• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs. Marth matchup?

Pixelan

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure how to play the Fox vs. Marth MU. Most Marths usually dash dance and bait me for a grab and chain grab me/uptilt to regrab. They also shield and wait for me to attack it to get a shield grab. If I stay back and short hop double laser they can run up and attack or grab. My questions are: 1. How do I get out of chain grabs? 2. How do I get out of up throw uptilt regrab? 3. How do I get out of being uptilted when on a platform? (I often get stuck up there) 4. How do I bait a move from them when they are also dash dancing? (I know I can dash dance but Marths is better) 5. What do I do when a Marth gets close to me when I am short hop double lasering?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
This can be a hard matchup if you're on FD, since the CG can be inescapable (as far as I know) if they do it perfectly. When you're going for SHDL make sure you're at a safe distance, and fast enough to react to them approaching.

As far as baiting goes, Marth isn't the only person with a Dash Dance, Fox's is really good too. When I play Marths I'll usually wait for them to get bored and go for a laggy move then punish with a wavedash out of shield into a waveshine or just grab them.

If they're playing patiently and just going for dtilts it can be harder. The biggest way to win this match up is abuse your speed and don't get grabbed. Shine is really good if they approach with anything that's not a grab, although that's rare. Another thing to consider is that waveshine works really well on Marth, and you can kill them at like 97~ with a waveshine upsmash.

Pixelan

Smash Rookie
This can be a hard matchup if you're on FD, since the CG can be inescapable (as far as I know) if they do it perfectly. When you're going for SHDL make sure you're at a safe distance, and fast enough to react to them approaching.

As far as baiting goes, Marth isn't the only person with a Dash Dance, Fox's is really good too. When I play Marths I'll usually wait for them to get bored and go for a laggy move then punish with a wavedash out of shield into a waveshine or just grab them.

If they're playing patiently and just going for dtilts it can be harder. The biggest way to win this match up is abuse your speed and don't get grabbed. Shine is really good if they approach with anything that's not a grab, although that's rare. Another thing to consider is that waveshine works really well on Marth, and you can kill them at like 97~ with a waveshine upsmash.
Thanks for the info, I think I just have to play more patiently. I love going in, but it usually results in me getting shield grabbed lol

Sleepy Driz

Smash Cadet
Drill shine into grab is my favorite approach and you're bound to get some serious percent on them if you connect with the drill and follow up appropriately. If they shield the drill and spam grab, just make sure you L cancel and shine them. If it hits, then you're back to waveshine grab upthrow into whatever you feel like doing to them.

Pixelan

Smash Rookie
Drill shine into grab is my favorite approach and you're bound to get some serious percent on them if you connect with the drill and follow up appropriately. If they shield the drill and spam grab, just make sure you L cancel and shine them. If it hits, then you're back to waveshine grab upthrow into whatever you feel like doing to them.
I agree, I also like this this approach. However, if I see they often Smash DI it, I prefer to go for nair to shine or nair to grab.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, like Meez said, you can camp them out with dashdance and safe lasers, just remember NOT to give up the stage.

Top Bottom