be a secret character afterall, especially since he's gotten such a large update.
yeah, thats kinda obvious.

An besides, who else would be the best character to end the starter list with. Sorry Sonic, Ridley, Geno, Lucario, and Lucas supporters, but I think you have to wait until the game is released to see if your character made the cut.
that is, if there werent plenty of glaring flaws with your logic:

1: the brawl team is human. they can follow thier own patterns if they want. they dont have to stick to tradition.
2: if they were to stick to tradition, like you think they are, ness and CF would still be starters. that breaks tradition. but if they are brawl starters, that would still break tradition. so as you can clearly see, there is no tradition.
4: theres no reason to re-lock captain falcon. perhaps ness, since he might be replaced by lucas, but not CF.
5: new character rows were formed all the time. theres no reason why they wouldn't be now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"Most likely" does not mean, "he will definatly be unlockable." That would be dumb anyway, since Snake has already been revealed.

Source? And why would he reveal everything? If thats the case whats the point of secrets?

Some people wouldn't like secret charaters being revealed (not including me), and few people may be expecting curtain characters to be revealed before the game releases. This may just be untrue.

Oh, and yes, Ness and C. Falcon can become secrets again, as proved by may other fighting games.

Edit: Jigglypuff and Luigi, anybody?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

Do some research

Don't check the **** site if you don't want the secrets reveiled...He was concidering not adding any secrets when someone asked him because they would just be all over the internet after the first day anyway...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd say that we'll have 50 fighters total (excludes transformations and Pokemon used by trainers) and 25 of the fighters will be starters.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd say that we'll have 50 fighters total (excludes transformations and Pokemon used by trainers) and 25 of the fighters will be starters.
wow, that's expecting a little too much...People are guessing 34-40 at most total

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
your right!!!!!! how the heck could SSBB have MORE characters than melee!? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!1
seriously, thats just blind speculation. just because melee had 6 more starters than SSB64, doesn't mean that he'll do the exact same for brawl.
True, however I don't think that it is coincidence that Snake, the only pre-revealed charater not to have a profile became the 20th character profile, plus a large update, and then on top of that he is a 3rd party character!

why? new rows were formed all the time, when characters were updated. why stop now?
See above

and that proves anything....how?
It doesn't prove, but it supports through coincidence.

how? all you did was blindly predict the brawl team as if they were some kind of machine.
Did you read? I said, "I think."

yeah, thats kinda obvious.
Whats wrong with stating the obvious?

that is, if there werent plenty of glaring flaws with your logic:

1: the brawl team is human. they can follow thier own patterns if they want. they dont have to stick to tradition.
I'm human too, and I see Snake's profile as a type of conclusion.

2: if they were to stick to tradition, like you think they are, ness and CF would still be starters. that breaks tradition. but if they are brawl starters, that would still break tradition. so as you can clearly see, there is no tradition.
Who said their was a tradition? Even so, how could we notice a tradition with only two games released so far?

4: theres no reason to re-lock captain falcon. perhaps ness, since he might be replaced by lucas, but not CF.
Do they need a reason? There is no reason to put 3rd party characters, Melee was one of the greatest games without them! There was no reason to add a Golden Hammer! There was no reason to lock characters in the first place!

5: new character rows were formed all the time. theres no reason why they wouldn't be now.
Sigh...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You yourself are proving no reasons other than your assumption and your asking others for them? That's kinda hypocritical

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
You yourself are proving no reasons other than your assumption and your asking others for them? That's kinda hypocritical
What are you talking about? First of all, I don't care if the site reveals secret charaters.
And I read that post, Sakurai revealed the characters AFTER the game was released, what makes you think that he would reveal the characters BEFORE its released this time?

And what do you mean I'm being hypocritical? Whats the point of jumping on someone for stating what he thinks may be the case. Even after he gives reasons to why he makes that assumption!

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
so C. Falcon is a secret again? I doubt it, I believe a new row will be added and we'll have 22 starter characters (ness and falcon
*ahem* Zero Suit Samus does not take up a spot on the roster. Assuming Snake is unlockable and C. Falcon and Ness are starters, then there are still only 20 starters.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
You have to ask yourself. Did Sheik contribute to the character count in Melee?

If she did, then I suppose Zero Suit Samus does as well.

Also, the original poster has a point.

At this moment all characters that have been revealed in the trailers, as well as newcomers have been revealed. Every new character from now on is news to us excluding Cpt. Falcon and Ness/Lucas. And considering that they have been secret characters before does not rule out them becoming secret again.

And if the numbers are right, the pattern does suit his hypothesis.

You all should be ashamed for trying to disprove someone's theory in such a hostile manner when you yourself have no base or proof to prove him otherwise.

Just because a theory comes against popular belief doesn't mean its wrong, thats just solid prejudice.

Earlier someone mentioned if Zero Suit Samus and Snake weren't part of the original roster then Cpt. Falcon and Ness would fit in there to attribute to the starting 20, which also makes sense.

I myself don't see more than 20 starters in this game.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
ZSS is a bit different though, since the player can't actually start as Zero Suit Samus.
Then she very well wouldn't have a character profile on the website if she very well wasn't a character. Don't you figure.

Wouldn't she be in the Final Smash section if that were the case? (ie, Giga Bowser not being a character in the list, but a transformation as result of a Final Smash.)

What say you?

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Don't know yet.
Don't know what yet? I think that the update on the site, in addition to ZSS's introduction on the previous site made it pretty obvious that a Final Smash is required to make the transformation.

if you could play with ZSS whenever you want, then that would make her Final Smash transformation utterly pointless.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Then she very well wouldn't have a character profile on the website if she very well wasn't a character. Don't you figure.

Wouldn't she be in the Final Smash section if that were the case? (ie, Giga Bowser not being a character in the list, but a transformation as result of a Final Smash.)

What say you?
She has a completely different moveset from standard Samus, just like Sheik and Zelda have completely different moveset. a separate profile makes perfect sense. the main underlying difference is the way in which they transform. Zelda uses a special move to transform. Samus's transformation is a much rarer occurance.

and FYI, Zero Suit Samus is covered under Samus's Final Smash.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
She has a completely different moveset from standard Samus, just like Sheik and Zelda have completely different moveset. a separate profile makes perfect sense. the main underlying difference is the way in which they transform. Zelda uses a special move to transform. Samus's transformation is a much rarer occurance.

What is this supposed to mean exactly. Other than a conclusion based on opinion I don't see how a character's moveset or rarity affects their character count status.

and FYI, Zero Suit Samus is covered under Samus's Final Smash.

If you were mistaken, I implied exclusively to Samus' Final Smash section.
However, argument up there aside I have tallied up the characters on the Melee screen and while it added to 25, the inclusion of Sheik added it to 26.

Whether the argument behind Zelda and Sheik supposed to be utilized as one character singularily or as seperate characters is just more opinion.

However as Samus and Zero Suit Samus are two non-interchangeable characters voluntarily it is another opinion to view them as entirely seperate characters altogether would be more speculation.

I suppose we'll know when or if we are getting any more Starter characters with the possible updates of Ness/Lucas and/or Cpt. Falcon in the future.

But I add with this thought. Why.. would you update an unlockable character, before said starter characters?

Why.. That wouldn't be very traditional now would it?

=l

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It's ridiculous when people try to extrapolate a pattern from a set of TWO numbers (8 starters in SSB and 14 starters in SSBM must mean 20 starters in SSBB). The same nonsense was going on when people tried to decipher the "pattern" to the Dojo updates.

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
It's ridiculous when people try to extrapolate a pattern from a set of TWO numbers (8 starters in SSB and 14 starters in SSBM must mean 20 starters in SSBB). The same nonsense was going on when people tried to decipher the "pattern" to the Dojo updates.
Ah, but finding a pattern to the number of starters makes more since than the updates which are just plain random. This is either hit or miss.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
NESS AND CAPTAIN FALCON have been KIKt OUT OF TEH GAME at least 100!

lulz

He's going to make new rows. He WILL make new rows.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Snake is unlockable, and ZSS isn't a pure character addition.
Soooo....
18 starters so far.
I expect 3 more starters: Captain Falcon, Earthbound/Mother rep., Animal Crossing Rep.
21 sounds like a good number for a starting roster.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Do you really think that Sakurai isn't going to reveal a single character in a whole 2 months? That seems a bit ridiculous.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Every Friday, there is a character update. Either moves, of Final Smashes, or a new character.
Or so I make an uneducated guess.
Therefore, there are only 10 more character updates left, unless he decides to make a new character a double update, which I doubt.

10. 19 starters (Not including ol' Snakey, since I think having a whole profile counts as being a starter.)

Moves: ZSS, (Meta technically cause his moves were confirmed weirdly), Kirby, Pika, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, DK, Yoshi, Peach, IC.

10 move updates to go...

FS: Wario, Ike, PT, Meta, Diddy, Snake, Kirby, Fox, Zelda, Peach, IC.

11 FS updates to go...

At least do some work, come on, people...

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
Every Friday, there is a character update. Either moves, of Final Smashes, or a new character.
Or so I make an uneducated guess.
Therefore, there are only 10 more character updates left, unless he decides to make a new character a double update, which I doubt.

10. 19 starters (Not including ol' Snakey, since I think having a whole profile counts as being a starter.)

Moves: ZSS, (Meta technically cause his moves were confirmed weirdly), Kirby, Pika, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, DK, Yoshi, Peach, IC.

10 move updates to go...

FS: Wario, Ike, PT, Meta, Diddy, Snake, Kirby, Fox, Zelda, Peach, IC.

11 FS updates to go...

At least do some work, come on, people...
ZEH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

1. Updates are random besides the fact that all BIG updates are on Fridays.
2. ...so you don't count ZSS?
3. What? Are those the people without move updates or with? If your counting Meta, then thats 11.
4. Your totally right about Final Smashes, but besides that, your entire post is confusing.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
-sigh- snake isnt going to be a secret character anymore guys, i dont know what other clues to give u
How can you say that with such certainty?

Everybody already knew Snake was going to be in, and because of that, I would think that Sakurai would give him his profile despite his unlockable status.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think several of the characters on the site so far will be unlockable.

Here's an interesting thing to think about. Some of the character updates include a banner saying "Warning! Challenger Approaching!". This is basically what it said on screen when you faced an unlockable character in Melee. If that banner is meant to denote an unlockable, then Diddy, PT and Ike would be unlockable characters - not a huge stretch since they're all new, and presumably all have a rep from their franchise already available at the start (DK, Pikachu, Marth).

However, Snake didn't get that "Warning" banner, which makes me wonder... *shrug*

Brockman5

Smash Ace
thats a good point max...the "warning" banners were not placed on the site randomly... So i think that all of the "WARNING" characters are unlockable...

we also know that all of the characters that appear in the subspace videos are starters..(metaknight may be an exception)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Warning banners were only placed on characters that weren't in any trailers.

Ike, PT, and Diddy.

Top Bottom