• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ftilt vs Dtilt and other thoughts

JTPROG

Smash Rookie
One of the things I've been wondering a while and never really been able to figure out much, when is it better to use one of these tilts over the other? There are some obvious situations for both, but in general if given the opportunity to choose either which one would I rather use? I haven't been putting much dtilt into my game because ftilt seemed more consistent, should I be trying to?

also some other random thoughts with zss...
  • is dthrow - uair - uair always the IDEAL throw combo (in terms of dmg/consistency)?
  • is dthrow - uspecial a good combo at a certain percent or too unreliable?
  • ffnair vs ffuair? I think ffnair is always safer but is the risk/reward for ffuair worth it?
  • how effective is zss pivot grab?
That's it for now

-JT

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
  • is dthrow - uair - uair always the IDEAL throw combo (in terms of dmg/consistency)?
No, dThrow > uAir > uAir > uSpecial is. If you can't do the uSpecial then dThrow > uAir > bAir deals more damage.
  • is dthrow - uspecial a good combo at a certain percent or too unreliable?
It is reliable at certain percentages.
  • ffnair vs ffuair? I think ffnair is always safer but is the risk/reward for ffuair worth it?
FF nAir has great followups too but I know what you're getting at.
I often feel like FF uAir is character dependant because it has to be executed fairly late on some small characters like Diddy.
  • how effective is zss pivot grab?
It's great, but dependant on your opponents behaviour. Always note that a missed grab should hurt you hard so don't just throw them out.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I tend to use dtilt/ftilt interchangeably as a zoning tool based on spacing.

If I'm walking distance away from my opponent, I tend to sequence between ftilt and grab, since ftilt is shieldable but fairly safe without a whole lot of forward momentum from an opponent, and grab obviously beats shield.

If they are dashing distance away, I tend to sequence between dtilt and a retreating ipg. Dtilt will reach into the zone where they can't bring their shield up during dash and has huge followup potential advantages over ftilt at non super low percents. The ipg catches them out of dash > shield approach since that option makes the ftilt inherently less safe.

JTPROG

Smash Rookie
I tend to use dtilt/ftilt interchangeably as a zoning tool based on spacing.

If I'm walking distance away from my opponent, I tend to sequence between ftilt and grab, since ftilt is shieldable but fairly safe without a whole lot of forward momentum from an opponent, and grab obviously beats shield.

If they are dashing distance away, I tend to sequence between dtilt and a retreating ipg. Dtilt will reach into the zone where they can't bring their shield up during dash and has huge followup potential advantages over ftilt at non super low percents. The ipg catches them out of dash > shield approach since that option makes the ftilt inherently less safe.
Seems like a good strategy, what does the I in IPG stand for? (assuming the rest is pivot grab) Still not the best with lingo on these boards

DeLux

IPG is instant pivot grab

with Smash stick on input dash one way, cstick the opposite way and immediately hit grab. This prevents you from doing a dash dance dashing grab.

DeLux

If you press too hard on the control stick, then you may accidentally dash dance to dash grab. Since I have a neurological disorder, I have to make the inputs as error proof as possible.

So for ZSS, if I accidentally dash dance dash grab, I end up getting the business. There really isn't too much harm if I accidentally ftilt or dash attack the wrong direction.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
On some characters, ftilt may not reach since they may be too short, whereas dtilt will most likely always hit.

At low percents i can combo single paralyzer>dtilt> sh zair, to which i can dash attack or sh fair, or nair.

I actually rarely use dtilt and ftilt, although i do see instances in my gameplay where i should tilt instead of my reactionary jab.

Top Bottom