• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Full hop does nothing on stage

Y-L

Smash Champion
Many players have the bad habit of full hopping on stage to get in. I think it would be greatly beneficial to have a code which does the following

- Performing a short hop works as usual
- Performing a full hop does nothing (to make sure you're still getting the timing right for short hops)
- If possible, tap jump still allows for full hops
- Double jumps/ledge jumps are still functional

This would be a great tool to help condition players like myself to use the ground game more and avoid jumping in with full hops

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I thought this was an available code and got excited. I second this request, I have an awful habit of full hoping and this would help me so much.

Acryte

Smash Ace
If your intentional goal is choosing to full hop because you have decided you want to pass over them vertically... You're making a read, and you are convinced that at that moment, you can get away with it. Because it is a read, and because of that certainty, if the game wants to stop you from full hopping, I feel like now you're going to develop a habit of short hopping and then burning your doublejump to get past them. If the issue was accidentally full hopping I'd understand. In the same way it would be useful to have instant death on jump from ledge. Most people aren't deciding to actually use that option, it's an input mistake.

So I feel like it would have uses for helping people notice their inconsistencies when performing short hops, but I don't think it's going to help change your commitment to going above them. If anything it may establish an even riskier habit.

Also, I think people don't full hop enough actually. If you watch good players play, they utilize full hop aerials quite frequently, whereas lesser players tend to want to spam moves as quickly as they can and stick to a large amount of shuffled aerials. If you only are shuffling, there is an entire region of space you are never threatening, and an entire timing of forced defense that you're not utilizing. It's easier to time stuff against purely shuffled aerials because that's what we are most frequently exposed to. It's having to mix up our expectations to 2 extremely different timings that makes shuffling, which has a shorter window for response, such a good tool. It's the full hop aerials that help make it even better. Good players also full hop above plats, fast fall and pass through the plat, and then put an aerial out and land on stage. You want to always be aware of the options you have and then utilize them. People like Mango have an easy time because most people don't have enough variation. Once he figures out what you want to do, unless you have the mix-ups, it's over. It's important that you play in a way that doesn't weed out mix-ups from your game to the point that you forget about them. The danger being that now you're predictably short hopping aerials and because people expect it, it's easier for them to punish or avoid your approaches.

So it's still a useful code, and I'd like to see it available for us to use, but I think it's important that we recognize the dangers of using that code. If we're aware of the other bad habits that can come from it, we'll be able to use it without necessarily developing those habits.

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Y-L Y-L

A little late but here it is, I'm on a bit of a coding kick today. You enter JumpSquat regardless so there's no getting around that but if hold the jump button for long enough, you return to the Wait action state. Also very hard to wavedash with this code since most people wavedash out of full hop. Gotta be honest I don't see this code being super useful but have at it if you'd like.
Code:
$Full Hop Goes to Wait Action [UnclePunch]
C20CB250 00000005
81C3002C 81CE2340
2C0E0000 40820014
3DC08008 61CEA348
7DC903A6 4E800420
7C0802A6 00000000
Code:
##Inject @ 800cb250 (AS_JumpSquat)

lwz    r14, 0x002C (r3)        #get some pointer
lwz    r14, 0x2340 (r14)    #get short hop bool from pointer (0=full hop,1=short hop)

cmpwi r14,0
bne done        #branch if short hop

lis r14,0x8008              
ori r14,r14,0xa348        #load Wait action state address
mtctr r14
bctr        #branch to Wait

done:
mflr    r0    #original line

Last edited:
Top Bottom