• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Finally at the last social of my main 6 with Ike being one of the 3 I've been too lazy to go to until today. Went to the MK, D3 and Ganon boards relatively quickly but for whatever reason I never felt the need to go to the Ike, Kirby or R.O.B. boards :/.

I don't go to tournaments and if I ever do go to any I can see myself using mostly R.O.B., Kirby and MK with D3 being used maybe every now and then...and that's where I'd end it if it weren't for the patch. Pre-patch I didn't see much use using Ike or Ganon in a tournament compared to my other options and D3 is barely an option since he controls space nicely and has damn good survivability. Thanks to the patch though, I may actually consider using Ike for certain match ups if I ever go to tournaments.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It used to be really good for just following up and sweeping Luma off the stage after hitting it with a jab combo or Ftilt, but it was risky since Rosalina would easily be ready to block and punish you afterward. It might be even better now that it's faster.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Anyone want to do some 3DS matches? Or Wii U doesn't really matter

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I'm loving how dash attack can kill now.

I've been wanting that buff for a while now. I'm ok with the ftilt nerf, it still kills and it's easier to spam punish with it.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I would say Ryo since he kinda started an Ike boom during early launch days.
Right now, I have no clue.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
It's really annoying trying to get in on Link. But once you're in he's pretty easy to deal with.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It's Toon Link that really annoys me, because he can camp the ledge and kill you with Bthrow, but the both of them basically shut down aerial approaches with projectile spam and shield grabbing, forcing us to find ways to outsmart them.

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
I think Link wins the Ike match-up, though not necessarily by a huge margin. Ike has trouble getting around Link's projectiles, and Link's grab can punish you easily if you don't space yourself well (even moreseo now, as in 1.08 Link's grab range was close to doubled). And Link is very safe on his pokes as well, and his sword range (I feel) can compete with Ike's (on top of z-air). You just gotta be patient, play safe, and work your way in. Once you get in on Link it can be a real struggle until they find some way to reset things back to neutral.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
What do you guys think of Link VS Ike?
Link is probably my most fought character. If this match-up was based on the 1.0.4 update, where Link used to have his Jab Cancel, I would have said Link wins; however, that got nerfed in 1.0.6. That alone made Link far less threatening, in my opinion.

Now, in 1.0.8., both characters are buffed considerably, especially Ike. With this, I am convinced to say it is even.

To analyze both of their attributes from a Link's perspective, assuming non-customs environment:

+ Link has projectiles (obviously), plus Z-air
+ N-air's lingering hitbox is useful off-stage for gimping; B-air is also useful offstage for stage-spiking
+ U-air can frame trap and destroy air dodges
+ Second hit of D-smash sends his opponents at a nasty angle
+ Spin Attack buffed start-up frames make it a better OoS option
+ Whatever Bomb tricks Link has left

* Both characters are fairly heavy, with Ike being heavier; prolonging their survivability and allowing them to make good use of rage
* Both characters can hit quite hard, with Ike hitting a bit harder on some attacks
* Both characters have two recovery options, allowing them to mix up their recoveries

- Link's Grab being a tether grab makes it more punishable than Ike's if it whiffs
- Ike's Jab comes out faster than Link's, frame 4 as opposed to frame 6, I think
- Link lacks SH auto-cancelled aerials (B-air?), compared to Ike (correct me if I'm wrong)
- Outside of projectiles, Ike slightly out-ranges Link
- Ike's F-air hitbox buff allows it to true combo more easily from U-throw at higher percentages, and can kill Link near the ledges
- Ike's vastly improved Dash Attack, being faster and now rivals Link's in damage, greatly helps Ike's mid-range game; this will also kill Link near the ledges, and will kill him even earlier with rage

I will elaborate on all of this at a later time. By the way, @ link and ike lover link and ike lover . Don't forget to also visit the Link vs. Ike thread I've started in the Link boards.

And as Arrei said, I find Toon Link much harder.

^-^

Last edited:

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Are we considering customs in this as well? Because I think meteor bombs will screw over Ike pretty hard. Since he doesn't snap to the ledge with up b, Link just needs to pull a meteor bomb, jump over you while Ike's spinning in place and throw it down on you. Repeat until you're dead.

Unless Ike has armor at that point but I don't recall that being the case.

Of course, with customs Ike also gets Close Combat, which helps him a bit in the range game as it clashes with every projectile Link has (including bombs, I think)

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Got 7th out of 61(out of 32 if only counting pro bracket) at NYC's biggest local series, first time I played in a tournament with pools. Pretty neat. Got 2nd seed in my pool losing only to Will. In bracket, I lost to John Numbers' Wii Fit and MikeKirby's...Kirby.
Honestly, I haven't been in touch in with the scene in about 5-6 months so I made questionable choices on what stages to take/ban these weird ass characters. /johns
I did learn though, which is what matters.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Are we considering customs in this as well? Because I think meteor bombs will screw over Ike pretty hard. Since he doesn't snap to the ledge with up b, Link just needs to pull a meteor bomb, jump over you while Ike's spinning in place and throw it down on you. Repeat until you're dead.

Of course, with customs Ike also gets Close Combat, which helps him a bit in the range game as it clashes with every projectile Link has (including bombs, I think)
Indeed it clashes. Link's bomb is considered an item with HP, so it's also affected by windboxes. Close combat only deals 4% at the start and 3% at the end. Meteor bombs also aren't very strong until really high percents. Ike can also try to super armor the bombs, destroy them with aether, hug the underside, or try to snap from farther away depending on the bomb position. Of course, just using side B to recover is the easiest with little risk.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
up throw Fair is dirty.

I can get it guaranteed till like 70-80 on big heavy characters, leading to massive 20 damage on every grab that I get. With a couple of reads the damage racks up very fast and leads into kill percent. F-Tilt becomes an actual punish and can edgeguard with the downward variant and can be used like in PM to swat people recovering. Dash Attack becomes this awesome kill move that hits as fast as our F-Tilt and can punish moves OoS.

I'm really liking this version of Ike.

Arrei

Smash Lord

On the other hand, there's a good chance Ike is running Aether Wave instead, which would cut down on Link's window of opportunity to do that. Although, if Ike's running Aether Drive instead, one meteor bomb might be enough to end him...

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
So, I was playing around on FG testing buffed Ike and I found that an Aether to the edge can be a very useful tool for catching that frame one invincibility when snapping the ledge and can condition recovering. In fact, after patch if we hit someone with Aether there's no risk they fall out thank to the new suck in property and the only risk is a ledge get up situation if the opponent react fast enough, but I think it's definitly Worth it considering that if we catch them it's a one hit KO. Also we can condition to recover high and gimp easily with Fair/Bair. What do you think about that?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

This is the most hype thing ever.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I know it was discussed somewhere at some point, but how do you Crouch Cancel Ike's Jab 1 and Jab 2?
With attack stick: hold down and manually tap diagonally on the c-stick. You have to time it.

without: either just hold crouch or some other action and manually tap A after releasing down from the control stick
or hold a specific position on the control stick diagonally down+forward and tap A.

jab->dtilt is one of his better followups, so we don't have to worry much about it.

The difference from Brawl is that it cannot be buffered.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I have trouble getting jab 1 -> d-tilt to link properly. Is there a specific damage percent when it starts working or am I just not getting the timing right on it?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have trouble getting jab 1 -> d-tilt to link properly. Is there a specific damage percent when it starts working or am I just not getting the timing right on it?
It's based on the floatiness of the character. It's a little easier on characters like Pikachu, Mario, and Sonic, but characters like Sheik need to be jabbed in the air and/or Ike needs to have high rage. It'll almost never work on characters like Fox. After a while, you'll be able to tell if you can get the dtilt based on how high they pop up. You want to dtilt the vulnerable frames from landing (~2-4 iirc).

Prepatch, nair->jab->dtilt was a common string I used to use at low %, but not nair just combos into dtilt.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Speedy or long-ranged characters can still punish whiffs, so it's not a very good habit to get into, I think.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's a decent option to try once in a great while if their back is to the edge and they're at kill percents.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I dragged a Bowser offstage with a U-throw -> Aether and killed us both today.

I laughed like a hyena when I pulled it off.

Truly, backwards snap Aether would be one of the most overpowered moves in this game.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I dragged a Bowser offstage with a U-throw -> Aether and killed us both today.

I laughed like a hyena when I pulled it off.

Truly, backwards snap Aether would be one of the most overpowered moves in this game.
I do this all the time. If I'm a stock ahead, I'll go for an Aethercide. So satisfying.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ryo putting in work in doubles with the craziest team people could think of, Ike/Mac

Top Bottom