• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Friendship is Magic: Best/Favorite Support Pokemon

Top 3 Support Pokemon sets you use?

• Emolga/Fennekin

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Snivy/Lapras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frogadier/Eevee

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Cubone/Diglett

• Jirachi/Whimsicott

• Croagunk/Sylveon

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Pachirisu/Magikarp

• Mismagius/Ninetales

• Dragonite/Victini

• Espeon/Umbreon

• Farfetch'd/Electrode

• Magneton/Quagsire

• Reshiram/Cresselia

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Yveltal/Latios

• Rotom/Togekiss

• Total voters

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I really like the idea of the Support Pokémon in this game. Not only does it add another mechanic that sets Pokken apart from other fighting games, but it allows Pokémon that wouldn't really have a chance to be playable otherwise a chance in the spotlight. What support Pokémon do you normally choose and how do you use them effectively in the match?

Also I have a question: Is Pachirisu and Magikarp supposed to be a joke support set? They actually seem like decent moves if they didn't charge so slow.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
My favorite support set is Croagunk and Sylveon.

Since Croagunk gives a defense debuff to the opponent even if they block it, it is extremely useful against both close range fighters since it slows down the match by dissuading them from approaching and zoning characters since it can be used to control their movements and even lock them in the corner. Sylveon on the other hand recovers a small amount of health and buffs my defense. That may not seem very impressive, but that defense buff can often be the difference between surviving an opponent's burst attack and getting KOed by it. I've also used it when I've gotten a large life lead on my opponent just to make it more difficult to make a comeback.

P Pippin (Peregrin Took) I don't think that is the reason why Pachirisu and Magikarp have such long timers. The way that they were designed makes me believe that they were intended not as a way to get in on zoners or break combos so you don't get punished as hard for mistakes. Instead, I feel that they were intended to make the mid to late portion of each round easier.

If your opponent has a life lead and starts playing more defensively in order to force you to approach, then Pachirisu can be useful since it temporarily takes projectiles out of the equation, which can be useful if your character has better normals that the opponent. Magikarp on the other hand can be useful if you have a life lead on your opponent. It takes about 50 seconds for Magikarp to charge, and by then the chance for a time out to occur is high. If your opponent is behind on life, then Magikarp's ability to break combos can make it legitimately difficult for you opponent to cause any real damage to you if you are playing for a time out.

That is just my two cents on why I think the characters may have such long charfe times. If anybody disagrees or has a different opinion, feel free to add in.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Magikarp/Pachirisu are very niche/match up specific, but can most certainly be worth it, especially if paired up with either max Strategy (faster support charge time) and/or if paired up with fighters that can manually boost their Support gauge (Weavile/Braixen/Pika Libre).

If they didn't have Slow charge times, they'd be borderline ridiculous (Pachirisu's effect is greater than Whimsicott's, minus health boost)

-

Lately I've been switching out my 3rd support choice (went from Snivy/Lapras to Magneton/Quagsire to Farfetch'd/Electrode to now being Rotom/Togekiss). My 2nd support has always been Mismagius/Ninetales (being the one pair I had my eyes set on since they got revealed in the Arcade version), and my main set is Jirachi/Whimsicott. While having stat debuffs, disruptors/"get off me" buttons and attacks you can confirm off of is nice, I like that the versatility of the Enhance type supports carries over to numerous different fighters I play (:substitute: projectile shields for Machamp, constant Synergy enhancement for Gengar/Weavile, etc.), hence why they're my go-to set.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Thanks for the data on Magikarp. That vine video was epic in particular. I guess I just figured since both of them are very very low tiers in the actual game that this would be Namco's shoutout to the fans. But I also REALLY like rooting for the underdog so this is even better.

I tend to run Frogadier/Eevee with Frogadier in the first round (nice technique but not totally necessary) so I can take advantage of a fully charged Eevee alongside my burst (normal cheer skill). By this I mean either before or after, not usually during burst. This way I can keep the extra strength going and not let my opponent off the ropes. Thoughts?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Rotom/Togekiss seems to be missing from the list.

Magikarp/Pachirisu are very niche/match up specific, but can most certainly be worth it, especially if paired up with either max Strategy (faster support charge time) and/or if paired up with fighters that can manually boost their Support gauge (Weavile/Braixen/Pika Libre).

If they didn't have Slow charge times, they'd be borderline ridiculous (Pachirisu's effect is greater than Whimsicott's, minus health boost)

-

Lately I've been switching out my 3rd support choice (went from Snivy/Lapras to Magneton/Quagsire to Farfetch'd/Electrode to now being Rotom/Togekiss). My 2nd support has always been Mismagius/Ninetales (being the one pair I had my eyes set on since they got revealed in the Arcade version), and my main set is Jirachi/Whimsicott. While having stat debuffs, disruptors/"get off me" buttons and attacks you can confirm off of is nice, I like that the versatility of the Enhance type supports carries over to numerous different fighters I play (:substitute: projectile shields for Machamp, constant Synergy enhancement for Gengar/Weavile, etc.), hence why they're my go-to set.
Please enlighten me, what does Pachirisu do different from Whimsicott aside from having a larger area of effect? Because otherwise I fail to see the point of ever using the former, what difference does it make if projectiles get nullified further or closer if the end result is the same for both?

Top Bottom