• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Out of Shield Punish Data

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
So recently I have been working on quite a hefty project. Fox has a great punish game, and I decided to test certain moves on fox's shield to see if fox could punish them before the opponent could shield. I then got the idea to compile information on punishing other character's moves. Because fox struggles to kill, and because he is light and high risk, I figured that knowing what you can and can't punish with what move would be very important. It allows you to know what moves you can get usmash kills off of at high percents, and what moves you can punish with dash attack to start combos. But it also allows you to know what moves you just need to not attempt to punish, because trying to punish these results in extra damage, which is really crippling on a light character like fox. For these reasons, I feel that completing the punish data for every character would be extremely beneficial to fox's metagame.

I want to make a request to the fox boards. I would really appreciate it if any of you could pitch in data to this thread. The time it will take to finish this will be significantly decreased, especially considering that I haven't even started the specials and aerials yet, and some characters have no data at all. It would be really awesome if you guys could help with some of this. I will give you credit in the thread if you want me to.

A few quick notes before I begin:

Options faster than the ones listed are implied to work. Options slower than the ones listed are either implied not to work or implied to be outclassed by other options. I didn't list anything slower than shield drop dash usmash.

I haven't factored in the spacing of the moves very much yet, this data is just to show whether the move has enough lag to be punished. Factoring in spacing is something that can be done later.

I tested all of these by myself with two controllers, on 1/4 Hold L speed. Stale moves were not in effect, but staling makes things easier to punish anyway. I used the gamepad so that I had two shoulder buttons, and then I held shield on the gamepad, while using the attack on a wii remote to connect with fox's shield. Then I would stop the time, put my toe on the wii remote, and use the correct punish option to see if the opponent could shield it. If you have doubts about whether or not this works, it does ,trust me. But if you want to help me test use whatever method you want, just tell me what it is so that I can make sure that it is accurate.

Ok, here is the list:

Jab: jab 3 is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Ftilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Utilt: punishable by dash attack OOS, has low range, so jump cancel usmash should work a lot of the time as well.

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dash attack: punish with anything you want, turnaround up tilt OOS reliably works.

Fsmash: sweetspot and sour spot are both punishable with dash usmash OOS

Dsmash: front hit punishable with dash usmash OOS

Usmash: back hit punishable with dash usmash OOS, front hit is punishable with dash attack OOS

Neutral B: punishable with dash usmash OOS, but you have to make sure you are in range.

Side B: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Up B: punish with anything to cover his landing

Down B: if you shield a fully charged fludd, you suffer no shieldstun, but fox still can't punish this unless he is at point blank range.

Nair: punishable by shield grab if in range. If he lands on the last possible frame with a hard nair and mashes jab, and you buffer the grab, the jab will trade with your jab.

Fair: Punishable by dash usmash OOS if you have frame perfect timing. Because the opponent will almost never land on the last possible frame, however, this is pretty reliable.

Bair: Same scenario as nair

Uair: punishable by a shieldgrab if in range, and his uair doesn't have great range.

Dair: punishable by dash attack OOS with strict timing
Jab: Punishable by dash usmash OOS

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but most of the time jump cancel usmash will have enough range to punish it

Dtilt: punishable by dash attack OOS

Dash attack: punish with anything close

Fsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but timing is VERY strict

Dsmash: front hit punishable by dash usmash OOS, back hit is only punishable by jab OOS, jump cancel usmash OOS, and shieldgrabbing, but it seems that Luigi can push you out of the range of these moves a majority of the time, if not all the time

Usmash: back hit punishable by dash usmash OOS, the front hit is too, but the timing is very strict

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range

Side B: punish with anything you want

Up B: punish with anything you want

Down B: if you shield the last hit, it is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair: always punishable by shieldgrab if in range.

Fair: punishable by dash usmash with frame perfect timing. Somewhat reliable, as the opponent won't always land on the last frame.

Bair: Always punishable by shieldgrab if in range

Uair: Punishable by shieldgrab if in range. Assuming perfect timing for both characters, his jab can trade with your jab.

Dair: Punishable by dash attack OOS
Jab: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Utilt: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Dtilt: the only options fast enough to punish this move are jump cancel usmash and shield grab, when in range of course. Even shield drop jab is too slow.

Dash attack: make sure to punish quickly, the move has less endlag than you might suspect. Use a shieldgrab, a jump cancel up smash, or use Utilt if she crosses you up

Fsmash (tennis racket): punishable by dash usmash OOS

Fsmash (Golf club): punishable by dash usmash OOS

Fsmash (frying pan): punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dsmash: punishable by dash Usmash OOS

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: N/A, the move only comes out during the ending frames of your move. Fox has no moves fast enough to activate the counter and shield the hit.

Side B: peach can airdodge before you can land any option, but you can punish the airdodge lag. But for the purposes of this data you cannot get any guaranteed punish on this move.

Up B: punish with anything to cover her landing, but be careful of the deceptive umbrella top hitbox

Down B: can only be punished with a shieldgrab, if your grab is in range
Nair: Late hit is punishable by shieldgrab if in range, hard hit is unpunishable even if poorly spaced, assuming she times it well.

Fair: punishable by dash attack OOS with frame perfect timing, usually pretty reliable if you perform it consistently and the opponent doesn't time it well every time.

Bair: late hit punishable by dash attack OOS with perfect timing, early hit may be punishable by dash attack if the opponent doesn't time it well. (-3 on shield)

Dair: punishable by shieldgrab

Uair: punishable by a shieldgrab if in range
Jab: can only be punished with a shieldgrab or jab OOS

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS from both sides of the move

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS after both hits connect with your shield

Dash attack: punish with any close range option you like, the move has a lot of endlag

Fsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: if he lets go of the move close to you, dash usmash OOS works, but it is hard to react to when he lets it go, and good bowser players will hold it out until you get past the punishable range.

Side B: obviously unpunishable on shield

Up B: punishable by dash usmash OOS If in range. If he drifts out of your range before the hitboxes of the move are over, you can chase him down to get an easier punish. If he uses aerial up B on your shield, punish as you please.

Down B: it might be punishable if he doesn't break your shield, but I'm pretty sure he can break anything that isn't a perfect shield. When I tested it, he broke my full shield as long as he landed the full move.
Jab 2: jab OOS can punish this, and you can shieldgrab it if your grab is in range. Can be punished by OOS jump cancel up smash if in range.

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrabbable if in range, punishable by jump cancel up smash OOS.

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dash attack: if he spaces perfectly, on the backside of your shield, this move is unpunishable. However, if he spaces just a little too close to the center, you can punish this with dash attack or usmash OOS.

Dsmash: Front hit is punishable with dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: obviously unblockable

Side B: yoshi moves too fast after he hits your shield for you to punish.

Down B: I don't recommend shielding this move, because landing all hits will break your shield.

UpB: if he hits you with an egg that hasn't reached the apex of its jump (point blank range) you can punish with dash usmash OOS. If he hits you with an egg throw that makes a full arc, it is unpunishable.
All moves are assumed to include luma unless otherwise noted:

Rapid jab: rapid jab finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS

3-hit jab: third hit is punishable by dash attack OOS and dash usmash OOS. (However, Rosalina can initiate another set of jabs before she can shield, so these options don't work if she uses another set of jabs.

Dash attack: punishable by shield grabbing, OOS jab, or OOS jump cancel usmash.

Dsmash: front hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, back hit punishable by dash attack OOS

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but only at point blank range.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range

Down B: has no hitbox, if she uses it close enough for you to hit her, use a close range option to punish.

UpB: punish with anything you want to cover the landing
Rapid jab finisher: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dash attack: punish with shieldgrab or OOS jump cancel usmash

Fsmash: punishable by dash attack OOS

Dsmash: Punishable by dash usmash OOS

Usmash: Punishable by dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if he hits your shield at close range

Side B: the best way to punish this is to powershield it when he approaches, then follow up with anything you want. If for some reason he uses it up close, shield it and then chase him down, and cover the option he uses to stop the move

Down B: powershield the mechakoopa, then catch it and do what you want with it.

UpB: make sure you shield the explosion, so that you don't get hit into what could be a combo. Otherwise, just cover his landing, and make sure to respect his hammer as he comes back down.
Jab: punishable by dash usmash OOS (I'm pretty sure that jump cancel usmash OOS has enough range most of the time after shielding this move)

Utilt: completely outranged by fox's jump cancel usmash OOS. You can also do jab OOS, a shieldgrab, or Utilt OOS if your back is turned to him.

Dtilt: Punish this move with shieldgrab. Nothing else works.

Dash attack: punish this with anything you want. Even turnaround up tilt OOS is a great option here, especially at low percents.

Dsmash: horrendous endlag and mediocre range: punish with whatever you want.

Neutral B: unblockable

Side B: if you see him approaching with the bike, try to powershield it and hit Wario out of the bike immediately. If he hits your regular shield, chase him down and try to safely hit him out of the bike.

Down B: if he uses a super weak waft, you can punish with dash usmash OOS. If he uses a stronger, grounded waft, punish with dash usmash OOS. If he uses the fully charged waft, you will have to try and cover his landing

Up B: punish the landing with anything you like
Jab: double jab is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, can be shieldgrabbed or jump cancel usmashed if in range. Impossible to punish if well spaced.

Utilt: Utilt is outranged by usmash, use jump cancel usmash if in kill range. Punish with dash attack OOS if usmash isn't in kill range.

Dash attack: can be punished by jump cancel usmash, Utilt or a shieldgrab. If he lands behind you use Utilt OOS.

Usmash: usmash can't even hit fox unless it is super close, or he is in the air. If he hits your shield with it, dash usmash OOS will punish it.

Neutral B: Any variant except fully charged can be punished by dash usmash OOS. The fully charged variant is unpunishable.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, only shield this move if you have a full shield

Down B: this move is unpunishable

Up B: the grounded version is punishable by dash usmash OOS, but often DK lands close enough for a shieldgrab or jump cancel usmash OOS.
Jab finisher: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dtilt: shieldgrab and jab OOS will punish it, but the timing is strict and you are better off just dodging out of the vicinity.

Dash attack: punish with a shieldgrab, a jump cancel usmash, or if he crosses you up use Utilt.

Fsmash: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Dsmash: front hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, the back hit is too, but it is much harder to time correctly before he can shield.

Usmash: this move has horrible horizontal range. If at kill percents, use jump cancel usmash, and if at lower percents, use a grab or dash attack.

Neutral B: fully charged popgun and anything below it can be punished with dash usmash OOS if in range.

Side B: the plain variant beats shields, and the kick can be punished with anything that hits close to you, as it is essentially an aerial attack.

Down B: if you are at point blank range and are hit by the banana on its way up, punish with a shieldgrab or jump cancel usmash OOS. I won't cover how to punish the banana throw here.

Up B: punish with anything you want. Chase him down if he goes horizontally, and cover his landing if he goes vertically.

Utilt: completely outranged by usmash, use jump cancel usmash OOS

Dash attack: punish with jump cancel usmash OOS or a shieldgrab

Fsmash: punishable with dash attack OOS

Dsmash: punishable with dash usmash OOS from both sides of the move

Usmash: Unpunishable

Neutral B: if he uses one fling of the pan, you can punish with dash usmash OOS, but he can fling the pan again before he can even shield, so this move is very hard to punish.

Side B: any number except 9 can be punished with dash usmash OOS

Down B: a bucket shot full of 3 lasers can be punished with dash usmash OOS

Up B: you can't guarantee a punish on this move. Try to cover his landing, but watch out for any aerials he may use to defend himself.

Dtilt: cannot be punished with dash attack, so you have to use jab OOS or a shieldgrab, which are options that are outranged.

Utilt: punishable by dash attack OOS on front hit, back hit is Unpunishable.

Dash attack: punishable with a shieldgrab, jump cancel usmash, and is punishable by Utilt if he crosses up.

Dsmash: front hit and back hit are both punishable by dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: KO punch beats shields, but jolt haymaker is heavily punishable. Use a shieldgrab, dash attack, or jump cancel usmash if he lands in front, and use Utilt or dash attack if he lands behind

Side B: heavily punishable, use any quick, close range option that covers the spot where he lands.

Down B: N/A

UpB: cover the landing with anything you want

Ftilt: cannot be punished if spaced properly, and dash attack is too slow at any range.

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrabbing, and jump cancel usmash if in range.

Dash attack: punish with whatever you want

Dsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS on both sides

Neutral B: any arrow that is shielded close to link can be punished with dash usmash OOS

Side B: only punishable at point blank range, where only shieldgrab will punish it

Down B: has no hitbox at the start, if he plucks a bomb right next to you, shieldgrab him or use a jump cancel usmash.

Up B: grounded up B is punishable by dash usmash OOS regardless of the charge. If he uses aerial up B, punish the landing with anything you want.
Jab: only punishable with a shield grab

Utilt: punishable by dash attack OOS

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Side B: unpunishable, but if she uses it at point blank range, know that you can punish her, because it won't hit you if you are in CQC range

Up B: punish with anything you want if she flies into the air above you, if she hits your shield with the second hit, it is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Down B: unpunishable if she hits you with both hits, but if she hits your shield with the first hit, but misses the second hit, and her minion travels past you, you can do an immediate shield drop into dash usmash.

Nair: punishable by dash attack OOS

Fair: weak hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, strong hit

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Ftilt: punishable by dash attack OOS

Utilt: dash attack OOS is too slow, use a shieldgrab, jab OOS, or a jump cancel usmash if in range.

Dash attack: punish with anything quick and close. Be wary of the cross up, and use Utilt to defend it.

Fsmash: punish with anything quick and close, but watch out for the cross up and use Utilt if it does cross up.

Side B: if you are hit by the grenade, the move is unpunishable on shield. However, if you react quickly, you can run up and hit sheik during endlag, before the grenade explodes.

Up B: if she flies into the air, punish with anything. The weak, second hit after she reappears is punishable by dash usmash OOS. The first, strong hit cannot be reliably punished because you have to read the direction sheik will travel.

Down B: you can cover her landing with dash usmash OOS, but she can protect herself by activating the second hit, and she can also aim which direction she wants to go, making it unreliable.

Utilt: don't even..... Just, don't do it little Timmy, just don't try! The best way to punish this is to just wait for the endlag, and punish him then, but watch out for the windbox!

Dash attack: punishable with anything close, as usual for a dash attack

Dsmash: front hit and back hit punishable by dash usmash OOS

Usmash: completely unpunishable on shield

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but don't shield this if you have a weakened shield. In fact, waiting for the endlag is actually safer, and you can still get a dash usmash out of it.

Side B: can't be shielded

Up B: can't be shielded

Down B: grounded down B is punishable by dash usmash OOS. Aerial hit is also punishable by dash usmash OOS, but it can easily break your shield. If you see this move, it is safer to wait for the endlag and punish.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Ftilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS with very strict timing

Utilt: punishable by OOS jab, jump cancel usmash, or shieldgrab only.

Dtilt: only punishable by jump cancel usmash or shieldgrab

Fsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS on second hit. You have frame advantage ON HIT if hit with the first hit of the move outside high percents (possibly like, 300+). If you shield it, you can punish with dash usmash OOS.

Neutral B: fually charged neutral B is only punishable by shieldgrab if in range. Arrows that aren't charged much can be punished by dash attack OOS

Side B: only punishable by shieldgrab if in range

Up B: grounded version is punishable by dash usmash OOS. Punish the aerial version with anything you like.

Down B: Can't really punish on shield. If you see him pluck a bomb right in your face, shieldgrab him.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: second hit punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dash attack: punishable with anything close, punish with Utilt or dash attack if she crosses up

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, if she hits you at the front part of the move, you can drop your shield early for the punish, because the last 3 hits won't connect with you or your shield

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS even if fully charged, but chances are she won't shoot if you are in range of the usmash

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range, weak missile is more punishable than the strong missile

Up B: punish the landing with anything you want

Down B: not punishable, the bomb doesn't explode until after she can shield. Not only that, but the explosion can knock her out of your grab, and break up your up tilt combos, if you try to use those.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but since she lunges forward into you, you can usually use a jump cancel usmash too.

Ftilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but with very strict timing.

Dash attack: the strong hit will always cross you up, and is punishable by dash attack OOS all the time, and is usually punishable by dash usmash OOS, depending on where on your shield she hits you.

Dsmash: barely punishable by dash attack OOS

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, you can drop your shield to ready your punish after the first hit, because the last few hits won't hit you or your shield.

Neutral B: you are best off just shining this move, which gives you a free dash grab, dash usmash, or dash attack, and even a running Dair.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Down B: no guarunteed punish from this move, ZSS Can mix up her landings between several options.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: 3rd jab is punishable by dash usmash OOS, jab finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dsmash: front hit punishable by dash usmash OOS, Back hit punishable by dash attack OOS

Usmash: hits don't reliably hit fox's shield, easily punishable with usmash

Neutral B: any charge is punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range

Up B: punish with anything you want, no hitbox

Down B: No hitbox, hard to punish

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS with perfect timing

Dash attack: punish with anything close, ridiculous endlag

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS at close range

Side B: no hitbox, hard to punish

Up B: no hitbox, punish with anything

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: jab 2 is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dtilt: can punish with jab OOS, jump cancel usmash, or a shieldgrab

Dsmash: both sides punishable by dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: don't try to shield this move, even if you have a full shield

Side B: finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Up B: cover the landing with anything you want

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Neutral B: fully charged, it is an instant shield break. If you see him charging this outside your range, shoot lasers at him to pressure him. If you shield a lesser charged version, punish with dash usmash OOS

Side B: punish with anything close

Up B: wait for him to use the landing hit, which is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: both jab finishers are punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrab or jump cancel up smash

Neutral B: all of the variants except arcthunder are punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range

Side B: robin can act before the flame hitbox even ends

Up B: punish the landing with anything

Down B: can't be shielded

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: both finishers are punishable by dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: not really punishable, because if he uses it right at close range, the explosion will hit him. If the can hits you when duck hunt is far away, you have no chance to punish it.

Down B: not punishable, duck hunt can act before the hitbox ends

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: jab finisher is punishable with dash usmash OOS

Utilt: only punishable with back hit of Utilt OOS and anything slower

Dtilt: exact same as Utilt

Dash attack: punish with a shieldgrab or jump cancel usmash, or possibly a turnaround utilt. Be careful, this move has deceptively low endlag.

Neutral B: N/A

Side B: punishable by dash usmash at any charge, but only shield the fully charged variant if you have a completely full health shield

Up B: wait for the landing hit, which is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Down B: Don't shield this move, it could break your shield and it isn't the most efficient punish. Move out of the way, wait for him to land or exit the down B, and then hit him out of it.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, and Utilt OOS is an amazing hard punish against this move.

Dash attack: punish with anything close, but know that this move inflicts heavy shield damage.

Dsmash: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if at close range, and the Gordo hits your shield directly, instead of being sent up, where it bounces to your shield.

Up B: get out of the way of this move, and it is punishable with dash usmash OOS. You can also shine the stars, but you can get a harder punish by waiting it out and timing the punish perfectly after the stars disappear.

Down B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but only try to shield the fully charged hit if you have a perfectly full health shield.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:
Dair:

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, jump cancel usmash OOS, or shieldgrabbing

Dash attack: low endlag, punish with a jump cancel usmash or a shieldgrab if he lands in front of you, and use dash attack OOS (strict timing) if he crosses up

Fsmash: completely unpunishable on shield

Dsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS on both sides.

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if he hits the shield, and if he whiffs your shield with the last part of the move, you can use usmash then too.

Side B: last hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Up B: cover the landing with anything you want.

Down B: punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Ftilt: Punishable by dash attack with FRAME ONE timing

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS with very strict timing

Dash attack: punish with anything close (and don't even think about dash attacking into your opponents shield yourself XD)

Neutral B: don't shield it, just close the gap against the opponent.

Side B: grounded illusion is punishable by dash usmash OOS, aerial illusion is sometimes punishable by dash attack or dash usmash depending on how far he travels past your shield.

Up B: punishable by dash usmash OOS for the horizontal hit, cover the landing for a vertical hit.

Down B: if your opponent tries this, remind them that 20XX has not arrived yet, and promptly dash usmash them, or anything slower, of course.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, and the hits may not both connect all the time.

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, jump cancel usmash OOS, or shieldgrab OOS, but these options are outranged when the move is well spaced.

Dash attack: punish with anything close.

Neutral B: if he shoots you at point blank range, you can dash usmash him OOS, but he can shoot another laser faster than he can shield, so he can mix you up to make it harder for you to punish.

Side B: grounded version is punishable with dash usmash OOS, aerial version is punishable by dash attack or maybe dash usmash depending on where he hits you.

Up B: same as fox's UpB

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: unpunishable because the endlag is super low, and you can't predict when he will end it.

Dtilt: only punishable with a shieldgrab or a jump cancel usmash.

Dash attack: punishable with anything close.

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS at point blank range.

Side B: punishable by jump cancel usmash OOS (pika will always land right in front of you)

Up B: punishable by dash usmash OOS (be quick, and have good reflexes) if you aren't comfortable/fast enough to do this, just defend it with an nair when you see it come out.

Down B: the body hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Utilt: completely outranged by usmash, use a jump cancel usmash OOS

Dash attack: punishable with anything close, but the move does have surprisingly low endlag, so be careful.

Neutral B: no guarunteed punish OOS

Side B: you can set up a jab lock at low percents with nair or Ftilt for a huge combo, or you can just land the kill with an up smash, or start a combo with dash attack.

Up B: cover the landing with anything

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
For lucario, I'm just going to link a spreadsheet that has all of the block data for all of lucario's moves, at various aura percents. Use the OOS speed reference chart that I will provide in the thread later to use this spreadsheet effectively.
Jab: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrabbing, or a JC usmash OOS

Utilt: only shieldgrabbable

Usmash: punishable by dash attack OOS

Neutral B: just dodge the move until it ends, you can't reliably punish it

Side B: don't shield this move with a weak shield, but it is punishable with an aerial OOS to hit her out of the air, or a dash usmash OOS on the ground.

Up B: N/A

Down B: Run up and fully charge an up smash at kill percents, or try to start up a combo that does as much damage as you can if jigglypuff isn't at kill percent.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dash attack: punish with a shieldgrab or a JC usmash, or a Utilt if he crosses up.

Neutral B: if he uses a shuriken that isn't fully charged, at point blank range, you can punish with dash attack OOS.

Side B: you can punish with dash usmash OOS, but you can also spot dodge the shadow sneak for an alternative way to land the usmash.

Up B: punish the landing

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: jab 2 is punishable by dash attack OOS

Utilt: it seems that jump cancel usmash will almost always work based on range, but you can also dash usmash OOS, with stricter timing.

Dtilt: don't try to punish this move, just avoid the pressure somehow

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, and the second hit doesn't connect reliably on fox's shield

Neutral B: all variants are punishable by dash usmash OOS at point blank range.

Side B: the final hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, but jump cancel usmash should always work

Down B: the gyro toss is punishable by dash usmash OOS at close range.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dtilt: unpunishable

Dsmash: back hit is punishable with dash usmash OOS, front hit is punishable with jab OOS or faster.

Neutral B: you are better off not shielding this move, and instead rushing in while the pulse is still above you on its way back down to the ground.

Side B: unpunishable, he can act before the hitbox ends

Up B: PKT 2 is punishable by dash usmash OOS, the regular PK Thunder should be punished by rushing in when ness is charging it, as long as you feel confident that the bolt won't hit you first.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Ftilt: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Dash attack: punish with anything close, watch for the cross up, and defend it with Utilt or dash attack.

Dsmash: front hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, back hit is unpunishable

Usmash: hits don't connect reliably, punishable with dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: punish this with usmash, either out of a spotdodge, or out of shield. If you have a weakened shield, just wait it out and then run in for the usmash.

Side B: punishable by jump cancel usmash OOS every time

Up B: N/A, command grab

Down B: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: not punishable

Ftilt: punishable with dash usmash OOS

Fsmash: punishable by jab OOS and faster options, but these options are hard to hit because

Dsmash: front hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, back hit is punishable by jab OOS or faster.

Usmash: punishable by dash attack OOS

Side B: you can't punish him for using it on your shield, unless he is riding it, in which case you can wait for him to free fall back to the ground, and use an up smash to punish.

Down B: do not try to shield the tree, the axe is punishable by dash usmash OOS, and the tree growing from a sapling can not be punished on shield.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Note: I will analyze the data of each pikmin on shield later

Jab: punishable by jab OOS or faster.

Ftilt: punishable by jab OOS or faster

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, hits don't reliably connect

Fsmash:

Dsmash:

Usmash:

Neutral B:

Side B:

Up B:

Down B

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS with VERY strict timing

Neutral B: any charge is punishable by dash usmash OOS at close range

Side B: at close range, you can run under the ball and hit her with an up smash before she can shield

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dsmash: after taking all three hits, you can dash usmash OOS, but be careful, because taking all 3 hits weakens your shield quite a bit.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS with very strict timing

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS with strict timing

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if you shield it fairly close to doctor Mario

Down B: Final hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: 3rd jab is punishable by dash usmash OOS, jab finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dsmash: front hit punishable by dash usmash OOS, Back hit punishable by dash attack OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair

Dair:
Lucina:

Neutral B: don't shield this move.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but jump cancel usmash should usually work against the finisher.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Pac-Man:

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS with VERY strict timing, but jump cancel usmash usually works as well

Dash attack: punish with a shieldgrab, but be aware that the move has extremely low endlag.

Neutral B: every variant, including the key, can be punished at close range by dash usmash OOS.

Up B: no hitbox, cover the landing

Down B: unpunishable on shield

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Mega Man:

Jab/Ftilt: If he uses three consecutive pellets on your shield, you can actually get a dash usmash OOS.

Utilt: punishable by jump cancel usmash OOS if he is in front, use dash usmash, dash attack or Utilt, (there are other options too) if he is behind you when using the move

Fsmash: even the fully charged variant is punishable by dash usmash OOS at close range.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS at close range, because you literally suffer no shieldstun from this move.

Up B: punish the landing with anything.

Down B: this move isn't safe on shield when the spinning leaves are used, but the throw itself is punishable by dash usmash OOS.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Sonic:

Utilt: this move is punishable by dash attack OOS, and often punishable by jump cancel usmash OOS

Fsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS with strict timing

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, and jump cancel usmash OOS usually works as well, assuming you were hit from the front.

Neutral B: you can punish with an aerial before he can airdodge

Side B: cannot be reliably punished

Down B: cannot be reliably punished

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Mewtwo:

Dtilt: can be punished by jab OOS, shieldgrab, or jump cancel usmash OOS

Dsmash: unpunishable, the move pushes any options fast enough to work out of range.

Neutral B:

Side B: N/A, command grab

Up B: cover the landing with anything, but it can be hard to punish at times due to his direction mix ups

Down B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, jump cancel usmash usually works

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Lucas:

Ftilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrabbing, or JC usmash OOS

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrab, or jump cancel usmash OOS

Dash attack: punish with anything close, but beware of the surprisingly low end lag.

Dsmash: only the first hit connects with your shield, so after the first hit you can dash usmash OOS

Neutral B: try to hit him while he's charging

Side B: you can punish with dash attack OOS at close range

Up B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if it hits your shield, punish the landing if he goes into the air

Down B: the ending hit when he lets go of the move is punishable by dash attack OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Roy:

Jab: punishable by jab OOS or faster options

Dtilt: unpunishable

Neutral B: uncharged is barely punishable by dash usmash OOS, but if it is charged, it is unpunishable.

Side B: the finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS, but jump cancel usmash usually works too

Up B: cover the landing with anything

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Ryu:

Jab: the finisher is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Ftilt: light Ftilt is punishable by dash attack OOS

Utilt: don't try to punish the light version, heavy Utilt is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Dtilt: don't try to punish light Dtilt, heavy Dtilt is punishable by dash attack OOS

Fsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS with strict timing

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS at close range.

Down B: the fully charged version beats shields, the uncharged version is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

I know I have a really long way to go, but with the help of some other people, I believe we can complete this project and advance fox's metagame.

Feel free to tell me if anything is wrong, or if you have something you want me to add to the thread.

Update history:

2-18-16: added the rest of the characters that I own to the list. All of the characters I own except olimar and lucario are completed outside of aerials.

2-15-16: added another row of characters from the CSS to the list, from Meta Knight to Wii Fit Trainer

2-13-16: Added Zelda, sheik, ganon, toon link, Samus, ZSS, pit, palutena, Marth, Ike, robin, duck hunt, Kirby, and King DeDeDe to the list. All of these characters are complete outside of aerial data.

1-31-16: the characters that were missing specials now have them added, so every character on the list now has all moves completed except aerials. Every character from Mario to Link on the character select screen are on the list.

1-27-16: Added the data for every move except aerials for the following characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser

1-26-16: Added the data for tilts, dash attack, and smashes for the following characters: Yoshi, Rosalina and Luma, Bowser Jr, Wario, DK, Diddy, Mr Game and Watch, Little Mac, and Link.

Last edited:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Coming soon: a reference guide on the frame data and terminology of this guide

Last edited:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Future project: the applications, simplifications, and mindset of punishing out of shield as fox

Last edited:

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Is dash usmash that u are doing oos is just doing a quick very short run than usmash with him? Just trying to picture exactly what u are doing. And this is a great idea. Sometimes it's very hard to tell when to get the usmash and when u cant

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's pretty much the idea. It's just a shield drop followed by a dash up smash as fast as you can.

RPK

Smash Lord
This is needed. Reminds me of how I did this for Brawl with Fox. Did you know you could do this to Meta Knight's D-smash in brawl? Thats how good Shield Drop Dash U-smash was. Probably not as good nowadays considering the large amount of additional shield stun, but keep up the good work non the less.

Last edited:

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Very much needed. At times it feels very unsafe to do usmash. Glad to know I have options and can get the usmash alot easier.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
I have completed all of the characters from Mario to link, barring the aerial data. If it seems like I am inactive and not adding things, don't worry, it's probably because I am preparing for one large update with a bunch of characters. I still need some ideas for how to go about the aerials. Aerials are less safe when they aren't used as close to the ground as possible, and it will be hard to time the frames correctly without extensive labbing. Do you think I should just calculate the safety of a move using the shieldstun formula, or do any of you guys have a better idea? Thank you all for the feedback, and you can look forward to a big update within the next week or so.

Also, one last thing. I don't have cloud, and I don't think I will buy bayonetta or corrin, at least not right away. Since they come out this week, could I get somebody to volunteer to get the data for those 3 characters? I would really appreciate it, and you would get credited for your work. I have the first 4 DLC characters, so I can take care of those.

Riyoxas

Smash Rookie
This may have been already adressed in another thread somewhere but Idk. Is a dash jump-canceled up smash OOS faster than a dash up smash OOS? I was looking at the moves that were punishable by dash up smash OOS and was just wondering if dash jump-cancel up smash OOS would be better.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Punish threads for characters can be a big help. Let me show you these block advantage charts for the characters. Check the bottom tabs for other characters besides Mario. Everybody's here except Sonic, Mega Man, and the three Mii Fighters. We already found the amount of shieldstun each move deals. Advantage (OoS) is the number for true OoS options (dodging, shieldgrabbing, shield jump. Advantage (drop) is the number for when you've let down your shield to punish something else. It takes seven frames to put down shield, so it's always seven less than the OoS number.

We use specific rules for aerials. Assume a scenario where the character is landing on the ground the very next frame after being blocked. This is the best case scenario because they enter landing lag at the earliest possible moment. If you ever heard a commentator say "If sheik gets blocked from too high up, she'll get grabbed", that's what they're talking about. Projectiles also follow certain rules. Because these sorts of attacks are not tied to the character performing then, shieldstun and shieldlag (hitlag for shields) both factor in to advantage. But our advantage numbers assume a hit on the first active frame. That is, the defender is blocking the move in the attacker's face. This is the worst case scenario, since you naturally wouldn't use basic projectile attacks at point blank range.

You've done some good work here. Let me know if you've got questions about how shields or individual character moves work.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, sorry for the late update, but as promised, I have brought you several more characters. I added 14 characters to the list today, with everything except aerial data. I have actually finished the aerial data for some characters, but I haven't added them to this site yet.

I will repeat this again: if you help me out, you get credit for all your work, and you can be a part of advancing fox's metagame! I also need volunteers to do the data for cloud, bayonetta, and corrin. Help is greatly appreciated, and I hope you understand the significance of completing this data.

D

Deleted member 269706

Awesome work OP! Love what you've done here, though the formatting (or rather, lack thereof) was driving me crazy so I put everything into spoiler tags to make it easier to find specific information. Would love it if you updated the OP with it!

Utilt: punishable by dash attack OOS, has low range, so jump cancel usmash should work a lot of the time as well.

Dash attack: punish with anything you want, turnaround up tilt OOS reliably works.

Usmash: back hit punishable with dash usmash OOS, front hit is punishable with dash attack OOS

Neutral B: punishable with dash usmash OOS, but you have to make sure you are in range.

Down B: if you shield a fully charged fludd, you suffer no shieldstun, but fox still can't punish this unless he is at point blank range.

Utilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but most of the time jump cancel usmash will have enough range to punish it

Dsmash: front hit punishable by dash usmash OOS, back hit is only punishable by jab OOS, jump cancel usmash OOS, and shieldgrabbing, but it seems that Luigi can push you out of the range of these moves a majority of the time, if not all the time

Usmash: back hit punishable by dash usmash OOS, the front hit is too, but the timing is very strict

Dtilt: the only options fast enough to punish this move are jump cancel usmash and shield grab, when in range of course. Even shield drop jab is too slow.

Dash attack: make sure to punish quickly, the move has less endlag than you might suspect. Use a shieldgrab, a jump cancel up smash, or use Utilt if she crosses you up

Neutral B: N/A, the move only comes out during the ending frames of your move. Fox has no moves fast enough to activate the counter and shield the hit.

Side B: peach can airdodge before you can land any option, but you can punish the airdodge lag. But for the purposes of this data you cannot get any guaranteed punish on this move.

Up B: punish with anything to cover her landing, but be careful of the deceptive umbrella top hitbox

Dash attack: punish with any close range option you like, the move has a lot of endlag

Neutral B: if he lets go of the move close to you, dash usmash OOS works, but it is hard to react to when he lets it go, and good bowser players will hold it out until you get past the punishable range.

Up B: punishable by dash usmash OOS If in range. If he drifts out of your range before the hitboxes of the move are over, you can chase him down to get an easier punish. If he uses aerial up B on your shield, punish as you please.

Down B: it might be punishable if he doesn't break your shield, but I'm pretty sure he can break anything that isn't a perfect shield. When I tested it, he broke my full shield as long as he landed the full move.
Jab 2: jab OOS can punish this, and you can shieldgrab it if your grab is in range. Can be punished by OOS jump cancel up smash if in range.

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrabbable if in range, punishable by jump cancel up smash OOS.

Dash attack: if he spaces perfectly, on the backside of your shield, this move is unpunishable. However, if he spaces just a little too close to the center, you can punish this with dash attack or usmash OOS.

Down B: I don't recommend shielding this move, because landing all hits will break your shield.

UpB: if he hits you with an egg that hasn't reached the apex of its jump (point blank range) you can punish with dash usmash OOS. If he hits you with an egg throw that makes a full arc, it is unpunishable.

3-hit jab: third hit is punishable by dash attack OOS and dash usmash OOS. (However, Rosalina can initiate another set of jabs before she can shield, so these options don't work if she uses another set of jabs.

Dsmash: front hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, back hit punishable by dash attack OOS

Down B: has no hitbox, if she uses it close enough for you to hit her, use a close range option to punish.

Side B: the best way to punish this is to powershield it when he approaches, then follow up with anything you want. If for some reason he uses it up close, shield it and then chase him down, and cover the option he uses to stop the move

UpB: make sure you shield the explosion, so that you don't get hit into what could be a combo. Otherwise, just cover his landing, and make sure to respect his hammer as he comes back down.
Jab: punishable by dash usmash OOS (I'm pretty sure that jump cancel usmash OOS has enough range most of the time after shielding this move)

Utilt: completely outranged by fox's jump cancel usmash OOS. You can also do jab OOS, a shieldgrab, or Utilt OOS if your back is turned to him.

Dash attack: punish this with anything you want. Even turnaround up tilt OOS is a great option here, especially at low percents.

Side B: if you see him approaching with the bike, try to powershield it and hit Wario out of the bike immediately. If he hits your regular shield, chase him down and try to safely hit him out of the bike.

Down B: if he uses a super weak waft, you can punish with dash usmash OOS. If he uses a stronger, grounded waft, punish with dash usmash OOS. If he uses the fully charged waft, you will have to try and cover his landing

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, can be shieldgrabbed or jump cancel usmashed if in range. Impossible to punish if well spaced.

Utilt: Utilt is outranged by usmash, use jump cancel usmash if in kill range. Punish with dash attack OOS if usmash isn't in kill range.

Dash attack: can be punished by jump cancel usmash, Utilt or a shieldgrab. If he lands behind you use Utilt OOS.

Usmash: usmash can't even hit fox unless it is super close, or he is in the air. If he hits your shield with it, dash usmash OOS will punish it.

Neutral B: Any variant except fully charged can be punished by dash usmash OOS. The fully charged variant is unpunishable.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, only shield this move if you have a full shield

Up B: the grounded version is punishable by dash usmash OOS, but often DK lands close enough for a shieldgrab or jump cancel usmash OOS.

Dtilt: shieldgrab and jab OOS will punish it, but the timing is strict and you are better off just dodging out of the vicinity.

Dash attack: punish with a shieldgrab, a jump cancel usmash, or if he crosses you up use Utilt.

Dsmash: front hit is punishable by dash usmash OOS, the back hit is too, but it is much harder to time correctly before he can shield.

Usmash: this move has horrible horizontal range. If at kill percents, use jump cancel usmash, and if at lower percents, use a grab or dash attack.

Neutral B: fully charged popgun and anything below it can be punished with dash usmash OOS if in range.

Side B: the plain variant beats shields, and the kick can be punished with anything that hits close to you, as it is essentially an aerial attack.

Down B: if you are at point blank range and are hit by the banana on its way up, punish with a shieldgrab or jump cancel usmash OOS. I won't cover how to punish the banana throw here.

Up B: punish with anything you want. Chase him down if he goes horizontally, and cover his landing if he goes vertically.

Neutral B: if he uses one fling of the pan, you can punish with dash usmash OOS, but he can fling the pan again before he can even shield, so this move is very hard to punish.

Up B: you can't guarantee a punish on this move. Try to cover his landing, but watch out for any aerials he may use to defend himself.

Dtilt: cannot be punished with dash attack, so you have to use jab OOS or a shieldgrab, which are options that are outranged.

Dash attack: punishable with a shieldgrab, jump cancel usmash, and is punishable by Utilt if he crosses up.

Neutral B: KO punch beats shields, but jolt haymaker is heavily punishable. Use a shieldgrab, dash attack, or jump cancel usmash if he lands in front, and use Utilt or dash attack if he lands behind

Side B: heavily punishable, use any quick, close range option that covers the spot where he lands.

Ftilt: cannot be punished if spaced properly, and dash attack is too slow at any range.

Dtilt: punishable by jab OOS, shieldgrabbing, and jump cancel usmash if in range.

Neutral B: any arrow that is shielded close to link can be punished with dash usmash OOS

Side B: only punishable at point blank range, where only shieldgrab will punish it

Down B: has no hitbox at the start, if he plucks a bomb right next to you, shieldgrab him or use a jump cancel usmash.

Up B: grounded up B is punishable by dash usmash OOS regardless of the charge. If he uses aerial up B, punish the landing with anything you want.

Side B: unpunishable, but if she uses it at point blank range, know that you can punish her, because it won't hit you if you are in CQC range

Up B: punish with anything you want if she flies into the air above you, if she hits your shield with the second hit, it is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Down B: unpunishable if she hits you with both hits, but if she hits your shield with the first hit, but misses the second hit, and her minion travels past you, you can do an immediate shield drop into dash usmash.

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Utilt: dash attack OOS is too slow, use a shieldgrab, jab OOS, or a jump cancel usmash if in range.

Dash attack: punish with anything quick and close. Be wary of the cross up, and use Utilt to defend it.

Fsmash: punish with anything quick and close, but watch out for the cross up and use Utilt if it does cross up.

Side B: if you are hit by the grenade, the move is unpunishable on shield. However, if you react quickly, you can run up and hit sheik during endlag, before the grenade explodes.

Up B: if she flies into the air, punish with anything. The weak, second hit after she reappears is punishable by dash usmash OOS. The first, strong hit cannot be reliably punished because you have to read the direction sheik will travel.

Down B: you can cover her landing with dash usmash OOS, but she can protect herself by activating the second hit, and she can also aim which direction she wants to go, making it unreliable.

Utilt: don't even..... Just, don't do it little Timmy, just don't try! The best way to punish this is to just wait for the endlag, and punish him then, but watch out for the windbox!

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but don't shield this if you have a weakened shield. In fact, waiting for the endlag is actually safer, and you can still get a dash usmash out of it.

Down B: grounded down B is punishable by dash usmash OOS. Aerial hit is also punishable by dash usmash OOS, but it can easily break your shield. If you see this move, it is safer to wait for the endlag and punish.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Fsmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS on second hit. You have frame advantage ON HIT if hit with the first hit of the move outside high percents (possibly like, 300+). If you shield it, you can punish with dash usmash OOS.

Neutral B: fually charged neutral B is only punishable by shieldgrab if in range. Arrows that aren't charged much can be punished by dash attack OOS

Up B: grounded version is punishable by dash usmash OOS. Punish the aerial version with anything you like.

Down B: Can't really punish on shield. If you see him pluck a bomb right in your face, shieldgrab him.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dash attack: punishable with anything close, punish with Utilt or dash attack if she crosses up

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, if she hits you at the front part of the move, you can drop your shield early for the punish, because the last 3 hits won't connect with you or your shield

Neutral B: punishable by dash usmash OOS even if fully charged, but chances are she won't shoot if you are in range of the usmash

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range, weak missile is more punishable than the strong missile

Down B: not punishable, the bomb doesn't explode until after she can shield. Not only that, but the explosion can knock her out of your grab, and break up your up tilt combos, if you try to use those.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Jab: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but since she lunges forward into you, you can usually use a jump cancel usmash too.

Dash attack: the strong hit will always cross you up, and is punishable by dash attack OOS all the time, and is usually punishable by dash usmash OOS, depending on where on your shield she hits you.

Usmash: punishable by dash usmash OOS, you can drop your shield to ready your punish after the first hit, because the last few hits won't hit you or your shield.

Neutral B: you are best off just shining this move, which gives you a free dash grab, dash usmash, or dash attack, and even a running Dair.

Down B: no guarunteed punish from this move, ZSS Can mix up her landings between several options.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Neutral B: fully charged, it is an instant shield break. If you see him charging this outside your range, shoot lasers at him to pressure him. If you shield a lesser charged version, punish with dash usmash OOS

Up B: wait for him to use the landing hit, which is punishable by dash usmash OOS

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Neutral B: all of the variants except arcthunder are punishable by dash usmash OOS if in range

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Neutral B: not really punishable, because if he uses it right at close range, the explosion will hit him. If the can hits you when duck hunt is far away, you have no chance to punish it.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dash attack: punish with a shieldgrab or jump cancel usmash, or possibly a turnaround utilt. Be careful, this move has deceptively low endlag.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash at any charge, but only shield the fully charged variant if you have a completely full health shield

Down B: Don't shield this move, it could break your shield and it isn't the most efficient punish. Move out of the way, wait for him to land or exit the down B, and then hit him out of it.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Dtilt: punishable by dash usmash OOS, and Utilt OOS is an amazing hard punish against this move.

Dash attack: punish with anything close, but know that this move inflicts heavy shield damage.

Side B: punishable by dash usmash OOS if at close range, and the Gordo hits your shield directly, instead of being sent up, where it bounces to your shield.

Up B: get out of the way of this move, and it is punishable with dash usmash OOS. You can also shine the stars, but you can get a harder punish by waiting it out and timing the punish perfectly after the stars disappear.

Down B: punishable by dash usmash OOS, but only try to shield the fully charged hit if you have a perfectly full health shield.

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Awesome work OP! Love what you've done here, though the formatting (or rather, lack thereof) was driving me crazy so I put everything into spoiler tags to make it easier to find specific information. Would love it if you updated the OP with it!

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do this for me, I know the formatting sucked, but that was because my priority was getting all the data out. Anyway, I will definitely use this, and keep it that way from now on. I'm also going to add a reference chart of the safety on block of certain moves so that people can know how hard it is to time the punish against certain moves. The data is only step one, I want to try and turn this into a full fledged guide on how to maximize punishes out of shield, what you do if the opponent spaces you perfectly, and the general mindset you have to have when sitting in shield. Fox seems to struggle at killing, so if we can know every move that can guarantee us an up smash, we will have a much easier time killing, and at worst scare the opponent into not attacking us as often out of fear of us shielding a punishable move. It will take some work, but I feel it can be done.

D

Deleted member 269706

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do this for me, I know the formatting sucked, but that was because my priority was getting all the data out. Anyway, I will definitely use this, and keep it that way from now on. I'm also going to add a reference chart of the safety on block of certain moves so that people can know how hard it is to time the punish against certain moves. The data is only step one, I want to try and turn this into a full fledged guide on how to maximize punishes out of shield, what you do if the opponent spaces you perfectly, and the general mindset you have to have when sitting in shield. Fox seems to struggle at killing, so if we can know every move that can guarantee us an up smash, we will have a much easier time killing, and at worst scare the opponent into not attacking us as often out of fear of us shielding a punishable move. It will take some work, but I feel it can be done.
Hey you're welcome, and thank you for taking the time to do all of this! Just to clarify, the listed moves are not being perfect shielded, just regularly shielded, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Yup, none of them are perfect shielded. I'm pretty sure you could theoretically punish almost every single move in the game with dash usmash OOS on perfect shield. Like, you would literally have to have less than 9 recovery frames on the move to avoid that, which is absolutely crazy. For reference, fox's Ftilt, which is -5 on shield drop, aka very safe when spaced, has 18 recovery frames if you hit on the first frame, and keep in mind how safe this move is. Of course, this doesn't factor in reaction time, but neither does my data, yet.

Rikke

Smash Rookie
NNID
SageDragoon
3DS FC
0473-8198-9847
You sir, deserve a medal of honor for what you are trying to accomplish. like, I can't even to image how much I'll need to thank you in the future (I'm a total lab junkie, I'll probably be studying this data for hours man...).

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Alright, Last night I updated the thread with 14 more characters! Extensive research is necessary for lucario and Olimar, but the other 12 characters have everything except aerials. I only have the last row of characters on the select screen before every non aerial move is complete. I will then use the advantage on block data to create the aerial data for every character, finish up lucario and Olimar, and then start the other two sections which are already listed on the two pages I reserved after the first post.

I will repeat: I need volunteers to do Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta, the last 3 DLC characters. You will receive credit for your work, and I hope you understand that what you would be doing would be a huge help not just to me, but for everyone in these boards, because I am doing this for the metagame of fox.

Feel free to add any comments, concerns or questions regarding the data.

Edit: There is a glitch with the spoiler coding for King DeDeDe. Every time I save changes it makes another spoiler for King DDD under it, and every time it consumes one of the moves from the first spoiler, it's a big pain. I'll fix it at some point.

Last edited:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
The thread is being stupid and glitchy (King DeDeDe keeps cloning himself, and Ryu is in the first Roy spoiler, not to mention the second Roy spoiler. Anyway, I have added every character I own to the list tonight! That means every character except Cloud, Corrin, bayonetta, lucario, and olimar are completely done outside of aerials. This marks the end of manual testing for the characters I didn't list. The aerial testing will be done by using the block data. Again, I need someone to help me with cloud, corrin, and bayonetta, because I don't own them. I would really appreciate it.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
It's been going good but, I accidentally screwed up and deleted All my aerial data. I have to redo all that and then get help with cloud, corrin and bayo. And yes, I use training mode and slow it down, pause during shieldstun, then drop shield immediately and buffer dash attack or usmash or whatever while holding shield with my toe on the other controller. Help would definitely be appreciated :)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
A note on Little Mac: his Side-Smash angled down is not punishable. It deals heavy shield damage (only two breaks shields) and pushback.

For characters with quick jabs (like Little Mac and ZSS), would you factor in shield as their fastest option still? I don't know how this works.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
A note on Little Mac: his Side-Smash angled down is not punishable. It deals heavy shield damage (only two breaks shields) and pushback.

For characters with quick jabs (like Little Mac and ZSS), would you factor in shield as their fastest option still? I don't know how this works.
Do you mean after they hit my shield and I am trying to punish them? Because if so, jab and shield would be the same frame for those two characters, but shield is much easier to test. Shield is always frame 1, and no option can outspeed it, making it the universal fastest option to test with. Is this what you meant?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Do you mean after they hit my shield and I am trying to punish them? Because if so, jab and shield would be the same frame for those two characters, but shield is much easier to test. Shield is always frame 1, and no option can outspeed it, making it the universal fastest option to test with. Is this what you meant?
Oh, alright then. Yeah that's what I meant. For some reason I thought shield would come out later than their jabs, been a while since I looked at frame data.

Top Bottom