• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Full Hop Dair

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Hi, I've noticed something about Ike's Dair. When you use it immediately after full hoping, you land with absolutely no landing lag and you can also hit the enemy below Ike if he is not shorter than Mario (I don't know with shield though).

Can it be some tools to hit the opponent safely or even pressure their shield with the New mechanics ? Or I'm too late at the party ?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It isn't amazing. The hitbox only lasts 2 frames, so the hitbox isn't out when you're still ascending. To get the auto cancel, you have to do a full hop and Down Air immediately. It's better to just F-Air, N-Air or B-Air in that case, or empty jump.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
The thing about these other options is that you still get the landing lag (or nothing with the empty jump).

I know it isn't a game changer but I think it can be handy in some situations. For example jumping behind an opponent who is shielding while Down Air him and then landing for a grab or something else (but I don't know if the shield stun will be strong enough)

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You can time F-Air/B-Air to auto cancel, N-Air has so little landing lag it doesn't matter. You'd also have to fall with the down air, leaving yourself for landing lag because your full hop D-Air wouldn't hit on the cross up, it'd hit too early and they would punish it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It just doesn't hit low enough. It's much better to fall with it. If you get a grounded spike and they don't tech, that's a free followup and even kill confirm at higher %s.

Last edited:

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
I hit Mario without falling down, of course it will not work with someone like Pikachu but most of the cast can get hit by that.

So basically, it isn't interesting because the time between the hit and the landing is too long right ?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It's an interesting mix-up, but Ike has better options for getting a kill option that are safer and easier to perform.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
I feel like, for shield pressure, jab1+jab2+dtilt is better pressure on the shield because it's safer for Ike and for other (non-shield-pressure) situations you're going to get a lot better hitbox coverage in the air with fair or nair.

If you're really good at spacing things perfectly, turn around and perfectly space a bair on shield. It feels less clunky, to me.

I dunno, I'm terrible, but that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I love full hop d-air as a mixup, but I don't think it's very reliable otherwise. Using it to punish some rolls/airdodges can be pretty satisfying.

Still really miss Brawl d-air.

Hmm... I guess that's what I get for playing with fellow noobs. :)
<3

Top Bottom