• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Free the miis and Palutena

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
With the recent up rise of the free the miis movement I would like to bring up Palutena in this case as in basically every single way she is at her core like the miis when it comes to designing her moveset around her alternative specials. Does anyone think that there is a way to potentially one day free Palutena? Considering that she was designed around this concept. It is made extremely undeniably explicit in her trailer and following summary from sakurai. unlike every other character in the game bar miis she has completely 100% original customs per move. They are ALL unlocked from the start and none of them are "jank" or "broken". She provides absolutely no logistical problems and like the miis her core design is completely designed around these. Shes bascially another form of mii in almost every way in terms of her special moves options. I am a TO and Im currently working towards getting her free in my area (tho I am facing all kinds of s*** for it) so I was wondering what the Palutena players thought of this.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
I think it's perfectly fine to accept custom Palutena and miis and since you're the TO you make the rule set. Xanado has already allowed custom miis but I don't know if Palutena is allowed too. Basically it works if the characters are allowed one custom set to use over the default set that the community of the character is agreed on. We haven't made a single custom set though but we're currently working on it in one of the other minor treads. I think it's pretty much a debate on weather we want explosive flame or AR or something.

Last edited:

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
My eyes are glossing over. Palutena's a special case from the rest of the cast specifically because all of her customs are unlocked from the start like the miis. Not allowing her customs is silly.

Don't know who calls the shots on these things but whatever man~

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Its just one step at a time. I dont play the character but by looking at her side by side with the miis I find it super silly that she gets her customs banned and no one seems to ever bring her up when currently Miis are being considered to be allowed everything they have to offer. It just seems odd to me to exclude her when like the miis she was designed with customization in mind.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Its just one step at a time. I dont play the character but by looking at her side by side with the miis I find it super silly that she gets her customs banned and no one seems to ever bring her up when currently Miis are being considered to be allowed everything they have to offer. It just seems odd to me to exclude her when like the miis she was designed with customization in mind.
It's just because people are super fixated on the fact that the game let's the Miis use their customs when customs are off while it doesn't give such honors to Palutena. That's the only main reason why she's always so ignored in these arguments.

UniStar

Smash Rookie
I completely agree. Palutena was made to use her customs. She was even shown using her customs in her reveal tralier. Unlike many characters whose customs change the properties of the special move, Palutena's customs are completely separate moves. #FreePalu

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Do you all think custom Palutena could potentially get the Bayonetta-hate treatment if she was allowed in tournament? I'm mostly pointing at her Lightweight move. It's just something I've thought about it. Even if Palutena mains don't think it's OP or unfair, I feel like if it was allowed in tournament then overtime some people wouldn't be pleased with it. I just would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything.

UniStar

Smash Rookie
Do you all think custom Palutena could potentially get the Bayonetta-hate treatment if she was allowed in tournament? I'm mostly pointing at her Lightweight move. It's just something I've thought about it. Even if Palutena mains don't think it's OP or unfair, I feel like if it was allowed in tournament then overtime some people wouldn't be pleased with it. I just would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything.
Well Custom Palu doesn't have a guaranteed Zero-to-death on the whole cast. I think that it would spice up the game. It would be no worse than facing sonic when it comes to speed and Lightweight has its downfalls because of the decreased weight and the lower defense. I personally think that most people wouldn't mind. The problem is getting TO's to do this wide spread.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
If you want Miis and Custom Palutena to be accepted by everyone, you'll have to get customs accepted by everyone first.

I and many others said this before, but having customs banned and having Miis and Custom Palutena allowed is a very strange idea. It'll only cause a ruckus in the community if this actually does happen.

A lot of people also say Palutena was designed with customs in mind. Perhaps this is correct, but just saying that "her moves are unlocked at the start of the game" is not a strong-enough point to support this idea.

If you think Palutena is unviable without her customs, don't use her and pick up other characters that you think you can win with.

Razberri

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lauqette
3DS FC
1950-7806-5040
If you want Miis and Custom Palutena to be accepted by everyone, you'll have to get customs accepted by everyone first.

I and many others said this before, but having customs banned and having Miis and Custom Palutena allowed is a very strange idea. It'll only cause a ruckus in the community if this actually does happen.

A lot of people also say Palutena was designed with customs in mind. Perhaps this is correct, but just saying that "her moves are unlocked at the start of the game" is not a strong-enough point to support this idea.

If you think Palutena is unviable without her customs, don't use her and pick up other characters that you think you can win with.
If your answer to someone wanting to have characters be on equal ground is to get rid of characters that are unique, then you're really only proving my point that you're just afraid of another character being viable in the meta.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
If your answer to someone wanting to have characters be on equal ground is to get rid of characters that are unique, then you're really only proving my point that you're just afraid of another character being viable in the meta.
?

I never said Palutena was unviable. I was just saying that if people think she cannot manage to compete in this meta without her customs, then they should probably not use her and use other characters.

If you think customs is the only way Palutena can ever go toe-to-toe with other good characters, then you should most likely not use her if you're seriously trying to win, since customs are banned in pretty much nearly everywhere in the world.

Last edited:

NarayanK

Smash Cadet
then you're really only proving my point that you're just afraid of another character being viable in the meta.
So he's afraid of Palutena being viable when he's talking about you.

---------------------------------

IMO the main thing Palu players say when they want her customs to be exclusively allowed to her is that they were shown in the trailer and that they were indirectly "approved." But Sakurai himself admits he doesn't care about balancing customs too much, as seen in this article on balancing issues.

In this article, Sakurai specifically states (from an English translation) when asked,

"That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?"

Sakurai: "When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*"

His stance on customization in general is why most tournaments do not allow Palutena's customs- or anyone's customs, to be exact; it's viewed as "cheating," or so he says, and is thus a part of his stance on casual plays. This isn't my personal stance on customs, but what I listed is pretty much one of the main reasons why people are still debating (albeit mostly in a negative way) on whether customs should be legal or not. Some tournaments choose to be different than others, but that doesn't mean all of them will agree with the same stance unless directly stated by the game developers, which isn't happening any sooner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom