• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Full Guide to Everything Zero Suit Samus

Full Guide to Everything Zero Suit Samus

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
free33 submitted a new guide:

Full Guide to Everything Zero Suit Samus - Here is a guide to everything about ZSS, including move set, play style, and much more!

Hi everyone and welcome to my guide for my main, Zero Suit Samus! Here I will be covering everything I can think of about the character including move set, combos, play style, pro players, and more! If there is anything I missed or is incorrect, please leave it in the comments, and if anyone would like to play friendlies, My NNID is Intelctalmeatbal.

Contact Me

Email: Bbrown@Chadwickschool.org

Smashboards: Lede1243

Facebook: Benjamin Brown (SoCal)

Move...
Read more about this guide...

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Very helpful and informative. Thanks you did a GREAT job! :)

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Thank you:). I'm planning on making a Greninja guide or a beginners guide next. Good luck!

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
free33 updated Full Guide to Everything Zero Suit Samus with a new update entry:

Nairo Wins MLG over ZeRo!

Our main ZSS representative Liquid Nairo ended TSM ZeRo's undefeated tournament win streak of over 50 tournaments. Here is the link to the incredible match: MLG 2015 Super Smash Bros for Wii U Finals ZeRo vs Nairo

• Aspire to be great! Remember that consistency with early death combos is what every ZSS should strive for. Congrats to Liquid Nairo. He is an amazing player and role modle for ZSS players.
Read the rest of this update entry...

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
free33 updated Full Guide to Everything Zero Suit Samus with a new update entry:

Update Patch 1.1.1

Patch 1.1.1 increased the shield stun in SSB4. moves that hit shields will now force people to stay in their shields for longer, making some moves safer on shield. Fortunately this includes ZSS's important Neutral Air! That's right, ZSS's Nair is now safer on shield! it is not totally safe on shield, but the extra frames ZSS has to get away make the move much more effective. Because ZSS spaces with Nair so much, this is a pretty big buff.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal

The guide so far.. (Like if you caught the Supernatural reference)

Hey everybody. So I have made a few revisions to the guide, mostly in terms of grammar, clearer phrasing, and redefining info on some of her moves. A new section has been added about ledge gameplay, which is a vital part of any smasher's gameplay. I have also added some important aspects to her weaknesses, as well as updated everything for the current patch. I will always review everything once patch changes happen, so rest assured that what you are reading is current and relevant. I have...

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal

Patch 1.1.5 Changes

Zss got hit with some nerfs in 1.1.5 (we are currently in 1.1.6, but she has been unchanged since 1.1.5). Here they are:
  • Nair deals less damage: 10% → 8%, though with its knockback compensated (40 base/80 scaling → 38/96). Additionally, some of its hitboxes have less range (hitbox 1 front: 6u → 5.7u, hitbox 1 back: 6u → 5.6u).

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal

Frame Sync Combos

SO to @skoolzout1 for his thread on labbing these combos. If you do not know what a Frame Sync is, please read this link. ZSS can benefit greatly from frame synced aerials. some discovered combos include:

Bair-Down B (early mid percent)
Nair-Up B (mid-high mid percent)
Guaranteed Nair-Dsmash at more percents
Guaranteed Nair-Down B at more percents...

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I just want to say that I have updated this guide for 1.1.6. I plan on updating the "pro players" section to include more recent ZSS matches.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I have yet to read the guide to its entirety but all the information that I did read is proving to be very helpful.
For some reason, I feel like tap jump is better for me when using ZSS. I seem to can string Uairs a lot easier. Looking at permanently button mapping my C-stick (smash)/tap jump (off) to C-stick (tilts)/tap jump (on).

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I have yet to read the guide to its entirety but all the information that I did read is proving to be very helpful.
For some reason, I feel like tap jump is better for me when using ZSS. I seem to can string Uairs a lot easier. Looking at permanently button mapping my C-stick (smash)/tap jump (off) to C-stick (tilts)/tap jump (on).
C-stick to attack and tap jump on is my preferred setup. Although I do recommend mapping a shoulder button to jump for mashing jump when you want to footstool. Might I direct you to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWCzuUMnxM personally, I find this setup better because of the freedom of aerial momentum, easier tilts, and easier Up B out of shield. I would say the only real downside to this is the inability to Perfect Pivot Dsmash, which is a good tactic, but it's a small price to pay for all the reward you get. again, if you want both tap jump and button jump, just map a shoulder button to jump. That's my two cents. Hope it helps!

Davo dopo

Smash Rookie
Zss is an amazing character for many reasons. She's very quick, has great spacing tools that are further bolstered by her speed. She's got good, many, and fun combos and great mixups.
Her recovery is top notch. It's long distanced and unpredictable which makes gimping and edge guarding very difficult if not dangerous.
I think her down special flip jump is arguably her best move and one of the best in the game. It has controllable varied distance, intangibility upon startup, and great offensive prowess. It bolsters her recovery to the point of being able to recover from nearly anywhere offstage. It's basically an extra horizontal jump. She can go far or remain pretty close from move onset, which many novice zss players don't know. If you d-B then move the joystick fwd you will go further in that direction and holding back prevents her from moving much. You can click the attack button to perform a kick at the end which is very powerful and a phenomenal meteor smash of sweet spotted. It's one of her strongest moves. If she lands on a character in the air without attack they are meteor smashed. If she hits on the ground without kicking they are buried in the ground. It's hard to follow up though as she jumps afterward and the her high positioned attacks make it difficult to land moves on buried opponents. I have trouble with this but some good moves are down smash which prolongs paralysis and up special which can kill. It's difficult to keep the opponent locked in for the up special though especially with lighter, floatier and smaller characters. Down smash can help with better positioning than the buried opponent

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal

August 2018 Update

New Contact Info: Bsb316@gmail.com

I am now a part of the Colorado Smash Community

With Smash Ultimate on the horizon, I thought I would give this guide one last update. I will update it for the current smash 4 meta, cut for clarity, simplify grammar and sentence structures, add new strings and ideas from more modern ZSS players, update the secondaries section, etc. I hope you've all enjoyed the guide and I hope more people will continue to get use out of it. see y'all in...

Top Bottom