• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's CPU AI doesn't understand what CPU levels are

TheRocan64

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one that thinks Fox's (and a handful of other character's) AI does things it shouldn't do like Reflector Dash on CPU Lvl 1? I'm OK with the AI being more aggressive to match the "perfect meta-game" Fox playstyle and being hard as nails on lvl 9, but some AI growth tweaking would be nice so it doesn't Reflector me 9 times then up smashes with no breaks in between.

Keep in mind I don't know how easy that would be to do. Just wanted to put it out there as it looks like no one talks about it from what I see.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
no one really talks about it because most PM players are more competitive players and thus don't fight bots. I find the Fox CPU hilarious. He will do like 10 multishines and then randomly SD. lol.

Miryafa

Smash Apprentice
no one really talks about it because most PM players are more competitive players and thus don't care.
FTF my case. All Project M AIs are tougher than their Melee/Brawl counterparts and all the level 1's do things they shouldn't do. I don't think it matters much since I always either fight level 7's to train my punish game against reasonably-human DI (or so I've heard), or level 9 Fox/Falco's to practice my defensive game.

Last edited:

TheRocan64

Smash Cadet
FTF my case. All Project M AIs are tougher than their Melee/Brawl counterparts and all the level 1's do things they shouldn't do. I don't think it matters much since I always either fight level 7's to train my punish game against reasonably-human DI (or so I've heard), or level 9 Fox/Falco's to practice my defensive game.
Yeah, the AI is fine if you're training hard, but It's also other small things they do that makes no sense like:

• Air dodging away from the ledge and killing themselves because their AI thinks it's better to take a stock then get hit by ledge guarding

• Doing stunts and actions that are un-human, even on lower levels, such as Fox, Luigi, Falco, Lucas (sometimes), and a handfull of others, making it not training but trying not to be exploited by unreal AI

Again, don't know how possible it is to fix these issues, but I wanted to at least put them out there. I don't have many friends over so CPUs are all I have to practice with. When the above issues happen, it's less practice and more juggling with the AI to play correctly. What it does do right, yes, it does very well.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
afaik the AI's movement patterns are fixed on all levels, its rather about the difference in reaction time, the delay being longer the lower the level or something along those lines.

Frost_Aer0

Smash Apprentice
I once got Wall of Pained by a Jiggs in 3.02 in classic mode while training my fawks.

Last edited:

Miryafa

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the AI is fine if you're training hard, but It's also other small things they do that makes no sense like:

• Air dodging away from the ledge and killing themselves because their AI thinks it's better to take a stock then get hit by ledge guarding
That one is a hold-over of Brawl, where air-dodging didn't result in helplessness. The other stuff is just as you said. Training with CPUs just isn't a good replacement for playing with people =/

TheRocan64

Smash Cadet
That one is a hold-over of Brawl, where air-dodging didn't result in helplessness. The other stuff is just as you said. Training with CPUs just isn't a good replacement for playing with people =/
I know. It's still a core part of the game even if it isn't needed for training.

Top Bottom