• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frostbite 2019 and Full Bloom 5 Trailers Released

Frostbite2019_FullBloom5.png

Two trailers for the highly anticipated tournaments, Frostbite 2019 and Full Bloom 5, dropped on October 7th during The Big House 8. These trailers also brought about the news that registration for both events is now open!

2019’s Frostbite will be held in Dearborn, Michigan on February 22nd to the 24th. The main events this time are none other than singles and doubles for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Rivals of Aether, but that isn’t all: a cosplay contest and events for trading card games, such as the Pokémon Trading Card Game, will also be available at Frostbite 2019. It will also feature special guests TierZoo, Jacob “Alpharad” Rabon IV and Akairiot. Registration for this event must be done online and in advance, as there is no on-site registration. There are also early bird price reductions for registering early. You can register right here, and trailer can be watched below.

Full Bloom 5 will occur on March 23rd to 24th in Bloomington, Indiana, featuring singles and doubles events for both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The Melee events will have UCF, and as with Frostbite 2019, all sign-ups have to be done online. There are also discounts for registering early, however it’s even more important to sign up early for Full Bloom 5 as the events have caps. Melee singles has a 352 entrant cap, Melee doubles has a 64 team cap, Smash Ultimate singles has a 128 person cap, and Smash Ultimate doubles is limited to 32 teams, although these are all subject to change. You can register on the smash.gg page, and the trailer is just below.

Author’s Note: Planning to go to either Frostbite 2019 or Full Bloom 5? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

It will not be held in Ann Arbor. It's going to be in Dearborn again.
Edit: Author edited the post; my work here is done

Last edited:
I know the comment section isn’t for questions, but I’m wondering if someone could tell me how upscale of a tournament FB5 would be? I want to enter into singles badly but I’m a major novice who doesn’t want to be embarrassed in an environment of skilled pro players. Maybe I should just play friendlies and spectate.

It will not be held in Ann Arbor. It's going to be in Dearborn again.
Edit: Author edited the post; my work here is done
Thank you! That was a really dumb mistake on my part, my bad.
Honestly though I'm really upset that I managed to not catch that, I have no idea how I didn't notice that mistake before I published it. Now I'm going to stop double checking and start triple or quadruple checking everything haha.
Wait.... they have UCF at tournaments? Is it possible to have UCF with a gamecube setup?
I know the current version of 20XXTE has it and you can get memory cards with 20XXTE installed that run on both the Wii and Gamecube, so I think so, although they seem to be out of stock at the moment. But yeah, I do have to wonder how you'd mod it yourself without buying/having the card for the Gamecube, for the Wii it's pretty easy to get it because of homebrew, but I have no idea if there's a easy way to mod the gamecube to have it.
I know the comment section isn’t for questions, but I’m wondering if someone could tell me how upscale of a tournament FB5 would be? I want to enter into singles badly but I’m a major novice who doesn’t want to be embarrassed in an environment of skilled pro players. Maybe I should just play friendlies and spectate.
I don't see many names I recognize yet but I'd expect some top level professionals to be there, Full Bloom 4 had players like Mang0, Hbox, Leffen, etc for Melee and it had some players like Anti, DarkShad, Samsora, etc for Smash 4. Either way though, I'm sure the level of play there is going to be really high, but I don't think you should worry about it, they've got amateur and novice brackets (For both Ultimate and Melee) if you get eliminated early and if you're new chances are that the skill gap between you and most players at even smaller events like locals would be large, it's normal and it's really nothing to be embarrassed about. Although yeah, if the thought of losing in bracket makes you feel uncomfortable there's nothing wrong with just playing friendlies, and from my experience playing friendlies can be really good for learning and improving at the game. Also don't worry, you can ask questions whenever, it's fine to ask them in the comments.

Last edited:
I don't see many names I recognize yet but I'd expect some top level professionals to be there, Full Bloom 4 had players like Mang0, Hbox, Leffen, etc for Melee and it had some players like Anti, DarkShad, Samsora, etc for Smash 4. Either way though, I'm sure the level of play there is going to be really high, but I don't think you should worry about it, they've got amateur and novice brackets (For both Ultimate and Melee) if you get eliminated early and if you're new chances are that the skill gap between you and most players at even smaller events like locals would be large, it's normal and it's really nothing to be embarrassed about. Although yeah, if the thought of losing in bracket makes you feel uncomfortable there's nothing wrong with just playing friendlies, and from my experience playing friendlies can be really good for learning and improving at the game. Also don't worry, you can ask questions whenever, it's fine to ask them in the comments.
Have you ever been to Full Bloom? I don’t know how to enter amateur or novice brackets. It seems you need to enter standard singles to even be allowed to enter, but I’m not sure. Do you know?

Have you ever been to Full Bloom? I don’t know how to enter amateur or novice brackets. It seems you need to enter standard singles to even be allowed to enter, but I’m not sure. Do you know?
Nah, I haven't been to any Full Bloom (although I'm thinking about going to this one). Anyway, I looked into it and for the amateur + novice brackets at Full Bloom 5, you'd have to play in singles and get close to getting out of your pool, people who get 5th and 7th place in their pools go into the amateur and novice brackets respectively. I always thought it was for people who went 0-2 or 1-2 because I never got into them, but it turns out the two regional tournaments that I went to and thought had amateur brackets actually never had any amateur brackets lol. So yeah, it's not as much of a security net as I thought it was because you'll likely need to beat a couple people to get into it (unless the pools are really small for some reason), although I'd still recommend trying out singles even if it's your first tournament or major. It's your choice though, please don't feel pressured into entering singles if you don't want too.

If that is the case, I would take some time to think because whether it is melee or ultimate that you are playing, it is you versus the best of the best. Being a premier tournament as well, it is a huge investment of time and money. Since it is in March however, you will have plenty of time to think and if you decide to go, prepare by attending locals. If you have any questions feel free to ask me I am going to be one of the TOs at the event!

If that is the case, I would take some time to think because whether it is melee or ultimate that you are playing, it is you versus the best of the best. Being a premier tournament as well, it is a huge investment of time and money. Since it is in March however, you will have plenty of time to think and if you decide to go, prepare by attending locals. If you have any questions feel free to ask me I am going to be one of the TOs at the event!
Sorry for the late reply. I’m already prepared to get destroyed, so this is more for exposure (also, it’ll be one of the few large tournaments I may ever get to go to, because most tournaments are just a little too far). I’m definitely playing Ultimate, because I’ve actually never gotten to have a chance to play Melee, and there are weeklies near me I’m planning on entering consistently to train. Since you’re a TO, I was wondering if you could briefly explain exactly how amateur and novice brackets operate. I’ve asked a lot of people, but I still don’t have a clear understanding of how to enter it (other than that you must compete in Singles first) in FB5.

Sorry for the late reply. I’m already prepared to get destroyed, so this is more for exposure (also, it’ll be one of the few large tournaments I may ever get to go to, because most tournaments are just a little too far). I’m definitely playing Ultimate, because I’ve actually never gotten to have a chance to play Melee, and there are weeklies near me I’m planning on entering consistently to train. Since you’re a TO, I was wondering if you could briefly explain exactly how amateur and novice brackets operate. I’ve asked a lot of people, but I still don’t have a clear understanding of how to enter it (other than that you must compete in Singles first) in FB5.
I am actually a first year TO and have limited info, but go to Smash.GG/FB5 and contact one of the Head TOs.

Top Bottom