• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Custom graphic t-shirts are overrated, challenge coins are where it's at. XD
Slam one of them down with Ike's face as Ike and you know you mean business.
T-Shirts aren't overrated.

Customs Shirts are op

Gingi

Smash Rookie
Hello I'm an Ike main who is looking for tips on how to get good with him. Where is a good place to start? Is there an Ike Facebook chat or something similar?

Last edited:

extrasensory

Smash Cadet
hey ike guys. i play a fair bit of this character in friendlies and am considering picking him up though im not sure how he would fit in with my current characters. in general, how does ike do against ryu and diddy (mostly interested in the former)? sorry if this is the wrong place but i couldnt see a stickied general questions therad.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
hey ike guys. i play a fair bit of this character in friendlies and am considering picking him up though im not sure how he would fit in with my current characters. in general, how does ike do against ryu and diddy (mostly interested in the former)? sorry if this is the wrong place but i couldnt see a stickied general questions therad.
it's not a favorable match up for against either character

Arrei

Smash Lord
Definitely disadvantaged against Diddy, but against Ryu they seem even to me. Ryu has difficulty getting in and securing the kill on someone with high reach, but Ike's single-hit attacks can be stymied by Focus Attack shenanigans. True Shoryuken is incredibly dangerous, but Ryu has no real answers against Eruption edgeguards. Both can be heavily punished for bad spacing, as well.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
According to most people on both sides of the MU, Ike vs Ryu is pretty even. Initial reaction was that Ike had the advantage actually.

Diddy is apparently disadvantaged. I think we should be able to get it even but I don't have anyone around who even touches the character so eh.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
Just had my first Smash tournament at Xanadu. Fairly happy with the results, going 2-2 with a 3DS.

The tournament organizer subsequently informed me that 3DS's would be banned starting the next tournament. What's a good alternative for me if the 3DS is what I'm used to?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Are they banning all wireless devices?

If so, you'll have to move to a GCN controller, otherwise I'd try out a GCN controller and a Pro controller.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
Yeah, seems like it. I'll probably go with a Pro Controller since I absolutely abhor the GCN controller. Does a wired pro controller exist?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
No. You'd have to take out the batteries and use a cord for it, if they don't allow that you HAVE to use GCN.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
No wonder I couldn't find a wired controller on Amazon...As someone who doesn't own a Wii U, that sucks! But hopefully the next time I go, the Pro controller without the batteries would be a green light. Thanks for the advice, d00d, I appreciate it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just dropping in to say that Ryo is my favorite Smasher.

No buffs for Ike this patch, but come one guys, how much more buff can Ike get?

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
I was honestly expecting a nerf, going with the adage of "prepare for the worst, hope for the best." I was pleasantly surprised when they did not touch him.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I was hoping for a small tweak to his D-air, but I wasn't expecting anything. Doesn't help me not feel slightly disappointed. I'll get over it.

Arrei

Smash Lord
More than that it miffs me that they gave what is essentially his old Dair to Cloud. *unintelligible gibbering*.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
More than that it miffs me that they gave what is essentially his old Dair to Cloud. *unintelligible gibbering*.
Forget that! What irks me the MOST about Cloud is that Cloud has our Ragnel beam... EVEN THOUGH Sakurai refused to give Ike his Ragnel beam for "balance reasons"... here we are, with Cloud having a similar metagame to Ike with said beam intact...

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Forget that! What irks me the MOST about Cloud is that Cloud has our Ragnel beam... EVEN THOUGH Sakurai refused to give Ike his Ragnel beam for "balance reasons"... here we are, with Cloud having a similar metagame to Ike with said beam intact...
Cloud can't KO for crap (without Limit Break) and has no grab game, his recovery without Limit Break is also worse. I think Cloud's fine, Ike will probably surpass him in tiers.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
Blade Beam sucks without Limit. Eruption is a fantastic edge-guarding tool, Counter makes certain matchups really sad and having no QD would be terrible. Cloud makes me glad that Ike didn't get a sword beam.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Don't get me wrong, I don't want Ike to be like Cloud! That's not what I said. It just bothers me that Masahiro went so long without giving Ike the projectile and then gave it to Cloud... color Blade Beam white and it even looks exactly like the projectile in FE10.

You guys are assuming that if Ike got the projectile, he would have ended up like Cloud. I'm not 100% sure that would be the case. Really, none of us knows for sure what could have been... I am merely expressing annoyance at the fact that a heavy swordsman finally got a projectile, and it wasn't Ike. Please don't misunderstand me.

I actually do think Ike is fine as-is. He doesn't really need a projectile, though it would help him a lot in the Ryu and Pikachu matchups... Anyway, my post has nothing to do with that.

Whether or not Ike is better than Cloud... I think Cloud has the potential to be better than Ike. Cloud's only weaknesses holding him back are his **** recovery and useless grabs. Cloud's combos (as shown by Izaw) are more impressive than Ike's. BUT, Ike is heavier and kills earlier (discounting Finishing Touch). So really, which character is better is going to depend heavily on what top players pick whom; who is pushing their meta? So I guess that means I feel like Ike-Cloud is a 50:50 right now.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
To add to others, Cloud also struggles with shield. Badly. Like pre-1.1.1 ZSS bad. Being not as safe on block combined with awful grab game means he's alot more likely to be shield camped. That's not good for his chances at viability.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
The one thing that I'm pretty jealous with Cloud right now is that he can use his Up-B to spike opponents while airborne and snap the ledge backwards. I always assumed Ike didn't have this ability due to balance, and seeing Cloud being able to pull it off makes me a little green.

I know Cloud's horizontal recovery options are putrid compared to Ike, so having this still 'balances' out here. But I'm still salty.

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
The one thing that I'm pretty jealous with Cloud right now is that he can use his Up-B to spike opponents while airborne and snap the ledge backwards. I always assumed Ike didn't have this ability due to balance, and seeing Cloud being able to pull it off makes me a little green.

I know Cloud's horizontal recovery options are putrid compared to Ike, so having this still 'balances' out here. But I'm still salty.
However, if Cloud wants to Up B spike, he has to do Up B when he's above ledge height. We can do it without starting Up B above the ledge which give us an advantage while recovering.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Eh, Ike's got recovery spike shenanigans going for him, which Cloud can only pull out with extreme bait. That and Climhazzard both being even more temperamental about linking into the spike than Aether is, and being several multitudes more exploitable for gimping really takes the edge off. Had a Marth make a fool of Cloud yesterday just grabbing onto the ledge and ledge releasing Counter to thwart his recovery. Mixing up the timing and doing a reverse Climhazzard worked the next time but that's still mega dangerous.

Plus as long as Cloud doesn't get a throw that can easily link into a Climhazzard at the edge like Ike's Dthrow and Uthrow can with improper DI, it probably is still for balance.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm surprised they never at least gave sword beams to Ike's jab3, fsmash, usmash and maybe Aether. It would reference RD where Ike only shoots sword beams by hitting Ragnell along the ground as opposed to PoR where he just swung the sword. Granted, from what pegasus and horse riding units show in RD, the 'hitting' the ground bit isn't necessary but Ike does it regardless. Wouldn't even have to be op. The jab beam would just tack on a bit of damage so long as the sword of jab3 sent them horizontally, fsmash and usmash beam would increase in range as they charge and would be similar to the shockwave D3 has on his fsmash and Aether doesn't even have a sword beam in PoR or RD. I at least wish Ike could do a rising strike after landing with Aether much like he does in RD. Least he gets a sword beam through a custom.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
It's not hitting the ground, it's just a downward swing really. All of the ranged sword animations are just the down swing animations for each unit.

Also, your wording of hitting along the ground made me imagine Ike dragging Ragnell across the ground while sparks fly out of it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
It's not hitting the ground, it's just a downward swing really. All of the ranged sword animations are just the down swing animations for each unit.

Also, your wording of hitting along the ground made me imagine Ike dragging Ragnell across the ground while sparks fly out of it.
Well, my point still stands then though if we use your wording then fair could be added as a move that could have sword beams. Maybe dair too. But no, no sword beams for Ike because 'balancing reasons'.

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
I'm surprised they never at least gave sword beams to Ike's jab3, fsmash, usmash and maybe Aether. It would reference RD where Ike only shoots sword beams by hitting Ragnell along the ground as opposed to PoR where he just swung the sword. Granted, from what pegasus and horse riding units show in RD, the 'hitting' the ground bit isn't necessary but Ike does it regardless. Wouldn't even have to be op. The jab beam would just tack on a bit of damage so long as the sword of jab3 sent them horizontally, fsmash and usmash beam would increase in range as they charge and would be similar to the shockwave D3 has on his fsmash and Aether doesn't even have a sword beam in PoR or RD. I at least wish Ike could do a rising strike after landing with Aether much like he does in RD. Least he gets a sword beam through a custom.
Btw aether does have a sword beam itself in both games. Just attack a unit from a distance and hope for aether to activate...
Though imo Uspecial fits this quite good.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Btw aether does have a sword beam itself in both games. Just attack a unit from a distance and hope for aether to activate...
Though imo Uspecial fits this quite good.
Really? Through all of my playthroughs of RD I've never seen long range Aether go off. And I've done like a dozen playthroughs

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah, me neither. Aether only triggers off close-range attacks in PoR and RD. It became able to trigger off of ranged attacks in Awakening, but the animation there is simply using the weapon-toss animation twice in a row.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Aether activating at range is actually a glitch, IIRC. If you go to the prison trial map in PoR you can attempt to break one of the doors with Ike and if Aether activates, it'll actually loop the animation for a minute or two before the door finally breaks. I think they forgot to take it out of map animations, so unless you have battle animations on, you won't really be seeing it.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Y'know, as unlikely as it is that Ike's going to receive any further buffs, and as used as we've gotten to simply pretending the man doesn't even have an FSmash, the DLC has got me thinking that the move desperately needs some buffing. It's been no secret that it's awful as the slowest smash in the game with far from the highest power, but I've come to notice the waves of DLC are making it look even worse. Roy got one with much more usability and tons of kill power while Ryu got one with high reach, Cloud got one that outranges it, lasts a long time, and is a disjoint, and Corrin's going to get what looks like the longest Fsmash on the roster, with a tipper mechanic even to reward max range hits instead of punishing them like with Ike's. With more and more characters getting Fsmashes with superior attributes its shortcomings in range, power, and speed are getting more obvious than ever.

Hell, I'd love if they just copied the animations for Roy's FSmash or the first hit of Cloud's FSmash frame for frame and gave it to Ike with different attack data. Both even heft their swords behind them before making one heavy cleave, why does Ike take a hundred years to pull his off?

Last edited:
Top Bottom