• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Vs. Kirby

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
As a kirby player, i already have my own oppinions about this matchup (prabably a little on sided oppinion >.<) so i have come here to hear the oppinions of the fox players on this matchup, as oppinions generaly differ greatly in differenent character rooms. :psycho:

:kirby:

DarkZeroGSX

Smash Rookie
Well, as a Fox character and Kirby hater, I would say that Fox would kick his *** (Sorry for the spelling)
I dont like solightthatittwilldieat20% character. So kirby's not for me. I usually play with Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik and just got started with Doc.Mario.

Anyway, Fox is too fast for the poor little Kirby.

When I think about that, in the end, all what matter is skills.

anonymous_joe

Smash Apprentice
one of my friends plays kirby i play fox, i kick his ***, he only has one advantage, if i kick him off the side and try to edgeguard him he sucks me up and continues to fall so my only choice is to let it happen because struggling causes you to die and him to live

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
ok i have to play the devils advocate here...

first of all, kirby is as easy to kill as u make him seem... yes he may be light, but he is also small and fast. here we go back to the "pichu effect", making kirby a bit hard to hit. combine that with the best vvertical recovery in the game and proper DI and kirby is a bit hard to kill.

2. kirby is alot faster than u are making him also. i can also play a good fox, so i DO know his speed. grant it fox is a bit faster, but too significantly greater. my guess is u just havent seen a great kirby in action :lick:

3. kirby has a world of hurt waiting for fox. any time fox is forced to use his uB (firefox thingy) to recover, its almost a garunteed death, as he is a sitting duck for kirb's dair. not to mention the fact that kirby can combo the crap outa fox. i would say kirb can kill fox just as easily as fox can kill kirb 8)

4. i do agree, in the end it mostly comes down to skill.

NOW LETS GET SOME INTELIGENT CONVERSATION IN HERE!!!

:kirby:

DarkZeroGSX

Smash Rookie
Dr.Peabody said:
NOW LETS GET SOME INTELIGENT CONVERSATION IN HERE!!!
We are... (At least, the two of us)

I know Kirby is a good character, he doe's got a suicidal when he got no other choice BUT, he lack control. He's slow in the air so he's an easy aim. He lack range too (Is hammer is good, but only on ground) Sure he got something like 5 meteors, but why 5 when one work? And Fox Up+B Dosent mean death for him (Even if it take a while to start off, the ember could hurt Kirby because of his short range) And a good SweetSpotter could make it back to the stage easily. I know he is small, but a good player = good aim. And what's smaller is lighter too no?

Skills are important, but two players with the exact same skills who choose Fox and Kirby... Well, I seriously think that Fox will win.

(Sorry if I made mistake in my spelling)

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
Fox rizzzzapes kirby DP Supreme Tag Team noob-lube69 style with no lube...

When we talk about character matchups please don't use your own personal experiences with your mediocre fox vs someone else's mediocre kirby. Matchup advantages can only be determined when observing matches at the highest levels of competitive gameplay in smash (or by personal accounts from players at that level, not including myself).

In other words, just because you can beat your friend's crapy fox with kirby doesn't mean kirby is good against kirby. Ask PC Chris or Ken or M2K when was the last time they lost to a kirby with their fox and they'll probably just laugh at you.

In conclusion, No Jauns.

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
hey hey hey.. im just playing t he devils advocate here :) ... and no i am not speaking of mediocre players... mostly theoritical situations (gotta back my boy kirby up!!!)

krazykirbykid rates fox as hard (and i believe him... this can be seen at http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=67123&page=1)

now for protesting...

dark zero... kirby doesnt have as short of range as u make him seem also lmao. his dtilt is almost as long as marth's fsmash >.< and kirb's dair goes through fox's uB recover :p

DarkZeroGSX

Smash Rookie
... Do everyone take Ken, M2K and PC Chris as god? Yes they are good, but why fantamysing (Sorry if it was bad spelled) on someone when you could get better than them? It's mostly pratice... That's all I got to say.

Runt

Smash Journeyman
DarkZeroGSX said:
We are... (At least, the two of us)

I know Kirby is a good character, he doe's got a suicidal when he got no other choice BUT, he lack control. He's slow in the air so he's an easy aim. He lack range too (Is hammer is good, but only on ground)
I am also a Kirby player. Kirbys range isnt that bad considering his size and that he dosent walk around with a 20 foot sword like marth does lol. His hammer, I would say, is better in the air and not the ground because it keeps people in combos. The head of the ground hammer is only good for KOing. His ariel hammer is also alot faster and gets to fox before fox can get to him with any really close range attacks.

I find fox to be an average fight (at least the ones i fought before) except for when im up against space animals, which get on my nerves, otherwise i dont think there really that difficult. The only other things that annoy me are the u-smash and the shine of course (but im sure they annoy every other character as well). But the thing is once kirby gets fox off the edge with a simple backthrow (if u dont break out) Kirby can edgeguard fox pretty well with his d-air a few times, and by that time im sure fox isnt making it back.

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
yes, aireal hammer is difinitely better >:D

the uair and usmash are killers >.< , but at least kirby cant be comboed very well wiht that shine

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played KingKirby90 quite a lot when I housed him for a tourney (I bet you Kirby players all know him), and my god he ***** my Fox. I swear that when Fox's off the edge there's not a high he'll make it back. Of course, Upsmash is a major killer against all light characters, but that's only if you can get it in. And against KK90, I didn't think that was easy at all. I play a very mindgamey Fox, and even I could hardly get an upsmash in.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
NGCXX said:
I played KingKirby90 quite a lot when I housed him for a tourney (I bet you Kirby players all know him), and my god he ***** my Fox. I swear that when Fox's off the edge there's not a high he'll make it back. Of course, Upsmash is a major killer against all light characters, but that's only if you can get it in. And against KK90, I didn't think that was easy at all. I play a very mindgamey Fox, and even I could hardly get an upsmash in.
EVERYONE edgeguards Fox well. This is because of his very predictable recovery and he has this problem against every character, not just kirby. It's one of his weaknesses and you have to use anti-edguarding tactics to recover. Unfortunatley,
fox has little options other that firefox, illusion, and shortened illusions. Kirby does combo fox well, but who doesn't? That doesn't automatically mean that Kirby is even/at an advantage against fox. Fox is, overall, the fastest character in the game, and has some frighteningly powerful moves to go with his speed. Kirby is more or less an average speed character that lacks very good KO moves other than edgeguarding an oppoenent to death or meteor smashing. For the most part, Kirby's best way to get fox of the edge is by a bthrow, but even then, fox is one of the more diffucult characters to grab if you l-cancel and shine your ariels. It's not impossible, and the fox WILL get grabbed eventually, but even then, if the kirby grabs at a low percentage, the fox WILL wiggle out. You can beat a fox as kirby, but then again, you could say the same thing about falco vs. ganon or sheik vs link. It's not impossible. Just very hard.

Runt

Smash Journeyman
Gray said:
It's not impossible, and the fox WILL get grabbed eventually, but even then, if the kirby grabs at a low percentage, the fox WILL wiggle out. .
Its not like Kirby will backthrow or f-throw all the time or anything, kirby has many ways to get people off the edge. Plus, most kirby players use only kirbys up and down throws cuz they cant break out (even though im trying to use the forward throw more often to try and come up with new combos, but thats just me) and it keeps them in combos better. D-throw will lead to u-tilts if it isnt teched which will later lead up to up smashes or u-airs. U-throw can sometimes lead to f-airs, u-airs or the ariel hammer wich can also be used in combos. So im just trying to say that kirby has more and better options besises the throws people can wiggle out of.

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
kirby edgegaurds fox ESPECIALLY well, since he can easilly meteor fox WHILE fox is trying to recover. all kirby has to do is knock fox off the ledge, fly out, and intercept him. then only other char that can do this safely is jiggs (maybe peach, but she lacks good vertical recover) and neither of these 2 have an aireal meteor.

Iron

Smash Journeyman
The kirby I played against would play a lot of edge mindgames--dropping down, jumping up, hoping to set up for a u-air or b-kill. Becuase of this, I would often shine-kill him--and unlike Jigglypuff, Kirby is very susceptible to shine kills. Fox doesn't suffer because of Kirby's small size like C-Falco and G-Dorf do. Fox can still connect with his n-air and d-air consistently. Fox was my best match-up against Odin's Kirby. I found my Falco was about even (as far as match-up advantage) and my C-Falcon and G-Dorf were at a disadvantage.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
As a Kirby main, I have to say Fox is one of the hardest matchups for Kirby. U-smash and U-air can kill Kirby at low percentages and shine spikes are just as effective as on any other character... even if Fox has to jump out and spike multiple times. Kirby's only real advantage is his edge guarding and air guarding. Yes, any character can take out a recovering Fox, but this applies especially to Kirby who has meteors, multiple jumps, and Kirbycides at his disposal.

All in all, Fox has the advantage in this fight, but I don't know how much different it would be in the PAL version where Fox's vertical KOs are weaker.

Impp

Smash Ace
Fox doesn't give my Kirby as much trouble as some of the other characters. If I stay on the ground, I can match Fox with anything. Kirby's tilts will even give Fox some trouble. And edge guarding is a cinch with Kirby against Fox. Not saying it'd be an easy fight by any means, but I can see a Kirby with a solid ground game going toe to toe with Fox, even at the pro level.

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
The problem with this match is: kirby has to be perfect in almost any way. if kirby doesnt screw up, then he will be fine, otherwise >.<

yes i agree this is a very difficult match for kirby, and quite a tricky one for fox too

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Sorry, but kirby just isn't versitile enough to take on a fox. SHL to rack up a little damage, drill shine, run, repeat, kill. I'm not sure if drill, grab, uthrow, uair will work or not.

aztecgod89

Smash Rookie
As a newbie fox player and former kirby player on SSB (but who wasnt), Kirby doesn't really have that much against fox's speed and shine. I mean I'm not trying to sound stupid but isn't Kirby a low tier character? I know the tier thing doesnt matter in terms of skill but I think Fox's Up Smash kills kirby and his shine spike.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
Fox can pretty much beat up kirby in this matchup.Things the fox can do are an Uthrow+Uair,shine spik,SHL or SHDL in the air or ground for some quick damage.If you've seen Mew2king(Fox) vs CopyCat(Kirby) you'll know what I'm talking about.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Why was this bumped?

Fox ***** Kirby, period. Kirby has nothing on Fox other than possible edgeguarding, and even then, Fox can outsmart him.

_shadow_fox_

Smash Cadet
I am both a fox and a kirby player. My opinion is that kisby simply pwns this easily.

Many people have trouble playing against fox as kirby but its so easy. You can easily KO at low %s w/kirby.you just have to get them out far and downward enough to make them use fire fox. You can simply dsmash or dair it because it takes so long and always releases at the same time.

I prob can't explain anything well so I shouldn't say much more. Plus, this IS only in myopinion. I haven't played against SERIOUSLY skilled foxes or anything so I wouldn't know for sure. Anyway, this is obvious but PRACTICE ALOT.

well, bye.

SeariousScar

Smash Cadet
My opinion is this matchup is that it is about even between the two. Kirby's neutral game relies on getting a up-tilt that will true combo into another up-tilt... to where he can knock Fox pretty far off stage to where it is easy to hit him with a stray aeriel. Or Kirby can stay above Fox and threaten Fox coming up to hit him by Kirby using his dair. On the other hand, Fox mains should focus on learning how to short-hop double-laser. Run-up short-hop double-laser is very important against a grounded up-tilting Kirby, because it slows downs his up-tilts. In addition to this, immediately after you land, down tilt Kirby. Fox's d-tilt beats Kirby up-tilt in range and sets up combos. When playing against an air Kirby, double-laser full-hop onto platforms.

Top Bottom