• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's visual design.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
So, Fox's visual design. The direct claims it's from Star Fox Zero but it's actually pretty clearly a hybrid of Zero and his design in Smash 4.

Personally, I'm disappointed, they kept the three traits of Fox's design from Brawl and Smash 4 that I disliked the most: the fingerless gloves, the red clown shoes, and the "snub-nosed" Star Fox: Command-inspired head design.

I do think it's an improvement over Smash 4, which was an improvement over Brawl, but not by much. Fox hasn't looked like Fox to me since Melee.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Perhaps I'm in the minority that actually really likes Fox's modern aesthetic. I am slightly confused as to why they didn't just use the entirety of Fox's Zero design (he even has the reflector!) though.

I liked melee Fox's as well, but I do like how his design has improved since Brawl.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t main Fox, but I think he looks excellent...and based on the few videos of clear Fox audio he sounds WAY better here than in the last game (though his Brawl voice is still the best)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, Fox's visual design. The direct claims it's from Star Fox Zero but it's actually pretty clearly a hybrid of Zero and his design in Smash 4.
It's based on and not entirely from Star Fox Zero: https://youtu.be/L93H7YC-83o?t=405. Brawl and Smash 4's designs were based on Star Fox Command's which is the first game that started using current head style for Fox. Brawl added in the visible holsters for Blaster, Reflector, scouter lens, and greaves over different colored boots.

I am slightly confused as to why they didn't just use the entirety of Fox's Zero design (he even has the reflector!) though.
Probably because it would mean they would have to heavily remodel or make new models for Fox, Falco, and Wolf who can't really use his Brawl design anymore if they're basing Star Fox mainly on Star Fox Zero. Considering they have to work on +68 characters who even if they don't get new models, would be getting updates and polishing to improve on what they looked like on Smash 4, that's a lot to do and a lot of time that could have been spent elsewhere.

Fox in Star Fox Zero at least resembles and carries over traits from Command and post-Brawl, but Falco and Wolf look quite different. In Falco's case, his head, body shape, and fingers look different and Wolf's outfit, body, and head look different from Assault and Brawl to Zero which is based more on 64, but with Assault and Brawl's elements. So, the most they're doing for Fox and Falco are putting in details from Zero like the patterns on their jackets, new boots, and more textured fur and feathers, but they're leaving some things out that could be considered trivial like the Reflector designs form Zero, Fox's circle things on his collar, and their head shapes are more in line with Command and post-Brawl. Fox's is less notable, but I think his muzzle is a bit larger, fuller, and less "triangularly cartoon-y" and flat in the front in Zero.

Personally, I dislike Brawl, Smash 4, and Zero's outfit designs because it feels like there's a lot going on when there shouldn't be. Zero's is the worst in my opinion with all the random accessories and add-ons to their jackets. Some of it's cool like Falco's golden arm bands, but the grey, silver patterns and blue glow-y thing on Fox's collar are unnecessary in my opinion. They're over-the-top in an untasteful way unlike Bayonetta, Dante, or Sam Gideon's designs in their games. Sam's from Vanquish and his suit has all these cool moving parts which some of the recent Transformer games feature too. Command's outfit designs which are basically outfits from the first game to 64, but updated are my favorite because of how simple they are. If it were up to me, I'd go with those designs and only add in the holsters for Blaster and Reflector and the arm bands for Falco. The greaves and scouter make sense, but looking at Zero's rendition of the metal boots from the first game, they look protective enough that greaves aren't necessary. If anything, they make me question why they were given different boots and greaves in Brawl. As for the scouters, they look futuristic and would probably help by giving real-time info, but they're fighting on foot and those look dangerous if someone where to hit them in the eye. Maybe that's how Wolf lost his eye. Anyway, while piloting, you'd figure their Arwings would already have screens to give them info and are advanced enough that they could display additional HUD information if they need to pull them up. Scouters like those make me think that they should be used when analyzing things on foot and being retracted when they don't need them or are fighting or they're sneaking around like Snake with his Solid Eye in MGS4 or fighting at very long ranges where it's unlikely someone could hit them in the eye easily.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I wish one of Fox's alts was based on his look from Adventures.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't like the 64/command designs. I vastly prefer the Ultimate ones, being amalgamations of several games in the series and what not.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People who are concerned over him having the same VA as in Smash 4; don't blame the actor, blame the performance coupled with the poor voice direction. If you hear Mike West in Star Fox Zero, he is actually better than he was in Smash 4.
He didn't sound good in Smash because he was trying the reprise a voice of a teenage Fox that he hadn't done in years. The guy is older than before so of course he is going to sound weird. Good for him on getting his act together to put on a better performance in SF Zero.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I actually have similar feelings towards Fox's design. As an unapologetic fan of Star Fox Zero, I was rather disappointed to see that they didn't go all the way in basing Fox's look on his appearance in that game. It sort of just feels like Smash 4 Fox wearing a slightly different jacket. Heck, I've seen someone who couldn't even tell that Fox changed at all (Though I guess to be fair, Fox's Zero look isn't extremely far off from his Smash 4 look in the first place).

The thing that bugs me the most though are his boots. The boots on his Zero model are pretty distinctive, so I don't like how in Ultimate, they just look like the Smash 4 boots with metallic textures, and they're not even the right colors. Like, I can understand to an extent why they didn't do things like totally remodel his head (They did elongate his snout a bit, which is nice) or update his reflector to look how it does in Zero, but I think that making the boots look accurate would have been reasonable. At the very least, couldn't they have at least given us the steel toes instead of that random patch of red on his toes?

I'll admit this last part is very much a nitpick, but I also wish his eyes were a little narrower, his eyebrows were longer and closer to his eyes, and that they had the darker shadows around them like in Zero. The eyebrows especially I feel gave Fox's eyes a cool, stern look. There's something about his eyes in Ultimate that look a little... dorky.

I know that Star Fox is nowhere near the level of Zelda, but I am a little miffed how Link has been updated to be pretty much one-to-one with his BotW look, complete with his bow and arrows at his back at all times, while Fox and Falco get looks that only kinda resembles their looks in Zero but still being mostly original designs. Again, understandable given Zelda's size and BotW's popularity, but disappointing to me nonetheless.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Better design and a better voice...congrats to Fox

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I actually have similar feelings towards Fox's design. As an unapologetic fan of Star Fox Zero, I was rather disappointed to see that they didn't go all the way in basing Fox's look on his appearance in that game. It sort of just feels like Smash 4 Fox wearing a slightly different jacket. Heck, I've seen someone who couldn't even tell that Fox changed at all (Though I guess to be fair, Fox's Zero look isn't extremely far off from his Smash 4 look in the first place).
Hey, other people exist that didn't hate Star Fox Zero apparently, that's nice to see.

As I stated earlier I wish they kept Fox's Zero design and replicated it a little more faithfully than they did. For some reason, his boots bother me the most, as they really seem insistent to keep red on his boots.

These boots coincide much better with his overall theme - captures the sci-fi theme but keeps the red colouration as a highlight to his torso.

As a smaller comment, much of Fox's stances and animations have been tweaked for the better. His firefox Taunt has him pose in a much more authoritative fashion, and his stances for Fsmash, Usmash, Fthrow, and Dthrow are all much more slick and fitting for his character, so there's that.

FLCarnage

Smash Rookie
I like the design of Fox, I rather have the Malee design but this still works

PlushyFenn

Smash Rookie
I'm quite alright with the new changes, I'm just glad that they didn't take any consideration from the Adventures or Assault series's Fox, then we'd have a problem. Not that it ever really matter to begin with. I mean, they did just give Fox, an airpilot mind you, a gun and a weird reflector-ey thing. I mean, that's like giving a race-car driver an fiery omega death punch or someth... oh

Last edited:

FoxFalcoYoshiPikachu

Smash Rookie
It's a shame they didn't go all the way with his Zero design. That Brawl design should've died with Brawl, and Smash 4 should've had the 64 3D design, but they gave it to the miis instead. It seems Fox is gonna be haunted by Brawl's design for the rest of Smash games.

Drvm614

Smash Rookie
NNID
DRVM614
sounds accurate I HATE THOSE ****ING SHOES!!! his legs were replaced by metal anyway. he supposed to look more like Burgamo the crusher from dragon ball super.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
His voice is leaaaagues better and that’s more than enough to celebrate.

Only issue I have with fox is on one of the win screens it starts dim lit and he looks a little rat like in the whiskers. Also his no connect jab animation is kinda silly. But overall super happy with Fox.

Fox Rox

Smash Apprentice
I'm really not a fan of the Command style Fox. Although the newer versions based off of the command style are an improvement, I think it's the worst design for Fox that Nintendo has come up with. Adventures and Assault styles were nice, but I'd love to see Fox with an updated Melee look over anything.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm really not a fan of the Command style Fox. Although the newer versions based off of the command style are an improvement, I think it's the worst design for Fox that Nintendo has come up with. Adventures and Assault styles were nice, but I'd love to see Fox with an updated Melee look over anything.

Wasn't Q-Games fully responsible for that design?

Top Bottom