• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fresh Moves Discussion - Splat Roller

GameQ

Smash Cadet
What up my fresh Squids! Smash Ultimate may only be a day old by it's never to early to kick off discussions about fresh combos and follow ups!

In my first few hours with the Inkling, the move that has me the most perplexed is the Side Special, Splat Roller! Moving across the stage at a decent clip and burying any foes in your way is a tool every squid should love, but what do we do afterwards? I find it hard to stop and follow up. Should this be reserved for only higher percent opponents to keep them in the ground longer for a follow up? Is there good air use? What are your thought and strats with this to roll to victory?

skater11

Smash Rookie
I would like a video, as I am a beginner and would like to improve my gameplay as a tournament player. But also, for fun and enjoyment.
EDIT: Apparently there's side B tech chasing (Video at 0:47), which at this moment. I don't know how it works, but it sounds like something that could potentially be very good.

Last edited:

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
Toying around with it, Roller can be cancelled with B or jump. At low %s, it's best to go for rapid jab to stack ink early, plus is knocks them away so you can follow up with bombs or reload or whatever you might want. High percents, no reason not to just go for an usmash. Charge accordingly.

Not worth using for recovery, it seems. It doesn't increase move speed any, and you gotta wait a bit to act out of it again. Squid jump is really good as-is anyhow.

Best used for tech chases. Super high reward if it hits. I can't wait to see how this move will be used in high level play.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would like a video, as I am a beginner and would like to improve my gameplay as a tournament player. But also, for fun and enjoyment.
EDIT: Apparently there's side B tech chasing (Video at 0:47), which at this moment. I don't know how it works, but it sounds like something that could potentially be very good.
I... am so bad at executing any of these haha

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
This is very impressive tech and excellent inspiration for wanting to main the character.

I for the life of me can't get the timing down for the down throw followed by double nairs for the life of me at around the 1 minute mark. Can you break this down in depth?

What's the timing here?
Is the second nair after or before Chom lands?
Does this work on any character weight?
What is the general percent range when this would work?
If you were to break the combo down in steps, how would you recommend I practice it?

Top Bottom