• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frogger

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
This is seriously one of my favorite old retro games that's come out in forever and it keeps me entertained for hours on end

Who agrees with me?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If you start making threads for whatever game you think of, I will room ban you. This is your first and only warning.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hey, I would've gone to discuss this in the social thread, had that still been there, but since I can't, now I have to make these threads and hope people also like the game as well

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455

MIC EDIT: To clarify, this was in reply to talking about where to post small things of Zelda news in the LoZ room, not the Lighthouse.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I used to play the PSX port of Frogger all the time when I was younger. I'd always do the two-player mode with a friend of mine. The level where you have to travel on a highway against a vertical flow of traffic was awesome. Purple frog for the win.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Back on topic, I really liked Frogger when I was younger and I definitely agree that once you start playing it kinda locks you in and you don't want to stop...until you get yelled at or something. Are there any more current renditions?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
They made Frogger 3DS. Basically it sucked because of the way Frogger controlled and that he really wasn't made for the kinda game that one was

As a reviewer said in a video, why did Frogger cross the road? Because he hasn't been relevant in 3 ****ing decades

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hey, I would've gone to discuss this in the social thread, had that still been there, but since I can't, now I have to make these threads and hope people also like the game as well
No, you wouldn't. In all the posts on there, the word Frogger appears once. You be are being a difficult nuisance, and you continue your thinly veiled passive aggressive actions, I will remove you. Stop being a child.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Where would you recommend we discuss Frogger, should we, by chance, want to discuss Frogger if not for this topic?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
No, you wouldn't. In all the posts on there, the word Frogger appears once. You be are being a difficult nuisance, and you continue your thinly veiled passive aggressive actions, I will remove you. Stop being a child.
Actually I would've had you not interrupted the current line of discussion

Personally I find the Frogger series to be quite enthralling. It's the kind of game I like to play and sit down and just have a crack at having Frogger go from one end of the road all the way to his little pond on the other. I like to play this on my spare time and I can tell just having him do this over and over again keeps me more entertained than most other games these days, feeling accomplished when I get a high score. Hell, I even go up to my friends and tell them my score and then they try to beat my score on Frogger as well, and we all have a good laugh about the game. Even though the gameplay is much less than the gameplay of this day, at the same time it's much more, having the simple elegance and charm that most retro games of the time had that games of today lack. Days of old that I miss where I could just sit down, and play, and not have to worry about whether or not the voice cast of the game is good or not or if the music is everything that I wanted to be. Days where I didn't have to worry if the game was running on high end graphics and only had to worry if the game was a fun play. Days when they wouldn't give me like 20 different objectives at once that games like GTA and CoD give you, and just know what I have to do from the moment I sit down and start up the level. I also don't have to worry about whether or not I can afford the game because compared to now, games of back then are a lot cheaper.

In other words, Frogger has a deeper complexity that most people don't understand and like just because it's a game from back in the day that doesn't graphic ***** everything on the screen.

God Frogger was such a great game

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Where would you recommend we discuss Frogger, should we, by chance, want to discuss Frogger if not for this topic?
I don't think CK is saying you shouldn't discuss Frogger in this topic. He's only saying not to create a thread for every game you think of just to make a point about the fact that you want a social thread. If he didn't want you to discuss Frogger in this topic, I imagine he would have locked it.

---

On topic, I actually have the original Frogger for Atari, but I still haven't actually gotten around to playing it. My friend sold that -- along with a ton of other Atari 2600 games -- to me about two days before I moved into college, and I didn't bring my Atari with me to college. Kind of sucks, because I'm actually pretty interested in playing the game.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't think CK is saying you shouldn't discuss Frogger in this topic. He's only saying not to create a thread for every game you think of just to make a point about the fact that you want a social thread. If he didn't want you to discuss Frogger in this topic, I imagine he would have locked it.
But I honestly just really wanted to discuss Frogger in this thread. I'm just saying that I would've done it in a social thread had that been still open, but I'm more than happy to do it in threads since I have no where to talk about it. I'm not trying to push for the social thread to be re opened, I'm just playing a lot of games lately and I wanted to share my opinion of the game amongst my friends here. Nothing wrong with that is there?

And if you ask me the Colecovision version of Frogger is the best one imo

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I remember when I was younger, I would be really hesitant once I'd be in the middle, "Do I try and rush across? If I do, I might end up dying, but if I shift back I might not have another good opportunity!" Probably the #1 cause of my deaths.

Video games have been mindgaming me since then. Those were the days.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I say that if you want to talk about a specific game, try to mask your intentions by broadening the scope of the topic to include others from the same genre.

I dunno where Frogger originated, but I'm guessing it was originally an arcade game of some sort. So make an "Arcade Games" topic and then talk about Frogger, as well as other arcade games. Keeps the realm of discussion broad and accomplishes your original objective. Win-win. Just something to think about in the future.

Never played the original Frogger, but I did have a 3D Frogger kind of game for the PC years ago. Dunno what happened to it though.

:phone:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
They just need to make a $10 Frogger reboot that's just the same old gameplay, with a new art style or something, and put it on Phones/Wiiware/Live Arcade/Steam/etc. instead of trying to make full, $50 Frogger games now and then.

It worked for Megaman and Sonic, why not Frogger?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
They just need to make a $10 Frogger reboot that's just the same old gameplay, with a new art style or something, and put it on Phones/Wiiware/Live Arcade/Steam/etc. instead of trying to make full, $50 Frogger games now and then.

The problem is that Megaman and Sonic have still been relevant for the past 3 decades while Frogger hasn't.

It's like asking for people to make a game based off of the spaceship from space invaders, even though it hasn't done anything for 3 decades either

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

They tried to redo Frogger with a modicum of success, but the problem with the game is it really only works as it was made. When you add 3D levels, special abilities, etc. it made the game more about using that rather than looking for patterns and timing your movements perfectly.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I remember playing frogger at an arcade a few times, pretty fun game. They have like 100 different versions of the game now.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
They tried to redo Frogger with a modicum of success, but the problem with the game is it really only works as it was made. When you add 3D levels, special abilities, etc. it made the game more about using that rather than looking for patterns and timing your movements perfectly.
I'm saying they should use the old style of Frogger, give it a new more modern art style, and then make it a game. Let the maps get more and more complex than the old arcades allowed, etc.

I'm not saying they should go into a new dimention of ideas, they should take what they have and make it better. Honestly that would be a good game, especially if later levels got creative and difficult.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'm saying they should use the old style of Frogger, give it a new more modern art style, and then make it a game. Let the maps get more and more complex than the old arcades allowed, etc.

I'm not saying they should go into a new dimention of ideas, they should take what they have and make it better. Honestly that would be a good game, especially if later levels got creative and difficult.

I would pay real money for this. Real money.

Like I said, multiplayer on the PSX version was a huge part of my growing up. I'd love to see something similar made available now.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
♥ Man, I've always wanted to play Frogger, especially the PSX versions back when I was growing up, I never got a chance to play them but I hear they are amazing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They made a version of frogger in minecraft with pistons moving the logs in the water and minecarts instead of cars. I haven't tried it but it looked nice

Top Bottom