• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frustration with Marth.

Khalith

Smash Rookie
Hello all, for some background I haven’t played Smash since the GameCube and I picked up Ultimate as I wanted to get back in to it. In Melee when I unlocked Marth I really enjoyed the character. When Ultimate came out I immediately gravitated towards him but I’ve having issues taking him in the online mode.

I’m not sure if it’s something I’m just not getting but I can’t seem to get the hang of him in the online play. Now lag aside it seems like I just can’t get his spacing right or set up kills with him. The more I play and try out other characters it seems like I’m getting worse with him.

Started playing ROB and Incineroar and my success with them is quickly surpassing Marth. Any advice or tips would be welcome, I really want to make him my main again and while I rock him in spirit battles, for the online mode I feel like I’ve hit a wall with him and I just can’t break past it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello all, for some background I haven’t played Smash since the GameCube and I picked up Ultimate as I wanted to get back in to it. In Melee when I unlocked Marth I really enjoyed the character. When Ultimate came out I immediately gravitated towards him but I’ve having issues taking him in the online mode.

I’m not sure if it’s something I’m just not getting but I can’t seem to get the hang of him in the online play. Now lag aside it seems like I just can’t get his spacing right or set up kills with him. The more I play and try out other characters it seems like I’m getting worse with him.

Started playing ROB and Incineroar and my success with them is quickly surpassing Marth. Any advice or tips would be welcome, I really want to make him my main again and while I rock him in spirit battles, for the online mode I feel like I’ve hit a wall with him and I just can’t break past it.
The lag combined with a small-ass tipper in this game is a deadly combination. Unfortunately, unless he gets buffed, if you're having that much trouble with him you're better off with Lucina

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Others I've talked to IRL have had the same complaint about him just not feeling smooth enough. While the tipper is more or less the same difficulty as Smash 4 (most cases identical but with a few cases of it being easier and a couple cases of it being harder), everybody hits like a truck now. So to compensate, Marth needs to get tippers more often. And he doesn't have Uthrow kills or Jab combos anymore, so people more easily survive against Marth.

Moreover, tippers are the easiest in Melee making this feel even worse for you, Khalith.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah. There's growing pains every new Smash game for Marth mains, but right now that pain is so much worse when it seems just about everyone hits harder, comboes more, has safer and more reliable kill options etc etc.

Feels even worse when the more beginner friendly character seems strictly better in every way.

Khalith

Smash Rookie
I played Lucina a bit and did indeed have better luck with her. I appreciate the feedback in the thread as well! I’ve noticed how much more difficult it is to tip with him in Ultimate when I could consistently nail it in melee. It even seems like his range for nerfed as I distinctly remember being able to forward smash platforms above me. The arc is smaller than I remember it being.

He’s still my go to for WoL and spirit battles because it turns his forward smash in to an engine of destruction. But in multiplayer he’s just not doing what I need him to. I can reliably do better now with Rob and Incineroar but I REALLY wanted to play Marth again and I was looking forward to playing him again when I picked up the game. Ah well, I’ll just keep him as my PVE main and use other characters for PVP.

strider2k

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
8400-7096-5138
I felt Smash 4 was the turning point for me. It was pretty unreliable to get that tipper range compared to melee since we had combos and good methods to be in position. Granted that I'm more casual than in the past but having an easier character where you don't need to be within pixel perfect position, sure I'll take that any day.

Khalith

Smash Rookie
I felt Smash 4 was the turning point for me. It was pretty unreliable to get that tipper range compared to melee since we had combos and good methods to be in position. Granted that I'm more casual than in the past but having an easier character where you don't need to be within pixel perfect position, sure I'll take that any day.
I hadn’t realized how much changed since Melee with him, I loved the entire lore of him to. A quick, skilled, and graceful sword wielding prince that became a King. He’s still fast but the graceful reliable tipper seems like it’s gone for good. ☹

Fizz-sama™

Smash Rookie
I had this same problem coming from Brawl to Smash 4. All of my initial woes were immediately alleviated by picking up Lucina. It helps that Awakening is my favorite Fire Emblem, so I was gravitated to her anyways, but yeah she just felt better to me and I've stuck with her ever since. Maybe that would help in your situation as well? Worth a shot at least.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Drop Incineroar and proceed with the upgrade.

1FC0

Smash Lord
You mean Lucy?
I meant R.O.B.. I know what you are going through. I have the same. Probably because I main R.O.B. since SSBB but as soon as I pick up someone else I start performing worse. R.O.B. is the best there is no shame in picking the best.

SkyNeo426

Smash Rookie
idk in a recent discussion video it was said marth had become more footies since sapcing in the game requires u to walk most of the time. etheir u adapt or move on the choice is urs, ur not gonna be blamed fo it

Top Bottom