• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fraymakers - an indie crossover platform fighter from the people behind the Super Smash Flash games

Which character are you most looking forward to?

• Ultra Fishbunjin 3000

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Welltaro

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Orcane

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Commander Video

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Octodad

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • The Watcher

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Some early opinions:

The game controls great, even on keyboard, I like that as i dont need to go through the difficulty of installing a controller on Steam.

The game's graphics are pretty good, obviously there is some unfinished stuff but I do belive that the current artsyle is pretty good.

Opportunity for single player content, I think this game would have a good opportunity to include a smash run esc mode, considering that the creators also made super smash flash I am hopeful they will include such a mode.

If my art skills weren't so down the toilet I would be modding the game right now, Fraytools allows great opportunities to add infinite content, I'm excited for any new potential characters and hopefully even bosses they would add.

Overall 8/10, great for such an early state

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Got the game a while back, probably gonna try to be good with Welltaro even though I've hardly scratched the surface of Downwell itself. I will see about the assist options later.

I'm down for this, would Isaac from binding of isaac be in this roster
I don't know TBOI's current legal status but I think they're trying to avoid working with Nicalis, which is totally understandable.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Wishlist.png

Here's my list of indie reps for fraymakers. Tried to keep the super obscure ones as assists. P/ Walter Tugnut might be owned by ubisoft, I'm not sure but I put him up there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Here's my list of indie reps for fraymakers. Tried to keep the super obscure ones as assists. P/ Walter Tugnut might be owned by ubisoft, I'm not sure but I put him up there.
I know the first one is from Spelunky 2, the third one is from Dust: An Elysian Tail, and I'm pretty sure the fourth one is from DiveKick, but who are the second and fifth ones?

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I know the first one is from Spelunky 2, the third one is from Dust: An Elysian Tail, and I'm pretty sure the fourth one is from DiveKick, but who are the second and fifth ones?
Loam from Doubleshake (not finished) and Arhu from the Divinity series

Edit: I would also like a Galaxy of Mahjong stage. Probably my most played indie game.

Edit Edit: There's a demo for doubleshake. I got 8 hours of gameplay in before completing it and I didn't even 100% it. Its inspired by Mischief Maker, Tomba and Klanoa

Last edited:

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
Been a while since I've posted anything on smashboards
I've been fraymaking recently
It's fun, and more people should check out the custom content

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Have there been any new characters since the release
Quite a bit of progress has been made on Fishbunjin, and he's in a playable state (though I don't think he's released yet), leaving only one currently-announced playable character left. (the Watcher)

(I didn't embed it because embedding tweets hasn't been working since Twitter was inexplicably rebranded to "X")

No brand new characters have been announced yet, but the game's still in early access.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
From a cursory look at the game, I'm starting to think Fraymakers has shot itself in the foot by having its style of spritework. Not only does it put pressure on McLeod's artists to make sure the other vanilla characters are up to the same standards, but also on the Workshoppers that the game and its associated tools are supposed to be friendly to.

It really says something Rivals of Aether's Workshop community is so massive while Smash Crusade's modding community has also seen a lot of growth with much less detail on their respective vanilla characters' sprites.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
From a cursory look at the game, I'm starting to think Fraymakers has shot itself in the foot by having its style of spritework. Not only does it put pressure on McLeod's artists to make sure the other vanilla characters are up to the same standards, but also on the Workshoppers that the game and its associated tools are supposed to be friendly to.

It really says something Rivals of Aether's Workshop community is so massive while Smash Crusade's modding community has also seen a lot of growth with much less detail on their respective vanilla characters' sprites.
I LOVE Fraymakers' sprite style, but making a game with that style an early access workshop game was a terrible idea - I guess making it a kickstarter project instead of funding it through other projects is a necessary evil when you aren't allowed to profit off of the Smash Flash series even indirectly and nobody gives a hoot about a "Yeah Jam Fury", and workshop comes from that due to EA content droughts.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I LOVE Fraymakers' sprite style, but making a game with that style an early access workshop game was a terrible idea - I guess making it a kickstarter project instead of funding it through other projects is a necessary evil when you aren't allowed to profit off of the Smash Flash series even indirectly and nobody gives a hoot about a "Yeah Jam Fury", and workshop comes from that due to EA content droughts.
It really seems like if McLeod wants Fraymakers to be successful, the team's gonna have to hand off SSF2 to a group they can trust and focus on Fraymakers full time. It seems they're trying to do both and that's really stretching them thin.

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
It really seems like if McLeod wants Fraymakers to be successful, the team's gonna have to hand off SSF2 to a group they can trust and focus on Fraymakers full time. It seems they're trying to do both and that's really stretching them thin.
I didn't know they were still working on SSF2, that explains why Fraymakers work seems slow.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Agreed. Honestly even 3D would’ve been better since the big issue with 3D is just the Modeling, Texturing, and Rigging, and even then you could just import other Characters into the Engine, make some Tweaks, and BAM! New Character!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Agreed. Honestly even 3D would’ve been better since the big issue with 3D is just the Modeling, Texturing, and Rigging, and even then you could just import other Characters into the Engine, make some Tweaks, and BAM! New Character!
Maybe Aether Studios and McLeod should do a merger.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Once when SSF2 is Finished Development then sure. They both specialize in Platform Fighters and are in Good Terms, so it’d honestly work out pretty well.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Once when SSF2 is Finished Development then sure. They both specialize in Platform Fighters and are in Good Terms, so it’d honestly work out pretty well.
How is McLeod even supposed to "finish" SSF2? With how many characters that people want to be playable in any sort of Smash game, I don't see that as a realistic goal. I know "Art is never finished, only abandoned" and all, but still.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Fishbunjin has been added to early access, and he's just as ridiculous as he is in Slap City.

Top Bottom