• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Foxy Video Library/Critique

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I need to find more Fox players in Memphis. I miss the good ol' tournaments jester used to host :(

:phone:

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
Thx for all compliments, i need that, because of that i have more fun playing Fox :D

that jab reset was awesome sodrek
Thx mister Joe :) I enjoyed your fox, your Cv with fox was and is the best fox cv <3 You changed your main, thats sadly :/ But i would like to see your fox in the future :D You had a really stylish fox ^^

lionarmor

Smash Rookie
Hichez,
it was great playing those games with you, keep it up

I think your biggest problems in our matches is that you didn't adapt.
You play very robotically, seeming to throw out attacks you think are safe such as ftilt and fsmash. While they are good and safe options, you use them too much. Its not difficult for anyone to find a way to get around the attack by simply baiting or moving out of the way. Fox excels at dodging due to his speed. In this match-up if you just throw out moves without considering changes in the situation, then you will get destroyed easily. You want to use your options to limit your opponents options. With Fox, that means limit his movement.

This was your biggest match-up specific problem in our matches. You didn't bother to limit my movement, you played the ground game, which Fox will usually win. Especially on FD. One thing in particular was that you simply let me out of the corner to much. I shouldn't be running to the corner as much as I did in these games, and when you followed, you stopped at a certain distance(way to far away for me too feel pressured) and did one of two things:
1) You waited till I made a move and jumped away
2) Threw out some combination of ftilt, fair, fsmash
Fox wants to be at center stage, because when he is in the corner he has to try for a direct confrontation.
Less specifically you don't seem to use Lucario's air options to pressure or hold me in place. You seem to use them exclusively for offense, such as when wanting to start a combo. You don't necessarily need to be thinking about attacking all the time. What happens is you end up spending so much time chasing Fox, you don't bother trying to keep him in place. I should be afraid to run out of the corner, I wasn't worried at all of many many many safe walling options (fair-retreating nair, fsmash, retreating bair) Lucario has when I was approaching.

As to offstage game, don't go for edge gimmicks when you don't know the match-up. Its better to stay on stage and edge guard.

Mix-up your options, you have good control over you character. You just have to think a little more about what your doing.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Hichez,
it was great playing those games with you, keep it up

I think your biggest problems in our matches is that you didn't adapt.
You play very robotically, seeming to throw out attacks you think are safe such as ftilt and fsmash. While they are good and safe options, you use them too much. Its not difficult for anyone to find a way to get around the attack by simply baiting or moving out of the way. Fox excels at dodging due to his speed. In this match-up if you just throw out moves without considering changes in the situation, then you will get destroyed easily. You want to use your options to limit your opponents options. With Fox, that means limit his movement.

This was your biggest match-up specific problem in our matches. You didn't bother to limit my movement, you played the ground game, which Fox will usually win. Especially on FD. One thing in particular was that you simply let me out of the corner to much. I shouldn't be running to the corner as much as I did in these games, and when you followed, you stopped at a certain distance(way to far away for me too feel pressured) and did one of two things:
1) You waited till I made a move and jumped away
2) Threw out some combination of ftilt, fair, fsmash
Fox wants to be at center stage, because when he is in the corner he has to try for a direct confrontation.
Less specifically you don't seem to use Lucario's air options to pressure or hold me in place. You seem to use them exclusively for offense, such as when wanting to start a combo. You don't necessarily need to be thinking about attacking all the time. What happens is you end up spending so much time chasing Fox, you don't bother trying to keep him in place. I should be afraid to run out of the corner, I wasn't worried at all of many many many safe walling options (fair-retreating nair, fsmash, retreating bair) Lucario has when I was approaching.

As to offstage game, don't go for edge gimmicks when you don't know the match-up. Its better to stay on stage and edge guard.

Mix-up your options, you have good control over you character. You just have to think a little more about what your doing.
This is kinda of late, but thanks. I agree 100% of what you said. I actually analyzed the matches myself and then with P1. We came with up with a slightly different conclusion but the same reasons are in tact.

The problem with my game is the adapting part. I don't know how to subconciously think about everything you just said. It just doesn't come naturally to me at all. I wasn't even aware of a thinking process like this before I picked up brawl. You have any advice on getting better at adapting. I know it sounds dumb, but I just don't know how to do or where to start. Yesterday, I was playing with Chas and he said that part of my problem is coming from trying to predict too much. I have to agree with him. Now I'm just kinda of loss not knowing where I should be or how do I determine good mix-ups and safe options intuitively. I'm just lost.

lionarmor

Smash Rookie
Theres a certain spacing in every match-up, I believe its called burst range, where your opponents can do a quick dash into an attack. This is usually their longest range move. Standing outside of this range and waiting is the key to adapting.
If you break down the game at any moment, you and your opponent have 3 major options:
1)attack
2)defend
3)grab
This is basically the rock-paper-scissors of most fighting games, defend beats attack, grab beats defend, etc.
In smash its a bit more complex, since defend can beat attack and grab (i.e. roll, dodge). But thinking about it this way will make it easier to mix up. And forcing a burst range situation is the simplest way to think about the mix-ups in this game.
Start from there, try not to attack, try to get the spacing and wait and watch.

But keep in mind its a decision, your playing the odds here. If you don't like your odds, run away and reset the situation. If you look at our games, I spend most of my time running to get in a better position.
The next part of brawl is keeping safe. While on defense, keep in mind that you can use your attacks to set up a wall, and be sure to space them so you are safe. This way you can apply pressure, and make them scared to approach.
You should start with reactions and less punishable predictions. Later in the game, when the risk/reward ratio is lower, you should go for the hard reads.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I will watch the full match probably tomorrow or something because I am a little busy at the moment. Sorry for this useless post but this will be edited tomorrow.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I can do this today. So here it is. I may have missed some things but here it is anyways.
1. You played too passive which allowed that Diddy player to not only gain the momentum but it also allowed him to keep the momentum on his side.
2. Not enough laser pressuring. You simply do not use lasers that much. This is not for just this match but to almost all of your matches. I mean, you do use lasers at times but you are not lasering enough to pressure them to approach you.
3. Lots of missed opportunities for punish. You got close and you just shielded most of the time. I did not see you grab or punish even though you could have done so and put some more damage to that Diddy. Also, it seems that you simply did not do enough when Diddy approached you. For an example, you probably could have gotten some fsmashes in when that Diddy approached you.
4. You seem to have let banana peels overwhelm you. I think you need to work on item games because you barely worked with banana peels.

Sorry for this mess. I hope you can comprehend what I wrote because I feel like I just wrote a big BS wall of text post (mainly due to me being tired which affects my writing skills). If needed, I will edit this or completely rewrite this tomorrow to make clearer post.
Oh, and this is like the first time I am critiquing someone's match (and first time critiquing someone who is better than me lol) So that may have had a hand in this messy post.

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
Thx for that :D
on point 1 and 2 i have to agree. I have to camp more with the laser, fox could probably outcampe diddy. When i outcamp him he probably approuch and this would be my chance to punish him.
on point 3 and 4 i hate to disagree. Cyve is the best player in germany, he plays very safe and very smart. It's hard to get in. My item game is not so bad, im also a snake main and has alot item game experience, but cyve's throw are also very tricky (maybe because of his experience with his other main Pit).

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Hmm, I was afraid you might say that on points 3 and 4. Ok, what I am about to say ties into point 1. I think point 3 was mainly due to that point 1. I personally believe that sometimes it is best to go for it because it could prove to be very useful as mix up and will make him think twice. But I understand.
Point 4, yeah I wasn't even sure the degree of your item play skills but it was just me noticing how you just let banana peels on the ground and kept forced into tripping situation (I say forced because that Diddy player seems to keep pushing you near the naners).
Oh, and I have to say this. I admire your game styles too but I couldn't bear the sound of German narrator for some reason which keeps me away from watching more of your vids (no offense intended)
EDIT: Oh and you should visit here more often!

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Because, this board needs to live again and we could use some of your inputs as well! Also new friends are always nice :)

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
i understand :D It's a shame that fox players give up on fox. I will visit here more often! :p

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, that is another reason why we Fox players gotta stick together. Too many of our brethrens has turned to the dark side or are gone!

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
A thread titled "Time To Get SHTL Done" is our social and it is the most alive thread of this forum (relative to other threads). Yes, MK because people already think that Fox is not so viable.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I don't know what to say about that... It seems like it's extending the distance we travel when we dash->upsmash when you fox-trot upsmash... May be I am wrong because it is so early in the morning but still. I think I will try to learn that during my summer....
EDIT: I think the video was little too long lol but I guess it's ok....

RPK

Smash Lord
Sorta...If you dash and then immediately upsmash the moment the dash comes, it doesnt do anything to it as demonstrated in some parts. It actually makes it go shorter as demonstrated in later parts. Blocks of course being used as measurements. If you charge it, you slide farther. So doing that, and then immediately doing another dash into upsmash and then charging it makes you slide farther. Gotta love Fox trotting tho. Especially at 343 showing the amount of space you can cover really quickly just by dashing back and forth. You essentially cover about 8 blocks worth of space in both directions. Only downside is that this requires a lot of Fox Trotting, and dashing sucks a bunch in Brawl since you have the chance of tripping :<

Fox trotting is still super useful tho non the less as it is what triggers dash attacks, boost pivot grabs, DACUS, Pivots, F-Smash for some reason, from essentially a standing position if done right. Can be used to punish whiffed moves if they react to it and you can just sh away and laser if they decide not to do anything. Even empty jumps are fine options too.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I see... How did I not get some notifications of sort out of this? Anyways, I've been in process of trying to get it down and I can't even fox trot anymore..... I will need to re-learn to do fox trotting consistently. Also I did not know the relationship of fox trotting and f-smash.

frametrapper

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I just got into brawl (but back into smash, used to have an old account on here from a while ago lol) and I play with a small group of other brawlers. We don't play super competitively/seriously, but I know that we do want to get better.

We had a casual tournament of sorts not too long ago and I was recorded in a few matches. I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice on them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWN-o7xUXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWN-o7xUXI
Me vs Diddy player
Probably my best match of the bunch and I think it's pretty representative of how I play when I am playing well (for me). I get wrecked by banana setups while being edge guarded. One of the other players was later trying to explain to me landing with an air attack to pick up a banana from the edge. Does fox have any good air attacks for doing that (nair or bair?) and does he have to be super close to the ground to do so (would fastfalling make the timing easier?) My general strategy in this mu is to use lasers to apply some limited pressure, make Diddy fight for banana control (mostly with reflector and by taking them), and take big punishment opportunities as they come by. It works, at times, but I still have a ways to go, clearly. I also need to remember that his dash attack is 3 hits, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5b0MJBqiq4
Me vs a Wolf player. This matchup is sort of weird for me because the wolf player and I seem to swing back and forth on pretty big victories. I beat him with a 2-stock in pools, only to be 2-stocked here. I got a little eager for the KO while on the Halberd (ceiling always seems lower there, although I have idea if it is), but I eventually did try to go with some edge-guarding setups. I flubbed a shine attempt at 2:59 and while I didn't get a KO with nair at 3:33, it did set up for a fair, so I may try for more of those in the future. I guess I don't know how to approach this mu. He plays a very grounded game and while I am usually in good shape if I get him in a juggle or in the air, forcing that opening is a bit more difficult.

I have some other matches, but I think these are the best ones (I lose in them, so there's more to learn from). Again, I'd appreciate any advice and if anyone has advice for my opponents, I'm sure they like to hear it too.

Thanks!

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Against Diddy, I think that Diddy needs to work on his naner games and its follow up. Same goes to you. Your item game could use some work. However, I really like the usage of shine on naners. Keep it up! Also, you could use some other moves such as RAR and stuff to mix up your approach game and improve overall game. I was surprised that Diddy did almost nothing to punish you for that predictability, well, at least Wolf player got you with dsmash when you rolled into him. Also, spot dodging can be both good or bad, so use it with more care than you currently are. Let's keep on improving!

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Hi, just dropping by to promote a video from a few months back, Luigimitsu (Wario) vs CRZ (Fox). CRZ is a very experienced and knowledgeable player, excellent Fox knowledge and used to talk to TKD himself. I'm.. just a smart player lol, I did win these, but he has had times where he's dominated me with Fox, so me winning 3 - 0 doesn't necessarily mean I am better, but we are very back and forth, possibly because that's how the match up is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xQpMBOZ7BM

Top Bottom