• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Friday Fray - October 18th, 2013 - Oak Park, IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
FORMERLY FREE TOURNAMENT FRIDAY

Friday Fray is a BIWEEKLY event!

Events
Brawl Singles @ 7pm
Melee Singles @ 8pm
PM Singles @ 9pm

***We seed the Friday tournaments by looking at the results from our previous singles tournaments and seed all who participated in the past accordingly.

Price
$5 venue fee

Melee - $2 pot fee
PM - $2 pot fee
Brawl - $2 pot fee

Payout
1st - 70%
2nd - 30%

If 10 participants
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Venue Rule for tourneys:
-If you are called for a match you will have 5min. to be at the appropriate setup otherwise you forfeit the set.

EXP opens @ 5pm
Feel free to come at ANYTIME as casual play is allowed from open to close (5pm-12am).
We have over 100 games to choose from!
We ALLOW outside food and drink.
Feel free to bring your own pad, stick, console, monitor, or games.

SETUPS ARE APPRECIATED!

*There may not be singles in ALL games each week. It depends on the TO staff, players’ demand, & # of setups.

Also check out EXP’s Wavedash Wednesdays
http://smashboards.com/threads/wavedash-wednesday-july-24th-2013-oak-park-il.334381/

EXP Gaming
6441 North Ave. Suite 102
Oak Park, IL 60302
(708) 613-4609
https://www.facebook.com/EXPgamingIL

metroid1117

Smash Master
How was the turnout for this? I was originally planning to come to this Friday's tournament, but if there were more people at Wavedash Wednesday, I'd rather go to that instead.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
The turnout is always low for new events. The first 2 Wavedash Wednesdays had a turnout of just 1 person. Now we have big brackets regularly.
I am adding a smash ladder side event to hopefully attract additional players.

GokzhuL

Smash Rookie
Just bought a gamecube and melee, good to know there are tournaments nearby where I live. Perhaps I will stop by within a few weeks

GokzhuL

Smash Rookie
What's the player level over there? I've only had SSBM for about a week and don't wanna feel completely out-leagued

azzucips

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azzucips
3DS FC
1461-6305-7845
Hey I'm just posting here so I get alerts later

What did 2nd and 1st place get?

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Hello. Newcomer here. What should I do to sign up? I've never entered any tournament for any video game before, so I'm wondering if I could just come to play friendlies instead of participating in tournaments, and possibly learn new things from people.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Hello. Newcomer here. What should I do to sign up? I've never entered any tournament for any video game before, so I'm wondering if I could just come to play friendlies instead of participating in tournaments, and possibly learn new things from people.
Just show up and sign up at the venue. You may come for just friendlies.
We won't be hosting a weekly tournament this Friday 9/27/13 as it is the day before our MONTHLY tournament: http://smashboards.com/threads/expo...r-28th-2013-oak-park-il.338100/#post-15842520

Instead this Friday 9/27/13 will be our usual $1 day (everyone pays only $1 for play time from open to close). Still a good day to come by for friendlies and practice.

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Just show up and sign up at the venue. You may come for just friendlies.
We won't be hosting a weekly tournament this Friday 9/27/13 as it is the day before our MONTHLY tournament: http://smashboards.com/threads/expo...r-28th-2013-oak-park-il.338100/#post-15842520

Instead this Friday 9/27/13 will be our usual $1 day (everyone pays only $1 for play time from open to close). Still a good day to come by for friendlies and practice.

Oh so I can just come by any day for friendlies? Although, will there just not as many people as there would be during a tournament?

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Oh so I can just come by any day for friendlies? Although, will there just not as many people as there would be during a tournament?
Yes EXP Gaming is a gaming lounge open Tues-Sat. 5pm-12am feel free to come by anytime we are open.
There's always a small or large crowd of Smash players on Fridays & Wednesdays
http://smashboards.com/threads/wave...r-18th-2013-oak-park-il.334381/#post-15344150

For a HUGE day of Smash come by for our monthly tournament: http://smashboards.com/threads/exposure-iii-siiingles-september-28th-2013-oak-park-il.338100/

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
I'd probably come by friday for some PM friendlies Octorok, I have no idea about anyone else though
Okay cool! If that's the case I'll definitely come Friday. Just so you know I'm very new to both Melee and PM, so I probably won't be much of a match for you. I may also bring a friend but he isn't very good either.

Yes EXP Gaming is a gaming lounge open Tues-Sat. 5pm-12am feel free to come by anytime we are open.
There's always a small or large crowd of Smash players on Fridays & Wednesdays
http://smashboards.com/threads/wave...r-18th-2013-oak-park-il.334381/#post-15344150

For a HUGE day of Smash come by for our monthly tournament: http://smashboards.com/threads/exposure-iii-siiingles-september-28th-2013-oak-park-il.338100/

Okay well since these events require money to attend and I don't have a job yet, I'll probably be going on days where it only costs a dollar to come in. I'm really not trying to be cheap. It's just that I currently have no monetary gains and I don't want to spend my parents' money on tournaments I'll most likely lose. When I feel more confident in my gameplay I may enter your tournaments even if I don't have a job by then.

Also, I know this is a Smash forum but I heard you hold tournaments for UMvC3 on Thursdays. Where can I find info for those tournaments?

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Weekly UMVC3 tournaments are on Saturdays.
$5 venue fee, $5 tournament fee.
Double Elimination, All sets best of 5.

Okay thanks! Do Tuesdays and Thursdays not have tournaments? Because I would like to practice with friendlies on a fairly regular basis, and you said times outside of tournaments are only a $1 entry.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Okay thanks! Do Tuesdays and Thursdays not have tournaments? Because I would like to practice with friendlies on a fairly regular basis, and you said times outside of tournaments are only a $1 entry.
The DAY BEFORE OUR MONTHLY TOURNAMENT is $1 venue fee day. Thus $1 venue fee day only happens once a month. Sorry for any confusion.

Sugahighsnipa

Smash Cadet
Okay cool! If that's the case I'll definitely come Friday. Just so you know I'm very new to both Melee and PM, so I probably won't be much of a match for you. I may also bring a friend but he isn't very good either.
Haha I've actually only gone to one tournament or any sort of smashfest before, and it was a Wavedash Wednesday a while back. I didn't do all too great so don't worry about skill level

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
The DAY BEFORE OUR MONTHLY TOURNAMENT is $1 venue fee day. Thus $1 venue fee day only happens once a month. Sorry for any confusion.

Oh okay. So if I understand you correctly, the price doesn't matter when I go except for monthly tournaments and the day before said tournament.

Haha I've actually only gone to one tournament or any sort of smashfest before, and it was a Wavedash Wednesday a while back. I didn't do all too great so don't worry about skill level

Oh okay. I guess my friend and I won't have much to worry about then. :p

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Just came back from today's meet up and I'd like to say I really enjoyed myself. I've never actually faced anyone who is significantly better than I am. Back when I was playing Brawl I only had my one friend to practice with and we were relatively the same skill level. I would also play online but I would always lag. It was pretty cool to see my ass kicked so hard in the game lol.

I would love to come to the tournament Saturday but I just found out my whole Sunday will be booked for an outing with my family since my brother came home from college after finishing his first quarter, so I want to use Saturday to finish my studies. I plan on coming next Friday though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom