• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From the depths of... that unpleaseant after-life place; The Cyberdemon rises!!!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Lately there has been talk that with Doom on the Switch and the need for a FPS/Western rep; many place the Doom Slayer character as the Doom rep. And rightfully so as he is the main character, still he is meant to be a nameless main character; so I have always felt that Doom´s rep should be the Cyberdemon.

But why the Cyberdemon?
As I mentioned in my Goro thread; people who usually have no idea on Mortal Kombat or videogames they do have some knowledge on Goro and quickly relate him to his game and the video game environment. Same thing happens with Cyberdemon, many people relate him to Doom even those who do not know much on videogames, making him iconic.

He is such a violent character! Nintendo will never let him in!
While maybe not as violent as many western characters, Bayonetta is in and she was tonned down. Plus many want Doom Slayer and MK characters and easily see them toned down to fit the Smash environment.

But he is too big!
For you. LOL well he really towers over Doom Slayer but I can easily see him re-sized to fit Smash. And he would play live a heavy non-agile version of Samus/Mii Gunner with maybe Ganondorf. A character with strong fire power, able to do far distance damage but a huge target to anyone near him.

His appearance is well... demonic... no way will he fit in a kid friendly game like smash!
OK you got me there. I really miss his classic appearance as he looked truly demonic. A source of true terror.

Though he has had several re-designs to loose his demonic appearance; which could work but I am not a fan of them.

You refer to the Cyberdemon as a single entity when there are several and are generic characters. Maybe more generic than Doom Slayer.
Yes, there are several Cyberdemons throughout the Doom series. But like I say, the Cyberdemon is an icon of Doom and video games. Such as in the way of Pikachu in Pokemon, Slime in Dragon Quest and Jack Frost in SMT. Though maybe not as small and cute as those mentioned characters.

Supporters:
SEGAGameBoy

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, the Cyberdemon is not necessarily my favorite demon from Doom, but I would actually be okay with this. I might even prefer it to Doom Guy just because it is visually distinct. At least it gets around the "muh realism" card. I would be a bit salty if we got a Cyberdemon before the KING of Demons, but whatever, it is not like either is ever going to happen.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I don't know about this. Not only would I prefer to see Doomguy in Smash before anyone else from the DOOM series, but also despite myself rather not wanting to play the "Ridley is too big" card usually, the Cyberdemon's size is such a important aspect of that creature and part of what makes them intimidating. It'd be so weird seeing one a size that's comparable to Donkey Kong.

That being said, if Doomguy/Doom Slayer is added into Smash, I could definitely see the Cyberdemon being an assist trophy.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Eh, I don't know about this. Not only would I prefer to see Doomguy in Smash before anyone else from the DOOM series, but also despite myself rather not wanting to play the "Ridley is too big" card usually, the Cyberdemon's size is such a important aspect of that creature and part of what makes them intimidating. It'd be so weird seeing one a size that's comparable to Donkey Kong.

That being said, if Doomguy/Doom Slayer is added into Smash, I could definitely see the Cyberdemon being an assist trophy.
Or it would be cool if he was a stage hazard, shooting at fighters.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not sure how I would take a resized Cyberdemon to be part of the playable cast, and I say that as one who wanted to play as him in Doom 2016's multiplayer, given all the other playable demons there were.

Design-wise, I'm kinda more partial to his Doom 3 incarnation. His 2016 look felt more generic, though his memorable kickass two-part boss fight made up for it.

For nonplayable roles, I'd definitely take assist trophy over stage hazard tbh. Cyberdemon's arguably the most iconic enemy boss of the whole 1st person genre, and would need to be included in some form if we got Doomguy at all.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Doom 3 for the original Xbox. But, I'm planning on getting Doom for my PS4. I support!

Top Bottom